HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
It's hilarious that people are upset at Therrien over some garbage 4th line energy player who has only shown that he has no brain and lost us 2 pts from his 10min/game this season. Quite the feat really.

Therrien almost HAD to come out and lambast him. Otherwise he just looks like a clown. One time he talks to white and tell him to stop being dumb. White doesn't listen, and screws us over completely against Ottawa. So Therrien healthy scratched him for a while hoping he'd understand. The very next game he does something even more selfish, stupid and cost us a point. Therrien has to say something here. Jacques Martin is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
what about the no excuses policy?
It's still valid. White has no excuse for being this dumb.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Maybe Therrien needs to figure out why the penalty kill got so much worse than it was under the mentorship of Randy Cunneyworth.
Lack of Hal Gill?

I think the habs need Tinordi and Ellis to be ready soon. Too many offensive Ds not enough shutdown guys.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's hilarious that people are upset at Therrien over some garbage 4th line energy player who has only shown that he has no brain and lost us 2 pts from his 10min/game this season. Quite the feat really.
What was White first incident? The beating who was it again with a dangerous bodycheck. Did anybody had a problem with that? Nobody. That's what "being tough to play against" also means. Not only doing the trap all over. Then came the Ottawa game, which White was indeed dumb. Strangely, tons of players are being dumb WITHOUT being sat out immediately the game after, which is what happened to White. So he sits, goes back and does another stupid thing. Problem is that CLEARLY the message of sitting him out after the Ottawa day didn't work. Yes, White might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, yet, he is young. And what happens to young guy who's only feature is to play tough? It's to play tough at the wrong moment. What do we expect from kids? A flawless job? Thing is, a young Gally might miss a defensive assignment that will cost a goal. Not as spectacular as a beatdown, but we might nonethless have to blame those kids too for their inexperience but somehow, White can't be absolved from anything.

I guess this is what happens to a team who has no clue of how to be tough. Somehow, the ones that are being tough have no choice but to overthink it and overdo it. Reason why Prust is on top of the penalty minutes. Same for White. Yet, every kid that will be making 1, 2, or 3 mistakes out there will be put on the ice the next shift so he'd learn from it. Here....we sit them out and ridiculized them on national TV. I guess we don't deserve tougher guys....any chance we can trade Ryan White for Ben Maxwell?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What was White first incident? The beating who was it again with a dangerous bodycheck. Did anybody had a problem with that? Nobody. That's what "being tough to play against" also means. Not only doing the trap all over. Then came the Ottawa game, which White was indeed dumb. Strangely, tons of players are being dumb WITHOUT being sat out immediately the game after, which is what happened to White. So he sits, goes back and does another stupid thing. Problem is that CLEARLY the message of sitting him out after the Ottawa day didn't work. Yes, White might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, yet, he is young. And what happens to young guy who's only feature is to play tough? It's to play tough at the wrong moment. What do we expect from kids? A flawless job? Thing is, a young Gally might miss a defensive assignment that will cost a goal. Not as spectacular as a beatdown, but we might nonethless have to blame those kids too for their inexperience but somehow, White can't be absolved from anything.

I guess this is what happens to a team who has no clue of how to be tough. Somehow, the ones that are being tough have no choice but to overthink it and overdo it. Reason why Prust is on top of the penalty minutes. Same for White. Yet, every kid that will be making 1, 2, or 3 mistakes out there will be put on the ice the next shift so he'd learn from it. Here....we sit them out and ridiculized them on national TV. I guess we don't deserve tougher guys....any chance we can trade Ryan White for Ben Maxwell?
come on now...

game is tied when the kid goes into the box, and when he comes out of it, we're trailing by two.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
come on now...

game is tied when the kid goes into the box, and when he comes out of it, we're trailing by two.
Perhaps, but I think that WS's point is that there's 55 other minutes in the game.
White didn't help our situation but I don't think it's fair to really blame him for the entire loss.
It's not like teams don't come back from 2 goal deficits.

But I have no problem with Therrien did and White hasn't really shown that he's a must keep here. So he better step it up.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
What was White first incident? The beating who was it again with a dangerous bodycheck. Did anybody had a problem with that? Nobody. That's what "being tough to play against" also means. Not only doing the trap all over.
I was the first one to cheer. I think Fleishman deserved it, and as I said back then, it was done at the perfect time when we had an insurmountable lead. But still, I don't think it's something people do anymore, just drop the gloves and start pounding on a non fighter. Regardless, he sent a message and I supported it.

Quote:
Then came the Ottawa game, which White was indeed dumb. Strangely, tons of players are being dumb WITHOUT being sat out immediately the game after, which is what happened to White.
The reason why tons of players can be dumb without being sat is because they tend to bring something else to the table than energy.

If Plekanec goes ahead and snows the other goalie and costs us a game, we know that he'll come back and win us maybe 5-6 games.

White ? No. White is never gonna win us games. So he sure as heck should be careful not to lose them for us since it's one of the precious few things that is expected of him. Fourth line energy players just cannot afford to cost their team the game with selfish decisions. They really can't because they're easily replaceable by someone who isn't brain dead.

Quote:
So he sits, goes back and does another stupid thing. Problem is that CLEARLY the message of sitting him out after the Ottawa day didn't work.

Yes, White might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, yet, he is young. And what happens to young guy who's only feature is to play tough? It's to play tough at the wrong moment. What do we expect from kids? A flawless job? Thing is, a young Gally might miss a defensive assignment that will cost a goal. Not as spectacular as a beatdown, but we might nonethless have to blame those kids too for their inexperience but somehow, White can't be absolved from anything.
I didn't say a word against White after the Ottawa game. As you said, young players make mistakes, especially guys like White who play on the edge. I understood White went over the edge and that it was to be expected at some point. But doing it again the very next game he's reinserted ? That's where I draw the line.

To me, there is a gigantic difference between making a mistake on a play where you have a fraction of second to make the right decision and doing what White did (twice in back to back games nonetheless).

One is an honest mistake, the other is a lack of any thought. He either does not have the capacity to think while he is on the ice, or he does not want to.

We aren't talking about a missed defensive assignment here. It's not just a mistake in a fraction of second where you just fail to make the right choice. That happens to all players. We're talking about something that is 100% entirely in his control.

I honestly don't understand your argument of White being young and having to learn when to play tough. There's nothing to learn here, it's just common sense. It's not like there's a playbook where he has to learn "when we're up by 2 goals on the road with 10 min left in the third, I'll not let myself be goaded by Ott". It's just common sense.

Quote:
Do you see me complain about Prust? It's possible to be tough and not be a complete moron.

What bothers me the most is that he did it the very next game he was back. So if we sit him 5-10 games and put him back into the line up.. how long will it take before he does it again ? He does not appear to have the capacity to think on the ice. A player like him can't afford to just be dumb like that. We had that with Bégin... it didn't get better with time. Some guy are just dumb and will do dumb things. It's not even a matter of "learning". What is there to learn here ? It's common sense. You have it or you don't. I could have understood if he had done it again 10 games after having returned to the line up. He would have gotten complacent and forgotten about his Ottawa mistake, and he would have crossed the line again. That would be understandable. But the next game ? To me, it's retarded is what it is.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Habblues

I am NOT happy with the way Therrien handled the Ryan White situation. Wed nite against the Bruins Ryan had to sit in the stands and could only watch as the GOON lucic took liberties with Markov, high sticking him in the face then he slashes him behind the legs where there is NO padding....then the goon turns around and does it later on in the 3rd period ! I was shocked that Prust didn`t take care of the coward Lucic. Prust must have a bad hand or some injury.....SO White is inserted the next night. Ott was gooning Gionta so White takes care of him. I LOVED it !! That`s what his role is....First of all Ott should have received an interference penalty and/or their bench should have received a call for sticking a hand into the mix from the bench......White should not have gotten 4 min.......We were not happy that we got pushed around last year like a bumch of school girls and now we`re not happy because we are fighting back........I love it !!!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Lot of people seem to be upset at MT. Myself, I don't have any problems with him just yet. He hasn't been perfect, he has made mistakes here and there. It happens, we are all human. But, the good far outweight the bad as to what he has brought to this team thus far this season. We could be 8-2 right now rather than 6-4. Can you really complain at a 8-2 start? we got hosed due to the play of White, and the hiccups of a 2 minute span, and a horrible call to cost us last game.

