HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

Should the NBA rotate draft locations?

View Poll Results: Would you want the draft to be held at different locations each year?
Yes 16 84.21%
No 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Should the NBA rotate draft locations?

The NHL has rotated draft locations every year and held it into a different arena for two days.

However, in an NBA context, it would be held for just one day in the home arena of an NBA team with a full house in attendance. Would you rather want the draft always be hosted in the Madison Square Garden (with the notable exception of 2011 where MSG was being renovated and the draft moved at Prudential Center) or you want teams other than the Knicks to be able to host it?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Mike Emrick

Draft should be at MSG every year or Radio City, where ever they do it

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Draft should be at MSG every year or Radio City, where ever they do it
It is held at MSG for the NBA. Radio City is best known for NFL drafts. Is there a reason as to why the NBA decides to always have the draft at MSG, barring renovations at MSG (or a disaster striking MSG)? Every arena used for NBA games can hold the entire front office of all 30 teams on a surface that has the size of a basketball court. I'm sure Lakers fans would want the Staples Center to hold the draft someday. Or Bulls fans with the United Center. Or even Magic fans in the Amway Center.

Before the NHL rotated draft locations Montreal always had the drafts, the Queen Elizabeth Hotel at first, and later the Montreal Forum.

Old
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I think so. Why wouldn't you?

12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Brodeur

I don't suppose there's a reason against it other than it being convenient for David Stern and the NBA operations people to be close to their home base. I didn't see the 2011 Draft but was Prudential Center filled to capacity? Usually it's held in the Theater at MSG which has a capacity of 5,600.

The other factor is teams trade draft picks like candy in the NBA. It's tough to be the draft host if you somehow don't end up having a first round pick. Back in 1996, the Blues were set to host the Draft. Beforehand, Mike Keenan had a trade in place to acquire Jason Allison for a first round pick but ownership vetoed the deal because they wanted to have a pick as hosts.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2012.htm

Just taking a look at 2012, ten first rounders already have some conditions attached to them. Seems like a safe bet that a few more get dealt before the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio
Every arena used for NBA games can hold the entire front office of all 30 teams on a surface that has the size of a basketball court. I'm sure Lakers fans would want the Staples Center to hold the draft someday. Or Bulls fans with the United Center. Or even Magic fans in the Amway Center.
The NHL is the fun draft since each team sends its GM and 10+ other representatives to be there. Every other sport, teams still phone in their picks and David Stern (and the deputy commish) make the actual announcements. Might seem a trivial matter to convince each NBA team to send their front offices, but it's not necessarily a given that teams will want to fly out for the weekend.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Mike Emrick

Now that I think of it, rotating draft locations are something that the NHL does, but not the NBA or the NFL. For those two leagues, "rotating" is switching between NY-area bases. The NHL is the only league that rotates draft locations between arenas.

I guess they could...but the draft is usually held in the NY area, so

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't suppose there's a reason against it other than it being convenient for David Stern and the NBA operations people to be close to their home base. I didn't see the 2011 Draft but was Prudential Center filled to capacity? Usually it's held in the Theater at MSG which has a capacity of 5,600.

The other factor is teams trade draft picks like candy in the NBA. It's tough to be the draft host if you somehow don't end up having a first round pick. Back in 1996, the Blues were set to host the Draft. Beforehand, Mike Keenan had a trade in place to acquire Jason Allison for a first round pick but ownership vetoed the deal because they wanted to have a pick as hosts.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2012.htm

Just taking a look at 2012, ten first rounders already have some conditions attached to them. Seems like a safe bet that a few more get dealt before the deadline.

The NHL is the fun draft since each team sends its GM and 10+ other representatives to be there. Every other sport, teams still phone in their picks and David Stern (and the deputy commish) make the actual announcements. Might seem a trivial matter to convince each NBA team to send their front offices, but it's not necessarily a given that teams will want to fly out for the weekend.
How did the NHL manage that back in the 1980s?

Surely fans of other teams would like to host the draft, only that year they'd rather somehow find a way to get a first-rounder, 30th overall traded to the host team on draft day though it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Now that I think of it, rotating draft locations are something that the NHL does, but not the NBA or the NFL. For those two leagues, "rotating" is switching between NY-area bases. The NHL is the only league that rotates draft locations between arenas.

I guess they could...but the draft is usually held in the NY area, so
To my knowledge, MLS also has rotating draft locations. Don't know whether MLS does like the NHL (i.e. sending in the GM, the head scout and a couple of assistants, perhaps the head coach as well) or just phone in the picks.

I guess the MLB draft doesn't matter as much to its sport as the other four drafts so MLB would likely not amount to much of anything with rotating drafts.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

As long as the lottry is rigged, the location doesn't matter

OMG the Cavs got the 1st pick what a coincidence !

And don't get me started on Dave DB faking his joy when the NYK fot the 1st pick in the 80's

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Brodeur

Also on a side note, the lockout postponed the NBA Draft by a week this year which might allow me to do a super nerdy week long trip: Vegas for the NHL Awards, Pittsburgh for the NHL Draft, and New York for the NBA Draft.

No real downside in rotating the drafts, but I just wonder how much of a demand there would be in some of the cities. Staples Center would be a decent location since you have two NBA teams operating there along (and a lot of transplant fans) with the easy Hollywood tie ins.

I've missed the last couple of NBA Drafts, but in the past it wasn't uncommon for a draftee (usually a foreign player) to not be present. With the NHL Draft, we at least get some instant gratification of the first rounder putting on the jersey and smiling for the camera. But I suppose they could start requiring that the top ~45 guys show up.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
As long as the lottry is rigged, the location doesn't matter

OMG the Cavs got the 1st pick what a coincidence !

And don't get me started on Dave DB faking his joy when the NYK fot the 1st pick in the 80's
And why do the NBA hold on to Cleveland so much?

Old
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't suppose there's a reason against it other than it being convenient for David Stern and the NBA operations people to be close to their home base.
The guys on the football boards told us that getting the draftees in New York City is good for the media but, then again, like the NFL, with the powers-that-be for each team staying at their home base, the local media stays home. So there's not much of a media base to please other than ESPN.

I don't think ESPN would have much of a problem going to any of the 29 arenas for a draft. Then again, are there locations where players wouldn't want to be in come draft day?

Old
07-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Brodeur

A few weeks late.....but here are a handful of thoughts after I went to the NBA Draft this year:

1) Compared to the NHL Draft, the atmosphere was kinda dead. They blocked off half of the arena and didn't exactly sell out the remaining half.

Probably didn't help that the Knicks/Nets didn't have first rounders.

2) The thing I love is that all of the GMs/scouts/assorted executives are physically at the NHL Draft. Especially going on Day 2, you can get a front row seat and literally hear some of the trade discussions.

At the NBA Draft, the floor is reserved for a handful of prospects/families and media types. The only person of note who was present was Ron Harper (sat in front of me) who brought his sons to watch.

It's also a nice touch to see the teams make the announcement rather than the commish. Albeit, it was fun to boo David Stern multiple times.

3) I didn't get to attend the NHL Draft in Pittsburgh this year, but I assume that the TSN broadcast was not shown at the arena. The one criticism I had of the NHL Draft after attending in 2010/11 was that there's a lot of down time on Day 1 in between picks.

The ESPN broadcast audio was amplified within the arena. So we got to heckle Jeff Van Gundy each time he got on the mic.

4) NBA only had a ~dozen prospects there live. After the first ten picks, there wasn't a ton of fanfare.

-------------------

I kinda have my doubts about whether a rotating NBA Draft would work without changes. The NHL does a little bit better of a job with the experience of attending. Aside from it being free, the Cup is usually on display, and there'll be autograph sessions with current/past players of the local teams and/or players local to the area (ie, David Backes last year at the Minnesota draft).

Old
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Reality Check

Keep it in New York because Stern is a boss and won't be able to troll as hard as he could in New York

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Yeah, I think that they and the NFL should rotate draft locations. Just having it exclusively in NY doesn't make much sense to me.

Plus, it's annoying to listen to the same old boos/cheers from NY fans every single year in both drafts like clockwork over the same things.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yeah, I think that they and the NFL should rotate draft locations. Just having it exclusively in NY doesn't make much sense to me.

Plus, it's annoying to listen to the same old boos/cheers from NY fans every single year in both drafts like clockwork over the same things.
Acknowledged, the NHL draft is probably the most fun of the four drafts (even the NFL is a little lacking with respect to draft-day experience, and I don't want to talk about MLB; it's so horrible I don't think MLB doing it would amount to much)

But we all know that the frills of the NHL draft aren't free; is the extra cost of what makes the NHL draft enjoyable worth it to the NBA's eyes? Or the NFL's eyes? I don't think it would affect TV ratings that much, though.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The other thing is the NBA draft is pretty much irrelevant. It's by far the least important among pretty much any professional sport. It's essentially about the first pick, and it's not always even good, or college stars who turned pro seeing where they end up.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Also trades at NBA draft are honestly the worst

Guy gets selected then traded 4 picks later for "Lotto protected" this and that

Honestly just awful

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The other thing is the NBA draft is pretty much irrelevant. It's by far the least important among pretty much any professional sport. It's essentially about the first pick, and it's not always even good, or college stars who turned pro seeing where they end up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Also trades at NBA draft are honestly the worst

Guy gets selected then traded 4 picks later for "Lotto protected" this and that

Honestly just awful
How much better is the NHL draft compared to the NBA draft, other than for the trades?

Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reality check View Post
keep it in new york because stern is a boss and won't be able to rig the draft as he could in new york
fify.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
I always thought the MLB draft was even less relevant...

Old
05-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Now that the NFL seems favorable to the idea of moving the draft out of New York, perhaps there are those NBA fans who would love their team to host it (the draft location should be drawn as a lottery among playoff teams with the worse records getting better chances of being awarded the draft, as long as they still have a first-rounder)...

Old
05-31-2014, 09:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I always thought the MLB draft was even less relevant...
MLB is less interesting to watch live, but the NBA draft is the worst because you can basically turn it off after the 4th or 5th pick, and never think of it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
MLB is less interesting to watch live, but the NBA draft is the worst because you can basically turn it off after the 4th or 5th pick, and never think of it.
Perhaps the relevance of each pick decreases sharply past a certain point in the NBA but the MLB draft was even less relevant because there was 1) too many rounds, 2) teams tend to draft, especially in the early rounds, based on the salary they could sign draftees to, 3) although there is more talent parity in the higher rounds, even less draftees will make any impact at all vs. even the NHL draft.

Old
06-01-2014, 04:40 AM
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Keep it in New York because Stern is a boss and won't be able to troll as hard as he could in New York
He got competition by the form of a rapper. Said rapper's stage name is Fred the Godson from The Bronx and a frustrated Knicks fan.

He was so frustrated, to the point he busted out these lines in 2010:

"I leave chicks like Ewing, knees hurt with no ring".

And speaking of trolling, I encountered another user that roleplayed then-Commissioner David Stern on Bleacher Report, where the said user accused me of being "a hater; you must be a Laker fan."

Also, David Stern himself grew up a Knicks fan (according to NY Daily News), to the point he even intervened on James Dolan's stupidity.

http://www.businessinsider.com/david...-thomas-2011-2

Yeah, back on topic about rotating the location of the NBA Draft, sure, once the Knicks win the NBA Title. I will not find it hard to believe if the NBA is keeping the draft in NY, because of business-related justified fears of losing NYC as its largest audience. Just imagine STAPLES Center, being the first-EVER non-NYC arena to host the NBA Draft. ...after the Knicks win its 3rd-EVER NBA Title.

ADifferentTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
If anything I think it's the most important. None of the other big four sports can see a franchise turn around as quickly through one player as in the NBA because one player has more impact on team success in the NBA than in any other sport.

Last year was a bad example because it was a dud draft and the Cavs picked probably the worst first overall pick of all time,

The impact from the draft can have much more immediate consequences than any of the other big four sports.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote