HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Colorado

Old
02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
St. Louis gets:
Ryan O'Reilly

Colorado gets:
David Perron
2nd

Flame away
I like the deal, always loved Perron's game. If we had a coach with a system players like Perron and Duchene could thrive in. But sadly I think he'd be wasted here. Perron-Duchene-Pap Could be a really fun line

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
There have been a bunch of studies showing that suffering a concussion doesn't make you any more susceptible to future concussions. That only happens when the player returns to the game before fully recovered a'la Mueller. Perron's odds of another head injury are the same as anyone else.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
There have been a bunch of studies showing that suffering a concussion doesn't make you any more susceptible to future concussions. That only happens when the player returns to the game before fully recovered a'la Mueller. Perron's odds of another head injury are the same as anyone else.
From what I understand the chance of getting another concussion isn't higher if you had one before, but the severity of repeated concussions is the problem. I'm sure there are conflicting studies though. There always seems to be when it comes to contentious issues.

Also, players who have been out with concussions for a long time often change their game and become less effective. Not everyone, but most.

After what Avs have gone through with concussions with Mueller, Hishon, Wilson, Cumiskey, Landeskog and others, I can't see Avs trading for a guy like Perron.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Good for the Blues that there are no worries about Perron going forward.
No more than any other player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
I'd do it. But Perron would probably come to Colorado and lose all ability to play hockey since Sacco would force him to master the art of dumping and chasing and take away his creative abilities.
Nah, Hitchcock is already doing that, haven't you heard? The Perron you see is the Perron you'll get. Just don't expect a jump in production until you get a new coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Just so people understand, we're bitter over the number of injuries we face on a regular basis, specifically to new players. Mueller, Flash, Downie of late. Leopold exploded upon putting on an Avs jersey post trade. Kariya/Selanne became decrepit. Foppa returned and then his groin ripped instead of his foot... Our top prospect now can only eat food that's been thoroughly blended. Sakic's career was ended by a snow blower basically and our current captain has a concussion.

We're an emergency room's worst nightmare on ice. So the thought of anyone recently having overcame a serious injury scares the crap outta us.
EJ's knee has been fine, right? Hockey is a dangerous, injury prone sport.

It certainly sounds like a trend, have you guys had the same medical staff the whole time? If I were an Avs fan, that's what I would wonder about with a history like that.

Quote:
A player that's missed almost a year with that one concussion, how long will he be gone if it happens again?
It depends on how bad the contact giving the second concussion is.

Quote:
From what I understand the chance of getting another concussion isn't higher if you had one before, but the severity of repeated concussions is the problem. I'm sure there are conflicting studies though. There always seems to be when it comes to contentious issues.

Also, players who have been out with concussions for a long time often change their game and become less effective. Not everyone, but most.

After what Avs have gone through with concussions with Mueller, Hishon, Wilson, Cumiskey, Landeskog and others, I can't see Avs trading for a guy like Perron.
I'd don't think Landeskog plays a 'shy' game due to his concussion history. It hasn't affected the way Perron plays.

One of the main reasons that Perron sat so long was to help mitigate the impact of future blows to his head.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I'd don't think Landeskog plays a 'shy' game due to his concussion history. It hasn't affected the way Perron plays.
After taking two massive head shots in the neutral zone in his short NHL career, one of them giving him a concussion, I certainly hope it will change how Landeskog plays in certain situations and that he always assumes people will nail him if they get a chance. If not, his future is hazy (literally).

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Oshie97

Would be tough to lose Perron but adding another quality center would make it worth it, depending on what contract could be worked out with O'Reilly. Perron is not injury prone, had one concussion, and was kept out of the game for a lengthy time to prevent any problems down the road. It hasn't affected his game, he's not damaged goods but I understand Colorado fans worries with their history of injuries.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

It certainly sounds like a trend, have you guys had the same medical staff the whole time? If I were an Avs fan, that's what I would wonder about with a history like that.

Staff isn't really the problem. Everything that keeps happening is completely different for each player.
Flash got some weird clotting thing due to the altitude. I mean.. wtf!

El_Loco_Avs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Dana Tyrell was placed on waivers today. Wouldn't mind placing a claim and send Schwartz to PEO.

Keep Perron, move McDonald to center, Steen back to wing. May be a good option.

Randall Ritchey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Despite all of the education about concussions they still appear to be the most misunderstood sports injury.

Info from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Inform...oncussion.aspx

Quote:
The study also revealed that concussion rates in soccer players were comparable to those in football. According to this study, athletes who suffered a concussion were four to six times more likely to suffer a second concussion.
I find the first part of that quote interesting. All of the things the NHL tries to put in place to prevent concussions and soccer players are just as susceptible.

Quote:
A second concussion soon after the first one, however, does not have to be very strong for its effects to be deadly or permanently disabling.
Probably the reason so many careers were ruined by concussions in the 90's/00's. They are treated entirely different now, which is why Perron sat for a year before playing another game.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:48 PM
cgf

Soccer players also don't wear pads and run around for 90 minutes straight, a guy getting tired and hitting another player in the head when they go up for a header are always possibilities.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

us trading perron is just dumb

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:23 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
After taking two massive head shots in the neutral zone in his short NHL career, one of them giving him a concussion, I certainly hope it will change how Landeskog plays in certain situations and that he always assumes people will nail him if they get a chance. If not, his future is hazy (literally).
What is important is how MUCH it changes a person's game. Do Perron and Landekog keep their head up now? I hope so. Do they refuse to go into a corner, a scrum, in front of the net, etc.? Perron is still willing, and the times I've seen Landeskog it seems he is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Staff isn't really the problem. Everything that keeps happening is completely different for each player.
Flash got some weird clotting thing due to the altitude. I mean.. wtf!
I get it. But if your gonna be paranoid about why your players are all getting injured, I'd look at the medical staff.

But like I said earlier, hockey is simply a dangerous game. The fact that players that Colorado acquires get injuried is nothing more than random chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Soccer players also don't wear pads and run around for 90 minutes straight, a guy getting tired and hitting another player in the head when they go up for a header are always possibilities.
I'm guessing its all the headers. Seriously. A fully inflated soccer ball hurts a bit when it hits your head. Repeated over and over and over and over, I can see it easily having a cumulative effect.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
us trading perron is just dumb
Absolutes are just dumb.

Seriously dude. You gotta give to get, and the Blues have a LOT of quality wingers.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:35 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
This is a tempting package, but if the Avs are trading O'Reilly, I think they're dealing him to the Eastern Conference, unless some team overpays for him.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote