HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Weekes with the team on Opening night

View Poll Results: Is Weekes a Ranger on opening night?
YES 67 67.00%
No 33 33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Is Weekes with the team on Opening night

With the addition of two Minor league goalies are the Rangers poised to promote Montoya this season. Weekes could be considered a luxary item on a team that claims they are rebuilding. I just have a feeling that this offseason he is going to be the guy that is traded. I see two spots that might be perfect fits for him...

1. St Louis

JD raved about his play during the season and they need a goalie.

2. Florida

With Alex Auld poised to take over the #1 spot Keenen might want a nice net in case Auld fails.

Just something to think about during a pretty boring (but good boring) offseason..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I hope not.

Waste of $$$ for a back-up.

Personally, if they don't feel that Valli can step up and be a stop-gap back-up, than I sign Mclennen for league minimum or a bit above it and save 1.5M or so.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I don't want him, but I think he will still be a Ranger on opening night.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think he'll be a Ranger as well. Most of the teams that need goalies have already traded for them. And it seems like Detroit would rather have Belfour than trade for Biron or Giguere. The only way I see Weekes getting moved is mid-season if a team has catastrophic goaltender injuries and the Rangers find a replacement.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:36 PM
DontStaal

i dont see the point of signing vali if we're not gonna end up trading weekes. Holt proved that he can be a goaltender and starter in the AHL. My guess is that he splits time with Montoya in the A. The question is what happens to Vali and Weekes. Well, Stephen V came of a good season in Russia with - i believe- a 1.9 something GAA. I remember when he got a shutout playing for the rangers in 03-04 and i thought for sure he'd be with the big club... so maybe Sather and Co. think he's ready now. As for Weekes, his contract is way too big for a back-up. let him go to an Eastern Conf team so that we can score on him.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Larry Melnyk

If not Weekes, the backup come opening night is not on our roster because we don't have anybody qualified enough for the job right now...

ANd I can't see Weekes' value being too high right now so my be is he stays and hopefully his play and injuries make him a commodity by the deadline

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
If not Weekes, the backup come opening night is not on our roster because we don't have anybody qualified enough for the job right now...

ANd I can't see Weekes' value being too high right now so my be is he stays and hopefully his play and injuries make him a commodity by the deadline
My thoughts exactly. This organization is NOT going into the season with the sum total of 9 NHL games played by all the goalies in the organization not named Lundqvist. Especially given the fact that Montoya is coming off surgery.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
1. St Louis

JD raved about his play during the season and they need a goalie.

2. Florida

With Alex Auld poised to take over the #1 spot Keenen might want a nice net in case Auld fails.
Neither of these teams are going to trade for a goalie who isn't elite. Giguere is really the only name out there that probably intrigues either team. Why trade for Weekes when you can sign Legace or Biron and not give up a thing?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 02:19 AM
eco's bones

Voted No but if he is he won't be on the team at the end of the season unless he's on the injured list.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:23 AM
WheresBarnaby

Almost definetly, especially since he hasn't been moved during the post July 1st flury which is now just about ended. Not saying a deal won't still be struck, but it's not very likely.

I like Weeks, but he's a 1st string goalie playing second fiddle, which is going to show itself somehow. I don't see how he won't get fustrated eventually, which may force a trade. He'll be rusty and inconsistent from not playing enough, which will affect his play like it did last season. At some point managment, or Kevin himself will decide to move on, I think.

To answer the quesion I do see him coming back, but I could see him getting moved within the first few months of the season.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Ace2008

interesting point of view of Weekes being 1st string....Forecaster has him rated 20th best starter going into last season...

Perhaps playoff success makes people forget the reg season marathon>?

He's good against certain teams and falling behind against others.

A solid backup who can occassionally shine during playoffs... worth the 1.9 mill...maybe @ the deadline.

Q: If former NYR D.Cloutier is worth a 2nd round Draft choice*in a deep 2007* + a conditional draft choice *(conditions unknown
Is Weekes worth a 2nd round pick by himself?

Probably best to Package Weekes)+Rozs+Hossa for a solid young Pwr Winger(Dan Fritsche) and a 2nd rounder.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 05:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think he will be with the rangers, but i dont want him there. hes not that great as a backup.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:14 AM
rangerjoe

I just don't get it - Kevin Weekes is the PERFECT backup goalie. You want to leave10-15 games out there to a guy like Jamie McClenan who hasn't started a game in 10 months? You want to leave those 20-30pts behind a young goalie that hasn't had a lot of NHL experience?

What the hell is so wrong with Kevin Weekes? If my memory serves me, I recall him playing pretty well when called upon.

Anyone who doesn't consider Weekes a good backup - who would you sign, GM's of the message boards?

Here's a guy who loves playing here, wants to play here...You guys are never happy. Get over it...

RangerJoe

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Neither of these teams are going to trade for a goalie who isn't elite. Giguere is really the only name out there that probably intrigues either team. Why trade for Weekes when you can sign Legace or Biron and not give up a thing?
Aebischer and Esche will more than likely be moved before the season starts. They are expensive back up options and more than capable to start for these teams. SJ may move one of Toskala/Nabokov and LA has Cloutier, Labarbara and Garon. There are a number of goalies in that Weekes range that will be available this summer so I don't see anyone bowling over the Rangers with offers. And honestly we shouldn't put ourselves in a vulnerable position in net without getting bowled over.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I can't believe that it's summer and Kevin Weekes is still getting killed.

He will be back. And he should be back.

07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Fletch

I agree somewhat with SBoB...

only I'm not convinced he's back. Lundqvist emerged as a clear number 1. If there is a market for Weekes, which I'm not sure there is, then I think Sather deals him - perhaps even as a package for someone bigger - perhaps a winger. I believe the only way he returns is if no deal is consummated, but a deal is being sought.

I agree with SBoB in that the guy doesn't deserve to be flamed. I'd be glad to have him on my team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
DarthSather99

I think the Rangers go into the season with him, boost his trade value and then trade him at the trade deadline. Lundqvist injury lasy year may have them leery about trading him unilt they see how good a team they will have heading into the playoffs.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
HAPPY HOUR

I would rather have Steve V as the Ranger back-up than Weekes. And I would love the extra 2 million in cap room. Not a big fan of Kevin Weekes.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm curious as to what people really think the market for Kevin Weekes is. Who would want him? What are you really going to get back?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
shoothepuck

He most likely gets traded mid season, but should have been gone by now.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm curious as to what people really think the market for Kevin Weekes is. Who would want him? What are you really going to get back?
Someone beset by injuries in net at some point this season, assuming another goaltender has shown himself capable of backing up.

Tough to say whether he'll be here opening night. If there's a trade to be made and someone wants to include Weekes, he won't be a deal breaker. I don't think he's being actively shopped at this point however, nor do I think any GM's are waiting anxiously for him to be shopped. So many questions yet to be answered....

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Someone beset by injuries in net at some point this season, assuming another goaltender has shown himself capable of backing up.

Tough to say whether he'll be here opening night. If there's a trade to be made and someone wants to include Weekes, he won't be a deal breaker. I don't think he's being actively shopped at this point however, nor do I think any GM's are waiting anxiously for him to be shopped. So many questions yet to be answered....
I mean what is the market right now during the summer. I just don't see it. And if there is a market, is the return going to be so great that you take the risk and enter the season with Valiquette as the back-up? Or do you go out and get another goalie?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Fletch

I was thinking to myself...

the exact same thing, SBoB, and don't have a great answer. Can he at least fetch a #2 pick next season, like Cloutier did, who missed a good amount of last season? Or, is he combined with another player, players, or picks, to fetch a bigger fish? Could he a Tyutin, for instance, fetch a Barret Jackman? Or are there other opportunities? I haven't studied the market enough to know the answers, but I'm not 100% convinced the Rangers want to pay a back-up $2MM this season (of course, then again, if they don't need the money for cap space, it's not going to hurt them and he provides security in case Lunqvist enters a sophomore slump).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I would rather have Steve V as the Ranger back-up than Weekes. And I would love the extra 2 million in cap room. Not a big fan of Kevin Weekes.
What are we going to do, at this point, with an extra 2 million in cap room?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I mean what is the market right now during the summer. I just don't see it. And if there is a market, is the return going to be so great that you take the risk and enter the season with Valiquette as the back-up? Or do you go out and get another goalie?
If Ed Belfour is getting put through physical trials, then there's obviously a demand for goaltenders that isn't being met. I doubt the compensation balances out the risk however.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote