HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
What are the chances of Thomas playing this year for the NYI?
If it's just this year 0%. Thomas said he was talking a year off and come back next year and try to earn a spot for the Olympics

Old
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
His contract's up after this year so it goes without saying it only applies for this year.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Question stilll is....how the hell is Chiarelli able to pull that off? You'd think that lately every team in the NHL wants to help the Bruins....From the Horton trade, to the Leafs and them sending them Rask, Seguin, Hamilton and Co., the Kelly acquisition for a pick etc. Just great managerial work.

Even the trades that he could have looked stupid, like the Kaberle acquisition, he ended up winning the cup....and the guy that could have come back and bit him in Colborne might happen to never be a NHL'er. He even succeeds in trades he misses....

Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
la25ecoupe

Imagine if they did not lose Savard

Old
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
His contract's up after this year so it goes without saying it only applies for this year.
He is suspended, therefore his contract is on "hold", so if he wants to come back next season, he's still under contract for the Isles.

Is the conditional pick only for this year or if he plays next year the Isles have send the Bs a 2nd round pick?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
He is suspended, therefore his contract is on "hold", so if he wants to come back next season, he's still under contract for the Isles.

Is the conditional pick only for this year or if he plays next year the Isles have send the Bs a 2nd round pick?
I asked the same thing and it's funny cause the pick is 2013 or 2014 so I wonder if he plays next year if it's in the agreement, I hope not!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Question stilll is....how the hell is Chiarelli able to pull that off? You'd think that lately every team in the NHL wants to help the Bruins....From the Horton trade, to the Leafs and them sending them Rask, Seguin, Hamilton and Co., the Kelly acquisition for a pick etc. Just great managerial work.

Even the trades that he could have looked stupid, like the Kaberle acquisition, he ended up winning the cup....and the guy that could have come back and bit him in Colborne might happen to never be a NHL'er. He even succeeds in trades he misses....
You overrate the guy.

Rask was not his move, it was the interim GM just before him who did that... just like signing Chara and Savard. The Kelly acquisition for a 2nd pick was not any better than any other deadline move, he just happened to re-sign him, which is the key here.

Don't get me wrong, Chiarelli has done a great job and the Hamilton/Seguin trade ended up being great for the Bruins. But guys like Lucic, Marchand, Rask, Thomas, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci were in this system way before he came in. He sure did all right in keeping that core and surrounding them well with guys like Horton, Peverley, Kelly, Ryder and Recchi (for the cup year), but Montreal makes those moves and it doesn't pay off as much as it did for the Bruins. Chiarelli inherited a solid core, but still made a mistake or two. Including giving up on Versteeg, and whether people like it or not, not being able to maximize the value of his goaltenders when they both had a great value. Even then, Seguin and Hamilton played absolutely no role in the Bruins Cup run.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post

I think I've heard every sports network refer to it as conditional that he play anywhere this year OR next year (implicit is the understanding that the Islanders are still able to trade his rights as an Islander asset this year OR next year, and that his last NHL contract year would be shifted forward to '13/14 should he sit out the entire '12/13 NHL season). Islanders reap the cap "benefit" (they have to hit the floor, lol) "in perpetuity", in the words of Bob McKenzie.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I asked the same thing and it's funny cause the pick is 2013 or 2014 so I wonder if he plays next year if it's in the agreement, I hope not!
Probably just a typo on your part but it's a conditional 2nd round pick in either 2014 or 2015 I think.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If you listen to Doug MacLean on Sportsnet, it's beyond his comprehension that Campoli is without an NHL job right now. Detroit is another team that might benefit from a little more puck movement/creativity from the back, but I'm not sure Campoli makes a good Red Wing. I think their standards would be hard to maintain for a guy like him, who isn't necessarily blessed with the best defensive awareness or decision-making.
Detroit needs Kaberle badly and for a 2013 1st Montreal might be willing to give him up.

Well we might have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd rounder but it would be better than keeping Kabs.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Detroit needs Kaberle badly and for a 2013 1st Montreal might be willing to give him up.

Well we might have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd rounder but it would be better than keeping Kabs.
At the way the current market is, I'd be overly joyed with a 3rd rounder.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
2 edm scouts at the bulldogs game... doesn't mean nothing but it's a boring night

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
2 edm scouts at the bulldogs game... doesn't mean nothing but it's a boring night
Maybe a prospect for Theo Peckham?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We already have so many defenseman in the NHL right now, why trade a prospect for another one? Especially for one that can't even make a marginal at best D squad.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
We already have so many defenseman in the NHL right now, why trade a prospect for another one? Especially for one that can't even make a marginal at best D squad.
I was just throwing it outhere... Maybe Bergevin is looking at a cheap, big physical D-man that could clear the crease and Theo Peckham fits that bill.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:07 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

@Ohashi saying Detroit D is too good for Campoli. Not by much. They have "developed" Ericsson and signed Colaiacovo.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
You overrate the guy.

Rask was not his move, it was the interim GM just before him who did that... just like signing Chara and Savard. The Kelly acquisition for a 2nd pick was not any better than any other deadline move, he just happened to re-sign him, which is the key here.

Don't get me wrong, Chiarelli has done a great job and the Hamilton/Seguin trade ended up being great for the Bruins. But guys like Lucic, Marchand, Rask, Thomas, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci were in this system way before he came in. He sure did all right in keeping that core and surrounding them well with guys like Horton, Peverley, Kelly, Ryder and Recchi (for the cup year), but Montreal makes those moves and it doesn't pay off as much as it did for the Bruins. Chiarelli inherited a solid core, but still made a mistake or two. Including giving up on Versteeg, and whether people like it or not, not being able to maximize the value of his goaltenders when they both had a great value. Even then, Seguin and Hamilton played absolutely no role in the Bruins Cup run.
Now, I do understand what moves happen before and during his GM time. I do know that Rask isn't his move, yet, it is just about my "Bruins have all the luck" tirade. Now, I do go on by saying that Chiarelli is great and yet, he is. I have no idea what your point is. I'm overrating him yet, your giving me all the reasons to do so by pointing out the great moves he made. So Kelly was "just" a deadline move, yet, contrary to us, he ended up re-signing Kelly and the guy is still a very good defensive forward, helping the Bruins. While Dominic Moore is...gone. No matter what kind of move he made, it worked and still works. No matter what role Seguin played in the cup...he is still an awesome acquisition....Chiarelli had indeed started with a great group of guys, but surrounded them well and won a Cup. But also succeeded in building a future. Not sure how that's overrated. He will make mistakes, like every GM....who cares. He won, and his team is STILL at the top and will be for years to come. You are allowed to make mistakes based on that. Holland in Detroit didn't make solely great moves, yet was and will be known as one of the greatest GM out there.

But Chiarelli's trades are amongst the best in recent years. From short term to longer term. Reechi AND a 2nd rounder for Lashoff and Karsums. The Seidenberg acquisition...people underestimate the importance of that very good d-man. While he had to get rid of Wheeler, even Peverley played a good role for them. That's the other trades...aside from the Kessel trade who permitted Chiarelli to not only keep a very good team, but prepared a future very good team.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
I was just throwing it outhere... Maybe Bergevin is looking at a cheap, big physical D-man that could clear the crease and Theo Peckham fits that bill.
Well if we were to make a move on Peckham I'd prefer if we traded someone like Weber since Peckham like you described would fill a need for our team. He could be the #7 next year when Tinordi replaces Bouillon.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Peckham sucks.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Well if we were to make a move on Peckham I'd prefer if we traded someone like Weber since Peckham like you described would fill a need for our team. He could be the #7 next year when Tinordi replaces Bouillon.
Peckham should not be in the NHL, if you want to throw Weber away for nothing that would be a good way to do it.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If he can't crack their lineup why do we want him?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Now, I do understand what moves happen before and during his GM time. I do know that Rask isn't his move, yet, it is just about my "Bruins have all the luck" tirade. Now, I do go on by saying that Chiarelli is great and yet, he is. I have no idea what your point is. I'm overrating him yet, your giving me all the reasons to do so by pointing out the great moves he made. So Kelly was "just" a deadline move, yet, contrary to us, he ended up re-signing Kelly and the guy is still a very good defensive forward, helping the Bruins. While Dominic Moore is...gone. No matter what kind of move he made, it worked and still works. No matter what role Seguin played in the cup...he is still an awesome acquisition....Chiarelli had indeed started with a great group of guys, but surrounded them well and won a Cup. But also succeeded in building a future. Not sure how that's overrated. He will make mistakes, like every GM....who cares. He won, and his team is STILL at the top and will be for years to come. You are allowed to make mistakes based on that. Holland in Detroit didn't make solely great moves, yet was and will be known as one of the greatest GM out there.

But Chiarelli's trades are amongst the best in recent years. From short term to longer term. Reechi AND a 2nd rounder for Lashoff and Karsums. The Seidenberg acquisition...people underestimate the importance of that very good d-man. While he had to get rid of Wheeler, even Peverley played a good role for them. That's the other trades...aside from the Kessel trade who permitted Chiarelli to not only keep a very good team, but prepared a future very good team.
He has done well but Thomas pulling a Patrick Roy out of nowhere won them a cup more than great trades.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If he can't crack their lineup why do we want him?
To give the O'Byrne fans a new champion?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
To give the O'Byrne fans a new champion?
zing

Old
02-09-2013, 09:26 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Maybe it's for a swap of two struggling prospects that need a change of scenery?

Leblanc and MSP?

Closed Thread