HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI/ANA] Okposo for Sbisa

Old
10-18-2011, 12:51 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

vCash: 500
I like this a lot, addresses the needs of both teams. Plus I would absolutely love having Sbisa back in the Atlantic division.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:48 AM
StrongIslanders90

I would do Bailey and Comaeu for Sbisa and a mid round pick or bottom pair foward....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

double post

Last edited by Gliff: 10-18-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I would do Bailey and Comaeu for Sbisa and a mid round pick or bottom pair foward....
What's Bailey's deal? Is he progressing like you'd guys like? I've seen him play a couple of times in person and he's very impressive, but I know Islanders fans were a little disappointed last year.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:17 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
What's Bailey's deal? Is he progressing like you'd guys like? I've seen him play a couple of times in person and he's very impressive, but I know Islanders fans were a little disappointed last year.
Bailey is struggling, as is Comeauu (who got benched for the game against the Rangers). He shows flashes of brilliance, but till yet he couldn't produce. There are still high hopes for the kid, because is young, but also some worries about is true potential.

That's why I tought Okposo was better than a Bailey + Comeau offer. Okposo is already a second liner, but Bailey and Comeau... we can only hope they will become second liners at this point. Which doesn't adress a need for the ducks.

Anyway, Okposo being held off the scoresheet is not why I proposet this trade. I included him because I think the Islanders have enough dept up front and a player who could slot into the hole left by Okposo (Nino - maybe even Comeau or Rolston, but I agree this could be scary), and obviously because you aint gonna get Sbisa from Anaheim by giving them scrubs or unproven players. Anaheim is not rebuilding, even tough their second line as it is now will likely last only for this season. In Okposo you have a player who has proven to be a capable second liner who has room for improvement. Speaking of prospects, the Isles have some nice D prospects in Donovan and de Hann, but neither of them plays the phisical, punishing play that Sbisa plays and that the NYI lack.

I tought that Isles fan would have taken it more favorably than the Ducks fans, because for them losing Sbisa is creating an hole that for a playoff team is not affordable. Adding Mottau to the equation would not help either, because he is not very reliable. So it would be Murrays priority to find another Top 4 defenceman!

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:03 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
He was a MONSTER for the first 6 games last year and then he got hurt and never was the same....As Isles fans we get frustrated because we saw that great play from him last year and then it just never returned...He destroyed the AHL when he went down last year proving it was no place for him....The case of Bailey is a wierd one...His character is awsome but he might need a change more than anyone...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Very solid! Would probably do it even though I would hate to part ways with KO. We have Lee, Petrov, Kabanov, Nelson, Nino, and Strome plus others. I think I would get over it though.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:56 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Value is there but I don't think I could pull the trigger on this, I don't think Guenin-Brookbank would be able to last as a bottom pairing for us.

Good proposal though, very tempting
Indeed. I am a big Sbiser fan, but I would not trade him for a RW. The Ducks have depth at Center and Right Wing, but they are very thin on LW. If the Islanders wanted to trade Niederreiter and get Sbisa (and picks) in return, I would do it now. If the Ducks could acquire Bailey and Okposo for Sbisa, Beleskey, a 2nd and 5th, I would do it (but only if DSP is returned to juniors).
That way we plug Bailey in on the 3rd line as LW or Center (since Cogliano can't take faceoffs), and put Okposo on the 2nd line. Recall a depth defenseman as our number 7, and plug Foster into Sbisa's spot. Remember that we have a lot of depth on defense (Guenin, Cumiskey, Vatanen, Carle, Rodney, Smaby), including some unsigned guys (like Shultz and Lind).

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Pass. The Isles know, like, signed and are developing Okposo.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Riddick

any chance of revisiting this? would love sbisa here.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

No for me. If Ducks do decide to trade Sbisa I hope it's for someone like RoR or a better fit for Getz and Perry. Okposo doesn't strike me as a good fit.

Man these old bumps get confusing at first.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

No chance. Snow isn't bringing in another Andy Rufener client to Long Island.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
First proposal ever.

To Isles: Luca Sbisa (4 yrs, 2.175M cap hit)

To Ducks: Kyle Okposo (5 yrs, 2.8M cap hit)

The Isles do this because they really need a nasty, phisical shut down defender. Sbisa is willing to fight, is young, hits everything and is willing to block shots. In addition to that, he also is speedy. He will not be on the score sheet often, but will slot nicely in a top 4 of Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald, making Mottau expendable. Okposos spot could be filled from whithin by Nino.

The Ducks do this because their second line is quickly aging. After this year, replacement would be needed at wing if Selanne and Blake didn't resign. Okposo could fill that role next year, and with the Blake injury, he could slot in. While as of now not very productive, Okposo can play with an edge and is very responsible defensively. That said, he still has room for improvement, and if he manages to hit less posts, he could be easily score 20 a year for the next 5 years on his contract, at a friendly cap hit. On the downside, I don't know if the Ducks have somebody in their system that could fill up the void left by Sbisa.

Any toughts?
A well thought out proposal.

Snow has a key vet in Streit, about to hit unrestricted free agency.
Okposo is streaky as heck, which is why some NYI fans want to move him.
They ignore that *say it with me*... Snow shows a lot of patience with core youngsters, on team friendly deals.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
This. He has the same agent as Nino.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:21 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Good memory. I had forgotten Nino and Sbisa share the same agent.
The link is a few weeks old. I hope it still works.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...aubt--30354469

Q:So you canít see any chances for Nino Niederreiter with the Islanders?
A:To be honest: Not with this GM and not with this headcoach.

Q:You had a comparable, but not as dramatic situation with Luca Sbisa. Sbisa too got relegated to the farm team, even though he was way too good for that. But you didnít do anything back then.
A:This situation was different: I knew that the problem was Randy Carlyle, whose time was basically up with Anaheim. Luca Sbisa was highly regarded by the GM and we simply had to wait, until Carlyle was fired.

Q:What are you going to do now?
A:Weíll see. Iíll have some tough negotiations with GM Garth Snow when Ninoís contract is over in two years, anyway. I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesnít matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Good memory. I had forgotten Nino and Sbisa share the same agent.
The link is a few weeks old. I hope it still works.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...aubt--30354469

Q:So you canít see any chances for Nino Niederreiter with the Islanders?
A:To be honest: Not with this GM and not with this headcoach.

Q:You had a comparable, but not as dramatic situation with Luca Sbisa. Sbisa too got relegated to the farm team, even though he was way too good for that. But you didnít do anything back then.
A:This situation was different: I knew that the problem was Randy Carlyle, whose time was basically up with Anaheim. Luca Sbisa was highly regarded by the GM and we simply had to wait, until Carlyle was fired.

Q:What are you going to do now?
A:Weíll see. Iíll have some tough negotiations with GM Garth Snow when Ninoís contract is over in two years, anyway. I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesnít matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.
Wow that guy sounds like a complete asshat.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
With all due respect to that guy, he's spouting a very one-sided story and very little facts. Sbisa was sent to the AHL because he wasn't playing well enough in the NHL. It had nothing to do with Carlyle, and I'd note that Sbisa's responsibilities haven't changed since Boudreau took over. Luca just hasn't hit that next level yet.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:03 PM
iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
From an Isles perspective the value is likely there.

It is tough for the Isles to consider letting a core piece go.

I think it is too early in the season to make this kind of deal.

The Isles D is holding up well at this time, and there are several solid pieces coming for the blueline in de Haan, Donovan and perhaps Ness albeit he is small.

The Okposo, Neilsen, Grabner line is also a big plus for the Isles despite a slowish beginning.

But it is good proposal.
The Isles D is holding up well at this time????
They have the 3rd worst GA in the league
and it is not Nabby`s fault.

iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I don't do this if I'm Anaheim. Value isn't bad by any means, but Sbisa to me can develop into what Marc Staal is and I value that more than Okposo, who I think has pretty much almost reached his ceiling, barring some unexpected spike in production.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
The Isles D is holding up well at this time????
They have the 3rd worst GA in the league
and it is not Nabby`s fault.
Isles have been overworking their top 3 Hamonic/Streit/MacDonald.

Today is Vis first game for the isles. Cappy says they expect him to ease the workload of Hamonic/Streit/MacDonald.

Also, imo Nabby is being overworked because Cappy has no faith in DiPietro. Nabby has played every game except 1. His play is not as sharp, with him playing so many mins in a condensed schedule.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
With all due respect to that guy, he's spouting a very one-sided story and very little facts. Sbisa was sent to the AHL because he wasn't playing well enough in the NHL. It had nothing to do with Carlyle, and I'd note that Sbisa's responsibilities haven't changed since Boudreau took over. Luca just hasn't hit that next level yet.
The guy being quoted is Sbisa and Nino's agent.

The same agent who says he waited for Carlyle to be fired, is telling the press he hopes Snow gets fired, while encouraging Nino to ask for a trade.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
The guy being quoted is Sbisa and Nino's agent.

The same agent who says he waited for Carlyle to be fired, is telling the press he hopes Snow gets fired, while encouraging Nino to ask for a trade.
Yeah, I got that. He's just full of crap.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Ya when Sbisa was sent down and Carlyle was "on his way out" it was 6 months after beating the #1 seed Sharks and taking the #2 seed RedWings to game 7. He was not on his way out.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Well, I'll agree with you there.

I could have better understood his complaining about the isles, if he'd done so last season, when the isles foolishly rushed Nino into the NHL and didn't demote him.

Instead he says nothing, until the isles leave Nino in the AHL this season. Nino's AHL salary is $90,000 with bonuses, his NHL base salary would have been $900,000.

I have to think that paycut, along with Nino complaining is behind the trade demand.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:38 PM
iggy

Quote:
Isles have been overworking their top 3 Hamonic/Streit/MacDonald.

Today is Vis first game for the isles. Cappy says they expect him to ease the workload of Hamonic/Streit/MacDonald.

Also, imo Nabby is being overworked because Cappy has no faith in DiPietro. Nabby has played every game except 1. His play is not as sharp, with him playing so many mins in a condensed schedule.
You are making my point.
Fine--they are overworked
They need help
They are not doing well

iggy is offline   Reply With Quote