HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque To Phoenix.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
  #51
digitalmonkey*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moll View Post
You attack me for no reason.....that just pathetic....I'm pretty sure your still in High school....we can see it by the way you talk... I'm just here too express my opinion.. i'm not here too attack people...

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
  #52
Moll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
So.....I was happy that we didn't sign Laraque for 1.2 millions that just a little bit too much...went you look at Barnaby signing for 800 000...i would have prefer him over laraque

Moll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
  #53
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
As opposed to Aaron Downey who can't even fight anymore?

There is a difference between and can't and doesn't. Georges doesn't partly because most guys in the league are totally afraid of him, where Aaron Downey can't fight anymore and has been KO'd more times than anyone in past few years.

I would much rather have Laraque than Downey, but that's just my opinion.
firstly, the league doesn't cater to fighting anymore. Downey is here because he gets paid close to the minimum while having the ability to play hockey...unlike laraque whose getting paid over twice as much.

so you're telling me that you'd have a fighter that doesn't fight anymore (because people are 'afraid of him) for 1.2 million as opposed to a guy that's a better skater, blocks shots, great in the dressing room and makes 800k less? well, i'm happy that bob doesn't go to you when he needs a 'capologist'

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
  #54
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
firstly, the league doesn't cator to fighting anymore. Downey is here because he gets paid close to the minimum while having the ability to play hockey...unlike laraque whose getting paid twice as much.

so you're telling me that you'd have a fighter that doesn't fight anymore (because people are 'afraid of him) for 1.2 million as opposed to a guy that's a better skater, blocks shots, great in the dressing room and makes 800k less? well, i'm happy that bob doesn't go to you when he needs a 'capologist' haha
Yeah, so you're the best poster this place has had in a long time.

You better be from the Montreal area, so we can all praise you at the next meetup. (We've had two meetups already where we go to La Cage Aux Sports and watch the Habbies)

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
  #55
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
i'm happy that bob doesn't go to you when he needs a 'capologist' haha

yea your right that's why hamiltion had a 450,000 dollar enforcer last season

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
  #56
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
yea your right that's why hamiltion had a 450,000 dollar enforcer last season
good thing hamilton's payroll doesn't count towards the cap, then.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:55 PM
  #57
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post
Yeah, so you're the best poster this place has had in a long time.

You better be from the Montreal area, so we can all praise you at the next meetup. (We've had two meetups already where we go to La Cage Aux Sports and watch the Habbies)
sadly im from edmonton.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
  #58
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
sadly im from edmonton.
oh well.

planes exist.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
  #59
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post
good thing hamilton's payroll doesn't count towards the cap, then.
lol, i was going to just say that.
last year was the first year of the new nhl, there were so many unknowns involving the league. i bet bob got guys like ivanans and vandermeer as emergency callups if the league started to go in a more 'goonish' direction. he was wrong, and neither of these guys are with the organization today because he has a good idea of the new league direction.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:59 PM
  #60
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post
oh well.

planes exist.
touche, i plan on coming down during 'reading week' or winter break to watch a game or two.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
  #61
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,331
vCash: 500
well hey, if we don't hate you by then, maybe we can have a meetup then!

anyways, yes, back to what's important here. GAINEY SUCKS FOR NOT SIGNING ANYONE!

Wait, what thread is this?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
  #62
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45 View Post

anyways, yes, back to what's important here. GAINEY SUCKS FOR NOT SIGNING ANYONE!

Wait, what thread is this?
the same as everyother thread on the habs page where a poster announces the signing of the opposition.

"OH CRAP, WE COULD HAVE HAD HAL GILL!!111 BOB WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!! EVERY TEAM IS GETTING BETTER WHILE THE HABS DO NOTHING!!!! WE'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WE'RE MEDIOCRE FOREVER"

i think we should all copy and paste ^
into every thread from here on out...
we won't be out of place.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
  #63
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I was a strong supporter of bringing Laraque in Mtl but that's pushing it... 2.4M for 2 years?

Laraque was quote telling media he knew he was going to need to take a paycutt to stay in the league... guess not.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
  #64
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moll View Post
I hope your gonna realize soon what a lot of people in hockey know.....Bob Gayney is not a good gm.....The player doesn't want to play for him...
you really don't know what you're laking about... you're discusting

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
  #65
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
firstly, the league doesn't cater to fighting anymore. Downey is here because he gets paid close to the minimum while having the ability to play hockey...unlike laraque whose getting paid over twice as much.

so you're telling me that you'd have a fighter that doesn't fight anymore (because people are 'afraid of him) for 1.2 million as opposed to a guy that's a better skater, blocks shots, great in the dressing room and makes 800k less? well, i'm happy that bob doesn't go to you when he needs a 'capologist'
So Downey is a better hockey player than Laraque? Really? Do you have stats to back that up?

Laraque: 490 43 68 111 826
Downey: 162 6 6 12 323

Yup, Downey is better.

I know the 800k more it would have taken is a bank breaker for this team considering all the free agents we'e signed.

I love your "great in the dressing room" comment. How many dressing rooms have you been in?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
  #66
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
So Downey is a better hockey player than Laraque? Really? Do you have stats to back that up?

Unfortunately for you, there are no stats which determine how good a hockey player one is.

And yes, Downey is a better player. He's a vastly superior skater, and by extension a better body checker, forechecker and defensive player.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
  #67
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Laraque is useless, Downey knows his role. Thats good enough for me and I wouldnt want an enforcer, playing fourth line minutes and taking stupid penalties making 1.2M.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
  #68
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Unfortunately for you, there are no stats which determine how good a hockey player one is.

And yes, Downey is a better player. He's a vastly superior skater, and by extension a better body checker, forechecker and defensive player.
Laraque is the better player and most teams if not all, would rather have him than Downey. Downey was pulled off the scrap heap last year by Monteal and Laraque has been with one team his whole career.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
  #69
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Chfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,779
vCash: 500
YES!!!!!! This is better than a signing

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
  #70
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Laraque is the better player and most teams if not all, would rather have him than Downey.
I'm glad you require others to provide you with facts and stats when you're such a willing writer of fiction.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
  #71
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,303
vCash: 500
wow... 1.2 million and a no-trade clause to a guy who can't keep up with the new NHL... I was willing to see him in Montreal for 500 000$.

You guys think that Laraque didn't sign him because he doesn't like Gainey or anything? lol. Do you really think that Gainey is an idiot and offered him a contract like that? come on! If gainey offered Laraque something, it was probably less than a million AND without a no-trade clause.

man, we don'T give a no-trade clause to a UFA 4th liner. I could understand when he was in Edmonton with all he did in the community.. but why did Phoenix give him that?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:55 PM
  #72
leoscam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
I Agree..we don't need him. We need a big scoring foward not another goon!

leoscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:55 PM
  #73
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
according to some idiots in the local media, but why the hell would we want a worthless goon that doesn't even fight anymore?
BTW, Laraque fought 11 times last year, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

If you live in EDM, wouldn't you already know this?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
  #74
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'm glad you require others to provide you with facts and stats when you're such a willing writer of fiction.
You honestly think most teams would rather have Downey than Laraque?

Laraque signs as a free agent and Downey is picked off waivers.

I like Downey too, but I'm not blind. Be reasonable.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
  #75
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Thank god. No more silly proposals

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.