HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welp.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Ryan is a well adjusted, non violent guy in real life. He just over stepped the bounds physically on ice lately, but at least he's trying to make something happen, just has to pick his spot better
I probably phrased this wrong, not saying that White is a violent criminal kind of guy off-ice. Just that people with violent tendencies are all reaction with no thinking and its usually a huge overeaction... guy looked at my girl,smash bottle on head and then shove broken glass into throat...etc. Whites just all reaction and while its great he wants to watch over teammates and all, he cant forget the score, the time on the clock and where the momentum sits. You cant have it both ways with guys like White, you want them to be high energy disturbers and protectors, so guys like that will take a bad penalty here and there and thats the way it is. My issue is it isnt every now and then, its a few times in ten games and it needs to sink in. Otherwise, as I said , I like White, and he does have the ability to actually play some decent hockey, hes just gotten carried away here.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:50 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhab View Post
there are whining fans on every board for every team for pretty much every player.

O'byrne's + - is a zero. He is not setting the world on fire nor is he hurting the team.

We dont need o'byrne to be a top 4 dman here. However, ob has the size on d that this team lacks now and who knows.......he probably would have shoved ott out of the crease last night and we would have won.
gdm jm.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:41 PM
habtastic

So I was on a train back from MTL while the buffalo game was going on so I was getting all my info via a combination of
- gamecenter real time stats (cuz it was blocked to watch....and VIA internet can't deal)
- intermittent livestreaming (max 25 secs at a time)
- Boone's LGB
- You guys on HFB

I was so pumped when I learned that Pleks scored on the breakaway, I reactively jumped up and half fist-pumped before realizing how strange I seemed. Then the White thing happened and the dénouement.

I was super pissed, but only saw the replay of what happened today. After putting everything in perspective, I'm not so much mad at White as mad at

a) the way Ott played that (which was smart by him, but sucked for us)
b) the fact that White should have erred on the safe side, but I can see why he did what he did
c) the terrible call on the tying goal/the fact we couldn't keep it out (calling Subban to be on the ice!)

It was 4-2, Ott did something that could be construed as "Let's go" + a fight at that point would have ostensibly resulted in no additional penalty to us. (Still pathetic that the refs didn't see the chop Ott gave him yet gave White a 4 minute assuming he just randomly started pounding on Ott).

If I were White and it was 4-2, and Ott wanted to fight, it's what he's there to do so we would have seen it as a good move. Unfortunately, things didn't go the way they were supposed to and it resulted in a situation that was grossly disadvantageous to us, to put it mildly.

I still "hate" White for THAT specific incident, but I like him a lot as a player and for what he brings to the team. It is not unlike the tons of missed chances against the Bs (for which I paid ~$450).

Cole's crapiness is in a sense no different. Same for Max and DD particularly in the last two. We should have beat Boston as much as we should have beat Buffalo. In fact, we could have prevented two goals in the third, even if a 4 minute penalty was given to us. We also could have tapped the freaking puck in 100 times against the bruins.

I guess my point is that White was possibly thinking the following:

"We've got a two goal lead, the Stars are trying to push us around. We're thought to be a soft team. Ott wants to go? Okay, let's go, it's a neutral situation except that we show that we don't back down."

Unfortunately, the turtle was an experienced move (man I hate Ott for how good he is at what he does) and screwed us. The emotion has worn off (I'm diverting it towards Toronto BIG time already) so I'm seeing it more IMO objectively. I think we need White in the lineup in the future.

That said, I'm a big Eller fan so having him in the lineup (isn't Moen back now?) is a good thing. I don't, however mind seeing Eller center Cole and Patches for one game with DD sitting. Problem is I actually like DD and I know that at any moment he can be a gamebreaker. (I know, so LOL-worthy right?). I wish we just knew for sure that he was going to suck in a particular game (he's not been bad all season contrary to popular belief.)

Eller vs. Tor is a must IMO and I guess that's what we're getting.

BTW, and this is totally OT, but do you guys think that Chucky is going to ask for 94 anytime in the next 2 seasons? I think he's keeping 27 out of respect, but once he has the chance, I can see it happening. Only asking cuz I just got my freshly minted jersey.

...make this trip's total ~$700

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
googlymoogly

We should trade White for Staubitz again

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

I noticed that Phaneuf has registered 1 assist and is minus 7.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Sabres game leaves a bad taste that I can't get rid of. It pointed up weaknesses that up to now were concealed. It seems that some players don't realize that the season has started and that there are 38 games left on the schedule (where they'd be after 44 games of a normal schedule). Will Bergevin make further moves?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Sabres game leaves a bad taste that I can't get rid of. It pointed up weaknesses that up to now were concealed. It seems that some players don't realize that the season has started and that there are 38 games left on the schedule (where they'd be after 44 games of a normal schedule). Will Bergevin make further moves?
Not just you, I am disgusted in that loss. They really seem like they have the same attitude as last year. They play the role of the victim, lay back on the lead... whining their way to the box time after time. I have faith in the new management that they won't watch many performances like that without making roster moves.

However I'm not sure their is much change that can happen until this blueline is beefed up a bit.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

I was super pissed, but only saw the replay of what happened today. After putting everything in perspective, I'm not so much mad at White as mad at

a) the way Ott played that (which was smart by him, but sucked for us)
b) the fact that White should have erred on the safe side, but I can see why he did what he did
c) the terrible call on the tying goal/the fact we couldn't keep it out (calling Subban to be on the ice!)

It was 4-2, Ott did something that could be construed as "Let's go" + a fight at that point would have ostensibly resulted in no additional penalty to us. (Still pathetic that the refs didn't see the chop Ott gave him yet gave White a 4 minute assuming he just randomly started pounding on Ott).

If I were White and it was 4-2, and Ott wanted to fight, it's what he's there to do so we would have seen it as a good move. Unfortunately, things didn't go the way they were supposed to and it resulted in a situation that was grossly disadvantageous to us, to put it mildly.

I still "hate" White for THAT specific incident, but I like him a lot as a player and for what he brings to the team. It is not unlike the tons of missed chances against the Bs (for which I paid ~$450).

Cole's crapiness is in a sense no different. Same for Max and DD particularly in the last two. We should have beat Boston as much as we should have beat Buffalo. In fact, we could have prevented two goals in the third, even if a 4 minute penalty was given to us. We also could have tapped the freaking puck in 100 times against the bruins.

I guess my point is that White was possibly thinking the following:

"We've got a two goal lead, the Stars are trying to push us around. We're thought to be a soft team. Ott wants to go? Okay, let's go, it's a neutral situation except that we show that we don't back down."

Unfortunately, the turtle was an experienced move (man I hate Ott for how good he is at what he does) and screwed us. The emotion has worn off (I'm diverting it towards Toronto BIG time already) so I'm seeing it more IMO objectively. I think we need White in the lineup in the future.
What White needs is a lesson or two from Prust, who will drop the gloves but has the poise and "troll mentality" to bait opposing players into penalties like with Chris Neil's instigator or Enstrom high-sticking him.

Of course, he needs some coaching about situational awareness in addition to that.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:19 AM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
White just needs to stop mouthing off the refs

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
No, no he doesn't.
I agree that my statement was highly debatable. Here's my point: Moen is better at chipping on the top 3 lines if needed as he knows what to do in those circumstances. He's also better on PK for now, but with a little more experience, white will catch up as he's allready not bad at all on that regard. But I do think White brings more to the table as a fourth liner. He takes the faceoffs, is more agressive and can drop the gloves when needed. And it's a personnal opinion, but I think White's offense will be better than Moen's with a little more experience.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Not just you, I am disgusted in that loss. They really seem like they have the same attitude as last year. They play the role of the victim, lay back on the lead... whining their way to the box time after time. I have faith in the new management that they won't watch many performances like that without making roster moves.

However I'm not sure their is much change that can happen until this blueline is beefed up a bit.
I've been saying since the summer that the habs need a crease clearing type d-man or two. Someone who can hold the fort from guys crashing into price, and not give guys a free ride in the tough areas. I was looking for a Bryan Allen type, instead we got Bouillon, who is great at using using his leverage against the boards, but he just doesn;t have body to clear the crease. It didn't help that PG went after kaberle instead of letting spacek's contract expire. That would have given more flexibiity to address the issue.

Anyways, I don't think the habs lay on their lead as much as the previous era. They have had some bad breaks, and other times, better teams simply beat them. But the game against buffalo was unacceptable because they beat themselves.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote