HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson Appreciation Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:04 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 500
While I don't believe he is the top player in the league as Dave Lewis suggested, he is without a doubt a top five player.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I hate to be the one to say this, but, he still needs time. Not because the skill level isn't there, but, because claims like that need the benefit of time to substantiate them.

I think people have articulated well in this thread why his play this year is so special. He's redefining the position and playing such a unique style.

It's working incredibly well regardless of what people throw at it. Ideally, you need to see this current incarnation in some high stake games, like the playoffs (as he's better today than he was just 8 months ago.

It will be interesting to watch how Karlsson plays against our division over the course of the season. We play each team 7 times in a short season. There's plenty of time for players and coaches to adapt and build game plans. The test is, does Karlsson get better against these teams, or do they find a way to shut him down.

I'm pretty confident that Karlsson will continue to play at a level that puts his name in the conversation, and as Sens fans, we get to see how he'll push the boundaries even further on what we expect from the position.
The amazing thing is EACH month of his career he has clearly improved in pretty much every aspect of the game. He is better this year then last year when he was unbelievable. He just got interviewed on The Team this week and he is not happy with his game now!!!! Karlsson is a Crosby, Kobe, Jordan, Gretzky like player. Not that he is that good but he could be.... But he is that driven and committed, he wants to be the best and never stops finding ways to improve his game. He is sure of himself and despite all of that he does not seem selfish, or arrogant or not part of the team.

It is unbelievable to have Karlsson here. Realistically we have a couple of more seasons of him improving physically. He will always get better at the thinking part of the game. I think he is possibly the best player in the world now... Or 3rd to Crosby and Malkin, and his trajectory of improvement seems to not have levelled off either. It is remarkable.

I am biased, but I said this to my brother and my friends in his second year... Karlsson is going to be the best player in the world... And in not that long. Watching him live in SBP is such a gift and you can really see his dominance of the entire ice surface far more than on TV.

The biggest strength he has is his attitude. The only thing that can stop him from being among the best defencemen in history is injury.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
The amazing thing is EACH month of his career he has clearly improved in pretty much every aspect of the game. He is better this year then last year when he was unbelievable. He just got interviewed on The Team this week and he is not happy with his game now!!!! Karlsson is a Crosby, Kobe, Jordan, Gretzky like player. Not that he is that good but he could be.... But he is that driven and committed, he wants to be the best and never stops finding ways to improve his game. He is sure of himself and despite all of that he does not seem selfish, or arrogant or not part of the team.

It is unbelievable to have Karlsson here. Realistically we have a couple of more seasons of him improving physically. He will always get better at the thinking part of the game. I think he is possibly the best player in the world now... Or 3rd to Crosby and Malkin, and his trajectory of improvement seems to not have levelled off either. It is remarkable.

I am biased, but I said this to my brother and my friends in his second year... Karlsson is going to be the best player in the world... And in not that long. Watching him live in SBP is such a gift and you can really see his dominance of the entire ice surface far more than on TV.

The biggest strength he has is his attitude. The only thing that can stop him from being among the best defencemen in history is injury.
I definitely agree with this.

And the thing I do love about Karlsson is his drive to ALWAYS be better.

He had that when he first started and went back down to Bingo. And he still has that now. Its incredible to just watch his growth as a player -- and to think he really thinks he can be better... and when Karlsson says that he likely will be.

I've always enjoyed Karlsson, but I've always been slightly reserved at his play. Especially just blabbing about it.

But its absolutely incredible to watch the Sens play -- and it always seems that no one even tries to target Karlsson. He is so slick and smooth out there, it looks like no one can touch him. Its really incredible. And not something seen often. Its almost like some games, he's completely untouchable. Its like he could do it all alone. And then he's got such excitement when he plays -- I love watching him on the bench after someone scores, or he makes a really cool play. He just is so excited!

That said, I still stay slightly apprehensive, I wouldn't say he is HANDS DOWN the best player out there. But he stays consistently like this -- and continues on his trajectory of improvement he's been on, he will be that player. And how exciting is that!!!

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I'll put it this way.. Seeing Karlsson play hockey makes me forget that my own team (caps) is absolutely pathetic. I dont care if he's the best player or not, he's so damn entertaining to watch and makes so many great plays every single game I kind of forget that my two own superstars in Bäckis and Ovy is highly underperforming and that rest of the team is so bad I just want to facepalm the entire game.

That my friend, is how great EK65 is right now.
This touched me.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I honestly knew that Karlsson would easily be the best defender in the world a couple years ago after watching him in the SEL, WJC and first year but I never would have thought he would reach best player in the league.

And I'm saying this is one of the guys to hype him the most before people thought he had top-pairing potential. Goes to show how amazing his progress has been, it's blown everyone's trajectories out of the water.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I'll put it this way.. Seeing Karlsson play hockey makes me forget that my own team (caps) is absolutely pathetic. I dont care if he's the best player or not, he's so damn entertaining to watch and makes so many great plays every single game I kind of forget that my two own superstars in Bäckis and Ovy is highly underperforming and that rest of the team is so bad I just want to facepalm the entire game.

That my friend, is how great EK65 is right now.
come cheer for the Sens.

We have cake. We also have a large number of Swedish players.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:38 AM
Savannah Skunk

I enjoy knowing we have a generational defensive talent on our team, I just pray Karlsson remains free of enduring injury from some thug.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:34 AM
CarknerCountry

Karlsson

Is it possible he could be the Sens next captain?

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:39 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Is it possible he could be the Sens next captain?
Yep. If Alfie retires, anytime Spezza is injured, Karlsson might very well be the captain.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
playasRus

Let's hope Washington. Has a fire sale and we get Nicolas backs from from them for picks

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

I feel truly lucky that we managed to draft him. He's the kind of player you would be so envious of if he played for another team, but he's on ours.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Sick Dangle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Yep. If Alfie retires, anytime Spezza is injured, Karlsson might very well be the captain.
If Alfie plays another season, that might be enough time for Karlsson to overtake Spezza on the captaincy depth chart.

Sick Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Dangle View Post
If Alfie plays another season, that might be enough time for Karlsson to overtake Spezza on the captaincy depth chart.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Lyndon Slewidge

Can someone present to me a strong case, as to why Erik Karlsson is in fact, the best player in the world right now?

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
cuz we say so

Old
02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
Can someone present to me a strong case, as to why Erik Karlsson is in fact, the best player in the world right now?
Watch the games. Do that and it's an easy conclusion to make.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:04 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Watch the games. Do that and it's an easy conclusion to make.
Just not today.

That doesn't count.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Hale The Villain

Horrific game from him tonight.

I don't think I've ever seen him play worse.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

A game like today shows just how important he is to our team. Even Gretzky at his peak had crappy games now and again.

metalfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Dangle View Post
I agree with this. Could be Silfverberg too.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I agree with this. Could be Silfverberg too.
I doubt that Silfverberg will become the captain. I dont see how Silvferberg will overtake Karlsson, Spezza or possibly Phillips(if hes still on the team) after Alfies retirement.

Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats View Post
I doubt that Silfverberg will become the captain. I dont see how Silvferberg will overtake Karlsson, Spezza or possibly Phillips(if hes still on the team) after Alfies retirement.
Best player doesn't always mean they get the captaincy you know...

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post

Old
02-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Whippet

Quote:
I never said that.

Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Not always, but most often. And when you have accolades and prominence like Karlsson does and is likely to continue to get, it just gets more likely. Being bread by Alfredsson doesn't exactly hurt his cause either.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the most likely.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote