HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
He said Trainor, Lavoie, and their goalie Gusse really impressed him from Rimouski. Said Gauthier was strong, played a solid game, and though he didn't have any points, was usually out shutting down the Moose's top line. Overall, said it was a really exciting, even game, and that Rimouski was the toughest team he's seen them play against this year.
Thanks a lot for the input man! Cheers!

Interactif I agree. I really hope we can snag him if we are in the middle of the pack

02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Sean Monahan, a guy we may be in position to draft this June, 2 goals last night on the rebuilding 67's.
He would be an awesome pickup at 6 or 7, definitely has potential to become a quality top six center or even a number one.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
He would be an awesome pickup at 6 or 7, definitely has potential to become a quality top six center or even a number one.
I think he has the potential to be a number 1, but he's more likely to top out as a great number 2 center. Good two-way ability with solid offensive potential.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'm with you and LeafsRocket on this one, at 5, 6, or 7. I would be over the moon if we drafted Monahan. Just the type of bluechip piece down the middle this team needs.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Badger Mayhew

Interactif, have you posted your list in this topic yet?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Calgary will get Jones, just have a feeling. Then they'll trade Iggy and finally rebuild..
As a FLames fan, I can only hope. Help the future, give Iggy the cup he deserves. But the management isn't going to do it. Not after the Hudler/Wideman signings.

Maybe the Kipper injury is a blessing in disguise. Get assets for him and Iggy, finish bottom 3 and add one of Jones/MacK/Barkov/Drouin to baertschi and whatever they get from the Iggy/Kipper trades. Kickstart the rebuild in a huge way.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm with you and LeafsRocket on this one, at 5, 6, or 7. I would be over the moon if we drafted Monahan. Just the type of bluechip piece down the middle this team needs.
At 6 or 7 definitely. Without a doubt actually.

At 5 I'm honestly not sure. I'm preferential to Lindholm but I would honestly be happy with either.

So 5, 6 or 7 I'd be cool with Monahan lol.

Last edited by theIceWookie: 02-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Bit of an OT rant, but it applies to the draft. Been listening to talk radio a lot lately and some calls are bugging me. So here i go......

Is anyone else getting sick and tired of hearing from Leafs "fans" about how Dougie "Norris" Hamilton is the greatest dman since Orr, while in the very next sentence tell us that unless we pick top 5, were getting garbage player?

HELLO! Hamilton was picked 8th!

Then the other day, after the Carolina game, the radio was full of calls

"Gee I wish the Leafs could draft a kid like Jeff Skinner. What a stud. Were going to be picking 7-10 and wont get anyone nearly that good"

Hello! Skinner was picked 7th!

Then probably my favourite "We need Getzlaf and Perry! This team is going nowhere. Going to be stuck with a draft pick out of the elite talent"

Hello! Getzlaf and Perry are mid-late round picks.

Theres one host in particular who keeps cutting off the elite talent at 4 (in any given draft). Im almost certain hes doing it to discredit us drafting 5th last year and taking Rielly.

Im not saying that the chances are just as good at getting elite talent after the top 5. However, it is not impossible. Heck, Schenn was drafted 5th (supposedly cant miss elite) and look at he is (a good serviceable player). Myers was taken 12th in that same draft.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Bit of an OT rant, but it applies to the draft. Been listening to talk radio a lot lately and some calls are bugging me. So here i go......

Is anyone else getting sick and tired of hearing from Leafs "fans" about how Dougie "Norris" Hamilton is the greatest dman since Orr, while in the very next sentence tell us that unless we pick top 5, were getting garbage player?

"Gee I wish the Leafs could draft a kid like Jeff Skinner. What a stud. Were going to be picking 7-10 and wont get anyone nearly that good"

Then probably my favourite "We need Getzlaf and Perry! This team is going nowhere. Going to be stuck with a draft pick out of the elite talent"

Theres one host in particular who keeps cutting off the elite talent at 4 (in any given draft). Im almost certain hes doing it to discredit us drafting 5th last year and taking Rielly.

Im not saying that the chances are just as good at getting elite talent after the top 5. However, it is not impossible. Heck, Schenn was drafted 5th (supposedly cant miss elite) and look at he is (a good serviceable player). Myers was taken 12th in that same draft.
Can't believe you missed Karlsson and Eberle, taken 15th and 22nd respectively in that same draft.

Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 02-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
BertCorbeau

Not to mention Giroux was in the 20's ... Comes down to good scouting and being able to develop the player properly

Leafs have good depth in the system where they can take more chances on players with good skill sets but aren't the best skaters or may not be the biggest players

Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Can't believe you missed Karlsson and Eberle, taken 15th and 22nd respectively in that same draft.

Add em in. Myers was the one that came first to my mind.

Although I find it hilarious that Eberle, selected 22nd, is shaping up to the be the best of there young talent.

Old
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:

I posted the same thing in a thread a few days back. There's no mediocre pick #, just a bad pick. Heck if we want to pick at a certain #, pick at 12th overall. since 2005, players picked at 12th overall, Marc Staal, Bryan Little, Ryan McDonough, Tyler Myers, Calvin Dehann, Cam Fowler, Ryan Murphy (baerstchi at 13th overall), Mikhail Grigerenko. There's some pretty good players on that list.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Add em in. Myers was the one that came first to my mind.

Although I find it hilarious that Eberle, selected 22nd, is shaping up to the be the best of there young talent.
Remember Eberle has a two year head start. It's quite easy to project Hall being much better than Eberle as soon as next year. One has shown the ability to take over games, the other can't quite do that.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
johnny_rudeboy

The 5 latest players to win the Norris was Karlsson drafted 15th, Lidström 53rd, Keith 54th, Chara 56th and Niedermayer 3rd.

The 5 latest Vezina winners was Lundqvist drafted 205th, Thomas 217th, Miller 138th, Brodeur 20th and Kiprusoff 116th.

The 5 latest Selke winners was Bergeron drafted 45, Kesler 23rd, Datsyuk 171th, Brind Amour 9th and Draper 62nd.

So clearly finding quality players is not just about getting top 5 picks. I thought every one understood that. How ever, when you look at the offensive awards they mostly goes to some one who have been picked in the top 3. Hart award have also mostly gone to top 5 picks.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
The 5 latest players to win the Norris was Karlsson drafted 15th, Lidström 53rd, Keith 54th, Chara 56th and Niedermayer 3rd.

The 5 latest Vezina winners was Lundqvist drafted 205th, Thomas 217th, Miller 138th, Brodeur 20th and Kiprusoff 116th.

The 5 latest Selke winners was Bergeron drafted 45, Kesler 23rd, Datsyuk 171th, Brind Amour 9th and Draper 62nd.

So clearly finding quality players is not just about getting top 5 picks. I thought every one understood that. How ever, when you look at the offensive awards they mostly goes to some one who have been picked in the top 3. Hart award have also mostly gone to top 5 picks.
Everyone except those calling into Toronto sports radio, and the host spurring them on apparently.

Seriously, the last week has been "Leafs are a .500 team! What a disaster! Out of the elite draft picks and not good enough for the playoffs (despite us occupying a playoff spot)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Remember Eberle has a two year head start. It's quite easy to project Hall being much better than Eberle as soon as next year. One has shown the ability to take over games, the other can't quite do that.
My biggest fear from Hall is that hes going to break down fast. Eberle plays a style conducive to a long career.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Our new coach, is destroying our chances and my dreams of us drafting Seth Jones...Kadri isn't helping the cause either, it must be true that he's a selfish player afterall

Old
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

That's all fine n dandy if you have faith in your scouting staff

...which I actually do with Morrison at the helm, but he hasnt' been around long enough to fully judge his body of work. He's getting some sweet redemption on the Kadri pick right now I thinks.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

For all the snowed in people(everyone)

Mackinnon and Drouin on sportsnet @ 7pm .

Old
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
mapes

What a play by Nate/Frk, my god!!!

Old
02-08-2013, 08:39 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What a play by Nate/Frk, my god!!!
I wanted Frk so bad last year

Old
02-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
i felt sick when Detroit got him in the mid 2nd round... They always get lucky in the draft!

Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
mapes

Quote:
Same. Deadly shot. His one downside was stupid penalties and wreck less plays at the worst times. He's been extremely good since his last suspension IMO

Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Samesies. I'd move Franson for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:21 PM
eyeball11

For those who get to see him with some degree of regularity, who would you compare Max Domi to? What's his upside?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Offense is easier to project. If the collective hockey world was a little more dedicated to tracking/developing advanced statistics, I think drafting would be a lot more accurate re: defensive/2 way defensemen.

Closed Thread