HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal not prime locations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2006, 05:21 PM
  #1
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Montreal not prime locations

Many times it is assumed that Montreal would be a poor place to live and play. IMHO Vancouver, San Jose and Tampa are the nicest. Montreal ranks up there. Detroit seems to keep its players and next to cleveland is the armpit of America.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
  #2
mikeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
I can't wait for your travel book to come out.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:04 PM
  #3
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegimik View Post
I can't wait for your travel book to come out.
lol I have spent much time in the Detroit Airport. It has to be worse than Khartoum.
Montreal is a lovely city( except for those creepy churches everywhere).

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
  #4
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Considering the salaries hockey players make and the fact that they rarely live in the "inner" city I suppose Detroit could be ok , downtown Detroit is pretty nasty though.

Anyway , all things considered...Phoenix would be on top of my list...the richer suburban areas of Phoenix are absolutely gorgeous!

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
  #5
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Many times it is assumed that Montreal would be a poor place to live and play. IMHO Vancouver, San Jose and Tampa are the nicest. Montreal ranks up there. Detroit seems to keep its players and next to cleveland is the armpit of America.
Vancouver is boring, but pretty. San Jose sucks. I lived in the Bay Area for 13 years. I guess you could live in the Las Gatos Hills. Not my cup of tea tho. Tampa sucks too. Redneck morons. But again, if you're rich, you can live well anywhere like the man said. I have a low opinion of most North American cities myself.

Montreal and NYC have to be the two best cities in the league imo. But if you play in Montreal, you have to accept the fact that everyone is going to want a piece of you, you won't be able to go anywhere without getting bugged by fans. Takes a certain type of personality to want to play here. LA/Anaheim would be great because nobody would know who you are and you could live in the hills, but still be near the beach. Just ask Pronger's wife.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
  #6
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Considering the salaries hockey players make and the fact that they rarely live in the "inner" city I suppose Detroit could be ok , downtown Detroit is pretty nasty though.

Anyway , all things considered...Phoenix would be on top of my list...the richer suburban areas of Phoenix are absolutely gorgeous!
and if a guy like gretz is courting you, how can you say no??

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
  #7
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Vancouver is boring, but pretty. San Jose sucks. I lived in the Bay Area for 13 years. Tampa sucks too. But again, if you're rich, you can live well anywhere like the man said.

Montreal and NYC have to be the two best cities in the league imo. LA/Anaheim would be great too because nobody would know who you are and you could live in the hills, but still be near the beach. Just ask Pronger's wife.


Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
  #8
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
I was born in Montreal.
I grew up in Detroit.
I lived in Chicago for 4 years
I now live in Edmonton

I would NOT live in Detroiot or Buffalo for love nor money.
Montreal is a much, much nicer city!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
  #9
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,105
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Montreal is a lovely city( except for those creepy churches everywhere).
Blame Duplessis (May He Rot In Hell) and his will to turn Quebec into a theocracy for that.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
  #10
habsforlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegimik View Post
I can't wait for your travel book to come out.

habsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
  #11
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Many times it is assumed that Montreal would be a poor place to live and play. IMHO Vancouver, San Jose and Tampa are the nicest. Montreal ranks up there. Detroit seems to keep its players and next to cleveland is the armpit of America.
How nice Montreal is has nothing to do with their ability to attract players. Montreal, like many Canadian cities (except worse, I think), has an atrociously high income tax for higher incomes. Many states in the U.S. (particularly Republican ones) have much lower income tax rates for athletes and higher incomes, or have none at all. When you sign for $10 million in Montreal, you're only going to see 5 of it in the end.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
  #12
Coco Fever
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Taxes and media...
Say what you want, media pressure is a reason why UFAs are not signing here.
They probably have media morons in other cities, but it looks like in Montreal they are in majority.

Repeating the same things again and again and...must not be fun...

"Yeah, I can't score...yes it's frustrating....yeah, I'd like to give more and be able to help the team more..." as if the player did not know he was not scoring!!! Anybody that played hockey here knows that sometimes things are not working...in French we say: la puck roule pas pour toé!

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
  #13
SerialSeb
Registered User
 
SerialSeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where hockey lives!
Country: Martinique
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
No he's right, lived there 7 years.

It's still no fun town

Especially if your from a town like Montreal.

No matter how much they try
eg: letting the bars on Granville close at 4

But it sure is nice and pretty
if your a granola type it's paradise.

Or if your really into asain culture. Man I miss the sushi

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
  #14
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Blame Duplessis (May He Rot In Hell) and his will to turn Quebec into a theocracy for that.
In fact he was selling Québec to the United States... is it better?

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
  #15
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
And I wanna know... I went many times and many times there... what's attractive in Ottawa?????????

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:46 PM
  #16
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
If I were a hockey player, I'd go to NYC. Man, me and my family discovered NYC last weekend. Fell in looooooove.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
  #17
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
And I wanna know... I went many times and many times there... what's attractive in Ottawa?????????
Well, Ottawa (and the Outaouais) has the best parks in the East. If you're a nature freak, you'd love te Parc de la Gatineau. Best by a mile. The scenic view is pretty interesting also.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
  #18
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Well, Ottawa (and the Outaouais) has the best parks in the East. If you're a nature freak, you'd love te Parc de la Gatineau. Best by a mile. The scenic view is pretty interesting also.
Is that a reason to want to go play in Ottawa??

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
  #19
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
Is that a reason to want to go play in Ottawa??
Nope, I think not. But I like the environment I live in. Much better than Blainville.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
  #20
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Nope, I think not. But I like the environment I live in. Much better than Blainville.
Oh, I guess that's why the NHL doesn't want to give a team to Blainville

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
  #21
Moester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Blame Duplessis (May He Rot In Hell) and his will to turn Quebec into a theocracy for that.
Well, considering that something like 12% of quebecers are going to church regularly and that most churches are closing down, there's not much chance of Quebec turning into a theorcracy in the near future.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:59 PM
  #22
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Well, considering that something like 12% of quebecers are going to church regularly and that most churches are closing down, there's not much chance of Quebec turning into a theorcracy in the near future.
Right... but it's always possible to have a kind of "coup d'état" (I don't know how you say it in english lol) lead by the clergy, and suddenly Québec falls into the church's hands... but I don't know who thinks like me, but I doubt this is gonne happen...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:12 PM
  #23
Kirk Muller*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Taxes and media...
Say what you want, media pressure is a reason why UFAs are not signing here.
They probably have media morons in other cities, but it looks like in Montreal they are in majority.

Repeating the same things again and again and...must not be fun...

"Yeah, I can't score...yes it's frustrating....yeah, I'd like to give more and be able to help the team more..." as if the player did not know he was not scoring!!! Anybody that played hockey here knows that sometimes things are not working...in French we say: la puck roule pas pour toé!
I don't get the idea of "media pressure". I think that francophone players feel it, but I don't think that anglophones and Europeans get any of this "pressure". Do you really think that someone like Markov or Kovalev gives a shyt what Michel Bergeron has to say? I don't understand why you need to be thick-skinned to play in Montréal. I understand for francophone players, but not at all for english and european players.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
  #24
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Vancouver is boring, but pretty. San Jose sucks. I lived in the Bay Area for 13 years. I guess you could live in the Las Gatos Hills. Not my cup of tea tho. Tampa sucks too. Redneck morons. But again, if you're rich, you can live well anywhere like the man said. I have a low opinion of most North American cities myself.

Montreal and NYC have to be the two best cities in the league imo. But if you play in Montreal, you have to accept the fact that everyone is going to want a piece of you, you won't be able to go anywhere without getting bugged by fans. Takes a certain type of personality to want to play here. LA/Anaheim would be great because nobody would know who you are and you could live in the hills, but still be near the beach. Just ask Pronger's wife.
Wow lol Van and Tampa are great lol

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
  #25
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Vancouver is boring, but pretty. San Jose sucks. I lived in the Bay Area for 13 years. I guess you could live in the Las Gatos Hills. Not my cup of tea tho. Tampa sucks too. Redneck morons. But again, if you're rich, you can live well anywhere like the man said. I have a low opinion of most North American cities myself.

Montreal and NYC have to be the two best cities in the league imo. But if you play in Montreal, you have to accept the fact that everyone is going to want a piece of you, you won't be able to go anywhere without getting bugged by fans. Takes a certain type of personality to want to play here. LA/Anaheim would be great because nobody would know who you are and you could live in the hills, but still be near the beach. Just ask Pronger's wife.
Most rednecks in Canada are hockey fans. No Maple Leafs jerseys at the opera. I once asked the posters at Habfans what books they had read in past year and there were no responses. lol

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.