HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Leafs or Oilers 7 game series

View Poll Results: Who would win a 7 game series? (no injuries)
Leafs 47 40.52%
Oilers 52 44.83%
Could go either way 17 14.66%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
  #26
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 40,425
vCash: 50
Is this a relegation series?

Leafs would still win, bye bye Oilers

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM
  #27
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Oilers, if you ignore Dubnyk's game against San Jose, he'd actually be close to the top in every goaltending category, including tops in saves/shots against. Even with that game, he's been better than Reimer so far this season. Oilers have a slight advantage on offense thanks to a superior Powerplay, Leafs have a slight advantage on defense. For me, Dubnyk vs Reimer is the clincher here, as Dubnyk has been consistently good so far this season, whereas Reimer has been, well, enigmatic. Oh, and no it's not as big a gap on defence as people think, Justin Schultz has been a stud for us so far, and Nick Schultz, Smid, and Petry have been playing decently as well, now if only we could get someone to replace Whitney and Potter...
Looks like you haven't watched any Leaf games. Reimer is the most consistent player on the Leafs team right now. He is been providing solid goal tending and keeps the team in game.

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
  #28
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,238
vCash: 270
Toronto. Edmonton has mad offense, but you need more than that in the playoffs.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  #29
FireEverybody*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
I will assume this is some sort of exhibition? I will also assume Leafs negotiate Oilers getting home ice advantage giving Leafs the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Toronto. Edmonton has mad offense, but you need more than that in the playoffs.
This is a myth.
They have some high talent players but their team offensive production has not been great (or better then the Leafs) for a long time.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
  #30
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,238
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
I will assume this is some sort of exhibition? I will also assume Leafs negotiate Oilers getting home ice advantage giving Leafs the edge.



This is a myth.
They have some high talent players but their team offensive production has not been great (or better then the Leafs) for a long time.
Edmonton led non-playoff teams in the west for goals. Didn't say depth btw, if you think that Toronto's top two lines are better offensively than Edmontons are than you are silly. I don't even like Edmonton, in fact, they are one of my least favorite teams.

Also, Toronto having more goals last year doesn't mean they are better offensively. If Edmonton doesn't have any defense to move it up to the forwards, they aren't going to score.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
  #31
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Toronto. Edmonton has mad offense, but you need more than that in the playoffs.
Edmonton has what, 9 even strength goals and its the 3rd period of their 11th game?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
  #32
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,238
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Edmonton has what, 9 even strength goals and its the 3rd period of their 11th game?
Yeah. nvm.

Kessel and Lupul are better offensively than the last three 1st overall picks, Eberle and Gagne. I'm wrong, I apologize.

I guess I'll reword and say that Edmonton has a better crop of offensive forwards


Last edited by Izzy: 02-09-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
  #33
FireEverybody*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Edmonton led non-playoff teams in the west for goals. Didn't say depth btw, if you think that Toronto's top two lines are better offensively than Edmontons are than you are silly. I don't even like Edmonton, in fact, they are one of my least favorite teams.

Also, Toronto having more goals last year doesn't mean they are better offensively. If Edmonton doesn't have any defense to move it up to the forwards, they aren't going to score.
First off the bold part is a very important part of offence in the NHL and goes exactly with what I said.

Again ... scoring depth would be another really important part of NHL offensive game.

"Edmonton led non-playoff teams in the west for goals"

Whoopee ! They scored more goals then the offensive power houses of Calgary, Minni and the Jackets. While Toronto was top 10 and added offensive punch this year.

Guess what Oilers .. Bottom 5 in goals to start the season.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
  #34
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,238
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
First off the bold part is a very important part of offence in the NHL and goes exactly with what I said.

Again ... scoring depth would be another really important part of NHL offensive game.

"Edmonton led non-playoff teams in the west for goals"

Whoopee ! They scored more goals then the offensive power houses of Calgary, Minni and the Jackets. While Toronto was top 10 and added offensive punch this year.

Guess what Oilers .. Bottom 5 in goals to start the season.
Read my last post bud.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:11 PM
  #35
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,913
vCash: 500
Leafs have better offense, better defense, and goaltending is about even.

So leafs. Who are also much better coached

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:13 PM
  #36
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,354
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I'll admit that our team may not be as well rounded as the Leafs but the bolded comment is BS. If you watched even a single Oiler game this season you'd know that the Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky line has been our best line in just about every game played so far. Gagner is our leading point getter and Yakupov is our leading goal scorer and neither of these guys play on the top line. Also if you think J. Schultz is the only dman we got then you must never have watched Smid or Nick Schultz play before. Smid would be beast in the playoffs.
I have not watched a single game this season but the core remains the same with the addition of Schultz and Yakupov. However, i watched a lot last seasons and a 10 game sample size wont restructure my perception on the team. With that said i will admit i left out Smid on accident, an incredible player.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
  #37
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,354
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Oilers, if you ignore Dubnyk's game against San Jose, he'd actually be close to the top in every goaltending category, including tops in saves/shots against. Even with that game, he's been better than Reimer so far this season. Oilers have a slight advantage on offense thanks to a superior Powerplay, Leafs have a slight advantage on defense. For me, Dubnyk vs Reimer is the clincher here, as Dubnyk has been consistently good so far this season, whereas Reimer has been, well, enigmatic. Oh, and no it's not as big a gap on defence as people think, Justin Schultz has been a stud for us so far, and Nick Schultz, Smid, and Petry have been playing decently as well, now if only we could get someone to replace Whitney and Potter...
Reimer enigmatic? He has been the Leafs best player thus far

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
  #38
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs
 
chopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
The Oilers are starting to look good this year. Their offence has so many weapons. Oilers in 7.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  #39
L0STEDT*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
This is the closest either team will get to a playoff series.

L0STEDT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  #40
FireEverybody*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkins View Post
The Oilers are starting to look good this year. Their offence has so many weapons. Oilers in 7.
Their league low 9 ES goals are terrifying.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:01 PM
  #41
Great One
Registered User
 
Great One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
I have not watched a single game this season but the core remains the same with the addition of Schultz and Yakupov. However, i watched a lot last seasons and a 10 game sample size wont restructure my perception on the team. With that said i will admit i left out Smid on accident, an incredible player.
Yup the core do remain the same, and if you haven't seen a game this season I can understand why you'd think that we're a one line team. But what you wouldn't know from not having seen it this year, is that Hemsky has been playing like the Hemsky of old, with the exception of a couple of games, and Gagner has been playing the best hockey he's ever played in his career. That plus another year of development of that top line you mentioned, even though they haven't been playing good together so far this year, makes this team a much better team compared to the past couple of seasons.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:31 PM
  #42
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkins View Post
The Oilers are starting to look good this year. Their offence has so many weapons. Oilers in 7.
They're horrible at ES, and if it's playoff style then there will be less calls made.

I'd have to go with leafs in 6 or 7.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
  #43
Ewan McGregor
Registered User
 
Ewan McGregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
No one said he is a vezina canidate at all, as of right now Dubnyk is playing better and is the better goaltender imo, defense is a wash too and we have the edge in offence... Oilers in 6.
Defense is a wash? If Oilers didn't have Schultz you'd have the worst blueline in the league. God that franchise got lucky with that signing.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:52 PM
  #44
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Defense is a wash? If Oilers didn't have Schultz you'd have the worst blueline in the league. God that franchise got lucky with that signing.
It wasn't lucky.

Schultz, being on an ELC, stands to gain the most financially by hitting milestones in ice time, points, etc.

The Oilers, being as bad as they are on defense, are simply the best chance Schultz has to hit those bonuses.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
  #45
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
#3 ainec

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
  #46
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Defense is a wash? If Oilers didn't have Schultz you'd have the worst blueline in the league. God that franchise got lucky with that signing.
Yeah defence is a wash, your defence was crap last year and ours was arguably better, regardless how crappy both teams were. Justin Schulltz automatically gave us a potential #1 or #2 d man that we needed for a long time, who's your #1? An overpaid #3/4 dman in phaneuf?

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.