HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year?

Old
02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

vCash: 500
How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year?

Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team does not play "river hockey", they play a tight checking game
This team with supposed "elite talent" can't score

the OKC line was dubbed "nhl ready" and is awful time and time again...5 goals in 11 games is embarassing for a 1st line

putrid ES and on the dot

they've got 1 regulation win in 11 games...let that sink in

I wasn't buying the hype as I picked them 11th in the Western Conference

My question is...do you think they're reading the press clippings?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team with supposed "elite talent" can't score

the OKC line was dubbed "nhl ready" and is awful time and time again...5 goals in 11 games is embarassing for a 1st line

putrid ES and on the dot

they've got 1 regulation win in 11 games...let that sink in

I wasn't buying the hype as I picked them 11th in the Western Conference

My question is...do you think they're reading the press clippings?
I predicted a bottom 5 finish. simply on the fact that all it takes is a team to play physical and this team falls like a house of cards.

Evander Kane,
Ryan Malone
Marty Reasoner

These are 3 players I WISH we could knab.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Draw me an Elephant

I think you are being overly optimistic with predicting them 11th. Adding two rookies to the worst team in the league isn't going to make much of a difference. An AHL team with a couple of talented young kids isn't going to make the playoffs in the NHL. Until management changes this team can draft first overall every year and they will still never make the playoffs and they'll ruin the development of every young player along the way.

Draw me an Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:08 PM
OILSLICK94

Damn right they read the press clippings, Major problem is there is not enough veterans on this team to slap some of the young guys "silly" and give there noodle a rattle......

This team is beyond frustrating, can't score a goal if there life depended on it.

1 EVEN STRENGTH win in 11 outings is PATHETIC........Personally can't believe we are were we are in the standings.

S.I. press clippings (adatar) putting the Oil 3rd in there preseason power rankings was the KISS of death. Kind of like being selected for the cover of S.I.

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Where's the fun in tempering your expectations?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Beerfish

If the oilers finish bottom three there would be no reason in the world not to clean house. We all know it will never happen because out owner doesn't care if we win as long as his kid can hang out with lowe and draft picks. I've never seen a management group get such a sheer and utter free ride from a group of fans and the media.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 800
And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This just displays that hockey pundits don't know what the **** they're talking about. They're taking a shot in the dark, just like the rest of us.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Where's the fun in tempering your expectations?
Yep

It's always good to keep the expectations high, and post like a suicidal drug addict when they get crushed.

The very essence of fun times.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Yep

It's always good to keep the expectations high, and post like a suicidal drug addict when they get crushed.

This is Canada.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

looks like river hockey to me:
bunch of sloppy local bozo's throwing the puck away with comedic scoring chances for the other team. theyre also high-flying (outside of dudes like Smyth and Whitney who are glue factory candidates) - but can't think the game efficiently at that speed (throw the puck somewhere blindly. throw pucks into shin pads at top speed.)

this team has speed and finesse skill: they have poor IQ, slow decision speed, and dont adjust well to being in the "advantage" of game momentum because theyre too inexperienced to out think better teams.

its still going to be a slow process everyone.

2-3 years before any legit maturity of play here. the real work comes from Tambo creating a long term vision with QUALITY vets around the core of kids.

this team is definitely not ready for prime time.

Krueger: "stall here, stall there... no simple plays"

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Yep

I agree, much much better to keep expectations at a very very low level. As a matter of fact do this for year after year after year after year. It is for sure much more fun to think the oilers will be bottom 2 every year and then be happily surprised when they end up 5th from the bottom.

This is a loser team, a loser front office, a loser media and they have done a fin job of creating loser fans who are happy just to have a team it seems.

I know, I know.....you expect us to challenge for a playoff spot 'next year.'

Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
0ilerman
The King

The overhyping and overrating of this team came from the national media, and ridiculous betting odds that spiked just before the season started. Realist fans who have watched this team over the past 5 years couldn't have expected a huge difference from last year

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
looks like river hockey to me:
bunch of sloppy local bozo's throwing the puck away with comedic scoring chances for the other team. theyre also high-flying (outside of dudes like Smyth and Whitney who are glue factory candidates) - but can't think the game efficiently at that speed (throw the puck somewhere blindly. throw pucks into shin pads at top speed.)

this team has speed and finesse skill: they have poor IQ, slow decision speed, and dont adjust well to being in the "advantage" of game momentum because theyre too inexperienced to out think better teams.

its still going to be a slow process everyone.

2-3 years before any legit maturity of play here. the real work comes from Tambo creating a long term vision with QUALITY vets around the core of kids.
2-3 more years. LOL If the team is not a sopild playoff team before then Tambo better have his assed kicked back to vancovuer.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
The overhyping and overrating of this team came from the national media, and ridiculous betting odds that spiked just before the season started. Realist fans who have watched this team over the past 5 years couldn't have expected a huge difference from last year
Bull. Look at the performance of hall eberle hopkins the addition of Schultz, gagner playing better. If we as fans don't expect the team to be much better than last year then as a group we should be calling for the heads of management that 2 years ago bleated that 'we will not be contention for a high pick again.'

Old
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
With Yakupov, I was hoping for maybe an extra goal from the second line per game.

And to be fair, we've actually gotten some of that.

Old
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
2-3 more years. LOL If the team is not a sopild playoff team before then Tambo better have his assed kicked back to vancovuer.
you really believe these kids maturity is ready for the playoffs this year? outside of Eberle and Shultz (who gets nice cushioned scoring space), the maturity of the other kids games is lacking hard. Hall is a reckless male bimbo. Yakupov is even more. RNH is in some one-gear/tunnel vision type game at the moment. he also needs to mature in size.

the structure of this teams play is atrocious game in and game out. its reactive, sloppy and slow developing. thats a sign of inexperience and playing scared.

the rest of the clowns on this team are "OK" NHL players to poor players. (outside of Smid on D and the goaltending)

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Soundwave

If they lose tomorrow against Columbus, woo boy, it will be ugly on this board ...

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I agree, much much better to keep expectations at a very very low level. As a matter of fact do this for year after year after year after year. It is for sure much more fun to think the oilers will be bottom 2 every year and then be happily surprised when they end up 5th from the bottom.

This is a loser team, a loser front office, a loser media and they have done a fin job of creating loser fans who are happy just to have a team it seems.

I know, I know.....you expect us to challenge for a playoff spot 'next year.'
Nah.

After being consistently disappointed with the world not ending when predicted, I just watch how things play out now.

I'll predict the Oilers will challenge for a playoff spot when they play the final game of a season with enough points to make the playoffs.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise
I think you forgot this ==>

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
It depends on who we're talking about.

We were definitely overhyped and overrated by the majority of the media. Calling us a sleeper, a play-off team, RNH a 100 point player, etc.

Posters on here were a lot more reasonable. The consensus in the "Where will the Oilers finish thread?" was around 11-13th in the West, I believe.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

We were definitely overhyped and overrated by the majority of the media. Calling us a sleeper, a play-off team, RNH a 100 point player, etc.

Posters on here were a lot more reasonable. The consensus in the "Where will the Oilers finish thread?" was around 11-13th in the West, I believe.
Sports Ilustrated must be stunned with what their seeing by this team.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

TSN said 13th, Sportsnet said 11th.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:44 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I've lost count of how many times a panelist for both those stations called us a play-off team or a much improved team.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:45 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
every one in the Edmonton Sun and Oilersnation picked them to make it

everyone certainly thought goals wouldn't be a problem and they'd be an exciting team

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote