Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

Danes in the NHL and their exploits.

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 02:49 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
Wow I wasn't that far off with my anti-jinx predictions.. Gues it wasnt an Anti-jinx DAMMIT!

Montreal will beat Buffalo - But No eller points and a bad game from him - Buffalo won, but no Eller points - Don't know how he played, if someone could enlighten me ?

Islanders will loose bigtime - No Fransie points and a -2 rating - Well not a bigtime loss, but a clear loss, no points for Fransie, and a -2 rating.

Ottawa plays a great game - Regin will once again be invisible - Regin was according to the Sens board good, so that one was wrong, although he was -1

Vancouver will win in OT - One Hansen assist - Well we did win, and hansen did get a point, not an assist but a goal.

Chicago will FLAME Phoenix - Boedker plays an OK game, but no points and a -1 rating. - Well Chicago DID flame Phoenix, Boedker did get a -1 rating but also posted an Assist. Don't know how his overall game was, so again if someone could enlighten me? Also very little TOI for Boeds against the Hawks.

Guess my antijinxing isn't working....

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 02-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
matCH penalty

Hi. Not a Dane, so I hope I'm not intruding too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Montreal will beat Buffalo - But No eller points and a bad game from him - Buffalo won, but no Eller points - Don't know how he played, if someone could enlighten me ?
I really don't think he had a bad game at all. Actually, quite the opposite. Due to stupid penalties and the backup goalie killing our momentum, despite the four goals scored the offensive pressure was never very good and a lot of time had to be wasted figuring Buffalo out. Eller forechecked well and made the best of it. Meanwhile, Cole and Desharnais were useless. Therrien isn't going to ignore these situations forever. He'll promote Eller and do something about Desharnais, who's been awful this year so far. If not, we're screwed.

I suppose I'm not the average HF Habs fan (I rarely if ever post on the HF Habs section). I wanted the organization to trade Desharnais in the offseason and make Eller the default 2/3C with higher quality wingers. Desharnais' offensive production last season was IMO a fluke, and Eller has much higher potential and a more complete game. Ever since we traded for him, I've been excited. He's totally underrated around the NHL and particularly with certain segments of Habs fans. Based on the moves and attitudes of the organization following the shake ups after last year's debacle I really don't think he's likely to be traded in the near future. Which makes me happy, because I can see him turning into a much more noteworthy offensive threat with more consistent linemates and ice time.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post

I really don't think he had a bad game at all. Actually, quite the opposite. Due to stupid penalties and the backup goalie killing our momentum, despite the four goals scored the offensive pressure was never very good and a lot of time had to be wasted figuring Buffalo out. Eller forechecked well and made the best of it. Meanwhile, Cole and Desharnais were useless. Therrien isn't going to ignore these situations forever. He'll promote Eller and do something about Desharnais, who's been awful this year so far. If not, we're screwed.

I suppose I'm not the average HF Habs fan (I rarely if ever post on the HF Habs section). I wanted the organization to trade Desharnais in the offseason and make Eller the default 2/3C with higher quality wingers. Desharnais' offensive production last season was IMO a fluke, and Eller has much higher potential and a more complete game. Ever since we traded for him, I've been excited. He's totally underrated around the NHL and particularly with certain segments of Habs fans. Based on the moves and attitudes of the organization following the shake ups after last year's debacle I really don't think he's likely to be traded in the near future. Which makes me happy, because I can see him turning into a much more noteworthy offensive threat with more consistent linemates and ice time.
Insight is always welcome

Is it in your opinion realistic to hope that Montreal will be moving Desharnais before the trade deadline or the next off-season when he's a RFA?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
I was watching the first period. To me, Eller was one of the best players. Very secure with the puck and made a couple of great takeaways.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:17 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Insight is always welcome

Is it in your opinion realistic to hope that Montreal will be moving Desharnais before the trade deadline or the next off-season when he's a RFA?
I don't even want to try to predict this trade deadline in such a weird season. Desharnais has value (not as much as before the season started, unfortunately), and I think a deal with a western conference playoff team to secure stronger depth in D might happen. But who knows, it's a silly year. He's due for a large pay raise, though, and with the cap going down Montreal is going to have to make a choice about it sooner rather than later. Bergevin has shown some backbone and willingness to make bold and potentially unpopular decisions despite being a rookie GM, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the right decisions will be made.

Last edited by matCH penalty: 02-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:

Your'e not it's always nice to get an outside view

I have to clear up, that the non bolded part were predictions, and the bolded part was the actual outcome

Thanks for your assesment though, would you think MT will eventually have to reward Eller?

Old
02-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Bank

Quote:
I don't even want to try to predict this trade deadline in such a weird season. Desharnais has value (not as much as before the season started, unfortunately), and I think a deal with a western conference playoff team to secure stronger depth in D might happen. But who knows, it's a silly year. He's due for a large pay raise, though, and with the cap going down Montreal is going to have to make a choice about it sooner rather than later. Bergevin has shown some backbone and willingness to make bold and potentially unpopular decisions despite being a rookie GM, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the right decisions will be made.
So to put things on an edge: Either Desharnais or Eller will need to move over for the other to take his spot. And you hope/think it'll be Desharnais due to Eller being more able to serve as a third line center. Right?

Are they giving DD more EV TOI to raise his trade value or is it just poor talent assessment you think?

Old
02-08-2013, 06:29 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
So to put things on an edge: Either Desharnais or Eller will need to move over for the other to take his spot. And you hope/think it'll be Desharnais due to Eller being more able to serve as a third line center. Right?
Precisely. I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement to say that Eller is a more defensively reliable, and physical player. He also generates better puck possession. The big offensive difference is last year's stats. Desharnais played most of last season with two players having career years, Eller didn't. I always doubted Desharnais' ability to repeat that performance. He will regress to an extent, and with Galchenyuk he feels much more moveable to me. Plus, players of Eller's caliber are harder to find and develop. Small skilled forwards are not something we're short on. Bigger, smarter 2-way players who are good at face offs don't come around as often. It's not like we're in a win now mode, either. This is a transition year, and a lot of prospects are going to need to be given chances next season. Moving guys like Desharnais, Weber, White, and buying out/releasing Kaberle and Armstrong just seems to make more sense than giving up on a guy who's a responsible presence and shows good offensive flashes when he's on the right line.

Quote:
Are they giving DD more EV TOI to raise his trade value or is it just poor talent assessment you think?
I think a lot of it is based on last year's performance and a lack of preseason games. Everyone tried to hit the ground running, and they did what worked last year. A lot of it isn't working this year. The only reason we even slightly in it now is because of a hot power play and excellent offence from the D. The struggles of Desharnais and Cole have made everyone else's job that much harder. It's the ideal time to shake things up.

Quote:
Thanks for your assesment though, would you think MT will eventually have to reward Eller?
I don't see how Therrien can't, unless he's nuts. Eller had a great game against Boston, and he's produced this year in the top 6. When we win, we're playing a style more fit to a centre like Eller as opposed to Desharnais. That's how I see it.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Bank

Quote:
Precisely. I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement to say that Eller is a more defensively reliable, and physical player.
I'd say it would be controversial to say the opposite

Thanks a lot for the input. Feel kinda confirmed in my believe that the numbers of top 9-centers in Montreal has to go down. Although you've made me more comfortable that Eller might not be on the loosing end of that The part about him being a more able third line center is definitely true IMO. Odds at 50/50? 60/40 in Ellers favor?

So mission Eller vs. Desharnais is on! Let the best Dane win...

Old
02-08-2013, 07:32 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
I'd say it would be controversial to say the opposite

Thanks a lot for the input. Feel kinda confirmed in my believe that the numbers of top 9-centers in Montreal has to go down. Although you've made me more comfortable that Eller might not be on the loosing end of that The part about him being a more able third line center is definitely true IMO. Odds at 50/50? 60/40 in Ellers favor?

So mission Eller vs. Desharnais is on! Let the best Dane win...
I'll second that.. Cheers mate, real cool of ya to come by with your input Feel free to do so again

I think it has been clear for some time now, that Montreal has to "much" depth a C.

Makes me wonder why Montreal drafted Gally and not a sound D prospect?

One last question for matCH penalty:

There has been allot of discussion about Eller moving to the wing, in the game where he posted 3 points, he did play wing didn't he?

Do you think Eller looks lost at wing? Is it possible he could transition to the wing and make himself even more indispensable? I mean having a defensively responsible, offensively sound 3rd C or 1st,2nd, or 3rd Wing is having a very versataile player.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Odds at 50/50? 60/40 in Ellers favor?
60/40 in favour, I'd think. Could be considerably more if Desharnais wants what Bergevin considers to be an unreasonable sum, and there's a shortage of skilled fast centres at the trade deadline. The hockey media is silly, and NHL GMs like to hand out stupid contracts based on shaky past performance (Hello, Jason Garrison and Scott Gomez!), so I could see a situation where Desharnais is a valuable trading piece.

Quote:
I'll second that.. Cheers mate, real cool of ya to come by with your input Feel free to do so again

I think it has been clear for some time now, that Montreal has to "much" depth a C.

Makes me wonder why Montreal drafted Gally and not a sound D prospect?
I'll definitely be back. I didn't know this thread was around until today. Eller's my favourite player on the team, so it's nice to see other people care . I'm really hoping Denmark makes it to Sochi so I can complete my Montreal Olympics jersey collection: Czech Team Plekanec, Team Canada Price, USA Pacioretty, Russia Markov, and Denmark Eller.

As for why Galchenyuk... the kid's just dynamic. Skating needs some work, and he could stand to put on muscle. But he reads plays so well, he doesn't make too many mistakes (at 18!), he's great at face offs, he works well with our PMD. Our player development/draft guy Trevor Timmins saw something in him before the draft and it's turned out right so far. He makes everyone around him better.

Quote:
There has been allot of discussion about Eller moving to the wing, in the game where he posted 3 points, he did play wing didn't he?

Do you think Eller looks lost at wing? Is it possible he could transition to the wing and make himself even more indispensable? I mean having a defensively responsible, offensively sound 3rd C or 1st,2nd, or 3rd Wing is having a very versataile player.
I believe he alternated wing and centre in the 3 point game. The last one was on the Power Play with a huge lead, so Therrien was trying combos out.

Watching him play in Montreal, it's kind of hard to say. If you look at some games from last season when he was playing with Andrei Kostitsyn (particularly in the last half of the season), it was pretty evenly split. He'd often distribute the puck and move to the net or call for it and take shots, but he'd also let the winger carry the puck in and take passes/one-timers. He's good at face offs, though. But there's no reason he couldn't be a winger for line with Galchenyuk for example, and split duty at centre or to protect from bad draws in the defensive zone.

Kostitsyn's gone, but we've got Rene Bourque, who is playing a pretty good version of his game this year. I could see a Bourque-Galchenyuk-Eller line happening in the near future. There's a lot of speed, quality puck control, and passing there. Too bad chemistry can't be so easily predicted.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Wow I wasn't that far off with my anti-jinx predictions.. Gues it wasnt an Anti-jinx DAMMIT!

Islanders will loose bigtime - No Fransie points and a -2 rating - Well not a bigtime loss, but a clear loss, no points for Fransie, and a -2 rating.

Ottawa plays a great game - Regin will once again be invisible - Regin was according to the Sens board good, so that one was wrong, although he was -1

Vancouver will win in OT - One Hansen assist - Well we did win, and hansen did get a point, not an assist but a goal.

Chicago will FLAME Phoenix - Boedker plays an OK game, but no points and a -1 rating. - Well Chicago DID flame Phoenix, Boedker did get a -1 rating but also posted an Assist. Don't know how his overall game was, so again if someone could enlighten me? Also very little TOI for Boeds against the Hawks.

Guess my antijinxing isn't working....
Guess your anti-jinx only works on Vancouver (clear win).....but I was proven over optimistic where you were much closer. Only 2 points and a lot of losses for the danish teams, but at least no one seemed to play badly (though Frans with -2 statistics again is unlike him). Jannik Hansen with 2 goals in a row now (tonights goal was really great!)....so that is looking good and Bødker keep producing, though it's mainly assists!

Last edited by Justinov: 02-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I'll definitely be back. I didn't know this thread was around until today. Eller's my favourite player on the team, so it's nice to see other people care . I'm really hoping Denmark makes it to Sochi so I can complete my Montreal Olympics jersey collection: Czech Team Plekanec, Team Canada Price, USA Pacioretty, Russia Markov, and Denmark Eller.

Watching him play in Montreal, it's kind of hard to say. If you look at some games from last season when he was playing with Andrei Kostitsyn (particularly in the last half of the season), it was pretty evenly split. He'd often distribute the puck and move to the net or call for it and take shots, but he'd also let the winger carry the puck in and take passes/one-timers. He's good at face offs, though. But there's no reason he couldn't be a winger for line with Galchenyuk for example, and split duty at centre or to protect from bad draws in the defensive zone.

Kostitsyn's gone, but we've got Rene Bourque, who is playing a pretty good version of his game this year. I could see a Bourque-Galchenyuk-Eller line happening in the near future. There's a lot of speed, quality puck control, and passing there. Too bad chemistry can't be so easily predicted.
Then a warm welcome to our danish NHL thread
About Eller is so unfortunate that AK went away. Chemistry is something elusive and parts of Eller's problems is he didn't play with anyone else than AK that complemented his skill-set. I hope they maybe keep Eller as a 3'rd line center (where he is solid) and slowly start to introduce him to different wing setups until he finds one where he clicks. Your line sounds interesting by the way..but you never know if it will work until tried. Maybe Galchenyuk and Eller could rotate their game as Eller did with AK - perhaps it's that particular playing style he is missing?

Last edited by Justinov: 02-08-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsEller View Post
Also i forgot to write that the new Habs gm Marc Bergevin was contacted by several teams wanting to talk about the possibility of acquiring Eller. Bergevin said that he was not interested in trading Eller until he knew exactly what he "had" in Eller. So dont expect him to be dealt unless some team decides to overpay
Could be that these offers got him off the bench? Maybe a factor that Bergevin doesn't want to let Eller go to cheap?
But how will he find out what he has in Eller if he is shuffled all the time or benched?
If he wanted to trade him he could have made him stay first line where he started producing and then trade him......I can't really see the point of what is going on now - unless he is trying him around the find him a vacant spot around the core players he wants to build the team around.
Would be very interested to know which teams wanted Eller - but that is often very confidential in pro sport. But apparently nobody was willing to overpay.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
LarsEller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Could be that these offers got him off the bench? Maybe a factor that Bergevin doesn't want to let Eller go to cheap?
But how will he find out what he has in Eller if he is shuffled all the time or benched?
If he wanted to trade him he could have made him stay first line where he started producing and then trade him......I can't really see the point of what is going on now - unless he is trying him around the find him a vacant spot around the core players he wants to build the team around.
Would be very interested to know which teams wanted Eller - but that is often very confidential in pro sport. But apparently nobody was willing to overpay.
I agree that its no good for eller to play 4th line in the long run. But you have to remember he is also playing on the Pk, and is starting to get some pp time aswell. So its not like hes playing 5 min a game. But anyways if he continues to play the way he is, its only a matter of time before he wins Therrien over IMO.

if only the Habs would try and move David desharnais to the wings

Old
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
60/40 in favour, I'd think. Could be considerably more if Desharnais wants what Bergevin considers to be an unreasonable sum, and there's a shortage of skilled fast centres at the trade deadline. The hockey media is silly, and NHL GMs like to hand out stupid contracts based on shaky past performance (Hello, Jason Garrison and Scott Gomez!), so I could see a situation where Desharnais is a valuable trading piece.

As for why Galchenyuk... the kid's just dynamic. Skating needs some work, and he could stand to put on muscle. But he reads plays so well, he doesn't make too many mistakes (at 18!), he's great at face offs, he works well with our PMD. Our player development/draft guy Trevor Timmins saw something in him before the draft and it's turned out right so far. He makes everyone around him better.

I believe he alternated wing and centre in the 3 point game. The last one was on the Power Play with a huge lead, so Therrien was trying combos out.

Haha well I am really nervous about tonights game, Denmark have to win it So im hoping you get your danish OG jersey

There is no doubting Gally's potential and what he already brings, that's some great scouting. I was just curious as it seems Montreal are lacking a big strong Defensive D.

Makes sense if Eller can continue to alternate.

It's great to get some inside opinions on Eller and not just this madhouse

Id really like to see Eller on the baby line, aswell. Gally - Gally - Eller would be a very dynamic line and he could be there to calm down the play and be the responsible player.

Anywho, great to hear what a habber has to say

Old
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341

Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Despite the talk in Vancouver it shows that Jannik Hansen indeed has hands!

Old
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
AndyPipkin

^ He does have hands, they just would like to see more of it.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ He does have hands, they just would like to see more of it.
Then serve him more flying pucks....you know Denmark is handball country!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Then serve him more flying pucks....you know Denmark is handball country!

That was a pretty slick pass. He's playing with Schredder so he should get plenty of chances.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Justinov

So for tonight it's two danes in action:
Peter Regin for Ottawa against Winnipeg - I predict an Ottawa win.
Mikkel Bødker for Phoenix against San Jose - San Jose wins, but maybe a Bødker point?!

Larsen didn't play for Dallas last night in their 3-1 win over Anaheim...but it seems like Dalles is getting better lately.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
dklap3

^^ Frans is playing too, Isles are playing Sabres tonight.

EDIT: Oh maybe you were strictly talking about Danish "tonight" = evening.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklap3 View Post
^^ Frans is playing too, Isles are playing Sabres tonight.
A lot is danes are playing - I forget to move the curser on the NHL site to the later games [I was meaning to include all NA saturday games]:

so i continue:
Montreal vs Toronto - Montreal OT win? (dont know where Eller will play).
NYI vs Buffalo - NYI hopefully wins that with a Frans assist.
Vancouver vs Calgary - Vancouver wins and Jannik Hansen scores again!

Old
02-09-2013, 08:09 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
A lot is danes are playing - I forget to move the curser on the NHL site to the later games [I was meaning to include all NA saturday games]:

so i continue:
Montreal vs Toronto - Montreal OT win? (dont know where Eller will play).
NYI vs Buffalo - NYI hopefully wins that with a Frans assist.
Vancouver vs Calgary - Vancouver wins and Jannik Hansen scores again!
I predicted the horrible NHL night with my anti jinx, and I predicted that Denmark wouldn't qualify for the OG..

Im gonna stop predicting..

Closed Thread