HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

News from practice 2-8-2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  #51
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Tatar and Andersson are getting showcased. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I remember reading an article a while back about the Atlanta Braves and how they put all the players they actually like in AA, and then their AAAA-depth guys and their trade bait play in AAA. That way, other teams get a much better look at the guys they want to deal and are less likely to demand their "keeper" prospects in trade talks.

I'm just spitballing here, but stay with me - they needed a backup goalie and they called up McCollum, not Mrazek (this one backfired on Holland because he sucks and Babcock wouldn't play him). They needed a scoring line player and they called up Tatar, not Nyquist. They needed a big body and they called up Andersson, not Sheahan.

These are not the cream of the Wings' crop here. They're very specifically calling up the guys they DON'T appear to want to keep long-term.
So Mrazek isn't part of the wings future? :S

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
  #52
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
So Mrazek isn't part of the wings future? :S
He's saying it backfired. As in, Kenny wanted McCollum to be "tradebait" protecting Mrazek, the keeper.

But it backfired because they couldn't showcase McCollum because McCollum sucks and Babcock wouldn't play him. So Holland was forced to bring up Mrazek to be an actual backup.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:48 PM
  #53
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,626
vCash: 500
What's everyone's obsession over height about?

Nyquist is a much better player than Andersson is. He should play.

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
  #54
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
What's everyone's obsession over height about?

Nyquist is a much better player than Andersson is. He should play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka
They call a big guy and Griffins net-front present Andersson, when a big guy and a net-front present Bertuzzi gets injured.

Really simple logic.
Really simple logic.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
  #55
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Cleary shouldnt be in the top six of the Griffins, let alone the Wings.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
  #56
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Cleary shouldnt be in the top six of the Griffins, let alone the Wings.
Since when does Cleary have to do with an injury report?

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:26 PM
  #57
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Since when does Cleary have to do with an injury report?
Thread title
News from practice

See someone mention Dan Clary was practicing in the top six.

I made it as simple as possible for you to understand.

You should read a thread before trying to act cool and jumping on every post i make. I ignore 99% of your posts. You should do the same with mine. You bore me.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
  #58
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Thread title
News from practice

See someone mention Dan Clary was practicing in the top six.

I made it as simple as possible for you to understand.

You should read a thread before trying to act cool and jumping on every post i make. I ignore 99% of your posts. You should do the same with mine. You bore me.
Just put him on your actual ignore list, a bunch of us already have. Lowers the blood pressure.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:33 PM
  #59
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
He's saying it backfired. As in, Kenny wanted McCollum to be "tradebait" protecting Mrazek, the keeper.

But it backfired because they couldn't showcase McCollum because McCollum sucks and Babcock wouldn't play him. So Holland was forced to bring up Mrazek to be an actual backup.
Thank you, sir. That's precisely what I was saying.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
  #60
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Tatar and Andersson are getting showcased. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I remember reading an article a while back about the Atlanta Braves and how they put all the players they actually like in AA, and then their AAAA-depth guys and their trade bait play in AAA. That way, other teams get a much better look at the guys they want to deal and are less likely to demand their "keeper" prospects in trade talks.

I'm just spitballing here, but stay with me - they needed a backup goalie and they called up McCollum, not Mrazek (this one backfired on Holland because he sucks and Babcock wouldn't play him). They needed a scoring line player and they called up Tatar, not Nyquist. They needed a big body and they called up Andersson, not Sheahan.

These are not the cream of the Wings' crop here. They're very specifically calling up the guys they DON'T appear to want to keep long-term.
I think Ken Holland's fetish for veterans is breeding general paranoia over playing prospects. Young guys getting a shot is actually what most teams do. We are the exception, not the rule.

If they wanted to showcase Tatar, why not a top six role?

How many teams really bury their coveted prospects in the ECHL...

icKx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
  #61
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I think Ken Holland's fetish for veterans is breeding general paranoia over playing prospects. Young guys getting a shot is actually what most teams do. We are the exception, not the rule.

If they wanted to showcase Tatar, why not a top six role?

How many teams really bury their coveted prospects in the ECHL...
If you buy everything sarcastro said, then Babcock isn't fully on board. He didn't give McCollum any games to showcase him. So it's conceivable that the reason Tatar isn't play top6 is because Babcock didn't want to give Tatar that spot, even if Holland wanted him to.

It's a little too conspiracy theory for me, and I figure that if Holland and upper management have that sort of plan, they would have let Babcock in on it and would have, well, told him to play ball. If Babcock is being that belligerent about it, then I couldn't see him being coach for that much longer.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
  #62
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I think Ken Holland's fetish for veterans is breeding general paranoia over playing prospects. Young guys getting a shot is actually what most teams do. We are the exception, not the rule.

If they wanted to showcase Tatar, why not a top six role?

How many teams really bury their coveted prospects in the ECHL...
This is misleading. Most young guys on all 30 teams in the league for numerous reasons, none of witch are "ZOMG, YOUNG GUN, PLAY HIM NAOWWW"! You see young guys getting a chance for other teams more often than the Red Wings because A). They are a small market team, and must heavily rely on young, cheap talent to compete, B). They are rebuilding or are finishing a successful (Or unsuccessful legacy of fail in the case of the Islanders) rebuild, C). Injuries, or D). The team has invested most of its cap space in too few players and must rely on cheap talent (See, New York Rangers).

Are any of these factors affecting the Wings? Well, they aren't a small market team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the only Wings taking up more than $5 million in cap space. We aren't rebuilding (yet)... We HAVE been seeing the young guys play while the regulars are injured.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
  #63
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Jman has a new BS excuse in every thread.
Stick with one, JMAN.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:48 AM
  #64
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
This is misleading. Most young guys on all 30 teams in the league for numerous reasons, none of witch are "ZOMG, YOUNG GUN, PLAY HIM NAOWWW"! You see young guys getting a chance for other teams more often than the Red Wings because A). They are a small market team, and must heavily rely on young, cheap talent to compete, B). They are rebuilding or are finishing a successful (Or unsuccessful legacy of fail in the case of the Islanders) rebuild, C). Injuries, or D). The team has invested most of its cap space in too few players and must rely on cheap talent (See, New York Rangers).

Are any of these factors affecting the Wings? Well, they aren't a small market team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the only Wings taking up more than $5 million in cap space. We aren't rebuilding (yet)... We HAVE been seeing the young guys play while the regulars are injured.
Man, not even close. Not even remotely....gah...

Nevermind.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:33 AM
  #65
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
He's saying it backfired. As in, Kenny wanted McCollum to be "tradebait" protecting Mrazek, the keeper.

But it backfired because they couldn't showcase McCollum because McCollum sucks and Babcock wouldn't play him. So Holland was forced to bring up Mrazek to be an actual backup.
Ah, that makes more sense.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:52 AM
  #66
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Man, not even close. Not even remotely....gah...

Nevermind.
I actually bothered to run through each team and consider the factors as to why they would use young talent. So as far as I'm concerned, this is just drivel disguised as a response meant to be a one-timer. Outside of those factors, most teams follow the Wings route and wait a couple years before playing them.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
  #67
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
This is misleading. Most young guys on all 30 teams in the league for numerous reasons, none of witch are "ZOMG, YOUNG GUN, PLAY HIM NAOWWW"! You see young guys getting a chance for other teams more often than the Red Wings because A). They are a small market team, and must heavily rely on young, cheap talent to compete, B). They are rebuilding or are finishing a successful (Or unsuccessful legacy of fail in the case of the Islanders) rebuild, C). Injuries, or D). The team has invested most of its cap space in too few players and must rely on cheap talent (See, New York Rangers).

Are any of these factors affecting the Wings? Well, they aren't a small market team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the only Wings taking up more than $5 million in cap space. We aren't rebuilding (yet)... We HAVE been seeing the young guys play while the regulars are injured.
Who cares why the young guys are up for other teams. The fact is those young players on top-tier teams like Nee York, etc. are making a huge difference while costing barely anything and bringing an added dimension to the locker room.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:04 AM
  #68
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Who cares why the young guys are up for other teams. The fact is those young players on top-tier teams like Nee York, etc. are making a huge difference while costing barely anything and bringing an added dimension to the locker room.
They ain't makin' much of a difference in the Big Apple, I'll tell you that much.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:05 AM
  #69
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
They ain't makin' much of a difference in the Big Apple, I'll tell you that much.
Whatever you say.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
  #70
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Whatever you say.
They're doing no better than the Red Wings at the moment, and that's with Hagelin, Kreider, and a host young blue-liners.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:36 AM
  #71
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,532
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Who cares why the young guys are up for other teams. The fact is those young players on top-tier teams like Nee York, etc. are making a huge difference while costing barely anything and bringing an added dimension to the locker room.
They are going also towards a cap hell, because bringing these guys up too early.

That forces Sather to a possible Gaborik buyout or other "nice" cuttings that weakens the team in the future.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:49 AM
  #72
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Really simple logic.
Since it's that simple, you wouldn't trade Bertuzzi for Martin St. Louis? Hell, Crosby's not that big, I'm it would be better to have a 'big body' than Crosby because he's only like 5'11.

This height/big body thing I've been hearing lately is ridiculous. With the speed and amount of penalties in the game now, I'll take skill any day over size.

This is not the late 90's/early 00's.

Get a grip people.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:58 AM
  #73
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,532
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Since it's that simple, you wouldn't trade Bertuzzi for Martin St. Louis? Hell, Crosby's not that big, I'm it would be better to have a 'big body' than Crosby because he's only like 5'11.

This height/big body thing I've been hearing lately is ridiculous. With the speed and amount of penalties in the game now, I'll take skill any day over size.
You need size, when your main players are lacking of it. Somebody has to win those board battles against huge defencemen and have to screen those nowadays monster goalies. That's kind of a hockey law, I really wonder guys who don't understand it. Our team has this problem, and that's why Bertuzzi is here. Period.

Of course everybody would take Crosby before Bertuzzi, but that's not the discussion. Also almost every GM tries to surround smallish players with size. Weird guys those GM's, who has to be stupidest people in the World and all wisdom has to exist in these message boards, that everything opposite is better than they are trying to do.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:58 AM
  #74
sully61
Unregistered User
 
sully61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Since it's that simple, you wouldn't trade Bertuzzi for Martin St. Louis? Hell, Crosby's not that big, I'm it would be better to have a 'big body' than Crosby because he's only like 5'11.

This height/big body thing I've been hearing lately is ridiculous. With the speed and amount of penalties in the game now, I'll take skill any day over size

This is not the late 90's/early 00's.

Get a grip people.
It's also not 2005-2008 when they called any contact pretty much. Size is good for protedting the puck, strength is good for knocking guys off the puck. Most big guys are strong, the strongest guys are big.

sully61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:59 AM
  #75
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Since it's that simple, you wouldn't trade Bertuzzi for Martin St. Louis? Hell, Crosby's not that big, I'm it would be better to have a 'big body' than Crosby because he's only like 5'11.
This is total strawman argument BS. I'm not even going to bother responding to it. It would be a waste of time.

Quote:
This height/big body thing I've been hearing lately is ridiculous. With the speed and amount of penalties in the game now, I'll take skill any day over size.
This has nothing to do with "Size and Frame." This has everything to do with Todd Bertuzzi, who plays like a big forward and acts as a net front presence, going down with an injury and us replacing him with a guy who plays a similar game.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.