HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for 2014 5th Round Draft Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I don't think we do. I'd rather not have a guy in his first AHL season come up and join a contender that's already icing two rookie defensemen. That's not a recipe for success.

You can live with a few rookie mistakes while guys learn the ropes. Nearly half your blueline though? I'd rather not.
I agree. But I think that when the roster size expands, we'll see Mark Eaton signed to round out the #7 or #8 spot.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
How long is letang out

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
How long is letang out
Haven't seen a timetable. He has a groin injury. No idea how serious though.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I agree. But I think that when the roster size expands, we'll see Mark Eaton signed to round out the #7 or #8 spot.
Probably...but I don't think he's an adequate substitute for any of our top 7 in the same way Strait could've been. Hopefully he can find some of his old mojo.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Illinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'll tell you at the end of the season. There are still a ton of wrinkles that need to be ironed out in their games. Despres' ceiling is much, much higher, but it remains to be seen if he can get there.

Personally, I don't like the "get over it" or "he didn't fit in to the future" talk. Losing a solid, NHL ready #5 d-man that would have cost less than $1M dollars is something to be angry about.
Compared to the alternatives:

A: Send Despres back to AHL
B: Trade Niskanen or Engelland
C: Lose Bortuzzo instead

I think we did the right thing.
I don't think we would've been able to trade Strait or Bortuzzo because all other teams would know that they're about to hit the waiver wire.
I wouldn't have been comfortable trading either of the more 'known' commodities in option B.
The only one that I would've considered is A, but I don't think that holding onto Strait is a higher priority than letting Despres develop. We have other defensemen coming soon and we need to know what we can expect from Despres now so that we can audition Dumoulin and/or Morrow next year.

It's unfortunate but it had to be done. We had higher priorities.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I am just amused what people think Strait would possibly get out of a trade? What do you guys think? There is no way a team was giving us more than a 5th rounder for Strait.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I am just amused what people think Strait would possibly get out of a trade? What do you guys think? There is no way a team was giving us more than a 5th rounder for Strait.
For sure. But why is trading Strait the only possibility here?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
For sure. But why is trading Strait the only possibility here?
I'm not mad we traded him and I would not be mad if they kept him. Truth is.. he was never going to start on a regular basis with all of our depth. Shero ended up getting the 5th rounder we all crave anyway.

It's just a weird situation to still be pissed at. Lovejoy got us our 5th. I'm actually very happy Strait is getting ice time w/ NY. He's averaging 18+ minutes a game, is a -2, and has 1 assist on the season. I always thought he was an all-around player, but nothing special.

After seeing Bort play, I think Bort is better than Strait. And I'm not trying to make Strait sound bad. He's a solid defender... but people need to realize we were just too stacked at that position. Holding on to him would make what sense? We have 7 defense that are all better and guys like Morrow in the AHL.

edit: And I wouldn't be surprised if Strait doesn't make it to another contract. He's not doing that amazing.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
It's just a weird situation to still be pissed at. Lovejoy got us our 5th. I'm actually very happy Strait is getting ice time w/ NY. He's averaging 18+ minutes a game, is a -2, and has 1 assist on the season. I always thought he was an all-around player, but nothing special.
For me, it's kind of the idea that it was a wasted pick, then. Strait basically became the type of defenseman he was drafted to become. So if that "type" has no place on this roster, why draft a guy like him in the first place? It's not like the Pens envisioned him to be a two-way stud who could produce 30 points a year to go along with his defensive game, but instead his offensive game never materialized the way they hoped. Strait basically became what he was drafted to become.

For me, there's just a disconnect there.

Quote:
edit: And I wouldn't be surprised if Strait doesn't make it to another contract. He's not doing that amazing.
Do you mean his next contract? Because he signed a 3-year extension with the Isles.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
It's not about the 5th, but more so getting that 2013 5th rather than the 2014 5th for Lovejoy. Strait was younger, better and had a lot more upside since he's still just starting out while being younger at 25.

Shero tried to sneak him down, and it bit him in the rear.

Other than that neither are that much of a concern.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
He was signed to a three year deal after playing just six games with the Islanders . I think it is fair to say that they were quite happy, and for a rookie I would say that he has done a great job so far. He sure was excellent in both games against us.

Anyway, I agree he is not a big loss. It is more the fact that we didn't prioritize him over Lovejoy that again suggests to me that we are not evaluating our assets on D that well/not being very good at integrating young talent unless we are absolutely forced to.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:49 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
It's not about the 5th, but more so getting that 2013 5th rather than the 2014 5th for Lovejoy. Strait was younger, better and had a lot more upside since he's still just starting out while being younger at 25.

Shero tried to sneak him down, and it bit him in the rear.

Other than that neither are that much of a concern.

Why are people so stubborn and naive? "Shero tried to sneak him down". I'd like people to explain how they are clairvoyant and can see into the mind of Shero. Or how about you show me a quote in which Shero, DB or another membmer of the Pens brass state that they tried to "sneak" Strait down, but failed to do so.

I bet the Pens were 95% sure that Strait would get claimed. I bet scoured the field for all the offers they could find to see if they could get a decent return. Maybe the Pens were getting offers on both Strait AND Lovejoy, but the offers for the latter were higher. Has anyone ever thought of that? I have no problem with the Pens trying to "sneak" down Strait -- knowing full well that he would probably get claimed -- rather than take some ****** offer for him.

Sure, I would have also liked to see us get a nice return for a player that we drafted and developed, but perhaps that just wasn't possible. And if all this happened because of how well previous "fringe" guys like Despres, Niskanen, Bortuzzo and Engelland -- and even last year's Martin -- have been playing, well then I ain't gonna cry about it.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
I'm not mad we traded him and I would not be mad if they kept him. Truth is.. he was never going to start on a regular basis with all of our depth. Shero ended up getting the 5th rounder we all crave anyway.

It's just a weird situation to still be pissed at. Lovejoy got us our 5th.
Who's craving these 5th rounders, man?

A 5th is better than nothing, but a lot worse than having Strait instead of Reese as our #8.

Quote:
After seeing Bort play, I think Bort is better than Strait. And I'm not trying to make Strait sound bad. He's a solid defender... but people need to realize we were just too stacked at that position. Holding on to him would make what sense? We have 7 defense that are all better and guys like Morrow in the AHL.
Well now, for instance, we have 2 top 4 defensemen injured for an indeterminate period and Reese playing as our #6. I'd be a lot happier with Strait getting those minutes now than I am with a 5th rounder in 2014.

Quote:
He's already gotten a 3 year deal in NYI. I mean, we can try to diminish what he's doing just because he's on the Isles, but he's playing with Streit on their 1st pairing as a rookie and averaging 2 min of PK time a game. And he's looked pretty good doing it.

Maybe he's not "amazing", but I'm not sure how someone could reasonably expect more from an unflashy defensive defenseman to start his 1st full season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For me, it's kind of the idea that it was a wasted pick, then. Strait basically became the type of defenseman he was drafted to become. So if that "type" has no place on this roster, why draft a guy like him in the first place? It's not like the Pens envisioned him to be a two-way stud who could produce 30 points a year to go along with his defensive game, but instead his offensive game never materialized the way they hoped. Strait basically became what he was drafted to become.

For me, there's just a disconnect there.
There's also that.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 02-09-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old
02-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Giskard

Quote:
Well now, for instance, we have 2 top 4 defensemen injured for an indeterminate period and Reese playing as our #6. I'd be a lot happier with Strait getting those minutes now than I am with a 5th rounder in 2014.
And this would had been the first game that Strait had play this season ... I'm OK with Reese, he played a good game. Only because Strait was drafted by the Pens, doesn't automatically make him a better player then Reese.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
And this would had been the first game that Strait had play this season ... I'm OK with Reese, he played a good game. Only because Strait was drafted by the Pens, doesn't automatically make him a better player then Reese.
Reese being 28 and not making a terrible, terrible, terrible Islanders defense as a regular at any point over the past three years, while Strait excels, partners Streit and gets signed to a three year pro deal straight off the bat, that makes Strait better than Reese. That and the eye test .

No problem with Reese though. He is a nice enough depth D-man by all accounts. But he is hardly an NHL'er and you cannot compare the two.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:57 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Why are people so stubborn and naive? "Shero tried to sneak him down". I'd like people to explain how they are clairvoyant and can see into the mind of Shero. Or how about you show me a quote in which Shero, DB or another membmer of the Pens brass state that they tried to "sneak" Strait down, but failed to do so.

I bet the Pens were 95% sure that Strait would get claimed. I bet scoured the field for all the offers they could find to see if they could get a decent return. Maybe the Pens were getting offers on both Strait AND Lovejoy, but the offers for the latter were higher. Has anyone ever thought of that? I have no problem with the Pens trying to "sneak" down Strait -- knowing full well that he would probably get claimed -- rather than take some ****** offer for him.

Sure, I would have also liked to see us get a nice return for a player that we drafted and developed, but perhaps that just wasn't possible. And if all this happened because of how well previous "fringe" guys like Despres, Niskanen, Bortuzzo and Engelland -- and even last year's Martin -- have been playing, well then I ain't gonna cry about it.
Right, and how do we know there was even a market for Strait at all beyond the Islanders? Does Shero and Snow even have any relationship after the crap that went down?

Old
02-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Lovejoy was decent last night for the Ducks, even came close to scoring the tying goal in the 3rd

Old
02-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I saw the Revernd on a couple shifts also. I was surprised he was out there to be honest but hey... maybe that's a good sign Anaheim is not confident in its D depth. Bigger trades looming perhaps. We'll see.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I saw the Revernd on a couple shifts also. I was surprised he was out there to be honest but hey... maybe that's a good sign Anaheim is not confident in its D depth. Bigger trades looming perhaps. We'll see.
Yep. Good point.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:14 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Or they know Pens waivers/traded non needed D are good enough for their team because the all great Shero is great at finding them.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
What TR said, haha.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I can't believe people are still getting hung up over the Strait thing. Geez...

Old
02-09-2013, 01:26 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post

Yeah, especially after Despres has significantly elevated his play and consistency over the last couple of games (last one and so far today).

Old
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Yeah, especially after Despres has significantly elevated his play and consistency over the last couple of games (last one and so far today).
Despres has nothing to do with it. Never has.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Really, he's gone and i'm sure he's happy to be playing everynight even if it's for a bottom team. Guys like Strait and Bortuzzo have to get NHL ice time to prove themselves. I'm sure the Pens never would have given him the same deal the Islanders gave him and when all is said and done, for a guy like him, it's about the money. He's not going to be making millions so he's got to get the best deal he can. I'm willing to bet Bortuzzo won't get as good a deal from the Pens as Strait got from the Islanders. .

Closed Thread