HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
  #701
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,539
vCash: 50
I bet things have gotten so bad between the sides, that even if they paid ROR 5 mil a year he'd bolt to another team the minute he had a chance to.

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
  #702
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I bet things have gotten so bad between the sides, that even if they paid ROR 5 mil a year he'd bolt to another team the minute he had a chance to.
He could reconsider if there's a different management team in place at that time.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:03 PM
  #703
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,462
vCash: 250
I don't think anyone wants to keep Stastny in favor of O'Reilly but given the situation I just don't see the avs keeping him long term. Hell I still don't think he even wants to play here but that's just me.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
  #704
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
How many three on one's does the guy get again? Let alone with a player that can finish, in a system that doesn't facilitate only scoring on the rush and with defenders that know how to pinch properly?

After Hejduk, Stastny is our most tenured Av. After him? Jones or McLeod. The roster turn over on this team needs to slow down and it starts by making Staz an Av for the next five years and playing him with our franchise winger.

O'Reilly can sign for 4 per and prove he deserves his ice time by producing with Downie and someone next year. Holding out does him or us no good.
Disagree. The roster/management turnover needs to continue until we get the right players. Players, like Duchene, who actually want to compete, and are bothered when the team plays like garbage. They don't just trod along, collecting their check, spouting the continual company line of "Well, the effort was there." We need players that want, no need, to make the playoffs. We don't have enough of them right now.

AvsWraith is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:15 PM
  #705
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled
 
NothingLikeAnEJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,281
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.
Honestly one of the best posts I've read in a while. I'm getting absolutely sick of this organization. I've been on Sherman and Sacco's side for two years now but it has gotten to be an absolute joke. We have become the New York Islanders of the West and I'm just sick and tired of the BS we get from this management/ownership. Duchene would be destroying teams' second lines with how he's been playing this season, but sadly we'll never get to see it with this gongshow of an organization.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:28 PM
  #706
Nzap
Insert clever phrase
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middle of Noux
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I don't think anyone wants to keep Stastny in favor of O'Reilly but given the situation I just don't see the avs keeping him long term. Hell I still don't think he even wants to play here but that's just me.
I agree with this.
Of course also some of us people who dislike O'Reilly's tactics and how has handled this want to have O'Reilly here instead of Stastny. But that does not mean that we should pay O'Reilly what he wants, cause that won't lead to any good either.
O'Reilly denied one lowball offer and then denied a very fair offer.
Would I have done this differently if I would've been in charge for either side? Yes I would. But unfortunately that's no the situation we're in right now.

BTW, I'm also thinking that if/when Phoenix moves to Quebec, Staz might be someone who they'd like there cause of the name. The FO might therefore wait until the off-season with this situation, and might then offer a longer more expensive contract (let's say 4.5/6y).
The thing is that we don't know what is happening now, and unfortunately I'm not sure if the FO knows either.

Nzap is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:42 PM
  #707
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,125
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Disagree. The roster/management turnover needs to continue until we get the right players. Players, like Duchene, who actually want to compete, and are bothered when the team plays like garbage. They don't just trod along, collecting their check, spouting the continual company line of "Well, the effort was there." We need players that want, no need, to make the playoffs. We don't have enough of them right now.
Up until today people actually thought Duchy didn't care! We have no idea what goes on in the Avs lockers and it's silly to assume otherwise.

We need some sort of backbone to the team, Stastny is as good a place as any. You can't trade and let everyone go, then turn and tell the kids you've got long term plans for them as long as they produce within a few years.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
  #708
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Up until today people actually thought Duchy didn't care! We have no idea what goes on in the Avs lockers and it's silly to assume otherwise.

We need some sort of backbone to the team, Stastny is as good a place as any. You can't trade and let everyone go, then turn and tell the kids you've got long term plans for them as long as they produce within a few years.
Stastny has been erratic for a while now. I think he'd look good in a more structured system that could sustain the cycle game, but he deserves plenty of blame in certain areas. It's not all his fault but some of the excuses on his behalf should fall on deaf ears. When it comes to retaining O'Reilly versus dumping off Stastny for any piece that can contribute, there should be no question.

If Duchene keeps up his good play thus far then him and O'Reilly would make for a fine center core. As long as Avalanche management does not harbor a grudge then there is zero logical reason for O'Reilly not to be with the team. He has no other outlet unless he wants to take another stab at Siberia.

NHL33* is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
  #709
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
found this comment interesting:

"I guess it comes back to the whole thing about them not having a top line. Steve Downie's the right wing. Gabriel Landeskog's the left wing. But there's someone in the middle they're missing too, right? Man, I can't remember that guy's name.
Oh right, it's Ryan O'Reilly, one of the 10 best centers on the planet. That's who the Avs are missing right now. And it's entirely their own fault.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...1215--nhl.html

DRL is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
  #711
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
found this comment interesting:

"I guess it comes back to the whole thing about them not having a top line. Steve Downie's the right wing. Gabriel Landeskog's the left wing. But there's someone in the middle they're missing too, right? Man, I can't remember that guy's name.
Oh right, it's Ryan O'Reilly, one of the 10 best centers on the planet. That's who the Avs are missing right now. And it's entirely their own fault.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...1215--nhl.html
Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Giroux, Sedin, Thornton, Richards, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Backstrom, Spezza, Marleau, Staal, Tavares...

He's top-10 like he's worth $5 million annually.

shadow1 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
  #712
S3rkie
Registered User
 
S3rkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 140
I cant see how mgmt caving and giving this guy a fat contract he wants and letting him just walk back into key minutes would bring the locker room together at this point. The guys in there have to be frustrated at the situation. Especially playing like they have been and needing him. I just can't see ROR ever putting on the burgundy again

S3rkie is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
  #713
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 645
That was back in 1991 and it's a different situation. Lindros wanted nothing to do with Quebec and didn't want to play. O'Reilly is holding out for money. Even Sakic signed an offer sheet when he couldn't get the contract he wanted. I think he also took the Avs to arbitration once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
I cant see how mgmt caving and giving this guy a fat contract he wants and letting him just walk back into key minutes would bring the locker room together at this point. The guys in there have to be frustrated at the situation. Especially playing like they have been. I just can't see ROR ever put on the burgundy again
Duchene, EJ, and O'Brien have already said they hope they get O'Reilly back. It's Dater so you never know how accurate it is but he said some of the players are frustrated about this whole thing but their frustration isn't directed towards O'Reilly.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
  #714
S3rkie
Registered User
 
S3rkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That was back in 1991 and it's a different situation. Lindros wanted nothing to do with Quebec and didn't want to play. O'Reilly is holding out for money. Even Sakic signed an offer sheet when he couldn't get the contract he wanted. I think he also took the Avs to arbitration once.



Duchene, EJ, and O'Brien have already said they hope they get O'Reilly back. It's Dater so you never know how accurate it is but he said some of the players are frustrated about this whole thing but their frustration isn't directed towards O'Reilly.
This was the leader of the franchise for years who just brough the city a stanley cup. Not just jumped up two lines for a season and got 55 points. Also he did this in the offseason not holding out hurting your team because you are offeneded.

Im sure the players want him back, doesn't mean there isn't going to be tension if he actually did come back. Especially if he cashes in after both EJ and Dutchy took reasonable deals.

S3rkie is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
  #715
S3rkie
Registered User
 
S3rkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 140
BTW guys since this is "Ryan's third thread", and the conversations been way better than the first two. I kinda feel like it deserves to be stickied long term.

S3rkie is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  #716
BrickAHL
#NotUs
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,904
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
BTW guys since this is "Ryan's third thread", and the conversations been way better than the first two. I kinda feel like it deserves to be stickied long term.
Agreed. It's one of the best threads in the last 25 years.


BrickAHL is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  #717
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady
 
Congo Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Candy Apple Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Agreed. It's one of the best threads in the last 25 years.

I would go so far as to say it's one of the 10 best threads on the planet.

Congo Jack is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
  #718
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 70
What do you guys think about ROR to the NYI
ROR + Barrie + pick

Neidereitter + Visnovsky +1st

agentblack is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 PM
  #719
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
Fire Sacco before trading Stastny. That's an order.
This x100

I feel very confident in saying that if Stastny got a chance to play without Sacco coaching and in a different system that we'd see the old Stastny back.

And Old Stastny is a better player then Oreilly.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 11:31 PM
  #720
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,978
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
What do you guys think about ROR to the NYI
ROR + Barrie + pick

Neidereitter + Visnovsky +1st
I don't think Islanders would be willing to pay what O'Reilly wants. Islanders seem to have all the centers they need with Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, Nelson, Cizikas and others. Avs don't need old man Visnovsky. I don't see why this is something either team would do.

Also, why do Avs fans keep including Barrie in O'Reilly proposals? It makes zero sense.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 01:04 AM
  #721
Flow
Registered User
 
Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 843
vCash: 542
Brain Buster: When was the last time the Avalanche fans received good news?

Flow is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 01:44 AM
  #722
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,923
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
You guys can joke all you want. I don't mind alienating myself from the rest of the fan bases mentality. ROR is NOT a player that will be replaced. He is getting praise from almost every hockey analyst for a reason. He is an extremely smart hockey player, at the NHL level, at 22 years of age. You can draft for 15 years and never get a player like him. 5 Mill a year, long term, is not a risk on a player like him. You can't teach hockey IQ, and you can't teach work ethic. Those are his 2 best attributes. He put up all those points last season despite starting in the defensive zone, and playing against the NHL's best players. With how good Duchene is playing this season, against top competition, imagine him playing against every teams 2nd line. The hard stance taken by management is absolutely idiotic. If they let the possibility of having Duchene and RoR as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years pass then this rebuild has been a sham. They are clearly only doing it to save money.

The obvious move is to sign ROR, and trade Stastny. If they do the opposite they are imbeciles and driving this franchise into the ditch.
ROR has no real leverage. this is business and setting that type of precident would be detrimental to future negotiations.
he is a RFA many years away from UFA. there is no reason to pay him 5 mil right now. if he does really well in a few seasons then you can pay him 5-5.5 mil and be satisfied with it.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 01:45 AM
  #723
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
What do you guys think about ROR to the NYI
ROR + Barrie + pick

Neidereitter + Visnovsky +1st
Sorry, but we send our top player from last year, our most NHL-ready defensive prospect, and a pick for a 35-year-old defenseman who's a UFA next season and will likely bolt back to Russia the first chance he gets, a prospect who hasn't yet proven himself in the NHL and already has a history of concussions, and a first rounder that might not be all that high in a draft with questionable depth? No...definitely not. Niederreiter may yet turn into a star, but we're the one sending the far more proven young player away. I'd much rather it be Frans Nielsen since he would better address what we'd be losing in O'Reilly, but even then I wouldn't do that deal.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 AM
  #724
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
This x100

I feel very confident in saying that if Stastny got a chance to play without Sacco coaching and in a different system that we'd see the old Stastny back.

And Old Stastny is a better player then Oreilly.
I'm not saying he won't be how many excuses are we going to give Stastny?

We were saying linemates awhile ago, and while it might've been true, not many said Sacco was the problem. Now that Stastny has semi competent line mates, he's still not producing like we thought he would and giving him another excuses.

He looked horrid the first few games and has looked decent in the recent games, but he's not playing like we all think he should.

If we can get a young top 4 d-man for him with potential, I wouldn't hesitate.

PAZ is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 AM
  #725
Ceremony
Moderator
Transcendence
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 72,248
vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
found this comment interesting:

"I guess it comes back to the whole thing about them not having a top line. Steve Downie's the right wing. Gabriel Landeskog's the left wing. But there's someone in the middle they're missing too, right? Man, I can't remember that guy's name.
Oh right, it's Ryan O'Reilly, one of the 10 best centers on the planet. That's who the Avs are missing right now. And it's entirely their own fault.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...1215--nhl.html
This link isn't working, but I assume it's this: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1215--nhl.html

Oh and look it's Ryan Lambert missing the point completely and spouting nonsense. I can't take that seriously after "10 best centres on the planet."

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.