I can understand people wanting to be tough on MT because it's the "easy" thing to do. Does he deserve some criticism? of course, every coach deserves some, not even Scotty went without any sort of criticism. But he has been a big asset to our team thus far, and deserves praise if anything.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:07 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I am NOT happy with the way Therrien handled the Ryan White situation. Wed nite against the Bruins Ryan had to sit in the stands and could only watch as the GOON lucic took liberties with Markov, high sticking him in the face then he slashes him behind the legs where there is NO padding....then the goon turns around and does it later on in the 3rd period ! I was shocked that Prust didn`t take care of the coward Lucic. Prust must have a bad hand or some injury.....SO White is inserted the next night. Ott was gooning Gionta so White takes care of him. I LOVED it !! That`s what his role is....First of all Ott should have received an interference penalty and/or their bench should have received a call for sticking a hand into the mix from the bench......White should not have gotten 4 min.......We were not happy that we got pushed around last year like a bumch of school girls and now we`re not happy because we are fighting back........I love it !!!!
Maybe he should send a fax first

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:08 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

Got a stupid penalty for holding the stick and told the ref to piss off. Double minor, two goals. Lost the that game all by himself. The 4 minutes for being dragged in by Ott was beyond stupid. Changed the momentum of the game and cost another two points. I like White but he's cost the Habs four points. We might miss the playoff because of his stupidity.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:27 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Perhaps, but I think that WS's point is that there's 55 other minutes in the game.
White didn't help our situation but I don't think it's fair to really blame him for the entire loss.

But I have no problem with Therrien did and White hasn't really shown that he's a must keep here. So he better step it up.
It is fair to say thought that his stupidity significantly decreased our chance of winning the twogames where he screwed up.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
come on now...

Where did I mention it was fine? Where? I did call it "dumb" didn't I? But enough to automatically sit him the next games? For one incident? Again, if it works for him, should work for the others. Besides....I stopped counting ALL the dumb penalties every freakin NHL player took that didn't translated into a 2-goal deficit...that's because they have something called....a good PK. Maybe the coaches should concentrate in addressing this....

Quote:
The reason why tons of players can be dumb without being sat is because they tend to bring something else to the table than energy. If Plekanec goes ahead and snows the other goalie and costs us a game, we know that he'll come back and win us maybe 5-6 games. White ? No. White is never gonna win us games. So he sure as heck should be careful not to lose them for us since it's one of the precious few things that is expected of him. Fourth line energy players just cannot afford to cost their team the game with selfish decisions. They really can't because they're easily replaceable by someone who isn't brain dead.
White fills a void that this team doesn't have. He won't score you 3 goals, but White and Co brings that energy level and agitating level that this team rarely had. He clearly ads to the winning possibility of this team, not alone but as complementary to the Plekanec and Co. He's obviously working on a shorter leash compared to the stars of this team. Of course. But there's a freakin limit to the length of that leash. For example....right now....I'd sit Armstrong WAY MORE than I'd sit White. But Armstrong is a vet...and a Therrien protege....Seems to me like it's vet protection once again....Yet, Armstrong DOESN'T bring the physical element and he's totally off most of the time that he plays PK which is why we should play Eller in those situations. But with Armstrong in the lineup. we play a guy who clearly won't be re-signed next year and who shows us why Toronton didn't like him.

Quote:
I honestly don't understand your argument of White being young and having to learn when to play tough. There's nothing to learn here, it's just common sense. It's not like there's a playbook where he has to learn "when we're up by 2 goals on the road with 10 min left in the third, I'll not let myself be goaded by Ott". It's just common sense.
Common sense is all about the strategy that you use in a hockey game. You have time to study it, you apply it, you think the game and how it should be played. Being a "tough" guy or agitator, is mostly about reactions and adaptation. Not sure we can apply any "common sense" here 'cause it's often about how fast the game and how fast you react to certain situation. And experience only dictates how great you are at reacting vs taking the number and react later.

Quote:
Do you see me complain about Prust? It's possible to be tough and not be a complete moron.
No. What's it is called is experience....Tough to pretend that White is indeed a complete moron since we don't know him and since he does seem to know what he did was wrong. What he need to control is his temper, is his lack of inexperience in those situations at a higher level, and it's his tendancy of bring the tough of the team. I guess he doesn't want to leave Prust with all those assignments so he's taking it to the other level which he shouldn't. Let's hope it comes down with experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Got a stupid penalty for holding the stick and told the ref to piss off. Double minor, two goals. Lost the that game all by himself. The 4 minutes for being dragged in by Ott was beyond stupid. Changed the momentum of the game and cost another two points. I like White but he's cost the Habs four points. We might miss the playoff because of his stupidity.
So White told the ref to piss off...which is something EVERY player is doing but White is also an easy target for the refs. I mean, didn't Therrien, who is a supposed changed man, said to a ref "**** off" when the ref was going to the bench trying to explain his penalty? How disrespectful is that? Don't you think it's not going to be talked amongst officials? Is it that an obvious gesture of lack of respect for an official that, contrary to some others, was willing to talk to the coach to explain himself?

Oh and if in the end the explanation is that White cost us a playoff spot...that would be the mother of excuses....which aren't allowed anymore. I would also tend to think that the PK is also something we should have look at but that's just me.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Where did I mention it was fine? Where? I did call it "dumb" didn't I? But enough to automatically sit him the next games? For one incident? Again, if it works for him, should work for the others. Besides....I stopped counting ALL the dumb penalties every freakin NHL player took that didn't translated into a 2-goal deficit...that's because they have something called....a good PK. Maybe the coaches should concentrate in addressing this....
Do you know for a fact that they are not working on the PK???

Your reaction to all this is very weird. White made mistakes and paid a fair price for them. I don't see the big deal at all.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
I think people's dislike for Therrien before he got the job is clouding their judgment. I LOVE White a lot as a player for this team, yet I am okay with what Therrien did. I am sure that Therrien is a fan of White, but he wants White to be a responsible player. If White can be more disciplined, he can be a very good 4th liner for this team, we need a guy like him, and I think Therrien knows it.

Yet, I'd be more impressed with Therrien if he plays White tonight, and scratches Armstrong instead for Moen. White is a good humble guy, he just needs to learn when to act out and when not to, he's still learning a lot in this league. I'm sure that White "gets it now", he is pretty upset about it and expects to be sitting tonight, how great for his confidence and his play would it be to give him another shot tonight? I hope that's what happens.
Excellent post. I agree on all counts. I think Therrien playing White tonight would be an excellent move, assuming of course he "tears a strip" off White before hand and gives him a not so subtle hint that if he ****s up again, he'll be a healthy scratch until hell freezes over.

Edit: I like Therrien's work so far with the team overall. Not sure he's smart enough or insightful enough to do this though. Scratching Whilte seems like the far more likely move by Therrien, and he may feel it's his only option.

Last edited by FisherKing: 02-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.
FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

White fills a void that this team doesn't have. He won't score you 3 goals, but White and Co brings that energy level and agitating level that this team rarely had. He clearly ads to the winning possibility of this team, not alone but as complementary to the Plekanec and Co. He's obviously working on a shorter leash compared to the stars of this team. Of course. But there's a freakin limit to the length of that leash. For example....right now....I'd sit Armstrong WAY MORE than I'd sit White. But Armstrong is a vet...and a Therrien protege....Seems to me like it's vet protection once again....Yet, Armstrong DOESN'T bring the physical element and he's totally off most of the time that he plays PK which is why we should play Eller in those situations. But with Armstrong in the lineup. we play a guy who clearly won't be re-signed next year and who shows us why Toronton didn't like him.

Common sense is all about the strategy that you use in a hockey game. You have time to study it, you apply it, you think the game and how it should be played. Being a "tough" guy or agitator, is mostly about reactions and adaptation. Not sure we can apply any "common sense" here 'cause it's often about how fast the game and how fast you react to certain situation. And experience only dictates how great you are at reacting vs taking the number and react later.

No. What's it is called is experience....Tough to pretend that White is indeed a complete moron since we don't know him and since he does seem to know what he did was wrong. What he need to control is his temper, is his lack of inexperience in those situations at a higher level, and it's his tendancy of bring the tough of the team. I guess he doesn't want to leave Prust with all those assignments so he's taking it to the other level which he shouldn't. Let's hope it comes down with experience.

So White told the ref to piss off...which is something EVERY player is doing but White is also an easy target for the refs. I mean, didn't Therrien, who is a supposed changed man, said to a ref "**** off" when the ref was going to the bench trying to explain his penalty? How disrespectful is that? Don't you think it's not going to be talked amongst officials? Is it that an obvious gesture of lack of respect for an official that, contrary to some others, was willing to talk to the coach to explain himself?

Oh and if in the end the explanation is that White cost us a playoff spot...that would be the mother of excuses....which aren't allowed anymore. I would also tend to think that the PK is also something we should have look at but that's just me.
After all this being said. The logical conclusion is to throw MT under the bus. Logical. The team is 6-3-1 and therefore MT is doing a descent job. I'm fed up of everybody on here complaining about MT. For the first time in years we have a fun team to watch. On top of that we are playing like playoff contenters. There's not space for White on the team if he continues taking these stupid penalties.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Habaddict

Therrien said that he spoke to White about taking bad penalties before
the first Ottawa game. So unless someone is directly calling him a liar, they
should not refer to those 4 minutes against Ottawa as the first incident. Or
one mistake. We are talking about three incidents of increasing magnitude.
And White has only dressed for seven games.

At this point, if White sits until there is an injury,or at least till some one
else really deserves to be benched, I wouldn't mind. I do realize playing his role
isn't easy. But he still has to find a way to do it effectively without costing
his team too much. That's what he's paid an NHL salary for.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Therrien said that he spoke to White about taking bad penalties before
the first Ottawa game. So unless someone is directly calling him a liar, they
should not refer to those 4 minutes against Ottawa as the first incident. Or
one mistake. We are talking about three incidents of increasing magnitude.
And White has only dressed for seven games.

At this point, if White sits until there is an injury,or at least till some one
else really deserves to be benched, I wouldn't mind. I do realize playing his role
isn't easy. But he still has to find a way to do it effectively without costing
his team too much. That's what he's paid an NHL salary for.
Bravo. Well said. White screwed up and he gets benched. MT did what any good coach would do.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Some guys just don't have much capacity for thinking when they're on the ice and they inevitably end up doing something retarded. Ex : Bégin.

In that situation Ott went low on White and White went crazy. He didn't even look in Ott's eyes to see if he had a partner, he just dropped his gloves and started swinging.. against one of the worst pest/agitator in the league known for turtling when his team was up by 2 in the third and after having been scratched for the same gesture. As I type this I still can't believe he was dumb enough to do what he did. It's shocking. Usually when a child puts his hand on the stove, he never does it again.

To me, experience won't fix that. Maybe next game he will be more subdued, but in french we have a saying I love.. chassez le naturel et il revient au galop. Best translation I found was : What's bred in the bone will come out in the flesh.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

most of it was played already.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:31 PM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

You don't tell these slimy sycophants what you really think aboot your guys, you always defend them in public.

They'll love you for sticking up for them and they'll do anything for you.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
most of it was played already.
But point still stands, a game shouldn't be determined over 5minutes.
And the PK is part of the game, improving that is more important than blaming someone that will take bad penalties.
Not a game goes by when a dumb penalty isn't taken. It's part of the game. How you deal with them is more important.

Not excusing White's ways, but I don't think we have to turn it into a huge thing and make it seem as if White is really the reason why we lost 2 games.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
But point still stands, a game shouldn't be determined over 5minutes.
Tell that to Steve Bernier and the New Jersey Devils.

A game can be decided in 5 minutes. When two teams are evenly matched, getting a 2 goal lead is a difficult mission. Coming back from a 2 goal deficit is harder still. NHL has so much parity now that a long 4-5 min PP can easily end up being a huge difference maker.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Do you know for a fact that they are not working on the PK???

Your reaction to all this is very weird. White made mistakes and paid a fair price for them. I don't see the big deal at all.
Working on it and really addressing it is 2 different things. My reaction is all about beint patient enough so that the "kids" learn in the greatest environnement possible. We are not talking about Sean Avery here. Or anybody who's a vet who keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over again. People keeps saying that White is just dumb. Well a dumb player would have find excuses for his actions. He woudl have said that Ott said to go and eventually didn't. Would have said that he was there to protect himself and his teamates and so on. What he did instead was to immediately know that he made a mistake....again. He knows it. Not that dumb to me. But a kid learning his role in a tough environment. What I suspect will happen is that we are going to kill every ounce of agitating he has, which will eventually make him lose his confidence and then he'll be out of here. I hate to see this happening to a whole lot of young players we had...White is also in that category. Fortunately for us, not as talented as most of the others were so he won't come back and bite us...yet, will end up pretty serviceable. Understand we are not there yet, but pretty sure we might not be that far back.

If sitting him once more will finally make him understand....Well. Great. And I'll congratulate MT for doing the right move. But this hasn't been proven yet.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

wrong thread..

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Roulin

Starting the kids against Kulemin is a questionable decision. If you're playing power on power, wouldn't you want them to face the Kadri line?

edit: ...and Therrien does the same on another faceoff...

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote