Cap Space Moves...

Old
02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I would only deal real assets for a guy like O'Reilly or Carlson... These one and done players don't interest me for the prices you have to pay.

Bruins need a top 9 forward. You should be able to get one for a prospect (not top 5) and a 2nd. I'm not giving up #1's or a top 5 prospect for Iginla, Ryder, Morrow et all.
I agree. A guy like Iginla could cost even more than you suggested, maybe two top5 prospects and a 1st, or a 1st, 2nd and a top prospect. There will be lots of interest and almost all of the contenders can afford him.

There's also the issue of the cap bearing down on them for next year. Normally, I would say that Chiarelli wouldn't be inclined to restructure a winning team but with the cap situation looming it might force him to consider more extreme moves than he's used to making.

02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
If we could switch that to Knight or Koko I would do it.
I see spoons as our best prospects why are we throwing him under the bus for what could be only a rental

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I see spoons as our best prospects why are we throwing him under the bus for what could be only a rental
Spooner is our best prospect and he is one of the best rookies in the AHL this season. I remember when this board was crazy for Krejci, Kalus and Karsums and they were ‘untradeable’, now only one of those players is an NHL regular. The same thing applies here for Spooner, Knight and Koko; we would be really lucky to have two of these players become NHL regulars, but it’s far more likely only one of them will. Spooner has had the best development so far which makes me less likely to trade him, everyone else I am open too.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You won't find a bigger Spooner fan than me. He's been 'my guy' since the first day of his first development camp. A spot previously held by Marchand, and Krejci before him. I think Spooner can be in their class.

But acknowledging that he'll be the guy teams are interested in, isn't the same as throwing him inder the bus. IMHO.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:54 AM
samsdad

Bill - you are Fla GM....what do you want from us for Weiss? Can it be done for Knight-Bartkowski a pick? Krug? If we can stay away from Spooner or Koko I think he is our best choice....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Weiss

Pros: The #1 center in FLA could provide a big boost to our scoring depth. He's a good two-way player with speed, some strength and he's strong on face-offs. He doesn't have any more PP points than Iginla, but he plays more of a QB role, and being a LH shot might be a better fit with all our righties. He also has a history and chemistry with Nate Horton, so if the B's wanted, they could build a new scoring line around them, which would allow Bergeron to play a more defensive role at crunch time.

Cons: The B's don't exactly need another center. He doesn't really add any size to the group. He'll be expensive and they won't be able to re-sign him.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marsh-Weiss-Horton
Kelly-Bergeron-Peverley

samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
You won't find a bigger Spooner fan than me. He's been 'my guy' since the first day of his first development camp. A spot previously held by Marchand, and Krejci before him. I think Spooner can be in their class.

But acknowledging that he'll be the guy teams are interested in, isn't the same as throwing him inder the bus. IMHO.
I hear what your saying dude ... Sure other teams would ask for him The bus comment I'm referring to him leaving and only getting Iggy for what could be 1 yr 20 games or soo ... Yes he could resign I acknowledge that too.. but if he doesn't and we don't win the cup ... what would you say then ?

Old
02-09-2013, 12:19 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Spooner is our best prospect and he is one of the best rookies in the AHL this season. I remember when this board was crazy for Krejci, Kalus and Karsums and they were ‘untradeable’, now only one of those players is an NHL regular. The same thing applies here for Spooner, Knight and Koko; we would be really lucky to have two of these players become NHL regulars, but it’s far more likely only one of them will. Spooner has had the best development so far which makes me less likely to trade him, everyone else I am open too.
totally how I feel !! Sure we could be wrong I'm no scout but I do watch a lot of hockey

Old
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
I hear what your saying dude ... Sure other teams would ask for him The bus comment I'm referring to him leaving and only getting Iggy for what could be 1 yr 20 games or soo ... Yes he could resign I acknowledge that too.. but if he doesn't and we don't win the cup ... what would you say then ?
Go for it while Chara is still dominant and we have all our core players.

02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I would only deal real assets for a guy like O'Reilly or Carlson... These one and done players don't interest me for the prices you have to pay.

Bruins need a top 9 forward. You should be able to get one for a prospect (not top 5) and a 2nd. I'm not giving up #1's or a top 5 prospect for Iginla, Ryder, Morrow et all.

I agree with this line of thinking. It's not as if the club is desperate to win the cup and we have to mortgage the future to do it, we won the cup just 2 years ago.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Ryder

Pros: "We're gettin' the band back together, man." The guys in the room know and like Ryder. The coaches trust him. We won a Cup with him. Put him on the Perv line and it should mean instant scoring depth and the occasional big goal.

Cons: He won't help the PP. His flaws are well known here. MMB says we can do better.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marsh-Bergy-Horton
Kelly-Peverley-Ryder
I've always liked Ryder and felt re-upping him for 3.5 was worth it. Pouliot wasn't an awful replacement, but I think losing Ryder has demonstrated the weakness we have on that spot now. That said, I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for him MAYBE a conditional 2nd/1st contingent on the bruins making the finals

Quote:
Iginla

Pros: Adding a guy like Iginla could give the B's a major boost in confidence/morale similar to the 2011 trade deadline. It could also give them that Mark Recchi, win-one-for-the-gipper theme to rally around.

Cons: He's not the player he once was, and the cost of acquiring him could be prohibitive if PC pays for reputation the way he did with Kaberle. I also don't think he'd "solve" the PP. He's another RH shot. He's not a PPQB. He's not a net-front guy. He does like to shoot and has a quicker/better release than Horton, but someone still has to get him the puck.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marsh-Bergy-Iginla
Kelly-Peverley-Horton
Sometimes I feel the bruins should be patient and careful with the cap, other times I believe we should maximize their chances to win while Chara is healthy and playing in his prime (last season was one of his best)

So what would get it done? You say he's not the player he was once, which is true. He went from 43 to 32 goals over the last two seasons and is having a dissapointing start thus far, I think that will reduce his value yet he could really kick it up a notch if given a chance with a tight knit cup contending team

I'd start with a 1st and a second and a player close to NHL contention? Someone who is perhaps a bit bottlenecked here and has been passed by?

Sauve? Caron ? Bartkowski?

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:48 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

I'd be just as happy with Ryder as I would with Iggy. I was kind of a Ryder fanboy when he was here. I don't know why, he just seems likeable. Plus that shot is wicked.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:59 PM
NHRonin

I'd give up a first and prospects for a Perry or Getzlaf assuming they stayed after this season. Iginla however is 35 and doesn't have much left in the tank. I wouldn't give all that much for him.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
Bill - you are Fla GM....what do you want from us for Weiss? Can it be done for Knight-Bartkowski a pick? Krug? If we can stay away from Spooner or Koko I think he is our best choice....
If I'm their GM I want Spooner so that he can eventually replace Weiss. Short of that I want a 1st and 2nd. If not from Boston, then someone. Lots of teams looking for a top6 center. I don't think it can be done wothout either a 1st+ or Spooner/Koko.

I don't think our D prospects carry much value and I don't think Knight has much value right now because of all the injuries. Spooner, Koko, Subban and our 1st are the futures that I think carry legitimate weight and one of which would have to be the centerpiece of any deal for a player that blows our skirts up.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
If I'm their GM I want Spooner so that he can eventually replace Weiss. Short of that I want a 1st and 2nd. If not from Boston, then someone. Lots of teams looking for a top6 center. I don't think it can be done wothout either a 1st+ or Spooner/Koko.

I don't think our D prospects carry much value and I don't think Knight has much value right now because of all the injuries. Spooner, Koko, Subban and our 1st are the futures that I think carry legitimate weight and one of which would have to be the centerpiece of any deal for a player that blows our skirts up.
Bruins don't need Weiss- btw Bill, love your writing and I'm sure you have access to the Calgary guys and maybe some other writers or hockey folks- ask them what they think of Iginla. I have got some interesting feedback and would like to hear if what you get matches what I get.

Also, Ryder is a better option- apparently he has found 'exercise' and is much sleeker and quicker these days able to get more separation and use his extraordinary shot.

Boston knows Ryder and Ryder certainly knows this team- I can not prove they are interested but there certainly were rumors they were impressed by his play.

I'm to lazy to look but I believe Ryder has 4 goals and Iginla 2 or 3 but even that aside I think that Ryder is not only better right now but is a better fit and would cost a lot less than Iginla. Calgary would probably want Boston's first, either Koko or Spooner to get a center, and take a shot at a guy like Caron. That is way to bleeping much.

Boston has no worries and with the Cap they can take their 3 second rounders all signed to the same deals and use them for three years to balance out other monies like what is going to go to Horton and Rask (I think Ference at about 3 mil is gone)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:36 PM
DKH

Quote:

good stuff Bill, my view

they would want Spooner I think is correct and would be smart to probably say 'hey, throw Knight in he's always hurt;

However, Spooner has really impressed and THEY know he is only going to get better, he is just a babe in the woods here and his upside is pretty good- plus he has the chance to be a monster on the PP. I've seen lots of Spooner and I'm telling you he can really run the PP. I think how he matures and fills out, gains experience he can be a second line 60 point guy that can make teams pay down short. He can also shoot the puck- reminds me of Krejci, much, much better than people think. Cassidy, Sweeney have been all over him to shoot.

Knight is close to returning I believe and he has a couple of things in his favor. They have him on the off-wing because Sweeney correctly thinks he has an extraordinary shot and quick release. Chiarelli one would think would like nothing more than JK to be what they think he can become (remember he was only 2 spots out of the first round and only a few months before had been diagnosed a diabetic- in a strong draft) and hit the daily double for the resume- a great trade and a great drafter, and then put all three on the ice at the same time. Kinda looks nice if you are the guy who made that to really nail it.

I know this is a fan board and most everyone loves a trade, new toys, but the guys running this play it close to the vest, watch their assets and root very hard for them to succeed. Even Bourque who many here had in the recycle bin has a huge silent rooting group up on the 9th floor.

They want a Patriots type run and thinking short term by trading Spooner a first in a very, very deep draft and say Caron for a rental when you are two years removed from a Cup, have a deep roster and deep prospect pool at forward and Cap issues- signing Horton and Rask mean you need ready talent like Spooner and Knight coming in to balance out.

We need Weiss like most of us need a weekend car.

Injuries will most likely be the reason they have to deal, as of right now they should continue to win at a steady rate and hold down a first round home spot.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Bruins do not have to give up any roster players to add type player like Iginla.They are in position of power not flames.They might lose him for nothing they do not move him,and I am pretty sure they do not want give him new deal at his age,If they do they crazy.
So what do you offer the Flames for their captain and face of the franchise?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
Bartowski and Krug hold very little value right now. Only way you avoid Khoko or Spooner is if you are adding a 1st to a lesser prospect.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
by trading Spooner a first in a very, very deep draft
For what it's worth, most are now saying that it isn't a deep draft at all. Earlier in the year, and last year, people were calling it deep, but supposedly it's now kind of shallow. Great top 7 or 8 but trails off after that. Of course, there will still be guys who make impacts taken after that, but supposedly that's what the scouts are saying now.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:20 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
So what do you offer the Flames for their captain and face of the franchise?
its a tough match because if Calgary trades him, the guy who will likely have a bronze statue infront of their rink, they need a mother bleeping haul. But he's not that type of player anymore. He'd likely play the season and then depending how pissed he was go right back to Calgary.

If I am the Flames I want your first to start, and your best prospect, and a Caron type who was a first, has been in the NHL and has had some success- that Leafs game was fantastic.

The draft is very strong so you could be giving up a Kerby Rychel type (Red Line has 26th and our prospect thread discussed him as a legit Boston pick which makes sense)...Spooner or Koko???

just cant do it- I think each of those guys we give up has a heck of a career and going by baseballs WARP I'm not so sure the guys in Iggy spot are that far off from the 36 year old version.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
For what it's worth, most are now saying that it isn't a deep draft at all. Earlier in the year, and last year, people were calling it deep, but supposedly it's now kind of shallow. Great top 7 or 8 but trails off after that. Of course, there will still be guys who make impacts taken after that, but supposedly that's what the scouts are saying now.
maybe, I get Red Line and that is pretty much my monthly draft snack, and Woodlief says its deep I guess he has to

Old
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Montecristo

I've said this Before to no reply, but why isn't hejduk being talked about. 36 year old former captain and Stanley cup winner, playing for a young team in transition. Can provide great scoring depth on the 3rd line and power play. I think playing on a contending team could rejuvenate the once very potent sniper. Up until last year he had 11 straight seasons with 20 plus goals. Not to mention his price is probably Lower then any other player mentioned so far

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Mainehockey33
HF Boards Founder

I'm still holding out hope for Jager, I think he'd thrive playing with Krejci. Not only are they countrymen, I think their puck protection and cycle game would complement each other. The only downside is that would probably bump Seguin back down to the second line.

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Seguin-Krejci-Jagr
Lucic-Bergeron-Marchand
Peverley-Kelly-Horton

That's what I would do with Jagr.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Mainehockey33
HF Boards Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Seguin-Krejci-Jagr
Lucic-Bergeron-Marchand
Peverley-Kelly-Horton

That's what I would do with Jagr.
That's a sick lineup if Seguin can play leftwing. I think Jagr would help our powerplay better then Iginla

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
That's a sick lineup if Seguin can play leftwing. I think Jagr would help our powerplay better then Iginla
I agree.