HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Fogarty not getting much ice time at all.

Nieves looking good on the PP. He dictates play when he's on the ice - clearly the go-to player on the Wolverine team. As a freshman. Amazing.

He needs to be in our top 5 in the next prospect rankings.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The Isles also have a nice 6th round pick in Anders Lee.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
SnowblindNYR

Seriously, can someone tell me a bit about him other than his stats. I'd rather hear it from posters than outdated scouting reports. Sounds like he's a good physical specimen.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Clark and Gorton know what they're doing. I feel very confident with them in charge of bringing in young talent.

Its exciting to see so many quality players coming through the system.

Slats should get credit here too. People are acting like he has nothing to do with our drafting. At the end of the day, he's the final decision-maker. If we weren't drafting well, this whole forum would be blaming Slats first and foremost, so why not give him credit when the situation is reversed?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Slats should get credit here too. People are acting like he has nothing to do with our drafting. At the end of the day, he's the final decision-maker. If we weren't drafting well, this whole forum would be blaming Slats first and foremost, so why not give him credit when the situation is reversed?
because people only remember the 2000-2007 sather and there is absolutely nothing he can do that will get credit from a number of rangers fans.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Seems like a lot of guys with second liner potential. Did we think we had a bunch of second line prospects during the dark ages?

No, we kept thinking that our top prospects (Dube, Savard, Cherneski, Brendl, Lundmark, Holmqvist, Blackburn, Tyutin) were going to be All Stars. Only Savard panned out as such, and Tyutin is ok. Two guys retired due to injury.

Cherneski looked great, could've easily become a 30-goal scorer. He was like a faster version of Adam Graves. His loss hurt a lot. He was only sent down to the AHL for a few weeks, was the last cut about 24 hours before the regular season began. His knee was destroyed into little pieces. Looked horrible on the X-ray.

But anyway, there was never a feeling between 1998 and 2003 that we have a lot of prospects.

To be honest, after the 1995 draft I felt the Rangers were in really good shape, and after getting burned there, I have been extremely apprehensive about saying anything good about our prospects until I see very, very distinct signs from them. My Islander fan friend is still throwing Dube in my face, I kid you not.

But at the time, Dube looked great in the juniors and so did Savard. Mike Martin, a tough defensive defenseman managed to score for over a point per game. Bob Maudie exploded for over 100 points, and there was hope that he was a really good prospect (turned out he was just Iginla's center). Vasiliev looked terrific in the Russian league, and you could tell quickly that Purinton will become a low-end NHLer. And that's all just from the 1995 draft.

We had Norstom growing into his own. He was called "untouchable" literally 2 days before he was traded with Ferraro for the injured McSorley, washed-up Kurri and useless Churla.

There was also the belief that Cloutier might become a really good goalie. Sundstrom was presented by Rangers PR as the next Jari Kurri. Even Lee Sorochan, Maxim Galanov, Joby Messier and Barry Richter were seen as quality prospects. The Ferraro brothers kept going hot/cold one after another, but were seen as real prospects. Blouin was a brutally good fighter, but couldn't do anything else.

After this bunch came Jeff Brown and Wes Jarvis on defense, and there was Dan Goneau, who scored over a point per game in his first 10 games of the 1996-97 season, only to peter out completely. The same happened to Vorobiev, who within a dozen games was on the RW with Messier and Graves, scoring like crazy, only to completely disappear from the scene just as quickly as he made his debut.

The prospects of the mid-90s were just a big disappointment. And after them it was just terrible drafting. For half a dozen years, it felt terrible. Every season I argued on AOL's Rangers board that we need to rebuild, and was abused for calling on the team to trade away Leetch, Beuk, even guys like Momesso and Flatley. Everyone wanted to add to the team, everyone felt that we are only 1-2 players away from the playoffs, and once you make it, even as a #8 seed, "anything can happen."

I can't describe how relieved and happy I was when we decided to clean the house 9 years ago.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

One thing that is crystal clear watching this game - Nieves is CLEARLY a center. As I said before, he absolutely dictates play when he's on the ice. You can actually see him as he pushes the envelope of his game to see what he can do.

We have a gem here, folks.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Fogarty on the other hand is showing nothing, in part because he seems to be on a very short leash.

Getting very little ice time - and appears to have strict instructions to change the moment ND gets the puck into the offensive zone.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:05 PM
ecemleafs

Nieves looks awesome. Very good passer with really good awareness and hes got that in a very large frame that can really move on the ice.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

GORGEOUS feed by Nieves on the rush just now, but the winger couldn't beat the goalie. (Drew a penalty on the D, however.)

Old
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Nieves looks awesome. Very good passer with really good awareness and hes got that in a very large frame that can really move on the ice.
How is he as a goal scorer?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I don't think Fogarty's seen the ice since about 5 min of the 3rd period.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
How is he as a goal scorer?
looked pass first but seems to have a good shot. his goal was in a wide open net but he was in the slot where a goal scorer needs to be. puck came out to him from behind the net and he fired it into the net. hes got really good vision though. i know its one game but for a freshman to play that well is really exciting, especially as he will have no physical barriers to excel at the next level.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
No, we kept thinking that our top prospects (Dube, Savard, Cherneski, Brendl, Lundmark, Holmqvist, Blackburn, Tyutin) were going to be All Stars. Only Savard panned out as such, and Tyutin is ok. Two guys retired due to injury.

Cherneski looked great, could've easily become a 30-goal scorer. He was like a faster version of Adam Graves. His loss hurt a lot. He was only sent down to the AHL for a few weeks, was the last cut about 24 hours before the regular season began. His knee was destroyed into little pieces. Looked horrible on the X-ray.

But anyway, there was never a feeling between 1998 and 2003 that we have a lot of prospects.

To be honest, after the 1995 draft I felt the Rangers were in really good shape, and after getting burned there, I have been extremely apprehensive about saying anything good about our prospects until I see very, very distinct signs from them. My Islander fan friend is still throwing Dube in my face, I kid you not.

But at the time, Dube looked great in the juniors and so did Savard. Mike Martin, a tough defensive defenseman managed to score for over a point per game. Bob Maudie exploded for over 100 points, and there was hope that he was a really good prospect (turned out he was just Iginla's center). Vasiliev looked terrific in the Russian league, and you could tell quickly that Purinton will become a low-end NHLer. And that's all just from the 1995 draft.

We had Norstom growing into his own. He was called "untouchable" literally 2 days before he was traded with Ferraro for the injured McSorley, washed-up Kurri and useless Churla.

There was also the belief that Cloutier might become a really good goalie. Sundstrom was presented by Rangers PR as the next Jari Kurri. Even Lee Sorochan, Maxim Galanov, Joby Messier and Barry Richter were seen as quality prospects. The Ferraro brothers kept going hot/cold one after another, but were seen as real prospects. Blouin was a brutally good fighter, but couldn't do anything else.

After this bunch came Jeff Brown and Wes Jarvis on defense, and there was Dan Goneau, who scored over a point per game in his first 10 games of the 1996-97 season, only to peter out completely. The same happened to Vorobiev, who within a dozen games was on the RW with Messier and Graves, scoring like crazy, only to completely disappear from the scene just as quickly as he made his debut.

The prospects of the mid-90s were just a big disappointment. And after them it was just terrible drafting. For half a dozen years, it felt terrible. Every season I argued on AOL's Rangers board that we need to rebuild, and was abused for calling on the team to trade away Leetch, Beuk, even guys like Momesso and Flatley. Everyone wanted to add to the team, everyone felt that we are only 1-2 players away from the playoffs, and once you make it, even as a #8 seed, "anything can happen."

I can't describe how relieved and happy I was when we decided to clean the house 9 years ago.
This is a terrific post, very informative about some really dark days for this franchise. Some of the guys we drafted make you wonder about our ability to both analyze and then develop young talent.
Some of the trades Neal Smith made were downright head scratchers! Well done!

Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
This is a terrific post, very informative about some really dark days for this franchise. Some of the guys we drafted make you wonder about our ability to both analyze and then develop young talent.
Some of the trades Neal Smith made were downright head scratchers! Well done!
I think it's more developing. We had much better coaches since the lockout. We actually have had systems. A lot of these players are two way players that our system is good for.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boo Nieves likes the left wing wall on the PP.

Brady Skjei made a nice pass to Nate Schmidt. Made it 4-2

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/...lights?s=80207

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Boo Nieves likes the left wing wall on the PP.

Brady Skjei made a nice pass to Nate Schmidt. Made it 4-2

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/...lights?s=80207
Is that his 1st point since Oct.?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
One thing that is crystal clear watching this game - Nieves is CLEARLY a center. As I said before, he absolutely dictates play when he's on the ice. You can actually see him as he pushes the envelope of his game to see what he can do.

We have a gem here, folks.
Scouting report at the time was that he was a shifty, playmaking center. He is a very intriguing prospect when you look at his size and skating ability along with those hands.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Is there even a small chance that between Miller, Stepan, and Nieves someone can replace Richards as a legit #1 C at some point?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Everyone assumes that Nieves benefits from being on a bad team because he gets to be on the first line this way, but the reality may be that he could've scored even more with better quality players around him. Every time I see him, he looks like a legit college first liner.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Is there even a small chance that between Miller, Stepan, and Nieves someone can replace Richards as a legit #1 C at some point?
I want Richards gone regardless by the end of the amnesty period.

I think Miller could be ready to fill in for a 2C role next year if he develops chemistry with Kreider and Callahan. Nieves, I hope he spends 2-3 more years in college and becomes one of the best players there before turning pro.

Next season, run with Stepan-Miller-Boyle-Halpern and continue restocking/developing young centers or wait to strike for another 1C in free agency when the time is right.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I want Richards gone regardless by the end of the amnesty period.

I think Miller could be ready to fill in for a 2C role next year if he develops chemistry with Kreider and Callahan. Nieves, I hope he spends 2-3 more years in college and becomes one of the best players there before turning pro.

Next season, run with Stepan-Miller-Boyle-Halpern and continue restocking/developing young centers or wait to strike for another 1C in free agency when the time is right.
That's actually a pretty good plan and I agree with it except for one thing: If Richards is gone, you still need a 1st line center to replace him.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
That's actually a pretty good plan and I agree with it except for one thing: If Richards is gone, you still need a 1st line center to replace him.
Yeah that's the big problem here. Technically we need Richards because he is still a productive centerman (at least on the scoresheet), however I think it best benefits us in the long term to get rid of his contract ASAP because his on ice play has been far from impressive during his Ranger tenure here. I think he should be able to get a great return since 1Cs are the highest valued commodity in the NHL. The Rangers should get at the very least a good prospect, a filler roster player and a 1st Rounder from a team desperate enough for a 1C. Next year without Richards will be a mini-retooling period by 'letting the kids play' and they can look at the deadline for a guy like Pavelski and sign him to a long term deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Hoping Nieves can continue his progression and be a play making center who can be great on the PP. Kinda like Adam Oates-light would be awesome.

As for centers next year; I know many of you want Richards gone but that won't happen. Next year's centers will most likely be;

Richards, Stepan, Miller, Lindberg.

Boyle will be on Lindberg's wing, and Halpern will most likely be gone.

If Tampa Bay does buyout Vinny L though there's always the possibility he comes to NY for much less $$$ (or Montreal) which would change everything.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:30 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I didn't say he doesn't deserve credit. And I've been one of his defenders in this regard for a long time.

But, Clark especially, and Gorton are really in the trenches in regards to player development and scouting.

Sather has put very good people in good places.

Closed Thread