HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for 2014 5th Round Draft Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Sounds like sour grapes with Strait. The guy has played legit minutes for them and seems pretty damn comfortable dishing pucks to Streit for one-timers. Lovejoy, Bort, and maybe even Despres aren't taking Malkin to the wall one on one the way he did either. He's only a 0 +/- right now but that's not bad being paired with a defensive liability and being on the Isles.
I know that the pecking order is often different depending on the team and a #5 on certain teams can end up as a #3 on others...

But Jesus, the Isles took all of half a day to give him a 3 year contract.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The issue isn't whether Reese is worse than Lovejoy, it's that the organization identified Lovejoy as more valuable than Strait...then gave up on him a couple weeks later. Whatever my misgivings about waiving Strait, I thought maybe the Pens saw things in Lovejoy the rest of us didn't. Turns out they considered him about as valuable as Reese.

That decision did not need to be made yet.

So, according to the Pens org...Reese=Lovejoy>Strait.

That's what bothers me.
For some reason I seemed to miss you tying this in with the waiving of Strait. I can't disagree with that. However, at the end of the day, we kept the 2 dmen on the roster (Bortuzzo, Despres) that damn near all of us wanted. We knew one of Strait or Bort would be gone. I don't agree with how the decisions were made, but the end result is fine with me.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Shirai Ryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I know that the pecking order is often different depending on the team and a #5 on certain teams can end up as a #3 on others...

Isles don't care about contracts, you can always buy them out. Just look at DiPietro.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

This is true, but at the end of the day, we kept the right guys (Bortuzzo, Despres). Do you disagree with that?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Strait has 9 GP, 18 minutes a game, 2 minutes of PK a game, 14 hits, 8 blocked shots, is even, & has only one give a away.

He's being the non-spectacular but solid player a lot of us thought he could be. He is a good defensive player.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
as for Strait all i can do is quote the Bard in Richard III: this is the fruits of rashness.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
This is true, but at the end of the day, we kept the right guys (Bortuzzo, Despres). Do you disagree with that?
I'll tell you at the end of the season. There are still a ton of wrinkles that need to be ironed out in their games. Despres' ceiling is much, much higher, but it remains to be seen if he can get there.

Personally, I don't like the "get over it" or "he didn't fit in to the future" talk. Losing a solid, NHL ready #5 d-man that would have cost less than $1M dollars is something to be angry about.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
I'll tell you at the end of the season. There are still a ton of wrinkles that need to be ironed out in their games. Despres' ceiling is much, much higher, but it remains to be seen if he can get there.

Personally, I don't like the "get over it" or "he didn't fit in to the future" talk. Losing a solid, NHL ready #5 d-man that would have cost less than $1M dollars is something to be angry about.
And it remains to be seen if Strait can be that defencemen, 9 games on the Islanders notwithstanding.

If we waived Lovejoy pre-season and got a fifth for Strait would some of you be this upset? Because that's what would have happened.

He got passed by Bort and Despres. End of story, get over it people.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

It's really not. He had no future here.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Fair enough. I like Strait a lot as well and would prefer that we still had him. That said, Bortuzzo has played very well and I'm excited about the size of our D corps with him and Despres. At some point in the next few weeks, we were going to have to make a roster decision between Strait, Jeffrey, Tangradi, or Boychuk. I guess the org wanted to set the D roster first and then figure out the wingers later.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Andrej Sustr, come on down! You're the next contestant on the Penguins Defensman Roulette Wheel!

Old
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM

This is where I call BS on the Isles. They should get slapped like the Devils did.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
For some reason I seemed to miss you tying this in with the waiving of Strait. I can't disagree with that. However, at the end of the day, we kept the 2 dmen on the roster (Bortuzzo, Despres) that damn near all of us wanted. We knew one of Strait or Bort would be gone. I don't agree with how the decisions were made, but the end result is fine with me.
But Shady...neither had to be.

The return for Lovejoy is fine - I thought he'd be waiver-wire material, personally. We just never should have arrived at this point.

And now we're playing Dylan Reese.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
The Night's Watch

Gotta shoot that P-Mart.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

who would have traded Brian Strait for Zach Boychuk before the season? That is pretty much what happened isn't it? I mean, had we just traded Lovejoy earlier and kept Strait, we couldn't have picked up Boychuk. I think its a legitimate question of which is better, but I would have definitely been happy with that trade. Is there a reasonable scenario where we could have both Strait and Boychuk?

Old
02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
who would have traded Brian Strait for Zach Boychuk before the season? That is pretty much what happened isn't it? I mean, had we just traded Lovejoy earlier and kept Strait, we couldn't have picked up Boychuk. I think its a legitimate question of which is better, but I would have definitely been happy with that trade. Is there a reasonable scenario where we could have both Strait and Boychuk?
Why is that?

Old
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Why is that?
ok, so I'm wrong but as soon as Nisky is back we'd be choosing between the two.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
ok, so I'm wrong but as soon as Nisky is back we'd be choosing between the two.
Not necessarily. There are any number of things that could've happened.

As we've seen tonight, Letang is injured so now we've got Reese in the line-up. I'd say chances are pretty good that at any one time during the season we could have one of our top 7 defenseman injured. During that time, Strait could've proved himself.

Or, we could've moved Tangradi after his most recent failed audition. We have a roster limit, not a defense limit.

I'll put it this way - if we get the opportunity to move a solid roster defenseman for a scoring wing at some point this season, we no longer have the depth to entertain the idea. Had we retained Strait and he played as well for us as he has for the Isles, we could.

Food for thought. Pretty poor asset management if you ask me.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
The Old Master

Quote:

As we've seen tonight, Letang is injured so now we've got Reese in the line-up. I'd say chances are pretty good that at any one time during the season we could have one of our top 7 defenseman injured. During that time, Strait could've proved himself.

Or, we could've moved Tangradi after his most recent failed audition. We have a roster limit, not a defense limit.

I'll put it this way - if we get the opportunity to move a solid roster defenseman for a scoring wing at some point this season, we no longer have the depth to entertain the idea. Had we retained Strait and he played as well for us as he has for the Isles, we could.

yep! thats why i don't think anything will happen til the ofseason.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
fragmag

Lovejoy is doing a pretty decent job on the PP for the Ducks tonight. Good for him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:

I didn't agree with keeping lovejoy over strait either. But we still have the depth on D to move a guy for a forward once Letang and Nisky return. I think Dumoulin is the next call up and we can always make a move for a vet to solidify the bottom pairing if need be.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Lovejoy is doing a pretty decent job on the PP for the Ducks tonight. Good for him.
they called him a big bodied bruiser and I changed the channel

Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
fragmag

Quote:
they called him a big bodied bruiser and I changed the channel
I'm glad I missed that.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I didn't agree with keeping lovejoy over strait either. But we still have the depth on D to move a guy for a forward once Letang and Nisky return. I think Dumoulin is the next call up and we can always make a move for a vet to solidify the bottom pairing if need be.
I don't think we do. I'd rather not have a guy in his first AHL season come up and join a contender that's already icing two rookie defensemen. That's not a recipe for success.

You can live with a few rookie mistakes while guys learn the ropes. Nearly half your blueline though? I'd rather not.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Yeah I don't see us bringing up a rookie dmen. If he was playing incredibly well and they were totally satisfied with him, then maybe. But he isn't playing lights out. He has looked OK, nothing special.

Closed Thread