HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Hyphistos

vCash: 500
I don't want to naysay, but honestly, I wouldn't be completely surprised, if we see Nabby today as well for a period or so. Would love to be entirely wrong, but I have a very bad feeling about our GA today.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
19NYSports91

I think we're going to get destroyed today and it doesn't matter who is in net. I would start DP tonight so we have a better chance at beating the Jets on Sunday.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Ugh. This is why it hurts to have DP on the roster. Nabby didn't play great last night, but he saw a lot of shots and he needs to stay fresh. At the same time, everyone knows that Boston's size is going to have us pinned in deep for large portions of this game. Starting DP sends the message that it's going to be a long night. At least with a kid like Poulin there's a shot he can recover after a first save, while DP is still wincing on the ground (poor guy, no malice intended, but it's the truth).

It's going to be a long night.

Cheers,

Dan-o
It is doubly a problem as the Isles have a full roster and can't bring up another goalie without putting somebody on waivers. Ideally, even if the team starts DP, we would have Poulin or Nilsson in as the backup tonight. There is a pretty decent chance that the Isles need a backup, and Nabokov needs to rest for Sunday as the team is in the middle of a 3 in 4/4 in 6 stretch.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I think with Rickey its pretty safe to assume the worst.. I don't care if he comes out and stands on his head and plays like a brick wall I'm going to be nervous everytime he's out on the ice until he can consistently show hes not as slow and stiff as he was during the scrimmage... and even then I'm going to assume the worst.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I know Ricky D is a buy out option but will they pull the trigger? I think they have to pay him 2/3rds of his contract. That's probably about 25 Million. I know it's expected but unless they cahange their MO they are always looking to get to the cap floor. His salary helps them do that even though it's weight around the teams neck. Will Wang bite the bullet?
Very unlikely. Option is to buy Rick out and have Wang pay him the $20M+...or have Rick eventually retire and have insurance cover it. Wang will choose the cheapest option, even if it means having Rick back up Nabby/Poulin/Nilsson for a few more seasons (hopefully not for the full 8 or 9 seasons remaining).

Problem is (and this is THE big reason why alot of fans booed the guy)...is that, in the games he has played over the course of the last 3-4 seasons...Rick has been terrible. We're talking, since 2007-2008...he has been atrocious. And the proof is in his stats.

2008-09...15 GA on 139 shots, .892 S%, 3.52 GAA
2009-10...20 GA on 201 shots, .900 S%, 2.60 GAA
2010-11...88 GA on 773 shots, .886 S%, 3.44 GAA
2011-12...22 GA on 172 shots, .876 S%, 3.73 GAA

The last two seasons in particular, he has been among the worst goaltenders in the league...bottom 5 in 2011 and THE worst in 2012 in S% and GAA. And every one of those seasons were cut short due to knee swelling and or getting his face smashed in.

And I'm one of the fans that doesn't necessarily fault either party for signing that contract in 2006. Rick was on his way to becoming an elite, All-Star goaltender. While signing a contract like that one carried big risks...locking him in at $4.5M for the balance of his career could've been a smart move had he continued to play like a top-10 goalie in the league, which some #1 goalies are commanding near $7M now. And I don't think any one of us would pass up the opportunity to get $4.5M deposited into our bank account for the next 15 years. Problem is, Rick's body crumbled, and within the first couple years of the deal, he couldn't play at the level his contract commanded him to.

I like Rick alot, even though I rip on him. He legitimately loves this team and I hope he stays with this organization in another capacity. But from what we've seen of the guy these past few seasons and what we heard happened in Germany...I don't think he deserves a 9th, 10th, or 11th chance.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Jesus saves!

WWRD? Probably save the Bruins from playing their top two lines the whole game.

Hope to Christ this guy can put it together for 60 minutes and somehow walk away with a win, but at least, as always, he looks the part.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Very unlikely. Option is to buy Rick out and have Wang pay him the $20M+...or have Rick eventually retire and have insurance cover it. Wang will choose the cheapest option, even if it means having Rick back up Nabby/Poulin/Nilsson for a few more seasons (hopefully not for the full 8 or 9 seasons remaining).

Problem is (and this is THE big reason why alot of fans booed the guy)...is that, in the games he has played over the course of the last 3-4 seasons...Rick has been terrible. We're talking, since 2007-2008...he has been atrocious. And the proof is in his stats.

2008-09...15 GA on 139 shots, .892 S%, 3.52 GAA
2009-10...20 GA on 201 shots, .900 S%, 2.60 GAA
2010-11...88 GA on 773 shots, .886 S%, 3.44 GAA
2011-12...22 GA on 172 shots, .876 S%, 3.73 GAA

The last two seasons in particular, he has been among the worst goaltenders in the league...bottom 5 in 2011 and THE worst in 2012 in S% and GAA. And every one of those seasons were cut short due to knee swelling and or getting his face smashed in.

And I'm one of the fans that doesn't necessarily fault either party for signing that contract in 2006. Rick was on his way to becoming an elite, All-Star goaltender. While signing a contract like that one carried big risks...locking him in at $4.5M for the balance of his career could've been a smart move had he continued to play like a top-10 goalie in the league, which some #1 goalies are commanding near $7M now. And I don't think any one of us would pass up the opportunity to get $4.5M deposited into our bank account for the next 15 years. Problem is, Rick's body crumbled, and within the first couple years of the deal, he couldn't play at the level his contract commanded him to.

I like Rick alot, even though I rip on him. He legitimately loves this team and I hope he stays with this organization in another capacity. But from what we've seen of the guy these past few seasons and what we heard happened in Germany...I don't think he deserves a 9th, 10th, or 11th chance.
What happened in Germany?

Old
02-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

What happened with Rick in germany?

Old
02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

rumors of an injury that kept him off the ice.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

i don't hate ricky, i just wish he'd stop experimenting with returning to play because of what allowing for that experiment does (and already did) to the isles.

i want a back up to be reliable and steady, first and foremost. the role of the backup is to spell the starter so that he can refresh. if your backup needs replacing midway thru a game, due to an injury or general rust, he's not doing his job. as a close second (secondly and secondmost), i'd like my backup to be able to, on any given night, steal a game. that provides a huge lift for the team. it lets them start that game knowing that they don't have to be flawless to win in front of the guy.

based on those things, if Ricky succeeds as a backup this season, i'd be amazed - and happy for him... but his salary is not fitting for a backup so i understand wanting him to retire. if he gets injured this season, i'll hope he retires.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
azaloum90

WIll Dipietro be bought out at the end of this season?

Rangers fan, coming in peace.

Just curious about what players the isles will buy out (if they choose to do so). Off the top of my head, I would assume Dipietro will be at least one of those buyouts.

Does anyone know?

Adam

Old
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Rangers fan, coming in peace.

Just curious about what players the isles will buy out (if they choose to do so). Off the top of my head, I would assume Dipietro will be at least one of those buyouts.

Does anyone know?

Adam
Considering our owner likely has a risqué poster of one bearded DiPietro in a banana boat thong in his office, I highly doubt he'll be bought out. Ever.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

After his year, Rick will be owed $4.5MM for 8 years = total $36MM.

Wang can buy him out for 2/3 of that - $24MM

Would the cap hit be REMOVED ALTOGETHER? Is that the amnesty part?
As opposed to the way it is regularly, where the cap hit would be HALF for TWICE the remaining years?

Without the amnesty buyout, DiPietro would be on the cap for $2.25MM for the next SIXTEEN YEARS.

But next year, they can give him $24MM up front and no cap implications on-going - is that correct?

-------------------------

EITHER WAY, when an owner goes out to acquire cap space for zero dollars, why would we EVER THINK that same owner would do the OPPOSITE a few months later? Pay money to eliminate cap space?

A team that wants to win, doesn't mind losing a few dollars along the way, will JUMP at the chance for an amnesty buyout. But a team like the Islanders? Well, I don't expect any DP buyout at all.

I almost expect Wang to convince Thomas to NEVER retire officially, so the Isles can continue to toll his contract year after year and get free cap space to meet the floor. It's horrible to think this way about "my team" - but that's what rock bottom looks/feels like my fellow Isles fans.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
After his year, Rick will be owed $4.5MM for 8 years = total $36MM.

Wang can buy him out for 2/3 of that - $24MM

Would the cap hit be REMOVED ALTOGETHER? Is that the amnesty part?
As opposed to the way it is regularly, where the cap hit would be HALF for TWICE the remaining years?

Without the amnesty buyout, DiPietro would be on the cap for $2.25MM for the next SIXTEEN YEARS.

But next year, they can give him $24MM up front and no cap implications on-going - is that correct?

-------------------------

EITHER WAY, when an owner goes out to acquire cap space for zero dollars, why would we EVER THINK that same owner would do the OPPOSITE a few months later? Pay money to eliminate cap space?

A team that wants to win, doesn't mind losing a few dollars along the way, will JUMP at the chance for an amnesty buyout. But a team like the Islanders? Well, I don't expect any DP buyout at all.

I almost expect Wang to convince Thomas to NEVER retire officially, so the Isles can continue to toll his contract year after year and get free cap space to meet the floor. It's horrible to think this way about "my team" - but that's what rock bottom looks/feels like my fellow Isles fans.
Ricky is healthy and getting paid real dollars, Wang dollars. Why would Wang be ok with paying a guy 4.5M/year to be a 5 game/year starter? Just for the cap hit? Doesnt make any sense...theres no cap "benefit" in Rick's contract, its straightline. The smart business move would be to buy him out as it saves money in the long run then manipulate the cap in other fashions (ala Thomas or acquiring late year players in declining value contracts with nomial cap hits).

You also have to figure that Ricky's contact might be uninsurable, so Wang could be on the hook for 100% of the value and the above would all make sense. However, if the Islanders were only able to insure a portion of his contact (like the final seven years), I can see Ricky retiring after the 2014 season and getting paid via insurance. This I believe is the plan as orchestrated by Wang, but I still have no idea. No one really does.

I believe the cap goes down next year, so it gives the Islanders a perfect chance to buy him out now, save money in the long run and manipulate the cap in other fashions. However, I believe if thats the plan it'll be done today. Thomas' acquisition permits it. If its not done today, then Rick will never be bought out and the best we as fans can hope for is he retire after 2014 if he's unable to return to form.

EDIT:
Imagine for a minute that Garth tolled Thomas' contact at the end of this year and received another 5 million in cap "benefit" for next. Imagine he kept doing that? Is there some rule on how many consecutive years a contact can be tolled? Whats to stop Wang/Snow from doing it over and over? I just threw up in my mouth. I wished to god that the Islanders got completely sold to Hamilton or whatever. At least the team would have an owner who gave a **** and the team would recover. We're the only ****ing team run like this!

Last edited by ferrisUML: 02-08-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Heartbreakkid

DiPitetro needs to start getting some starts. Nabby is being worn down and you can tell during the games. His awareness is down. Hes not paying attention. Hes not going after pucks in the corner or behind the net and is just picking up plays as they get close to him. Dipietro looked good in the only start this season. Obviously not great but better than I expected. Give the guy some time on the ice.

And im hoping picking up thomas contract gives us room to get rid of that p.o.s reasoner. Hes garbage.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:09 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Ricky is healthy and getting paid real dollars, Wang dollars. Why would Wang be ok with paying a guy 4.5M/year to be a 5 game/year starter? Just for the cap hit? Doesnt make any sense...theres no cap "benefit" in Rick's contract, its straightline. The smart business move would be to buy him out as it saves money in the long run then manipulate the cap in other fashions (ala Thomas or acquiring late year players in declining value contracts with nomial cap hits).

You also have to figure that Ricky's contact might be uninsurable, so Wang could be on the hook for 100% of the value and the above would all make sense. However, if the Islanders were only able to insure a portion of his contact (like the final seven years), I can see Ricky retiring after the 2014 season and getting paid via insurance. This I believe is the plan as orchestrated by Wang, but I still have no idea. No one really does.

I believe the cap goes down next year, so it gives the Islanders a perfect chance to buy him out now, save money in the long run and manipulate the cap in other fashions.

EDIT:
Imagine for a minute that Garth tolled Thomas' contact at the end of this year and received another 5 million in cap "benefit" for next. Imagine he kept doing that? Is there some rule on how many consecutive years a contact can be tolled? Whats to stop Wang/Snow from doing it over and over? I just threw up in my mouth. I wished to god that the Islanders got completely sold to Hamilton or whatever. At least the team would have an owner who gave a **** and the team would recover. We're the only ****ing team run like this!
Imagine? I'm willing to bet the Isles do just that if Thomas does not intend on playing.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreakkid View Post
DiPitetro needs to start getting some starts. Nabby is being worn down and you can tell during the games. His awareness is down. Hes not paying attention. Hes not going after pucks in the corner or behind the net and is just picking up plays as they get close to him. Dipietro looked good in the only start this season. Obviously not great but better than I expected. Give the guy some time on the ice.

And im hoping picking up thomas contract gives us room to get rid of that p.o.s reasoner. Hes garbage.
Did you ever follow Nabakov in San Jose? The man played 95% of the time. To say he is tired is ridiculous, he carried that team every year and sadly the offense forgot how to score in the playoffs. a worn out Nabakov gives us a greater edge then a hot and ready Rick DiPietro

Old
02-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Sparksrus3

How about a trade of DP for a snowblower.
1. They both do nothing but sit around.
2. They each get used 1 or 2 times a year.
3. They are both usually broken or at least in need of maintainence.
4. We cross our fingers that one will start and the other won't start.( you decide )
5. When in use they never perform up to expectations.( slight edge to snowblower)
6. If I was moving to Brooklyn I would not take either with me.
7. I would be happy to see 1 of them coming down the sidewalk
8. One of them could be traded for an upgrade or new one.The other not so much
9. A flat tire on 1 can be fixed
10. They both have a hard time on ice.

Hmmm. Edge to snowblower the islanders will have to add.

BEAT BUFFALO!!

Old
02-09-2013, 07:30 AM
steveat

So Dipi IS playing todays game against Buffalo?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
So Dipi IS playing todays game against Buffalo?
Check the GDT up top. May be some info in there.

02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
lacunacoil777

I think Capuano looked at rickeys lousy save % and realizes if he starts 6 games this year, he will be lucky to win 2. Thats why the coach cant play him. He flat out shouldnt be on the team, is not as good as 90% of the goalies on anyones AHL team, and the only reason he is on the team and gets to dress is because Wang is like a father figure to him, and wang is stubborn. At best he should be the practice goalie for cap reasons and the Isles should have POulin here.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Nolanitis

Looks like "rickety the goalie" is going to try and play goalie tonight as it is reported he is tonight's starter.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
I think Capuano looked at rickeys lousy save % and realizes if he starts 6 games this year, he will be lucky to win 2. Thats why the coach cant play him. He flat out shouldnt be on the team, is not as good as 90% of the goalies on anyones AHL team, and the only reason he is on the team and gets to dress is because Wang is like a father figure to him, and wang is stubborn. At best he should be the practice goalie for cap reasons and the Isles should have POulin here.
Absolutely, plus we need to really see if Poulin can play on this level before next year. If he can't we would have time to pick someone else up.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Looks like "rickety the goalie" is going to try and play goalie tonight as it is reported he is tonight's starter.
This is the right move. Nabokov needs a game off. He hasn't looked all that sharp lately. It's just unfortunate that Rick is going to be in net. His days as an NHL player are long over IMO.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
This is the right move. Nabokov needs a game off. He hasn't looked all that sharp lately. It's just unfortunate that Rick is going to be in net. His days as an NHL player are long over IMO.
No the right move is to send Dipietro to the minors and let him figure out if he can be a goaltender again, and then bring up Poulin. This is just another example of why this franchise is the joke of the NHL.

I am sure the Hurricanes are studying film hard to figure out how to score on Rickety!

What a joke. Unbelievable.

Closed Thread