Notices

Cody Eakin Appreciation Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:03 AM
English stars fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Would rather have LA's problem than Chicago's.
I quite agree! Agreed that Eakin isn't ready to push Benn to wing yet. But it's nice that there's a solid core to the forward group developing and that the Ribs trade seems to have worked out.

Can't wait to sort the flipping D out though

English stars fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:34 AM
BigG44

Yeah I agree Faksa developing into a Top 9 center, and then either Faksa or Eakin proving they can produce in the Top 6 would need to occur first before Benn gets pushed to wing.

If Getzlaf hit the market though, and Dallas had interest, should they win that sweepstakes I could see Benn on his wing as early as next season. Since Roy is already a bit older, it wouldn't exactly be a bad thing to invest in another Top 6 center.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

A team with Eakin on the 3rd line is much stronger than one with Benn as a winger and Eakin on the 2nd line. Depth Depth depth.

Plus with injuries he'll invaluably get into the top 6 a lot. I see him a lot like David Bolland with chicago.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
A team with Eakin on the 3rd line is much stronger than one with Benn as a winger and Eakin on the 2nd line. Depth Depth depth.

Plus with injuries he'll invaluably get into the top 6 a lot. I see him a lot like David Bolland with chicago.
I think most people are already saying this.

What most are saying is the only way you consider this is if you add another Top 9 center .... giving you 4. If that's Faksa or Getzlaf or some other player,

If that's the case, not moving one of them to the wing would be silly. You still have plenty of depth for one to slide back to Top 9 center if an injury occurs.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
BigG44

For example ... since this entire conversation is hypothetical ... Faksa is the player that develops into a Top 9 forward.

You're a better team IMO stacking the Top 9 with the best forwards so let's just speculate ....

Benn-Eakin-Eriksson
Smith-Roy-Ritchie
Stransky-Faksa-Chiasson
****-Sceviour****

is a better team than ....

Smith-Benn-Eriksson
Stransky-Roy-Ritchie
****-Eakin-Chiasson
****-Faksa****

Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
For example ... since this entire conversation is hypothetical ... Faksa is the player that develops into a Top 9 forward.

You're a better team IMO stacking the Top 9 with the best forwards so let's just speculate ....

Benn-Eakin-Eriksson
Smith-Roy-Ritchie
Stransky-Faksa-Chiasson
****-Sceviour****

is a better team than ....

Smith-Benn-Eriksson
Stransky-Roy-Ritchie
****-Eakin-Chiasson
****-Faksa****
Im putting Roy ahead of Eakin in this scenario.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
Im putting Roy ahead of Eakin in this scenario.
Honestly wasn't sure which way to go there. Main idea was just to get some names down. Some of those other wingers may not even pan out.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
haf

Eakin's hockey iq seems through the roof, and he has easily been the team's best forechecker. His shot location on the Loui goal in detroit was perfect (far pad for the rebound). Not sure what his potential is but really solid player so far.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Thrilled to see Eakin succeed. Big fan but I didn't think he'd do this well so soon. Can he keep it up and score 25 this year? Do you see him as a #2 C or just an elite #3? I think this trade will pay off for you, despite Ribeiro being able to do things that not many can.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Thrilled to see Eakin succeed. Big fan but I didn't think he'd do this well so soon. Can he keep it up and score 25 this year? Do you see him as a #2 C or just an elite #3? I think this trade will pay off for you, despite Ribeiro being able to do things that not many can.
Eakin needs some offensive polish IMO. He is right around where you would expect a player with less than a full season to be, but he needs line mates who can score. Reilly Smith is on the cusp of being able to make things for himself and Vincour will never score much, but Eakin's points come from winning the puck instead of making a good setup. With the current line mates he isn't going to get many points.

If he can get some more playmaking skill he should be almost a 2C, but right now I see him as more of a dynamite 3C who can really do well against the opponent's good lines.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Eakin needs some offensive polish IMO. He is right around where you would expect a player with less than a full season to be, but he needs line mates who can score. Reilly Smith is on the cusp of being able to make things for himself and Vincour will never score much, but Eakin's points come from winning the puck instead of making a good setup. With the current line mates he isn't going to get many points.

If he can get some more playmaking skill he should be almost a 2C, but right now I see him as more of a dynamite 3C who can really do well against the opponent's good lines.
Reilly Smith, Cody Eakin, and Tomas Vincour are all the same age, and from the same draft. This is why I chuckle when people say Vincour has no future, but Reilly Smith is on the cusp and Eakin just needs some time to really develop his offense.

This was an awesome line down in Austin, and given an opportunity to adjust to the NHL, they could potentially reward the team with secondary scoring and rock solid two-way play.

I'll never understand how one 22 year old has peaked in the eyes of a fan base and other 22 year old players are up and comers.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
25 goals or 25 points? I think 25 points might be doable. His hockey IQ and takeaway skills are fantastic. And yes, like Mr. Misty I see him as most likely a dynamic 3rd line centerman.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
25 goals or 25 points? I think 25 points might be doable. His hockey IQ and takeaway skills are fantastic. And yes, like Mr. Misty I see him as most likely a dynamic 3rd line centerman.
Points, of course. I think Eakin will be hard pressed to ever hit 25 goals. Probably a consistent 15-20 goal, 25-35 assist guy, if all goes right?

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Points, of course. I think Eakin will be hard pressed to ever hit 25 goals. Probably a consistent 15-20 goal, 25-35 assist guy, if all goes right?
That seems reasonable.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

#2 for sure. If he can find a scoring touch, then he's a 1b.

Solid player who knows how to protect the puck, with a very strong hockey IQ.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
#2 for sure. If he can find a scoring touch, then he's a 1b.

Solid player who knows how to protect the puck, with a very strong hockey IQ.
i love the guy, but to be a #2 for sure, he's got to find a scoring touch. otherwise he's just wandell on steroids. and i don't know about his vision. love everything about his game so far except his vision and ability to create his own shot. (to be fair, that's not a commonly found trait outside of the stars of the league)

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i love the guy, but to be a #2 for sure, he's got to find a scoring touch. otherwise he's just wandell on steroids. and i don't know about his vision. love everything about his game so far except his vision and ability to create his own shot. (to be fair, that's not a commonly found trait outside of the stars of the league)
I think you guys are understating how good his offense already is. He's shown he can create plenty of opportunities with players who can actually score. Based on what he's shown me his absolute floor is a much better than average 3rd line center but more toward a strong #2 center in this league, especially given the fact that when this team finally gets to the playoffs Eakin's line gives the Stars the option of going head to head against other team's top line with either Benn or Eakin, both of whom can check the top center of most teams.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:36 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I think you guys are understating how good his offense already is. He's shown he can create plenty of opportunities with players who can actually score. Based on what he's shown me his absolute floor is a much better than average 3rd line center but more toward a strong #2 center in this league, especially given the fact that when this team finally gets to the playoffs Eakin's line gives the Stars the option of going head to head against other team's top line with either Benn or Eakin, both of whom can check the top center of most teams.
mostly agree. without the scoring though, he won't be a #2. I think, and hope he gets there, i just meant that i haven't seen it yet. and yes, he can create opportunities, but most of them come from his great hustle and ability to turn pucks over. the concern i have about his vision is that i've seen him miss good passing options when they were either trailers or cross ice passes. again, he could get there, i just don't want to claim it as a certainty, since those are not easy things to develop.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Not sure where you guys aren't seeing the offense, he's producing assists (and you can see why watching him), the goals just haven't come yet, but he's still getting some good chances. More than you'd probably expect for a 3rd line center. Had at least a couple great chances against Edmonton.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I see his vision but to me it's more of a subtle type of vision than the kind that leads to amazing saucer passes. I don't want to harp too much on one play but he set up a goal last week on a 2-on-1 by shooting it perfectly off the goalie's pad to be finished by the other player (can't remember, maybe it was Loui against Detroit). Ribeiro type player would have probably tried the pass but the difference is that Eakin's is doubly smart because it effectively serves the same purpose of getting the puck to his teammate for a scoring opportunity while keeping the goalie honest; everyone knows in that situation Ribeiro is passing 98% of the time, maybe next time Eakin picks the corner. Just saying that I see a smart player with good puck skills and good wheels. His speed backs people off and makes them think quicker than they'd like. I feel confident saying he'll pretty easily be a 40-45 point guy but more likely a 50-65 guy.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
I see his vision but to me it's more of a subtle type of vision than the kind that leads to amazing saucer passes. I don't want to harp too much on one play but he set up a goal last week on a 2-on-1 by shooting it perfectly off the goalie's pad to be finished by the other player (can't remember, maybe it was Loui against Detroit). Ribeiro type player would have probably tried the pass but the difference is that Eakin's is doubly smart because it effectively serves the same purpose of getting the puck to his teammate for a scoring opportunity while keeping the goalie honest; everyone knows in that situation Ribeiro is passing 98% of the time, maybe next time Eakin picks the corner. Just saying that I see a smart player with good puck skills and good wheels. His speed backs people off and makes them think quicker than they'd like. I feel confident saying he'll pretty easily be a 40-45 point guy but more likely a 50-65 guy.
He makes the simple, easy play pretty much every time, and it works a lot more often than the fancy dangles and passes Ribs typically tried. He's not as flashy, but I think he could end up getting close to replacing him offensively (do agree with your point projections), and the defensive effort and faceoffs makes him that much more valuable.

And then of course whatever Winther turns into.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Not sure where you guys aren't seeing the offense, he's producing assists (and you can see why watching him), the goals just haven't come yet, but he's still getting some good chances. More than you'd probably expect for a 3rd line center. Had at least a couple great chances against Edmonton.
Exactly. The fact that he's even able to create these chances is impressive.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Great post.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
I would say he hasn't had much offense on the 3rd line so far. When he was on the 2nd line most of his points came from getting the puck and passing it to somebody else, who then made the primary assist. There have been flashes here and there, but he and his linemates are stuck in neutral right now.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:38 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
When he was on the 2nd line most of his points came from getting the puck and passing it to somebody else, who then made the primary assist.
Eh, he's not ending up on the scoresheet on those occasions by accident. It's not as if winning puck battles along the board and passing to the guy who passes it to the guy who scores is a bad (or lucky) thing, it just means he's better at producing offense with linemates who aren't incompetent in the offensive zone. Loui gets quite a few of his assists in a similar secondary fashion, winning puck battles and distributing. That is a skill and a pretty important one to boot.

Edit: Did the research...4 of his 5 assists are primary. Your point is invalid.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 02-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.