HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So how about Mrazek

Old
02-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I just wanna know if he's got height advantage on Howard, howard is 183 or 184cm
I was at impression that he would be 6'2. He definitely looked smaller than that.

I think they are pretty same sized.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Does it matter?
Of course it does matter. Puck is 1 inch thick, so if he is 2 inches shorter, some shots will go through. It makes a bigger hole between shoulders and the crossbar.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:51 AM
DRWCountryClub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Of course it does matter. Puck is 1 inch thick, so if he is 2 inches shorter, some shots will go through. It makes a bigger hole between shoulders and the crossbar.
I think it's overrated. If you're good, doesn't matter if you're 6' or 6'2, IMO.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
I think it's overrated. If you're good, doesn't matter if you're 6' or 6'2, IMO.
You can't say it doesn't matter, because it's a fact that does matter. But I don't know how much it does matter. 10%? 5%? 1%? Dunno.

Mrazek looks like a "Jonathan Quick"-type, living with his unbelieveable speed and reactions, so being a Vezina-goalie is not counted out as his potential.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
You can't say it doesn't matter, because it's a fact that does matter. But I don't know how much it does matter. 10%? 5%? 1%? Dunno.

Mrazek looks like a "Jonathan Quick"-type, living with his unbelieveable speed and reactions, so being a Vezina-goalie is not counted out as his potential.
He said the difference between 6' and 6'2'' was overrated, he didn't say it didn't matter.
Everything matters but when you have the skill set and swagger/mental/confidence strength that Mrazek has, you're kidding yourself if you think the coaching staff is thinking of his height.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
aar000n

bump

Last edited by aar000n: 02-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
aar000n

Goal!!!!

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
All else equal, being 6'2 is better than being 6'0 for a goalie.

or any player, come to think of it.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

No Mrazek tomorrow

Quote:
Babcock said he will start again on Sunday, instead of rookie Petr Mrazek, who debuted against the Blues.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....g_propels.html

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Didn't Babs say after the St. Louis game that Mrazek was going to start either the next game or one this weekend?

There you go Babs, lie to the prospects.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Mrazek ****ing earned to start tomorrow, the next game is 22 hours after the edmonton game started... Howard will probably fail tomorrow...More important, Mrazek EARNED to start after his game against the blues.

Babcock SUCKS.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4v2bkOhl0Y

If mrazek takes a similar path the NHL as Howard, I'm going to make one of these videos but with Mrazek instead of Tebow

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Mrazek ****ing earned to start tomorrow, the next game is 22 hours after the edmonton game started... Howard will probably fail tomorrow...More important, Mrazek EARNED to start after his game against the blues.

Babcock SUCKS.
Stanley Cup Champion- Check
Olympic Gold Medal- Check
WJC Gold Medal- Check
Collegiate Championship- Check
World Championship- Check

Yup... Babcock SUCKS.

Man.. I didn't expect Mrazek to rise so fast (especially since he's a goaltender)... Not that I have any problems with Gustavsson, but we could have another Osgood/Hasek tandem if we had a Howard/Mrazek tandem next year.

Last edited by JmanWingsFan: 02-09-2013 at 07:15 PM.
JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:

Babcock SUCKS.
Wrong again flymind.

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
cupforwings09

Quote:

Babcock SUCKS.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You are a pessimist. Not only did Howard not fail today, he looked elite out there. Mrazek will get another start, but make no mistake, Jimmy Howard has EARNED this starting job.

And for your "Babcock sucks" comment... I think it speaks for itself.

cupforwings09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupforwings09 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You are a pessimist. Not only did Howard not fail today, he looked elite out there. Mrazek will get another start, but make no mistake, Jimmy Howard has EARNED this starting job.

And for your "Babcock sucks" comment... I think it speaks for itself.

Delightful.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
joe89

Slow down a bit here. Petr has barely dealt with any pro adversity yet, which is a huge part of the learning curve. It's not like he's a top goalie in the AHL already, even if he's had a massively impressive rookie campaign. Even first rounders and top goalie prospects like Rask and Schneider played 2-3 seasons in the minors. Lehner and Markstrom are in their 3rd year right now. It's great that he got a surprise game already this season, but it's more of a bonus. A couple of weeks training with Jimmy and get the odd start is fine for now, but after that he needs to play games on a regular basis. You simply don't skip development steps or overexpose goaltenders early in this day and age.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Atas2000

Mrazek was one smart pick by Mr.Holland. He absolutely rocked the WJC. Nearly stole a game from us. I knew back then the guy is going to be good. I can clearly see him replace Howard when the time comes.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Henkka

I just wonder that Mrazek's "magical power field" influence everywhere he goes. Where he goes, he does well, but also the other goalie turns to be great.

Like McCollum sucked, before Mrazek came. Together, both were great. Now McCollum is sucking again alone in AHL.

Mrazek comes to NHL, plays a good game, but turns Jimmy Howard also almost for phenomenal effort. Wings have conceded only 4 goals in three games, with this team using the "Mrazek power field".

He goes to ECHL, wins the first game. He goes to AHL All-Star game, his team wins.

It could be a coincidence, or it could be the competition or inspiring the other guy or something. But I really think this kid just has some good influence in him.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
BeerLeagueAllStar

Quote:
I just wonder that Mrazek's "magical power field" influence everywhere he goes. Where he goes, he does well, but also the other goalie turns to be great.
It's "Mragic"

BeerLeagueAllStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Does it matter?
Unless you're talking about two goalies that are 6' and 6'5'' a couple inches really isn't going to matter in the NHL when majority of them are technically sound and fast, we're talking about the best goalies in the world here. The difference between 5'9'' and 6'1'' or even 6' is a lot more drastic. The goalie that is 5'9'' is going to have to be light years ahead in terms of skill than the goalie that is 6' because if the shorter goalie is even slightly better or even they will take the bigger guy every time.

This applies with every position, except the Red Wings who love to draft those small skilled euro's

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Dynheart

Quote:

Like McCollum sucked, before Mrazek came. Together, both were great. Now McCollum is sucking again alone in AHL.

Mrazek comes to NHL, plays a good game, but turns Jimmy Howard also almost for phenomenal effort. Wings have conceded only 4 goals in three games, with this team using the "Mrazek power field".

He goes to ECHL, wins the first game. He goes to AHL All-Star game, his team wins.

It could be a coincidence, or it could be the competition or inspiring the other guy or something. But I really think this kid just has some good influence in him.
Call it competition.

As for Howard? I call that coincidence. Look at his stat sheet. Outside his start to the season, which is understandable, he played well. The Minnesota game? Why are his stat so low there? A fluky bounce off Zetterbergs leg and into the net. If you remember that game...he made a lot of key saves. One fluky bounce makes his stats plummet. He got the W anyway.

The second Blues game? He should have had a mental breather after that game, but no option. Got lit up the next two games.

In comes Mrazek. Does his thing...and I'm sure that, not only did Howie get the much needed rest he needed, but that healthy competition was there. Now? 2 great outings from the red wings number 1 goalie.

Play Howard on wed. then give him a rest; play Mrazek on Friday.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
hpleisman
Rookie User

Send Mrazek back down to GR if he isnt going to play. If he's seeing playing time fine, stay in Detroit but if not, he should be between the pipes for the Griffins. It will not only help him but the Griffs as well. They win in front of good goalies (see Mrazek and Conklin) and lose in front of bad ones (see McCollum, especially when he allows 4 goals every other night, you're asking a lot from the team then). It seems that not only would playing time benefit the Griffins, who haven't made the playoffs in 3 years, and prospects will only develop so much if they don't win (side note: wings havent gone deep in playoffs in 3 years either, correlation???). But also playing time will benefit Mrazek. He'll develop more as a starter for the Griffs than as a bench warmer for the Wings.

hpleisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
hpleisman
Rookie User

I do agree that Mrazek is a winner and a competitor but he needs to play in order to develop. 2 choices for the wings. Play him for Detroit or send him down to GR. Enough benchwarming for this kid. He's a stud, let him play.

hpleisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Kiddington
heehats

What exactly is the status on Gustavsson right now?

Can't play Howard every game...

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote