HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Portland [Gallacher] poised for NHL bid? (QMI's Perry Nelson) See Post #18

Old
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

vCash: 500
This again. I'd love a team here, but it's highly unlikely to happen.
  • An NHL franchise would have to compete for ticket money and media attention with the beloved NBA Trail Blazers, a local institution, in essentially the same playing season. That is a significant challenge in a relatively small city.
  • The potential NHL ticket-buying fanbase is tiny. WHL hockey does well here, mostly, but the majority of the Winterhawks crowd doesn't have the interest or wherewithal to be regular purchasers of far more expensive NHL tickets.
  • There is only a modest corporate presence here, none of which has expressed any interest in supporting an NHL team when that possibility has been raised in the past.
Paul Allen, who has stated he is not a hockey fan, has researched the viability of owning an NHL franchise in Portland, to provide a second major Rose Garden tenant. That research was not encouraging, and he dropped the idea. I doubt Gallacher, or any other potential owner, has seen anything change since.

Realistically, Portland falls into Bettman's "grow the game" wet dream category. Seattle is a much better option, given a viable arena there.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
AIUI, Allen is not well (as in severe, fatal disease; and may not be around in a few years). Gallacher is mentioned as "the" owner of the NBA Portland, so I don't know that Allen is that much of an impediment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i know he's battled cancer twice (most recently in 2009) but thought he was all clear. Do you have any sources to allen's current health?
due to his place--his health is watched and as of 1 year ago the cancer was gone

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:41 AM
MoreOrr
B4

If Portland got a team, would the Chicago Blackhawks veto the idea of using the Winterhawks name or just the logo? Certainly the logo would be a no-go, but I could imagine the Winterhawk name with a completely different logo.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
If Portland got a team, would the Chicago Blackhawks veto the idea of using the Winterhawks name or just the logo? Certainly the logo would be a no-go, but I could imagine the Winterhawk name with a completely different logo.
They probably would veto it, tbqh, even if they changed the logo. Don't want another "Hawks" team in the league, after all.

As I said in the Seattle topic last night, they'd do the same thing as they did with the Mohawks and forced them to become the Scouts instead.

Also didn't help that Kansas City also wanted to have an Indian Head sweater, and Chicago was none-too-keen on that notion....

EDIT: Whoops, didn't even notice you were the same person I was responding to in the Seattle topic with that, haha.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:35 AM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

I recall San Jose proposed "Ice Hawks" before going with Sharks. It's not just Chicago that had a problem with it... it's simply an originality issue with the league and fans.

The former pro WHL had the Portland Buckaroos. It's an option... though I would think something else would be used.

I know several people who wanted Timbers for Portland NHL. They obviously didn't move to get NHL in time.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:37 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Allen does not need to be a figure in Portland's financial landscape. Portland is a flourishing city and can certainly support a major league franchise. I'd have guessed NFL before NHL, but that's another topic.

The funny thing about Portland is Vancouver, Washington. This is a seperate entity in another state but it also functions as Portland's North side. This is relevant because Washington is a low tax state and it is cheaper to build there. A new stadium built in Vancouver would benefit Portland's bid with lower taxation. As well, Olympia has shown kindness to arena seekers before. Washington would reap the financial benefit of Portland's fanbase. To rub salt in the wound you could aquire and relocate the Ducks! Even the threat of an Oregon Ducks team playing in Vancouver should be enough to spur Mr.Allen into action, lol!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I would think the name would be vetoed also. Kansas City wanted to name their team the Mohawks (MO being the post code for Missouri) but Chicago vetoed so they settled on the Scouts.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Shawa666

I'm still partial to the Portland Rosebuds.

Shawa666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Mightygoose

I like the Rosebuds too. When they play the Leafs it can be labeled - battle of the 'Buds'

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
if Allen is unwell, it would be a boost for the NHL to Portland and a downer for the NHL to Seattle. Because there will be pressure for a local billionaire to buy the Seahawks.
Seattle is swimming in billionaires. No shortage of potential owners. Seattle is miles away the better destination for the NHL.

Nuclear SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Allen does not need to be a figure in Portland's financial landscape. Portland is a flourishing city and can certainly support a major league franchise.
But do they have the deep pockets to pull together a local ownership? Scratch Phil Knight off any potential list.

Quote:
. As well, Olympia has shown kindness to arena seekers before.
Ha! Would never happen, especially with the Rose Garden across the river.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:17 AM
MoreOrr
B4

If Seattle would be named the Totems or Thunderbirds, then why couldn't Portland be named the Cascades?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Seattle is swimming in billionaires. No shortage of potential owners. Seattle is miles away the better destination for the NHL.
That didn't help save the SuperSonics from a move to OK City did it?

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
A team moving to Oregon changes everything expansion-wise. Seattle and Quebec City would both still be open. The northwest is the new south.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:54 AM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
A team moving to Oregon changes everything expansion-wise. Seattle and Quebec City would both still be open. The northwest is the new south.
I wouldn`t call it the new south, I think a more proper one is the place they should of went in the first place.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Allen does not need to be a figure in Portland's financial landscape. Portland is a flourishing city and can certainly support a major league franchise. I'd have guessed NFL before NHL, but that's another topic.

The funny thing about Portland is Vancouver, Washington. This is a seperate entity in another state but it also functions as Portland's North side. This is relevant because Washington is a low tax state and it is cheaper to build there. A new stadium built in Vancouver would benefit Portland's bid with lower taxation. As well, Olympia has shown kindness to arena seekers before. Washington would reap the financial benefit of Portland's fanbase. To rub salt in the wound you could aquire and relocate the Ducks! Even the threat of an Oregon Ducks team playing in Vancouver should be enough to spur Mr.Allen into action, lol!
Congratulations on finding more reasons to convince Portlanders to oppose the replacement of the I-5 bridge across the Columbia River.

Portlanders call it "Vantucky," BTW.

It's funny, Vancouver had a chance at AAA baseball and completely passed, then mulled over an offer for single A baseball and, at least, gave that proposal the time of day before voting it down. The state of Washington did squat then, and I think any situation where large quantities of Portlanders cross the river, frankly, scares Vantucky. They seem uninterested in stuff like this; they're more interested in paving over Portland so they can get to work faster.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

BTW...

Old
02-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
That didn't help save the SuperSonics from a move to OK City did it?
You don't know the history, do you? The CEO of Microsoft and the founder/CEO of Costco wanted to buy the team but the Okies wouldn't sell. Howard Schultz never gave locals a chance to buy the team when he sold them in a quick, late night sale to the lying Okies who never intended to give Seattle a chance to save the team.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Congratulations on finding more reasons to convince Portlanders to oppose the replacement of the I-5 bridge across the Columbia River.

Portlanders call it "Vantucky," BTW.
Portlissippi < Vantucky. There is a reason why Clark County, WA has been one of the fastest growing counties in the NW over the last quarter century.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
silvercanuck

hipsters vs Boeing engineers. Could get rough! hehe

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:02 AM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Portlissippi < Vantucky. There is a reason why Clark County, WA has been one of the fastest growing counties in the NW over the last quarter century.
Try "county with the highest unemployment in the metro area."

Smack aside, Clark County has demonstrated being thoroughly un-inclined to devote taxes to pro sports. Of course, the only reason Portland devotes anything to pro sports is to keep old properties engaged and to make money off Blazers fans.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
I recall San Jose proposed "Ice Hawks" before going with Sharks. It's not just Chicago that had a problem with it... it's simply an originality issue with the league and fans.

The former pro WHL had the Portland Buckaroos. It's an option... though I would think something else would be used.

I know several people who wanted Timbers for Portland NHL. They obviously didn't move to get NHL in time.
Portland Lumberjacks or Oregon Owls, maybe?

02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
With the lumberjacks, I still have the defunct lacrosse team on the brain with that name.

Though different spelling for sure.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Portland Cascades
Portland Trekkers
Portland Expedition
Portland Rapids
Portland/Oregon Overlanders

Old
02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
HugoSimon

What`s wrong with the Portland Coyotes.

I think any relocation should make an honest attempt to keep the original teams name.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote