HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I hate to give Boychuk hell, but he plays so slow if he doesn't have open space. Use the speed, kid! Use it to go through people. Stop/start and play big. He plays so small out there.

Old
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Geno shouldn't still be taking the same stupid retaliation penalties. He has a reputation and everyone knows it. There are no more excuses for it.

Also, SHOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT

Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Curious as to why. Other than a couple nice scoring chances they both seemed pretty invisible. And whatever good things Malkin did the lack of discipline negated it IMO.
Malkin played poorly but I thought Sid was actually pretty solid. He had 6 shots on goal and was our only real threat offensively. Dupuis and Kunitz were black holes of suck this game. They looked like they had earlier in the year prior to this recent 5 game win streak.

Sid did well when he had the puck today, which wasn't often because our d couldn't break it out and Kunitz/Dupuis were ****.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
So you're telling me the stupid slashing penalties and retaliatory penalties (especially by Geno) spurned on by frustration, and the unsportsmanlike penalty for trashing the ref weren't deserved?

The Vitale penalty, yes. That was an awful call. But the temper tantrum this team threw today because of the refs was embarrassing.
thank you, I'm not alone. Wasn't really a tantrum, but we just looked like we gave up about half way through the game and looked flat

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Geno shouldn't still be taking the same stupid retaliation penalties. He has a reputation and everyone knows it. There are no more excuses for it.
Agreed. He's a vet now in the league and needs to be smarter.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I don't understand how a single one of our defensemen gets a + this game. They were awful, we couldn't break out a puck to save our life.

I'd give a + to Sid, he had 6 shots and was playing spirited hockey. Fleury was great. Beyond that, I can't really think of any positives.

Reffing was not why we lost this game, anyone complaining about that is just trying to delude themselves because the Pens played an awful hockey game and deserved to lose.

Just stop. I never complain about officiating, but playing awful hockey is a byproduct of rules that have been established over a 100 year period are now being changed depending on a ref's mood.

Today's the one day where you put the blame almost squarely on a third party who has way too much influence in deciding games.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Yeah Orpik was really bad today too. Our entire defense was bad except for Paul Martin who was mostly good up until the third period where he decided to be as bad as everyone else was playing.
I actually thought Despres was o'k. Not great, but you still can see the areas of progress, today in his offensive game and in his 1 on 1 play against a puck carrier. For guys like him and Borts, I readily admit to using a different standard. With them, I just want to see a steady progress trend line (yeah, ups and downs are part of it), because it's April that matters.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I can't say the Pens played bad or good because the flow of the game was eaten alive by the refs all day. I thought they looked hungry in the first and played great. Then 11 penalties later, I don't know what happened.

Old
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
When was this supposed team tantrum? I saw Malkin take some stupid penalties. That's about it.
Geno took multiple, avoidable, stupid penalties. Orpik and Neal chirped the refs (which just absolutely doesn't fly this season, as evidenced by the amount of unsportsmanlike penalties around the league). The entire team lost composure today. Temper tantrum might not have been the right word, but they absolutely stopped playing solid hockey and let their heads get out of the game.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I can't say the Pens played bad or good because the flow of the game was eaten alive by the refs all day. I thought they looked hungry in the first and played great. Then 11 penalties later, I don't know what happened.
twelve I thought

Old
02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
WarriorScholar

- Malkin with his occasional oleyyyy bull****tt

Old
02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Geno took multiple, avoidable, stupid penalties. Orpik and Neal chirped the refs (which just absolutely doesn't fly this season, as evidenced by the amount of unsportsmanlike penalties around the league). The entire team lost composure today.
Neal's slash was an unfortunate case where the stick broke. It wasn't a retaliatory penalty.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:02 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post

Also, SHOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT
Thats just part of genos game its probably never gonna change. We just gotta deal with it.

Old
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
When was this supposed team tantrum? I saw Malkin take some stupid penalties. That's about it.
Dont forget Orpik laughing at Bobby Butler taking a shot to the leg, and then calling the ref, I believe, a "poopyhead".

Old
KIRK

Quote:
I think it goes beyond Malkin today. When Dupuis is doing his old Matt Cooke impersonation, you know there are going to be problems.

As I said, I'm still chalking this one up to **** happens. And, as I said, Brodeur was on.

Old
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I can only the imagine the cry of "golden boys" or "Bettman's team" if those same exact penalties were called on the opposite team.
You mean they didn't cry during the second period against the Capitals?

Old
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Curious as to why. Other than a couple nice scoring chances they both seemed pretty invisible. And whatever good things Malkin did the lack of discipline negated it IMO.
I thought Sid was flying, at least early in the game. Also made some nice plays on his limited PK role. And for Malkin, maybe its just that a few shifts stood out but there were shifts where he really impressed. Of course, then he did...well we all saw. But especially considering how much PK we were on, and how hard it was to get any flow I thought they both had their good moments. Just no puck luck, and Marty played well.

Old

- Todays game. Record it to DVD, make two copies and then burn the both of them. Bad PIMs and botched clearing chances.

Games like this happen. I just don't want to see any bad habits forming.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Yep. Exactly. I hate the argument that "they played bad" at the end of a game when they were on the PK for more than an entire period when many of the penalties not only looked like they weren't penalties, but the Devils were doing many of the same things and... shockingly... not getting called for it.

There was no flow and rhythm to the Pens offensive game after the first 10 minutes of the first period. It's not whining or complaining, just a fact.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

We should also take into consideration that we're missing 2 of our top 4 defensemen. .

When you play a better, structured team like the Devils and are getting hammered with penalties like the Pens did tonight, guys like Letang and Niskanen are really missed.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
I hate to give Boychuk hell, but he plays so slow if he doesn't have open space. Use the speed, kid! Use it to go through people. Stop/start and play big. He plays so small out there.
That's because he is small / can't go through people without getting knocked on his rear. He needs more open space than he's ever likely to get, in order to be effective.

Quote:
Malkin played poorly but I thought Sid was actually pretty solid. He had 6 shots on goal and was our only real threat offensively.
Maybe but I wouldn't give Sid a + today just for getting some SOG. I give Marty credit as he was good today but I didn't notice Sid dictating the play out there at all IMO.

Old
WarriorScholar

+ in previous years , we hated losing the first of a back to back because the next game being the backup goalie. Those days are over.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
No doubt the refs were bad, but at least half of those penalties were self-inflicted wounds. Pens need to be more disciplined and stop getting frustrated so easily.

I'm all for fining guys who embellish boarding calls. Not only does it make guys lighter in the wallet, but it embarrasses them as well.
Fine, then call half the penalties.

And they weren't getting frustrated "easily". Devils had nothing 5 on 5, and just when it seemed there's a flow to the game again, there's another nonsense call that goes ONE way. There's only so much you can take.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:05 PM
bradshaw06

Really interested to see how they come out tomorrow. Either with fire or really flat because of today.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

I honestly thought fleury looked shaky. The first goal he spazzed out and fell down and as a result couldn't get over to save it. The second one, ok hard to stop that. The third one was kind of weak as well.

Closed Thread