HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 04:29 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Can we just forget about Kessel and Ovechkin? Niether player will be avaliable for a price that makes sense for us.
Yep. Put the spotlight on Corey Perry instead. Not that it means much, but he's another NHLer that considers Vancouver his favorite road city: "Vancouver. The atmosphere around there is pretty cool."
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=44324

Who knows, maybe Ryan Getzlaf would follow him here. He and his SoCal wife love it in BC as well, annually spending there summers at their Okanagan lakehouse.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/player.htm...70612&view=bio

02-09-2013, 04:39 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I think Ovechkin goes to Los Angeles. Just sayin'.

I am thinking that NYI traded for Thomas as an asset to be moved , possibly at the deadline. They are building and do not need a geriatric goalie. This will affect the goalie market this season, perhaps enough to impact Luongo suitors. A Thomas contract is much more portable than Lu's is.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:43 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think Ovechkin goes to Los Angeles. Just sayin'.

I am thinking that NYI traded for Thomas as an asset to be moved , possibly at the deadline. They are building and do not need a geriatric goalie. This will affect the goalie market this season, perhaps enough to impact Luongo suitors. A Thomas contract is much more portable than Lu's is.
IMO, NYI acquired Thomas in order to remain above the floor if they decide to trade their pending UFAs, Streit and/or Visnovsky (among others) at the trade deadline.

I don't think Ovy gets traded, at least not for several years.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:36 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Lol if Ducks traded Perry to us and Getzlaf decides to halt contract talks and sign with us because of the trade...

Not going to happen but one can wish

Well if it does happen I guess the two Canadian teams, Vancouver and Edmonton will forever be known as the cities that screwed our franchise for Ducks fans

Old
02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Is Kessel really going to put the canucks over the top? Kessel is not a complete player...sure he may score 30 goals but he's not going to be helping much in any other area.
That's the same stuff people were saying when I wanted to do Schneider for Jeff Carter last year.

When a guy can score a goal every other game or produce a point per game, that completely changes things.

Also Kessel isn't a rental... Given the choice I would have preferred Carter last year but would be happy with either. Our team can't seem to get the goals they need in the playoffs.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
1. If you feel Elliotte Friedman is credible (I do), Kessel is pretty much the opposite - he is a person who is "unbothered" by the fishbowl dynamic because he doesn't read the paper or listen to the radio, he just goes out and does his thing. Friedman compared him to the Sedins in this respect and said that when they were approaching UFA not just Toronto but Montreal as well were ready to commit huge amounts of money to attract them because they felt they wouldn't wilt under the pressure.

2. If you don't accept that line of reasoning, how the heck does Phil Kessel (who would instantly become one of the team's top scorers, highest paid players, etc) somehow become exempt from belonging to "our media focused core" - what does that even mean? He might not be seen as the team's leader or figurehead but he would certainly come with high expectations and be given a major role in line with those expectations.

Personally I have no idea how an attempt to re-sign Kessel would go (in this completely bonkers scenario where we've traded for him). I would be he'd test the market, if he's a hot commodity because he functions well under pressure then he'd probably be offered more to play elsewhere, if he wants to take less to stay out of the limelight then I have no idea why anyone would think Vancouver would be the team fitting that description.

Nicely put.

Kessel to VAN because he wants to take less to stay _OUT_ of the limelight? Priceless.

I felt you put it best with the bold statement above.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

What I think is lost is the fact that if you acquire a "goal scorer", depending on the player it doesn't reflect necessarily in scoring that puts us over the top in the playoffs.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
What I think is lost is the fact that if you acquire a "goal scorer", depending on the player it doesn't reflect necessarily in scoring that puts us over the top in the playoffs.
What gets us over the top is staying healthy or a little bit of luck - which all teams that do win the Cup have. This isn't to say, making improvements to the roster don't have an influence on those requirements.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Yep. Put the spotlight on Corey Perry instead. Not that it means much, but he's another NHLer that considers Vancouver his favorite road city: "Vancouver. The atmosphere around there is pretty cool."

Who knows, maybe Ryan Getzlaf would follow him here. He and his SoCal wife love it in BC as well, annually spending there summers at their Okanagan lakehouse.
I didn't know that. Perry should be our number one target in the offseason. We'll have the cap space to give him a competitive offer. I say stick him with the Sedins, he'd be perfect for them. Then go Burrows Kesler Kassian/Jensen

Old
02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

A friend was standing behind a guy with a huge Cul de Sac and a smokin hot girl wth him at Canadian Tire in Kelowna, Guy turned around and it was Getzlaf, I would have loved to see the look on my buddies face.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
In the Nucks v Wild thread, we were discussing Heatley being bought out, Vadim pointed out that he'd be a good fit on the PP with the Sedins. What do you guys think? On a cheap contract and we know how much Gillis loves his reclamation projects.
i also pointed out that dany heatley is a lazy piece of garbage i don't want anywhere near this team because he won't play defense, doesn't use his size at all, is slow as molasses, and would never leave the bench because AV would be strangling him from behind all game.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:32 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
But # would he wear?

Clearly Tanev won't be giving up his #8 anytime soon.

Whats 8 backwards?
∞... for infinite PP goals?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Epimetheus

Quote:
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Dana Tyrell (TBL) on waivers today.
Is there a chance we claim this guy?

Old
02-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Is there a chance we claim this guy?
Nope, no room for him (especially with Kesler returning in the next week or two).

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Epimetheus

I thought he was on a two-way contract,in this case all's clear.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
I thought he was on a two-way contract,in this case all's clear.
If we claim him then we have to keep him in the NHL for at least a month until we can waive him ourselves (at which point he could get claimed by someone else).

Old
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Corey Perry is really good friends with Luongo, too.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
vadim sharifijanov

who's dana tyrell?

Old
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Trouble with Perry and Getzlaf is some team will throw 7.5m at them. Even fitting one would be hard. I can see a few teams with enough space to give it a try. Even though Getzlaf won't leave Anaheim I'd love to add him more than Perry if I had to choose 1.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Trouble with Perry and Getzlaf is some team will throw 7.5m at them. Even fitting one would be hard. I can see a few teams with enough space to give it a try. Even though Getzlaf won't leave Anaheim I'd love to add him more than Perry if I had to choose 1.
If Getz and Perry were UFA's next offseason it would work way better with the Sedin's UFA, but I still feel like the Sedins will re-up on a 2-3 year deal for about 4M each to ease the transition period.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
If Getz and Perry were UFA's next offseason it would work way better with the Sedin's UFA, but I still feel like the Sedins will re-up on a 2-3 year deal for about 4M each to ease the transition period.
The twins would have to fall pretty hard in the next couple seasons to sign a deal like that. It's not going to happen imo.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
The twins would have to fall pretty hard in the next couple seasons to sign a deal like that. It's not going to happen imo.
Then we should move on from them. Paying over $12M/year for two players who aren't producing at an elite level is a recipe for disaster and will be the beginning of this team turning into what the Calgary Flames are.

The Sedins are at just under 70% offensive zone starts this season, yet their ES production are below what a player like Cody Eakin has put up in Dallas. Cut their O-zone starts down to where most other first liners are and their production likely drops even more.

02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Please guys... Not the "he loves Vancouver" stuff again.... (Perry)

Old
02-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Then we should move on from them. Paying over $12M/year for two players who aren't producing at an elite level is a recipe for disaster and will be the beginning of this team turning into what the Calgary Flames are.

The Sedins are at just under 70% offensive zone starts this season, yet their ES production are below what a player like Cody Eakin has put up in Dallas. Cut their O-zone starts down to where most other first liners are and their production likely drops even more.
The Flames were never any good in the first place and never had the good, young players we have right now. You want this team to be bad or to turn bad but it just isn't going to happen.

Their production didn't increase when they went to those zone starts, I don't know why you assume it would cause a decline.

Every time you have doubted the twins, they've proven you wrong. The twins know they have to make their name in the playoffs now. You continually marginalize the regular season and now you want to get rid of them after 8 regular season games?

Old
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Please guys... Not the "he loves Vancouver" stuff again.... (Perry)
Everyone loves Vancouver.
Gaborik loves it here so much that he even bought a house in West Van. True story.

Closed Thread