HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
PK76

vCash: 500
If there was ever one situation in which a coach could point the finger at one specific player, it's this one. I have no problems at all with what Therrien said. You can't be that stupid...plain and simple.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
deandebean

What Therrien did was perfectly ok. He said it right. It was not Pat Burns-like, not even close. But he had a right to say it. We have been accustomed to coaches who would be bland and say nothing with the Habs. This is 2013. Most coaches do blow a fuse. I mean, if you think that would stop Torts to blow a fuse...

I thought Therrien handled himself pretty good yesterday. I believe (and it's not even a guess) that ALL the rest of the squad is behind Therrien in this one. I do think someone had a fit inside the locker room regarding White's behavior. I mean, if I was his teammate, and a respected vet, I would have had a serious talk with the dude. The guy cost the team 2 games already. In a short season, it is unacceptable.

Therrien also admitted that he made a mistake. That's pretty solid. And that means one thing: White is one mistake away from going back to Hamilton. And that's ok too. Dumont would do a better job.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Guillaume Lefranēois ‏@GLefrancoisRC

#Habs Therrien ne confirme pas si White sera absent demain

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Top Corner2

baaaaahahaaahahaaa

I love that Therrien interview...

I love the end ..."c'etais pas mon meilleur decision...)

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
zzoo

Michel Therrien au sujet de Lars Eller : "Lui, il a compris le message."

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
What Therrien did was perfectly ok. He said it right. It was not Pat Burns-like, not even close. But he had a right to say it. We have been accustomed to coaches who would be bland and say nothing with the Habs. This is 2013. Most coaches do blow a fuse. I mean, if you think that would stop Torts to blow a fuse...

I thought Therrien handled himself pretty good yesterday. I believe (and it's not even a guess) that ALL the rest of the squad is behind Therrien in this one. I do think someone had a fit inside the locker room regarding White's behavior. I mean, if I was his teammate, and a respected vet, I would have had a serious talk with the dude. The guy cost the team 2 games already. In a short season, it is unacceptable.

Therrien also admitted that he made a mistake. That's pretty solid. And that means one thing: White is one mistake away from going back to Hamilton. And that's ok too. Dumont would do a better job.
might not seen that much of Trots post-games, but i don't remember him calling out/singling out players. He's very animated in post games, but doesn't seem like he would single out players, given that he is very close to all his players and seems to be type of coach who is aware of players individualistic needs and differences.
Might be wrong; would be good if someone with more knowledge could refresh my memory.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
might not seen that much of Trots post-games, but i don't remember him calling out/singling out players. He's very animated in post games, but doesn't seem like he would single out players, given that he is very close to all his players and seems to be type of coach who is aware of players individualistic needs and differences.
Might be wrong; would be good if someone with more knowledge could refresh my memory.
Trotz is in a non-hockey market. Put him in Montreal and see how he reacts.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Trotz is in a non-hockey market. Put him in Montreal and see how he reacts.
oh Trotz.
thought you were talking about tortorella
don't ask why-____-

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
deandebean

Therrien is not attacking a vet here. He's challenging a pup. And the vets like that. What he said was warranted. I would have seen Pat Burns do the same many times. And Pat was a great coach.

Personally, I think Therrien has handled himself perfectly up until now.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
oh Trotz.
thought you were talking about tortorella
don't ask why-____-
Ah, hehehe. I read Trots, and you wanted to write Torts. Hehehe. Torts has singled out players before. No question. And many times in the past. Not as violently as Burns, but he did nonetheless. Ask Vinny.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
"The first time it happened, we had a talk about it. The second time, we sent him a message. The third time.... he better get it this time."
Thanks, definitely always a controversial thing to do, when you go public on what a guy did, or didn't do........hard to say what this will do to White, and the team....but to make these kinds of bad mistakes over and over, MT was emotional and passionate about the loss, and wants everyone to know White is guilty as charged...right or wrong...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I do believe that Therrien had to call out White this time around. The first time, he didn't call him out. He didn't do it the second time either. But three times, it's time to take a different approach.

Having said that, Therrien likes White and unlike many, I don't expect him to be sent anywhere. He'll be in the line-up soon enough.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I do believe that Therrien had to call out White this time around. The first time, he didn't call him out. He didn't do it the second time either. But three times, it's time to take a different approach.

Having said that, Therrien likes White and unlike many, I don't expect him to be sent anywhere. He'll be in the line-up soon enough.
I think calling up Dumont might send a different message.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
But three times, it's time to take a different approach.
If it would have been three times over the span of a season, that would have been one thing. But White has done it over a span of only seven games played Maybe Therrien shouldn't have called him out but I really can't blame him for it either. Therrien is right, White better understand this time.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost View Post
If it would have been three times over the span of a season, that would have been one thing. But White has done it over a span of only seven games played Maybe Therrien shouldn't have called him out but I really can't blame him for it either. Therrien is right, White better understand this time.
I don't now what Therrien said, but lets remember that White had the same issue last year under different coaches. Whatever has been done, the message is not getting through, and I cant tell why.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Et le But

I don't like coaches publicly calling out players...but there is a time and place for it, and at this point White needs to get the message. If this was the first or even second time this would be over the top, but sometimes you can't play nice even if White's heart is in the right place.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
The Russian General
Forēa Portugal

There's a lot of other factors. It depends a lot on how it's handled behind closed doors and how White's teammates handled it.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bashing White just happened to make people forget about ALL the other things that went wrong last night and most of which are the same than the ones who aren't exactly bright for quite some games now....Therrien included. But White, like Eller, is an easy target. And honestly, I just don't see what he achieved here. Everybody could bash White. What did you proove to the people, the fans, or the players? Isn't that the "no excuse" era? What was the score after the White penalty...were we still leading? Oh ****...that's true...we could have won if the bozos that were on the ice with 2 seconds left would have played with really the intention of defending the net. And if we would have had a goalie awaken enough to realize where the puck was BEFORE Ott pushing him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
ClasslessGuy

what about the no excuses policy?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Habsrback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Gallagher on shootouts, please.
Agreed

My Shootout roster:

Galchenyuk,
Gallagher,
Markov,
Subban
Plek

Others can be added depening on how hot they are that night, but I would always choose at least 2 out of that list. No need to put the Captain to please the gallery.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:30 AM
DAChampion

Maybe Therrien needs to figure out why the penalty kill got so much worse than it was under the mentorship of Randy Cunneyworth.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bashing White just happened to make people forget about ALL the other things that went wrong last night and most of which are the same than the ones who aren't exactly bright for quite some games now....Therrien included. But White, like Eller, is an easy target. And honestly, I just don't see what he achieved here. Everybody could bash White. What did you proove to the people, the fans, or the players? Isn't that the "no excuse" era? What was the score after the White penalty...were we still leading? Oh ****...that's true...we could have won if the bozos that were on the ice with 2 seconds left would have played with really the intention of defending the net. And if we would have had a goalie awaken enough to realize where the puck was BEFORE Ott pushing him.
You have to analyze the scenario to understand why White was one of the guys singled out in this game. First of all, the game was in control, as buffalo looked like a conceded team. Montreal is not a good enough team to have a large margin for error, especially with Budaj in net. I can stomach losing when the other team simply beats you, but I don't accept being beaten by yourself. Why on earth would any player on the right side of a 4-2 lead try to revive the energy level of the game? I'm not even talking about the 4 min penalty, the play to go after Ott was bad enough on its own. He gave Ott exactly what he was looking for. Just let the game die, and celebrate the 2 points. Instead, it ends up being a turning point.

Now the sabres get a quick PP goal, and all bets are off. This is not the first time White has gone after a player in the same fashion. It is happening this year, and it happened last year too. The only difference is that this game ended up costing the team a point in the standings. Its a chronic issue, and for that, you damn well better bring attention to it, rather than brush it aside and wait for it to happen again.

Last edited by Hackett: 02-09-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Mats86

Therrien didn't learn much from his Molson Meltdown days. Faceoff deep why not have his best crease clearing d-men out there? Markov not his strong suit and Gorges just had his bell rung. Neither were up to the task. Subban his best d-man and Elemin best at clearing the crease

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Therrien didn't learn much from his Molson Meltdown days. Faceoff deep why not have his best crease clearing d-men out there? Markov not his strong suit and Gorges just had his bell rung. Neither were up to the task. Subban his best d-man and Elemin best at clearing the crease
I'm not a fan of our defense pairs. Emelin hasn't looked as sharp on the right side. One guy we know can play well of wing is Gorges. I would do:

Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz

On the PK,
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:22 AM
BlackStar

I think people's dislike for Therrien before he got the job is clouding their judgment. I LOVE White a lot as a player for this team, yet I am okay with what Therrien did. I am sure that Therrien is a fan of White, but he wants White to be a responsible player. If White can be more disciplined, he can be a very good 4th liner for this team, we need a guy like him, and I think Therrien knows it.

Yet, I'd be more impressed with Therrien if he plays White tonight, and scratches Armstrong instead for Moen. White is a good humble guy, he just needs to learn when to act out and when not to, he's still learning a lot in this league. I'm sure that White "gets it now", he is pretty upset about it and expects to be sitting tonight, how great for his confidence and his play would it be to give him another shot tonight? I hope that's what happens.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote