HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
I bet things have gotten so bad between the sides, that even if they paid ROR 5 mil a year he'd bolt to another team the minute he had a chance to.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I bet things have gotten so bad between the sides, that even if they paid ROR 5 mil a year he'd bolt to another team the minute he had a chance to.
He could reconsider if there's a different management team in place at that time.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
I don't think anyone wants to keep Stastny in favor of O'Reilly but given the situation I just don't see the avs keeping him long term. Hell I still don't think he even wants to play here but that's just me.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
AvsWraith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
How many three on one's does the guy get again? Let alone with a player that can finish, in a system that doesn't facilitate only scoring on the rush and with defenders that know how to pinch properly?

After Hejduk, Stastny is our most tenured Av. After him? Jones or McLeod. The roster turn over on this team needs to slow down and it starts by making Staz an Av for the next five years and playing him with our franchise winger.

O'Reilly can sign for 4 per and prove he deserves his ice time by producing with Downie and someone next year. Holding out does him or us no good.
Disagree. The roster/management turnover needs to continue until we get the right players. Players, like Duchene, who actually want to compete, and are bothered when the team plays like garbage. They don't just trod along, collecting their check, spouting the continual company line of "Well, the effort was there." We need players that want, no need, to make the playoffs. We don't have enough of them right now.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:15 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.
Honestly one of the best posts I've read in a while. I'm getting absolutely sick of this organization. I've been on Sherman and Sacco's side for two years now but it has gotten to be an absolute joke. We have become the New York Islanders of the West and I'm just sick and tired of the BS we get from this management/ownership. Duchene would be destroying teams' second lines with how he's been playing this season, but sadly we'll never get to see it with this gongshow of an organization.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I don't think anyone wants to keep Stastny in favor of O'Reilly but given the situation I just don't see the avs keeping him long term. Hell I still don't think he even wants to play here but that's just me.
I agree with this.
Of course also some of us people who dislike O'Reilly's tactics and how has handled this want to have O'Reilly here instead of Stastny. But that does not mean that we should pay O'Reilly what he wants, cause that won't lead to any good either.
O'Reilly denied one lowball offer and then denied a very fair offer.
Would I have done this differently if I would've been in charge for either side? Yes I would. But unfortunately that's no the situation we're in right now.

BTW, I'm also thinking that if/when Phoenix moves to Quebec, Staz might be someone who they'd like there cause of the name. The FO might therefore wait until the off-season with this situation, and might then offer a longer more expensive contract (let's say 4.5/6y).
The thing is that we don't know what is happening now, and unfortunately I'm not sure if the FO knows either.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Disagree. The roster/management turnover needs to continue until we get the right players. Players, like Duchene, who actually want to compete, and are bothered when the team plays like garbage. They don't just trod along, collecting their check, spouting the continual company line of "Well, the effort was there." We need players that want, no need, to make the playoffs. We don't have enough of them right now.
Up until today people actually thought Duchy didn't care! We have no idea what goes on in the Avs lockers and it's silly to assume otherwise.

We need some sort of backbone to the team, Stastny is as good a place as any. You can't trade and let everyone go, then turn and tell the kids you've got long term plans for them as long as they produce within a few years.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Up until today people actually thought Duchy didn't care! We have no idea what goes on in the Avs lockers and it's silly to assume otherwise.

We need some sort of backbone to the team, Stastny is as good a place as any. You can't trade and let everyone go, then turn and tell the kids you've got long term plans for them as long as they produce within a few years.
Stastny has been erratic for a while now. I think he'd look good in a more structured system that could sustain the cycle game, but he deserves plenty of blame in certain areas. It's not all his fault but some of the excuses on his behalf should fall on deaf ears. When it comes to retaining O'Reilly versus dumping off Stastny for any piece that can contribute, there should be no question.

If Duchene keeps up his good play thus far then him and O'Reilly would make for a fine center core. As long as Avalanche management does not harbor a grudge then there is zero logical reason for O'Reilly not to be with the team. He has no other outlet unless he wants to take another stab at Siberia.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
found this comment interesting:

"I guess it comes back to the whole thing about them not having a top line. Steve Downie's the right wing. Gabriel Landeskog's the left wing. But there's someone in the middle they're missing too, right? Man, I can't remember that guy's name.
Oh right, it's Ryan O'Reilly, one of the 10 best centers on the planet. That's who the Avs are missing right now. And it's entirely their own fault.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...1215--nhl.html

Old
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post

"I guess it comes back to the whole thing about them not having a top line. Steve Downie's the right wing. Gabriel Landeskog's the left wing. But there's someone in the middle they're missing too, right? Man, I can't remember that guy's name.
Oh right, it's Ryan O'Reilly, one of the 10 best centers on the planet. That's who the Avs are missing right now. And it's entirely their own fault.

Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Giroux, Sedin, Thornton, Richards, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Backstrom, Spezza, Marleau, Staal, Tavares...

He's top-10 like he's worth $5 million annually.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
I cant see how mgmt caving and giving this guy a fat contract he wants and letting him just walk back into key minutes would bring the locker room together at this point. The guys in there have to be frustrated at the situation. Especially playing like they have been and needing him. I just can't see ROR ever putting on the burgundy again

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
That was back in 1991 and it's a different situation. Lindros wanted nothing to do with Quebec and didn't want to play. O'Reilly is holding out for money. Even Sakic signed an offer sheet when he couldn't get the contract he wanted. I think he also took the Avs to arbitration once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
I cant see how mgmt caving and giving this guy a fat contract he wants and letting him just walk back into key minutes would bring the locker room together at this point. The guys in there have to be frustrated at the situation. Especially playing like they have been. I just can't see ROR ever put on the burgundy again
Duchene, EJ, and O'Brien have already said they hope they get O'Reilly back. It's Dater so you never know how accurate it is but he said some of the players are frustrated about this whole thing but their frustration isn't directed towards O'Reilly.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That was back in 1991 and it's a different situation. Lindros wanted nothing to do with Quebec and didn't want to play. O'Reilly is holding out for money. Even Sakic signed an offer sheet when he couldn't get the contract he wanted. I think he also took the Avs to arbitration once.

Duchene, EJ, and O'Brien have already said they hope they get O'Reilly back. It's Dater so you never know how accurate it is but he said some of the players are frustrated about this whole thing but their frustration isn't directed towards O'Reilly.
This was the leader of the franchise for years who just brough the city a stanley cup. Not just jumped up two lines for a season and got 55 points. Also he did this in the offseason not holding out hurting your team because you are offeneded.

Im sure the players want him back, doesn't mean there isn't going to be tension if he actually did come back. Especially if he cashes in after both EJ and Dutchy took reasonable deals.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
S3rkie

BTW guys since this is "Ryan's third thread", and the conversations been way better than the first two. I kinda feel like it deserves to be stickied long term.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
BTW guys since this is "Ryan's third thread", and the conversations been way better than the first two. I kinda feel like it deserves to be stickied long term.
Agreed. It's one of the best threads in the last 25 years.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Agreed. It's one of the best threads in the last 25 years.

I would go so far as to say it's one of the 10 best threads on the planet.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
What do you guys think about ROR to the NYI
ROR + Barrie + pick

Neidereitter + Visnovsky +1st

Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
Fire Sacco before trading Stastny. That's an order.
This x100

I feel very confident in saying that if Stastny got a chance to play without Sacco coaching and in a different system that we'd see the old Stastny back.

And Old Stastny is a better player then Oreilly.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
ROR + Barrie + pick

I don't think Islanders would be willing to pay what O'Reilly wants. Islanders seem to have all the centers they need with Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, Nelson, Cizikas and others. Avs don't need old man Visnovsky. I don't see why this is something either team would do.

Also, why do Avs fans keep including Barrie in O'Reilly proposals? It makes zero sense.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Flow

vCash: 542
Brain Buster: When was the last time the Avalanche fans received good news?

Old
02-09-2013, 01:44 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.
ROR has no real leverage. this is business and setting that type of precident would be detrimental to future negotiations.
he is a RFA many years away from UFA. there is no reason to pay him 5 mil right now. if he does really well in a few seasons then you can pay him 5-5.5 mil and be satisfied with it.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
ROR + Barrie + pick

Sorry, but we send our top player from last year, our most NHL-ready defensive prospect, and a pick for a 35-year-old defenseman who's a UFA next season and will likely bolt back to Russia the first chance he gets, a prospect who hasn't yet proven himself in the NHL and already has a history of concussions, and a first rounder that might not be all that high in a draft with questionable depth? No...definitely not. Niederreiter may yet turn into a star, but we're the one sending the far more proven young player away. I'd much rather it be Frans Nielsen since he would better address what we'd be losing in O'Reilly, but even then I wouldn't do that deal.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
This x100

I feel very confident in saying that if Stastny got a chance to play without Sacco coaching and in a different system that we'd see the old Stastny back.

And Old Stastny is a better player then Oreilly.
I'm not saying he won't be how many excuses are we going to give Stastny?

We were saying linemates awhile ago, and while it might've been true, not many said Sacco was the problem. Now that Stastny has semi competent line mates, he's still not producing like we thought he would and giving him another excuses.

He looked horrid the first few games and has looked decent in the recent games, but he's not playing like we all think he should.

If we can get a young top 4 d-man for him with potential, I wouldn't hesitate.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post

This link isn't working, but I assume it's this: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1215--nhl.html

Oh and look it's Ryan Lambert missing the point completely and spouting nonsense. I can't take that seriously after "10 best centres on the planet."

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Closed Thread