HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Ballgarath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
There is no way capitals move Carlson, also the Canucks are already stacked at defence and don't have space.

Johannson/Brouwer
Neuvirth
Prospect
2nd

Luongo
Higgins
they can move ballard which would allow our Dmen to play their proper sides, though im sure your right and they wont move carlson but getting a decent RD isnt a bad idea , our LD that have played RD havent looked comfortable.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
There is no way capitals move Carlson, also the Canucks are already stacked at defence and don't have space.

Johannson/Brouwer
Neuvirth
Prospect
2nd

Luongo
Higgins
I would not do that. Right now I don't thinkw we should be adding any roster players going the other way unless were getting established top-line talent. Otherwise it's simply a lateral move.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would not do that. Right now I don't thinkw we should be adding any roster players going the other way unless were getting established top-line talent. Otherwise it's simply a lateral move.
If the Canucks are going to be adding a roster player, they need to make space. Think about it Kesler and Booth are coming back relatively soon. Even without making a move someone is gong to get pushed out on waivers.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Maclean and Kypreos said that during a recent Leaf game in an intermission on Sportsnet.
Because they've been SO spot on with everything else that has gone on with this situation before... right?

You know you're reaching when you use Maclean as a source.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
If the Canucks are going to be adding a roster player, they need to make space. Think about it Kesler and Booth are coming back relatively soon. Even without making a move someone is gong to get pushed out on waivers.
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Johansson/Brouwer
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Don't see the issue.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:37 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I was unaware that anyone that posted on this board had the authority to trade Roberto.
We'll all keyboard GMs, but a little realism into the thread never hurts and actually serves to ground the comments and suggestions a bit. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Johansson/Brouwer
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Don't see the issue.
Personally on my 4th line I would want a guy like Weise or Volpatti. In fact both have played quite well this season. Then there is malhotra, who I don't see Gillis waiving. So basically we waive both Wese and Volpatti to minors. Both tough guys, I think that would be a mistake. Don't think your lineup is realistic.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Simple solution, include Booth in any trade. Get rid of him and give his spot to somebody more deserving.

Not that I want Luongo traded because I do not.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
When Booth and Kesler come back, Volpatti and Ebbett will be sent back down to the AHL.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins/Burrows/Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins/Burrows/Kassian/Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Hansen/Higgins/Kassian
Weise

We have no need for Brouwer or Johansson at all. Johansson isn't an upgrade on anyone, and it's a dumb idea to trade Luongo for a 3rd liner (Brouwer) who will be very overpaid next season.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Canuck fans need to familiarize themselves with "The Art of Selling aka Selling 101" and the dont's:

- Don't appear too anxious to sell as it suggests that you are desperate, have limited number of buyers and thus puts you at the disadvantage of selling well below your asking price
The only Canucks fans who are anxious to deal him are the ones that have bought into the media hype but don't understand the on-ice product. Yes, having Luongo/Schneider could create problems, but the team is at its best with both goaltenders.

There isn't a deal out there that makes the Canucks a better team by dealing Luongo. The team is much stronger with Luongo/Schneider than with Schneider alone. Without Luongo, the team probably loses 10-16 points by having to play Schneider 60+ games and a non-starting-calibre goaltender for 22.

The lack of drop off between Luongo and Schneider has made Canucks fans forget how terrible back-up goaltenders really are, and the goaltenders are really the only thing separating the Canucks from the rest of the NW division. Gillis knows this, which is why he is asking for a king's ransom for Luongo, and why he is so unwilling to deal Luongo.

If I'm Gillis, the least I take is Neuvirth + Laich + Johansson. That's about the only package that makes us a better team out of the packages that I've read about, so that's the only package that's worth dealing Luongo.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Simple solution, include Booth in any trade. Get rid of him and give his spot to somebody more deserving.

Not that I want Luongo traded because I do not.
Problem is Booth is coming off injury and has not played this year, I'm not sure what value a team would give for him. For this season I would rather move Higgins if I was going to get low value on a forward I'm trading. This makes room for a roster spot, and I don't think Gillis will be resigning Higgins in the offseason, unless he is taking a pretty decent pay cut.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Problem is Booth is coming off injury and has not played this year, I'm not sure what value a team would give for him. For this season I would rather move Higgins if I was going to get low value on a forward I'm trading. This makes room for a roster spot, and I don't think Gillis will be resigning Higgins in the offseason, unless he is taking a pretty decent pay cut.
Unlike Booth Higgins stays healthy, he's also versatile, smart and actually fits our system and is way cheaper, Booth is the complete opposite a total wild card.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
When Booth and Kesler come back, Volpatti and Ebbett will be sent back down to the AHL.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins/Burrows/Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins/Burrows/Kassian/Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Hansen/Higgins/Kassian
Weise

We have no need for Brouwer or Johansson at all. Johansson isn't an upgrade on anyone, and it's a dumb idea to trade Luongo for a 3rd liner (Brouwer) who will be very overpaid next season.
I don't think Brouwer is a third liner. He is a power forward, something Gillis has been looking more of. Anyways it's true that this trade is not critical, but if a good prospect is coming back it could be good for future, while adding a solid power forward to the mix.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Unlike Booth Higgins stays healthy, he's also versatile, smart and actually fits our system and is way cheaper, Booth is the complete opposite a total wild card.
Not sure if your memory serves you so well, from a year ago. Higgins was out multiple times with a staff infection. Both were not extremely healthy last year.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
I don't think Brouwer is a third liner. He is a power forward, something Gillis has been looking more of. Anyways it's true that this trade is not critical, but if a good prospect is coming back it could be good for future, while adding a solid power forward to the mix.
We'll agree to disagree about Brouwer.
But nonetheless, if the only upside to a Luongo trade is to acquire a prospect, then we keep Luongo this season. Trade him at the draft/in the off-season.

Having a backup of his caliber is a very great asset/insurance.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
We'll agree to disagree about Brouwer.
But nonetheless, if the only upside to a Luongo trade is to acquire a prospect, then we keep Luongo this season. Trade him at the draft/in the off-season.

Having a backup of his caliber is a very great asset/insurance.
Only way Canucks are getting a significant upgrade is through a 3-way trade, so more of those should be proposed. Most teams acquiring Luongo are making the playoffs and may not be able to afford giving up some of their better players.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Personally on my 4th line I would want a guy like Weise or Volpatti. In fact both have played quite well this season. Then there is malhotra, who I don't see Gillis waiving. So basically we waive both Wese and Volpatti to minors. Both tough guys, I think that would be a mistake. Don't think your lineup is realistic.
I don't see any scenario where I would want Weise/Volpatti in the lineup over Higgins/Hansen. Most likely they would be our 13th/14th forwards anyways.

Higgins for Brouwer is a lateral move.

Unlsee we're doing something crazy, like Luongo/Schneider + Booth for Ovechkin, I see no reason to add a roster forward, when scoring is still our biggest need.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not sure if your memory serves you so well, from a year ago. Higgins was out multiple times with a staff infection. Both were not extremely healthy last year.
A staph infection isn't something you would worry about a player getting in the future, its a random freak occurrence, if he was out multiple times with one than either he wasn't taking care of it properly or he and the team didn't clean his equipment enough during that time.

Its not like a GM would say well that Higgins is a good player but we worry how much time he's going to miss because of a staph infection.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
leaffansince1961

Can someone explain something to me. I don't see how Van can keep Luongo. They have $60.4 M for only 14 players committed for next year. The cap is $64.3 M for next year. That leaves them $3.9 M to sign alot of players. Doesn't something HAVE to give in Van?

Keeping the current roster and signing all your UFA and RFA's to the same salary would put you $7.5 M over next years cap.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffansince1961 View Post
Can someone explain something to me. I don't see how Van can keep Luongo. They have $60.4 M for only 14 players committed for next year. The cap is $64.3 M for next year. That leaves them $3.9 M to sign alot of players. Doesn't something HAVE to give in Van?
Ballard(4.2 mil) will be gone. Keeping both goaltenders would kill our depth, but it is feasible. One of Luongo/Schneider will be traded before the start of next season, but until then we won't accept any lowball offers.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

Keeping the current roster and signing all your UFA and RFA's to the same salary would put you $7.5 M over next years cap.
Ballard (4.2), Malhotra (2.5), and Booth (4.25)/Higgins(1.9)/Raymond(2.275) if necessary can all be gone and replaced internally

I still believe that Luongo will get traded before the next season, but it's still an option

Old
02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
leaffansince1961

Quote:
Ballard(4.2 mil) will be gone. Keeping both goaltenders would kill our depth, but it is feasible. One of Luongo/Schneider will be traded before the start of next season, but until then we won't accept any lowball offers.
Ballard is just the start. You're going to have to trim about 10 mil. Can't this be considered as Russian Roulette?

If you think the offers are low now, wait until the off season.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
rune74

Quote:
Ballard is just the start. You're going to have to trim about 10 mil. Can't this be considered as Russian Roulette?

As a van fan I would like to take the time to thank all the leafs fans in their concern for our team, however, we will not being giving you Lu for free. Thank you.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

I really don't believe they will get much lower, cause the offers right now are players that are marginal improvements over what we have.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
leaffansince1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Ballard (4.2), Malhotra (2.5), and Booth (4.25)/Higgins(1.9)/Raymond(2.275) if necessary can all be gone and replaced internally

I still believe that Luongo will get traded before the next season, but it's still an option
Forgetting about who's leaving, there is only 3.9 mill to sign 10 players. Isn't that below the league min salary for each player?

Closed Thread