Notices

The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 250
^playing with some sort of emotion will be a huge start.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Sportserie

vCash: 500
^ Amen.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Wait... Most top prospects aren't living up to expectations? I count one, maybe two in Granlund and Bulmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Three if you count Phillips. Hackett is working his way into the conversation, but that might just be ****** defense in front of him.

Still, it's not "most" of our top prospects.
Look at the scrolling list at the top of the page: Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, Dumba, Larsson, Hackett, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, and Lucia.

Who on that list has met or exceeded expectations this season? Brodin and Zucker certainly have. Larsson has likely met a fan's expectations too. Lucia as well. But Granlund, Coyle, Dumba, Hackett, Phillips, and Bulmer have either not met expectations, or if they have, your goalposts have moved to justify their play. That's 6 right there, and 3 of the top-4 that have had disappointing seasons to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
If you build a fast car and your driver sucks, you do not fire the mechanic.
I find it ironic that you use the word "fast" here. This team isn't a fast car--literally too. Fletcher has yet to build a fast car. If he had, even a mediocre driver could have run up front with it.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Granlund 64

How has Coyle not met expectations? Same for Dumba?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Sportsfan1

People always think the grass is greener on the other side of the hill. Well if you fire Yeo you absolutey have to go with a veteran coach this 3rd go around. So whose a veteran coach out there right now with legit credibility? I'm sure fans would be thrilled if Ron Wilson walked back in the door.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
How has Coyle not met expectations? Same for Dumba?
Coyle:

44 games
14 goals
10 assists
24 points
69 shots

all with first line minutes and linemates is meeting expectations?

Dumba:

-dramatic drop in production
-missing out on the WJC team (I believe highest eligible draft pick to miss not due to injury)

Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Granlund 64

I must admit I don't look at points much. Coyle and, to a lesser extent, Dumba - looked like they weren't in over their heads facing pros.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:39 AM
10dynasty38*

I'm in the camp of fire Yeo. I never liked him from the start. Prepare for next year.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Look at the scrolling list at the top of the page: Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, Dumba, Larsson, Hackett, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, and Lucia.

Who on that list has met or exceeded expectations this season? Brodin and Zucker certainly have. Larsson has likely met a fan's expectations too. Lucia as well. But Granlund, Coyle, Dumba, Hackett, Phillips, and Bulmer have either not met expectations, or if they have, your goalposts have moved to justify their play. That's 6 right there, and 3 of the top-4 that have had disappointing seasons to date.

I find it ironic that you use the word "fast" here. This team isn't a fast car--literally too. Fletcher has yet to build a fast car. If he had, even a mediocre driver could have run up front with it.
Quote:
Coyle:

44 games
14 goals
10 assists
24 points
69 shots

Dumba:

-missing out on the WJC team (I believe highest eligible draft pick to miss not due to injury)
For Coyle, it depends on what your expectations were. I think he was top 15 in rookie scoring when he was called up. I'd put him in the 'met expectations' group, I wasn't expecting him to lead the AHL in scoring.

As for Dumba, the WJC cut was a bit disappointing, but he was also the youngest defenseman at the tryout. If he misses next year, then it might be something to look at. I don't really pay any mind to the production drop. He's obviously on a worse team than he has been previously but we know that the offensive abilities haven't disappeared. It's all about his defensive game right now. I'd say he's a question mark.

And Hackett is doing fine as well.

So we have 4 that have exceeded/met expectations, 3-4 that are disappointing and 2-3 you could make arguments for either way. Nobody's prospect pool bats 1.000, it's not the end of the world.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 02-09-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old
02-09-2013, 06:44 AM
toewsintangibles

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...6+63+67#snip=f

Yeo is playing Granlund in more defensive zone starts than Mikko Koivu. Curious..

Old
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
People always think the grass is greener on the other side of the hill. Well if you fire Yeo you absolutey have to go with a veteran coach this 3rd go around. So whose a veteran coach out there right now with legit credibility? I'm sure fans would be thrilled if Ron Wilson walked back in the door.
This is an easy one! You have a veteran coach on the bench in Rick Wilson, let him finish the season as an interim coach. Wilson has been one of Dave Tippetts coaches as well as a player with him during his playing days. Tippett wanted Wilson on his staff in PHX, but the NHL owned team did not have the funds to keep Wilson. Let him finish the season, and at seasons end bring in Tippett who will be free to sign in any city he likes upon the relocation of the Coyotes!

Old
02-09-2013, 10:59 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Coyle:

44 games
14 goals
10 assists
24 points
69 shots

Dumba:

Way to prove your own unreasonable expectations.

If you thought Coyle was ever going to be more than a 30/30 power forward, you are kidding yourself.

He is completely on track with being an impact top-6 forward, but he was never supposed to be an offensive force. That's not his game.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Karl

No it would just send even more of a message of chaos. This team will get it turned around.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
This is an easy one! You have a veteran coach on the bench in Rick Wilson, let him finish the season as an interim coach. Wilson has been one of Dave Tippetts coaches as well as a player with him during his playing days. Tippett wanted Wilson on his staff in PHX, but the NHL owned team did not have the funds to keep Wilson. Let him finish the season, and at seasons end bring in Tippett who will be free to sign in any city he likes upon the relocation of the Coyotes!
Rick Wilson, the defensive guru? Has been here since Todd Richards, and our defense has not gotten better. He is one of the problems! If Yeo goes, hopefully he will go as well.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Rick Wilson, the defensive guru? Has been here since Todd Richards, and our defense has not gotten better. He is one of the problems! If Yeo goes, hopefully he will go as well.
Rick Wilson is not the issue, it is the talent on the blueline (sans Suter) that is the problem! Since burns was traded away the Wild have been pretending to have d-men! The corp is completely inadequate, this a Fletcher malady!

Old
02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Granlund 64

Bacon and Tom Gilbert say hello. The Wild easily have three top four defense.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Rick Wilson is not the issue, it is the talent on the blueline (sans Suter) that is the problem! Since burns was traded away the Wild have been pretending to have d-men! The corp is completely inadequate, this a Fletcher malady!
Not keeping Brent Burns was one of Fletch's best moves. Horrible on the back-end, good on PP/offensively. And like Cullen and Clutterbuck, disappears during the second half of the season. At $3-$4MM, he would have been okay to re-up. Not with what he got.

BTW, with his close to $6MM paycheck, I am sure the SJS are not really thrilled behind the scenes, with what they paid him. I don't believe he has played a game this year. If he has, it was just in the past week or so. Perhaps him being out of the line-up was among the reasons the SJS had such a strong start.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Our defense talent is fine and our d zone coverage is actually quite good.

We just have the occasional brain cramp or lack of effort that results in a quick goal.

Which is kind of expected three weeks after a long layoff.

Our blue lines problem is that they didn't play anywhere during the lockout, not because they don't have talent or are coached poorly.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:29 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Burns sucked in the d end. He would frequently make bad decisions, and yes he could help in the o zone, but he helped get us scored on often enough to wash out the good things he did.

Gilbert, is good.
Brodin, are you seriously putting him in the dog house?! I just don't even know what to say about this...
Suter, he's been alright, he'll figure it out.
Little Spurg, does a decent job.
Falk, eh, hot and cold usually.
Stoner, hot and cold... Makes some really nice plays, then some really stupid ones...
Prosser, is he still here?

Our top are actually pretty good. Bottom 2 we need to work on.

By the way, not many teams out there have 6-7 truly strong d, hence, we're not nearly as bad as the naysayers like to say; been WAY too much damned squawkin' lately

Old
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
^playing with some sort of emotion will be a huge start.
That would be on the players and not necessarily the coach.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That was me absolutely botching a few moved posts. Working on fixing it.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Yikes.

Last edited by Jarick: 02-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That was me absolutely botching a few moved posts. Working on fixing it.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Yikes.
Hand in your badge. Your gift basket is by the front door.

But again; YEO ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Hand in your badge. Your gift basket is by the front door.

But again; YEO ISN'T THE PROBLEM.
Oh my ****ing lord. The WHOLE team is underperforming. Wonder where that comes from...

Old
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Oh my ****ing lord. The WHOLE team is underperforming. Wonder where that comes from...
The players?

They have always woefully underperformed. Under Lemaire (swept twice), under Richards, under Yeo. Hmm. We've changed two coaches, we've brought in a dozen or so players, and guess what? They have continually underperformed.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
The players?

They have always woefully underperformed. Under Lemaire (swept twice), under Richards, under Yeo. Hmm. We've changed two coaches, we've brought in a dozen or so players, and guess what? They have continually underperformed.
No, it comes from the coach. When players lose their faith in the system, disaster strikes.

This is a totally different team than with Lemaire. Or with Richards. This has nothing to do with the other two coaches. Actually, the Wild didn't even "underperform" back in the days of those two. They performed the way they we're capable of, because the team was bad. Now it isn't, and the Wild have to find a coach that meets the expectations.

Closed Thread