HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Oh please. He has no offensive touch at all. None. How can you call it decent?

What they should do is ask their GM to provide a roster that doesn't contain five guys who shouldn't be in the NHL.
He moves the puck around well and can onetime the puck as well as set up the onetimer, that's more than I can say for Whitney on the PP.

On an unrelated not please don't tell me that you thought that Gagner was solid in the defensive zone tonight.

HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Mediocore = average = 15th place in the league. More often than not that gets you in the playoffs.
We play a bad, boring, unsatisfactory bland brand of hockey and I am sad that its in my core to keep signing up for more of this...

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Who thinks this team is a lock? I'm pretty sure people want to see a competent or competitive team.
Well to brr honest they are competing

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McClelland

a couple years ago i had throwed my cap in the roof with only a 1 goal lost against the wings! Today you can expect more, we have better/older players and a detroit on their way down. We dont create much Ev and our Fo is ridicolous bad, i dont mention any names, but losing so many fo so clean isnt acceptable for a 2c vet!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I was the one extolling the virtues of RNH's strong defensive play earlier in the season but enough is enough. He's in the damn line-up to produce offense. Same with Hall.
The biggest concern last year though was when the top line wasn't scoring they were essentially completely useless.

The positive this year is when they struggle offensively at least they are still managing to make a difference somewhere on the ice.

The offense will come at SOME point, just not sure when....

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BDG

The free fall is coming early this season folks. What has changed in the last few years to suggest they can pull out of it this time? Schultz, Yak? Good players but can't carry a team

BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HopelessOilFan

We literallt have NOTHING for vets

Anyone on our team that isn't a young guy breaking into the league, is really bringing us down

Our vets should be the ones stabilizing this team not killing it

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Yup. We are dead without ES scoring.

Another year of wandering in the wilderness

Too fancy too often

Paarjarvi = harmless - won't hit to hurt and his shots are so gimpy it really is embarrassing...

Whitney = brutal

Won't dump it in on the PP. Again, too fancy

Too many times this word has been associated with Taylor Hall------ FAIL

Another year of wandering in the wilderness..

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

The one thing I will say is this team doesn't look very well conditioned.

It always looks to me like we're out of gas by the third period of playing in Colorado every game, lol.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:55 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I just saw the 3rd period - and to me Hall played fine. I don't know what he did in the first 2 periods to piss people off so much.

I didn't see him get much 5on5 time in the 3rd, but I felt with the TOI he was given he was making plays. That defensive play to stop Zetterberg's breakaway was amazing, and he was doing a good job of consolidating puck possession for us in the zone.

For those who are giving it to him for not scoring - how are you so surprised? We aren't using him properly. He shouldn't be on the point on the PP - he should be near the front of the net. He's not a sniper, he's a blue-collar banger a la prime Ryan Smyth.

He's being misused and misconstrued here - and it's because he went #1 overall. He's not a skilled guy that makes plays with the puck on his stick. He's a great compliment to players that CAN do that - like Hemsky, like Gagner, like RNH, like Eberle. He's never going to create a goal for himself using his moves and hockey sense with the puck. It's going to be hockey sense AWAY from the puck and the use of his body/speed to get open for high-quality shots or banging home rebounds.

To me, he's going to be a better-skating, less-pugilistic version of a guy like Scott Hartnell

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:55 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
When did Jeff Petry turn into a such *****? Got royally abused by the much smaller Zetterberg all game, and then stood with around with Smid on the Wings PP while Franzen blocked Khabby completey on the winner. He started off banging bodies in Vancouver and was very effective, and now shies away from all contact and loses way too many one on one battles.

Just one of many issues plaguing this team right now.

Quite possibly the worst 2 two man advantages I have ever seen. Not one shot on net. Pathetic.
Petry had looked "Gilbert soft" for a little while now.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Horseradish

I'm furious at the lack of inaction from Tambellini, personally.

This team NEEDS more centre depth. It's mighty difficult to win the possession game without winning draws.

This team NEEDS more quality defensive depth. It's mighty difficult to win the game when you've got buttplugs like Potter and Whitney killing momentum, giving away scoring chances, and making stupid plays every time they're on the ice.

