HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is Up With Attendance?

Old
02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
HF fan*

vCash: 500
What Is Up With Attendance?

The lockout seems to have really had an impact on the Blues. 2nd place last year, win a series, and only averaging 17,000 plus? Last game had only 15,000. What is going on?

HF fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Robb_K

I suspect that it will be even worse now that they've lost three in a row.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

They were during the week but I was on hand for the last two abysmal efforts and the lower section section was not very full.

It does seem as though the attendance is way down (except for opening night) and much quieter than previous seasons

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:27 AM
diehardbluesfan

Because people don't want to spend money on a league that has had a lock out twice in the past seven years. I know quite a few people who had season tickets or a half season plan and got rid of them because of the past lock out. I'm sure St. Louis isn't the only american city struggling with attendance after another lock out.

Would I like to see STC packed every night? Hell yeah, but can you really blame anybody for not wanting to spend lots of money in this terrible economy (and especially STL)? I can't.

I'd expect next year the crowds will be better though.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:25 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I wouldn't worry. Every fanbase gets a free pass for this season for obvious reasons.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Because people don't want to spend money on a league that has had a lock out twice in the past seven years. I know quite a few people who had season tickets or a half season plan and got rid of them because of the past lock out. I'm sure St. Louis isn't the only american city struggling with attendance after another lock out.

Would I like to see STC packed every night? Hell yeah, but can you really blame anybody for not wanting to spend lots of money in this terrible economy (and especially STL)? I can't.

I'd expect next year the crowds will be better though.
100 % agree. I know quite a few people who didn't re-up because of the lockout. With the exception of the rabid Hockey fans, you have to wonder if the casual fan will ever come back.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:36 AM
TuukYou14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF fan View Post
The lockout seems to have really had an impact on the Blues. 2nd place last year, win a series, and only averaging 17,000 plus? Last game had only 15,000. What is going on?
I agree with all of the above...
Additionally, in a shortened season there are home games much closer together on the calendar, causing it to be a tough situation for a lot of families.

Fans cannot go to every home game like they once could because financially, they only allot 'x' amount of dollars for entertaining purposes each month and now the number of home events during each month has been multiplied two-fold.

So not only do we have the pissed off fans who don't want to spend money, we also have the die hards who simply can't spend the money. If we have 3 home games in one week, that could end up like a car/mortgage payment for a family of 4 to go to all 3.

TuukYou14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
SirPaste

A lot of people are still sour about the lockout, the diehards are there obviously, but its gonna take a bit for people to get over it, I get it.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Big Al 2

Slow economy, higher taxes, and watching the game at home is a lot cheaper

Big Al 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

St. Louis is such a hipster town. Now that the team is good (last couple of games notwithstanding), all the hipsters decided that they can no longer support the team "ironically".

It's the opposite of a bandwagon fanbase.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
St. Louis is such a hipster town. Now that the team is good (last couple of games notwithstanding), all the hipsters decided that they can no longer support the team "ironically".

It's the opposite of a bandwagon fanbase.
I'm one of those fans, to a point. I started being a Blues fan after the 2004-05 lockout when we were terrible because no one else was. Except then I got hooked and now I can't stay away

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I'm one of those fans, to a point. I started being a Blues fan after the 2004-05 lockout when we were terrible because no one else was. Except then I got hooked and now I can't stay away
It certainly didn't hurt that you could get tickets for absolutely dirt cheap at the time. I remember cashing in on some of those Student Nights and getting near center ice seats, four rows up for $20 a pop.

Kudos to you though, you've certainly earned your stripes soldiering through some of those post-'04-'05 lockout seasons. Ah, the days when Lemtyugov was our Russian Savior, Steve Regier was our goal-scoring machine, and Eric Brewer was literally Satan. The good old times when Manny Legace was an All-Star representative, Steve Wagner and Jonas Junland were the future of the blueline, and Andy Murray literally ruined David Perron.

The hipster fan in me misses those days.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
sh724

Ah the good old days when I would buy tickets next to the roof and sit in the front row by all the players wives.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:27 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

You guys do realize there was a bit of attendance manipulation while the team was for sale right? Also, only one weekend game so far and it was opening night.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
100 % agree. I know quite a few people who didn't re-up because of the lockout. With the exception of the rabid Hockey fans, you have to wonder if the casual fan will ever come back.
Can't say I disagree with you but believe me, during the last two games there have been plenty of "casual" fans sitting behind me yelling absurd things. I am not the yelling type of fan, I will ALWAYS support the Blues through thick and thin and am the definition of turning the other cheek but let me tell you, I really wanted to yell things during those last two.

That said, the people and what they want to yell just tells me how little they know about hockey and are very "casual" indeed. I think St. Louis will always have people who have had season tickets for some time or claim to go to lots of games and then sit down at their seat and I hear them say things like "Who is that Russian guy again?" or "That new coach has his work cut out for him.", both of which were said by a fan behind me at the last Detroit game.

I don't mind the casual fan and I think we are lucky to have them because there are not enough true hockey fans here. I just hate having to listen to someone who has only watched hockey through drunken eyes yell at the players to "SHOOT!!!" or "SKATE!!!".

/rant

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
Can't say I disagree with you but believe me, during the last two games there have been plenty of "casual" fans sitting behind me yelling absurd things. I am not the yelling type of fan, I will ALWAYS support the Blues through thick and thin and am the definition of turning the other cheek but let me tell you, I really wanted to yell things during those last two.

That said, the people and what they want to yell just tells me how little they know about hockey and are very "casual" indeed. I think St. Louis will always have people who have had season tickets for some time or claim to go to lots of games and then sit down at their seat and I hear them say things like "Who is that Russian guy again?" or "That new coach has his work cut out for him.", both of which were said by a fan behind me at the last Detroit game.

I don't mind the casual fan and I think we are lucky to have them because there are not enough true hockey fans here. I just hate having to listen to someone who has only watched hockey through drunken eyes yell at the players to "SHOOT!!!" or "SKATE!!!".

/rant

I love when fans yell, "shoot", like it's a 3 pointer in bball.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Big Al 2

Yelling SKATE is the one that gets me... They're all on skates, therefor they're all skating

Old
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 2 View Post
Yelling SKATE is the one that gets me... They're all on skates, therefor they're all skating
It's better than hearing someone say RUN.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Given the way the blues have been playing lately there might be a difference between them skating and them gliding.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Big Al 2

Clear it!!!

Old
02-09-2013, 02:09 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Get it up!

Old
02-09-2013, 04:06 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Get it up!

Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 AM
jura
booze & blues

Quote:
Clear it!!!
at least it's not " D ##"

jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:15 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post

/rant
The game Sarah Palin was at was the worst 90% of the people around me where just there to see her and had no idea what was going on but they all talked like they knew everything.

I was at a game last year about 10 rows from the ice. It was half threw the third and they did not know Minnesota's name is the 'wild' Some one yelled some thing about the wild and this lady starts asking 'the wild what?'

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

People forgot about the NHL it is a garage league and it earned its reputation with the latest lockout.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote