HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lubomir Visnovsky to Toronto?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 12:42 AM
  #1
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Lubomir Visnovsky to Toronto?

What would it take realistically?

Toronto's PP needs work and one of the main reasons for its ineffectiveness is a lack of movement from the D position. Jake Gardiner can provide that with the concussion this season, it'll take him a while to get his legs back and contribute to the same level he did last year.

Enter Visnovsky who I still think can run a PP and improve our fortunes there.

Our team needs to make the playoffs with an important free agency coming up, in order to become an attractive destination once more.

Our youth need to get a taste of playoff hockey as well so they can mature and realize the work it takes to become a staple playoff contender.

With Visnovsky's unstable relationship with the Islanders front office, can Toronto explore a trade opportunity, which would ofcourse be contingent upon Lubomir coming back and playing for Toronto.

What would it take?

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
  #2
sparxx87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
The Isles paid a 2nd, so I'd assume that + sweetener.

I don't think they're targeting more offensive d men though, or at least shouldn't be IMO. A big minute shutdown guy is more of a pressing need, especially with Gunnarsson injured.

I've said it before, they should try Bozak at the point. Let him win the draw then drop back and set up:
Kessel-JVR-Kadri
Bozak-Phanuef

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:57 AM
  #3
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
I think offense from our D is the biggest weakness.

Dion has forgotten how to shoot, literally but he's playing very well defensively. Same with Liles and Kostka can't be depended upon to provide offense.

I'm all open to having a forward man the point but none of our forwards have the ability to either set people up or shoot home a goal from the point.

I think Lubo will be a capable stop-gap until Gardiner is ready to take over that role along with Rielly.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:59 AM
  #4
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,263
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
The Isles paid a 2nd, so I'd assume that + sweetener.

I don't think they're targeting more offensive d men though, or at least shouldn't be IMO. A big minute shutdown guy is more of a pressing need, especially with Gunnarsson injured.

I've said it before, they should try Bozak at the point. Let him win the draw then drop back and set up:
Kessel-JVR-Kadri
Bozak-Phanuef
That line-up would be worth a try. The point is Carlyle hasn't exactly exhausted the possibilities. So let's let Randy do that first. Visnofsky could look very attractive to a lot of teams come playoff time which will only drive up the price. He will get at least a 2nd round draft choice, probably more. I don't want to give anything close to that up for a 36 year old defenseman even if he has retained a lot of skill.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:11 AM
  #5
sparxx87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I think offense from our D is the biggest weakness.

Dion has forgotten how to shoot, literally but he's playing very well defensively. Same with Liles and Kostka can't be depended upon to provide offense.

I'm all open to having a forward man the point but none of our forwards have the ability to either set people up or shoot home a goal from the point.

I think Lubo will be a capable stop-gap until Gardiner is ready to take over that role along with Rielly.
I disagree with the bolded; Bozak is a good passer with good vision. While he may not have a rocket from the point, that's why you have JVR in front and Kadri and Kessel, two guys with great hands, flanking on their off-wings for rebounds or back door plays.


The Leafs power play is way too stationary and way too predictable - Kessel on the half wall or Phaneuf's clapper (which usually goes 4 feet over the net) ... I agree a shakeup could be in order, but I think it could be at least attempted with current personnel before trading what could be a top 40 pick and potentially a sweetener in a later pick or lesser prospect.

Visnovsky is effective but he isn't going to carry the unit. He was extremely effective in Anaheim when Perry and Getzlaf threatened down low, drew the killers down and gave him space up top. Teams don't need to collapse against the Leafs because all their threats are up high or perimeter. They need to make plays down low before the point opens up and they haven't been doing that.

Kaberle to McCabe was so effective because teams would cheat to cover Sundin to Tucker back door play.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:23 AM
  #6
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Visnovsky only had 27 points last year under coach Carlyle.

I think Liles and soon Gardiner can perform this role at that level or better. I wouldn't make a desperate move at the cost of young assets, especially when the Leafs could very well bottom out, with or without Visnovsky.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:39 AM
  #7
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,678
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind having him, He help our biggest problem at the moment which is the PP. RC is also familiar with him.

Depends on the price though.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:47 AM
  #8
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,655
vCash: 500
The only way we trade Vis is if there is if we are Mathamatically eliminated fromthe playoffs by the deadline....

in that case Striet would be available as well....

Depending on the impact Vis has and what level of play he displays will determine his price.

When the Isles aquired him for Only a 2nd, many said it was a steal at the time...

The Isles have a deep prospect pool and if they were to trade for picks it would only be worth it if it was a 1st rounder... I dont know that a rental gets you a 1st unless a team is really pushing for a cup with serious aspirations of winning it.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:55 AM
  #9
EucaLEAFtys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Underdark
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Not interested in wasting valuable assets for yet another short-term, band-aid solution just to try to get this sh---y team into the play-offs.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:22 AM
  #10
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
What would it take realistically?

Toronto's PP needs work and one of the main reasons for its ineffectiveness is a lack of movement from the D position. Jake Gardiner can provide that with the concussion this season, it'll take him a while to get his legs back and contribute to the same level he did last year.

Enter Visnovsky who I still think can run a PP and improve our fortunes there.

Our team needs to make the playoffs with an important free agency coming up, in order to become an attractive destination once more.

Our youth need to get a taste of playoff hockey as well so they can mature and realize the work it takes to become a staple playoff contender.

With Visnovsky's unstable relationship with the Islanders front office, can Toronto explore a trade opportunity, which would ofcourse be contingent upon Lubomir coming back and playing for Toronto.
What would it take?
That bad relationship angle won't fly.

Isles 0 for 19 pp needs Vis. Get back to Snow at the trade deadline.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4592300
"It's a great thing, I think," said Frans Nielsen , who lost his spot on the point of the first power-play unit with Visnovsky's arrival. "We've got two of the best power-play quarterbacks in the league . . . he's a great player and he's going to help us."

Visnovsky said he was surprised by the warm reaction he received from his new teammates.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
  #11
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
What would it take realistically?

Toronto's PP needs work and one of the main reasons for its ineffectiveness is a lack of movement from the D position. Jake Gardiner can provide that with the concussion this season, it'll take him a while to get his legs back and contribute to the same level he did last year.

Enter Visnovsky who I still think can run a PP and improve our fortunes there.

Our team needs to make the playoffs with an important free agency coming up, in order to become an attractive destination once more.

Our youth need to get a taste of playoff hockey as well so they can mature and realize the work it takes to become a staple playoff contender.

With Visnovsky's unstable relationship with the Islanders front office, can Toronto explore a trade opportunity, which would ofcourse be contingent upon Lubomir coming back and playing for Toronto.

What would it take?
The Leafs dont need another defenceman, let alone a PMD.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
  #12
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Visnovsky only had 27 points last year under coach Carlyle.

I think Liles and soon Gardiner can perform this role at that level or better. I wouldn't make a desperate move at the cost of young assets, especially when the Leafs could very well bottom out, with or without Visnovsky.
Didn't he only play like 50 games because of an injury? And didnt he have 60+ points his last full season? I still think he can be a top offensive D man

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
  #13
desmond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
1st round pick would do it.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:46 AM
  #14
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
1st round pick would do it.
That's for Tavares right? We'll also throw in a 3rd and Komisarek just to sweeten the deal.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
  #15
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
The Leafs dont need another defenceman, let alone a PMD.
Umm...we don't have a PMD on our roster at the moment. Gardiner should remain with Marlies until he's absolutely ready to come back.

The Leafs need a veteran defenseman and an established PMD is the main reason why our PP has been so stagnant.

If you want to make the playoffs this team needs to overcome its weaknesses. You can try as many things as you can with the current personnel that you have, a PPQB can not be emerge from the roster within.

Liles was adequate but he's not a PPQB anymore. He's playing well, regardless, though.

Visnovsky can not only act as the playmaker, but can also shoot it.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
  #16
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Umm...we don't have a PMD on our roster at the moment. Gardiner should remain with Marlies until he's absolutely ready to come back.

The Leafs need a veteran defenseman and an established PMD is the main reason why our PP has been so stagnant.

If you want to make the playoffs this team needs to overcome its weaknesses. You can try as many things as you can with the current personnel that you have, a PPQB can not be emerge from the roster within.

Liles was adequate but he's not a PPQB anymore. He's playing well, regardless, though.

Visnovsky can not only act as the playmaker, but can also shoot it.
Shame on you, someone doesnt watch the Leafs. Liles is a puck moving D, Phaneuf plays the PP, as does Franson, and Gardiner will eventually come back. The Leafs are deep on D, why expend a pick on a player who may or may not want to play for the leafs, when we have several d already, and Gardiner not too far away. PP will turn around, this is a knee jerk reacation to hopefully kick start it, which may or may not work. Pass thank you very much.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:15 AM
  #17
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,633
vCash: 500
Zero interest in Visnovsky. He's 36 and wasn't very good at all last year, plus he's totally redundant on our team. We already have plenty of offensive dmen who shoot left (Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner once he's back, and long term Rielly), we just don't need him.

Also, personnel is not the issue with our PP. Guys like Liles, Kadri and Franson are all very good PP players, but for some reason we're keeping them off the 1st PP unit in favour of guys like Kostka and Bozak. Lubo would just be one more solid PP player that we decide not to play.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:24 AM
  #18
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 50
Not interested at all.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.