This team NEEDS more veterans-- nothing difficult to acquire either-- just more veterans who can take a shift on the PK, can forecheck and lay the body once in a while. Just a half-decent 3rd or 4th line vet. There are just too many youthful mistakes going on right now.

The rest of the boys? I personally think it'll come. I think Krueger needs to coach some more offense-- set plays to gain the zone, cycle positioning, etc. Need to work on defensive positioning a bit more. But the offensive drought won't continue forever.

But FFS Tambo, get your coaches and players a bit of auxiliary help already.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
We play a bad, boring, unsatisfactory bland brand of hockey and I am sad that its in my core to keep signing up for more of this...
Yeah that's what bugs me most. This team is boring to watch.

Old
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
I think he spends too much time tweeting and is overrated at this point to be honest. He is nothing more than an average goal scorer and for us to be a good team he needs to start taking over games. He should be embarassed

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gmen 1

People its time for this elite group of kids to have a coach that will not stand for loss's. They had an opportunity and they choose wrong. We need an established no non sence coach ala Brian Sutter type.... Enough with this wait till next year attitude..

Gmen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Take you common sense and logic elsewhere, we aren't having it!
What logic? The team got outplayed again like they have in just about every other game this season. Are you guys really accepting efforts like these? Is that what this has come to?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I hate them but that Is what I like about Vans D. They got a good bit not dominant #1 and then a bunch of solid #2-4 dmen and every one of them hits hard or tries to. Play tough and aggressive.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Well to brr honest they are competing
Agree to disagree on that one.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I just saw the 3rd period - and to me Hall played fine. I don't know what he did in the first 2 periods to piss people off so much.

I didn't see him get much 5on5 time in the 3rd, but I felt with the TOI he was given he was making plays. That defensive play to stop Zetterberg's breakaway was amazing.

For those who are giving it to him for not scoring - how are you so surprised? We aren't using him properly. He shouldn't be on the point on the PP - he should be near the front of the net. He's not a sniper, he's a blue-collar banger a la prime Ryan Smyth.

He's being mis-used and mis-construed here - and it's because he went #1 overall. He's not a skilled guy that makes plays with the puck on his stick. He's a great compliment to players that CAN do that - like Hemsky, like Gagner, like RNH, like Eberle. He's never going to create a goal for himself using his moves and hockey sense with the puck. It's going to be hockey sense AWAY from the puck and the use of his body/speed to get open for high-quality shots or banging home rebounds.
Typical Taylor Hall ****. Takes the puck (awkwardly, I might add) and proceeds to try and deke through four opposing players.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen 1 View Post
People its time for this elite group of kids to have a coach that will not stand for loss's. They had an opportunity and they choose wrong. We need an established no non sence coach ala Brian Sutter type.... Enough with this wait till next year attitude..
The Flames were awful under Sutter, but Hartley looks like a good coach. Should've maybe kicked the tires on him a bit more.

Old
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

once again i'm going to sleep in a really really bad mood and the reason is the Oilers. why cannot we try and squeeze a win out of some of these one goal games? where has the team lost its scoring touch? it is looking heavy and tired, while it is full of young and supposedly hungry players, also ones who have something to prove as well. why?

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Petry had looked "Gilbert soft" for a little while now.
Oh for crying out loud. Who cares. Neither Schultz is very physical either...or at all really. I don't care about physical play if they're effective. Gilbert is a very effective NHL d-man. Petry is too, but he's going through some growing pains. Petry's physical play is the least of our worries. If you look at our D and Petry's slightly less than Smid/Gator physicality is your primary worry, you simply don't understand the game.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
No, you have the choice to not watch.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
On an unrelated not please don't tell me that you thought that Gagner was solid in the defensive zone tonight.
Nope. Terrible game from Gagner tonight - Hemsky and Yak were invisible for the most part too. Thanks for splitting up that line coach.

Doesn't change the fact that MPS wouldn't even be dressing for the game on virtually every other team in the league ... and you want stonehands on the PP? He can onetime? Really? When was the last time you saw a dangerous one-timer from MPS?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What logic? The team got outplayed again like they have in just about every other game this season. Are you guys really accepting efforts like these? Is that what this has come to?
The efforts have been better this year IMO, with the exception of the Flames and Avs games. But we just need to score.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote