HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence up front....Please

Old
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Physical presence up front....Please

With the signing of Matt Cullen, who throws about one check every three games, we remain a very soft, physically passive team, especially in the top 6...The only two forwards that hit CONSISTENTLY are Hollweg and Orts..it basically stops there..Of the young forward prospects that are closet to ready, neither Dawes or Immo are exactly physical either....Kinda why I've been saying that Greg Moore should get a shot...But I don't want him rushed either (Ditto for Dubinsky)..The Rangers will be foolish to continue to ignore this need...Not much out there via FA for finding a guy that can play and be strong but hopefully the braintrust is looking at some deals..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
CJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
With the signing of Matt Cullen, who throws about one check every three games, we remain a very soft, physically passive team, especially in the top 6...The only two forwards that hit CONSISTENTLY are Hollweg and Orts..it basically stops there..Of the young forward prospects that are closet to ready, neither Dawes or Immo are exactly physical either....Kinda why I've been saying that Greg Moore should get a shot...But I don't want him rushed either (Ditto for Dubinsky)..The Rangers will be foolish to continue to ignore this need...Not much out there via FA for finding a guy that can play and be strong but hopefully the braintrust is looking at some deals..

Im somewhat confused on you're statement regarding Dawes actually...

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2173

"Along the way, he's managed to adopt a physical edge to his game. Opposing forwards have had to learn not to skate with their head down while Dawes is on the ice.

"He plays hard," said Dineen. "He hits guys when they're not ready."

There are different degrees of being physical....

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
True Blue

Quote:
we remain a very soft, physically passive team, especially in the top 6...
We knew that was not going to change for the upcoming year. Not until there are more openings at the forward positions and some of the Hartford players are coming up is that going to change. This year, the Rangers will basically be as soft as last year. Renney has placed a premium on skill above everything else. We saw evidence of that last year.
In two years, I believe the team will be tougher, but this year it will be very similar to last year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Im somewhat confused on you're statement regarding Dawes actually...

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2173

"Along the way, he's managed to adopt a physical edge to his game. Opposing forwards have had to learn not to skate with their head down while Dawes is on the ice.

"He plays hard," said Dineen. "He hits guys when they're not ready."

There are different degrees of being physical....
Never seen him bang that much but I've only caught a handful of his games., but if that's the way he plays, bring him on......Being ready for the NHL, especially the top two lines is another story though...So, good words about Dawes notwithstanding, with or without him I thgink we need a bit more..

Old
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
CJB

Quote:
Never seen him bang that much but I've only caught a handful of his games., but if that's the way he plays, bring him on......Being ready for the NHL, especially the top two lines is another story though...So, good words about Dawes notwithstanding, with or without him I thgink we need a bit more..
He is not going to be the most physical player out there but he does hit, forecheck and does a little bit of everything. I'm hoping for Dawes to take the 3rd line LW position for the NYR this coming season.

Old
07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
We knew that was not going to change for the upcoming year. Not until there are more openings at the forward positions and some of the Hartford players are coming up is that going to change. This year, the Rangers will basically be as soft as last year. Renney has placed a premium on skill above everything else. We saw evidence of that last year.
In two years, I believe the team will be tougher, but this year it will be very similar to last year.
Then we will face the same problems at the end of the year...But, I'm not so sure it can't work out...Right now, there is still at least one opening on the top 2 lines and maybe even two if you consider Cullen a 3rd liner (which I don't think the Rangers do)...But one guy can make a decent difference....

Heck maybe there's another opening becasue didn't renney say that he thought Prucha would be most effective on the 3rd line?

Old
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
He is not going to be the most physical player out there but he does hit, forecheck and does a little bit of everything. I'm hoping for Dawes to take the 3rd line LW position for the NYR this coming season.
I could see him MAYBE getting a shot at the more offensive of the bottom two lines...That would be fine with me...But so would half a year in Hartford if he's not ready...

Old
07-05-2006, 07:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'm hoping for Dawes to take the 3rd line LW position for the NYR this coming season.
I'm hoping right along with you...but I'm pretty sure someone within the organization (Renney?) was quoted saying that he needed one more year before he'd be ready.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
CJB

Quote:
I could see him MAYBE getting a shot at the more offensive of the bottom two lines...That would be fine with me...But so would half a year in Hartford if he's not ready...
Ofcourse

And as for Prucha, he should be on the top two lines. No need to put him in the bottom lines, he prove last year he can create offense.

As for the openeing spot, I'm not sure either. The NYR might get somebody or make the spot open, to fight for in training camp.

Old
07-05-2006, 07:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Then we will face the same problems at the end of the year...But one guy can make a decent difference....
Yes, they will
Quote:
Right now, there is still at least one opening on the top 2 lines and maybe even two if you consider Cullen a 3rd liner (which I don't think the Rangers do)...
I agree with you and that makes only one opening.
Quote:
Heck maybe there's another opening becasue didn't renney say that he thought Prucha would be most effective on the 3rd line?
I know you write this in jest, but yes he did state that. That would no doubt be the most mind-boggling move.

Old
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Guys Dawes is 5'8. Laraque, Simon, and Dingman are all available, no reason not to sign one

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Guys, also realize were soft on D. After Ward and Kasper, not one guy will hit, except for Tyutin's occasional big hit

Old
CJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm hoping right along with you...but I'm pretty sure someone within the organization (Renney?) was quoted saying that he needed one more year before he'd be ready.
In every level Dawes has face, he has produce. While its not a certainty that he can at the NHL level, the history of what he has done in every level says he can produce. If he needs a little seasoning why rush, and just be patient.

Old
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Guys Dawes is 5'8. Laraque, Simon, and Dingman are all available, no reason not to sign one
All three players are 4th liners. Which of Hollweg, Ortmeyer or Ward are they replacing? Or is Hollweg on the 3rd line?

Old
07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
All three players are 4th liners. Which of Hollweg, Ortmeyer or Ward are they replacing? Or is Hollweg on the 3rd line?
I expected Hollweg and Ortmeyer to play on the 3rd line this year, maybe I'm wrong

Old
07-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I expected Hollweg and Ortmeyer to play on the 3rd line this year, maybe I'm wrong
TBB - I'm not really worried about toughness and grit on the bottom two lines, I think we got that pretty much covered...And while Laraque and Orr can fight, they don't do too much else that warrant them playing more then the odd game.......I'm looking for someone that can play on the top two lines consistently while being able to hit, go to the net, and open up the ice a little..That's what we need....

Old
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
CJB

Quote:
Im sorry if I misread the previous post, but basically the poster was saying they need a physical player that can play in the top two lines, not a fourth line enforcer like Laraque and Dingman, or a third line phsyical player like Simon.

Old
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

There goes Laraque anyway, to the Yotes

Old
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
There goes Laraque anyway, to the Yotes

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:12 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I still do think Simon can play on the top 2 lines, he played with Lindros during his stay here, and got some time with Iginla in Calgary. Petrovicky may be another guy who can fit, he played with Kovalchuk in Atlanta on the top line

Old
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Fish

Quote:
....Kinda why I've been saying that Greg Moore should get a shot...But I don't want him rushed either ..
I wouldn't consider Moore a very physical player either...he's more in the Rem Murray mould.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
It all depends on what you want.

A-Acquire a guy that runs around just trying to hit everything that moves to get a rise out of the crowd and completely blows defensive coverage?

OR

B-A guy who doesn't necessarily throw the biggest hits but creates turnovers while throwing the body around?

I really don't know who is left that would be a good filler on one of our bottome 2 lines as far as a physical presence. We all know that Peca, and Shanny would be ideal but that certainly doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Also, don't take anything away from Prucha last year. The "little guy" certainly threw his weight around a lot more than some of our bigger forwards.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Fletch

What he wants...

is a semblance of what it took to win the Cup. Watching the finals made me realize that the Rangers aren't close. They would not be able to compete in those games, which were fast paced, and physical. The 'Canes may not be overly physical up front, but Brindy, Recchi, Weight, and others do not shy away and will get their noses dirty. In Edmonton, you had guys like Smyth, Torres, Stoll and others who also were up to the physical play. Then you watch the Rangers play the Devils, who had guys like Gionta, Gomez, Elias and Langenbrunner playing physical. It's not the Laroque or Simon the Rangers are in need of, it's these other guys who will go in and bang a guy to come away with the puck, or have them cough it up. After defenses are done looking out for Jagr, they really don't feel the pressure from the Rangers skilled forwards. Prucha's willing, but he hits and bounces off. This is an element this team lacks.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Guys, also realize were soft on D. After Ward and Kasper, not one guy will hit, except for Tyutin's occasional big hit
Exactly. To me atleast, this is more of a concern than our offensive physicality.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Jeez, after reading this thread you would think power fowards are a dime a dozen and the rangers are just avoiding them....

Do the Rangers NEED a physical presence up front? Probably but not at the price it is going to cost the Rangers unless they want to sign Shanahan.

Lets not forget the Rangers had a 100 points last year. The Rangers do have physical players on the bottom two lines. If Renney wanted to in a game situation he could mix things up and have a guy like Hollweg skate with Jagr and Nylander. This is a pressing need for this team..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote