HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

House Cleaning Must Go On This Season Too

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I think we have most of the core we need to become a contender. The problem is that Tambellini is content to sit on his duff and do nothing to address the deficiencies that exist on our roster.

Not saying these trades would be realistic, but make a few deals where we acquire players we sorely need would make us a contender quickly:

Eberle
2013 1st
Belanger
Whitney

for

OEL
Hanzal
I think we should just offer sheet OEL this summer. Offer him a long-term deal around 6.5 per season and see if the Coyotes/NHL can find it in the budget to match. If they can't it's only a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and that franchise is in no position to exact revenge on us.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I think we should just offer sheet OEL this summer. Offer him a long-term deal around 6.5 per season and see if the Coyotes/NHL can find it in the budget to match. If they can't it's only a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and that franchise is in no position to exact revenge on us.
I think they match that offer sheet rather quickly.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I think they match that offer sheet rather quickly.
A team like Philly would without blinking an eye. Phoenix I'm not so sure can and 6.5 is pretty steep.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
A team like Philly would without blinking an eye. Phoenix I'm not so sure can and 6.5 is pretty steep.
For OEL they would make it work. He's not leaving

Old
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
For OEL they would make it work. He's not leaving
It'd probably force them to move Yandle. If that hypothetical contract they'd have 22 million tied up in 5 defencemen... And they'd still need a goalie and they probably have the lowest budget in the league.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:50 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
IMO, the only players that must go are Potrer, Smyth, and Whitney.
You are right I will add Potter to houce cleaning list but I am sitll a fan of Smyth. He is not hitting even half of Horc's cap hit

Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Broilers

Updated list of the house cleaning

So I update my list of players I do not want to have back

1. Whitney
2. Horcoff
3. Potter
4. Hordichuck
5. Peckham

I am considering the following players as a transitional players and I hope they will not be back after 2013-14 season.

1. Smyth
2. Petrell
3. Belanger
and maybe Jones and Fistrick too. I really want to see how they can contribute

We need replacements
1. We need to acquire high draft pick again. Barkov is exactly what we need. He can replace Horcoff immediatelly
2. Se need to have bona fide number2 dman to play with J.Schultz.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post

1. Whitney
2. Horcoff
3. Potter
4. Hordichuck
5. Peckham

I am considering the following players as a transitional players and I hope they will not be back after 2013-14 season.

1. Smyth
2. Petrell
3. Belanger

We need replacements
1. We need to acquire high draft pick again. Barkov is exactly what we need. He can replace Horcoff immediatelly

I only have two problems with what you have to say.
One, how can you suggest Jones at all? he's done nothing but contribute since he's been on the team. he works hard, plays his role perfectly and scores goals.

and the second. you think the oilers need to TANK again and get ANOTHER high draft pick? this is why tambo still has a job.
there is more to running a team than getting a top 3 draft pick every year and waiting for magic to happen. seems like you, many other fans, and Tambo haven't figured it out yet.
the oilers picked first three years in a row, and you feel the need another top pick? there is no way the Oilers should need one if the GM did his job and surrounded the kids with some quality vets. seems like all he's done in three years is pick high and throw crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Last edited by Gord: 02-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
rockinghockey

I see Horc, Hordi, Khabi and Whitney being gone this summer. I can see EDM also moving Hemsky this summer as they won`t be able to afford his contract with RNH and Schultz contracts. Next season our team will look something like:
Hall, RNH, Eberle
Hemsky(might be moved); Gagner, Yak
Smyth; Belanger; Jones
PRV, Lander, Harti
Eager
Schultz; Schultz
Smid; Petry
Fistric; Klefbom
Potter
Dubi; backup
The following year Smyth, Eager, Belanger

Old
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
We have dived at least partly because of injuries last couple of season. It is a great possibility it will happen again this season. I am able to wait if we will get good picks and we have a good veterans to help kids growing.

I mean good veterans and it means that they are not just good persons off the ice but are able to help on the ice too. We have four guys who are always injured and we need to get rid of them. They can not help us when we are contending they are helping us to suck lottery balls.

Hemsky

If we just can. I really hope he is not out for season because then we will not get anything in return. If he is back we need to trade him immediately after 10-15 games.

Whitney

He should be traded before trading deadline because of same reasons than Hemsky. If we are gambling with him we can loose him to UFA without getting anything back.

Brule

His trading value is zero but if he recovers somebodsy might take a flyer and then he must be on is way to other destiny

Horcoff

There is no chance to move his contract we just need to hope that he can have a season without injuries when we are pushing for a play off spot. I can live this guy if we can off load others

Conclusion

Either we are trading these guys for some picks or we will dive season 2012-13 too. I am not ready for that. Let us trade them this season, pick top 3 pick and acquire some veterans with good character and ability stay healthy from UFA market next season.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

1. Whitney
2. Horcoff
3. Potter
4. Hordichuck
5. Peckham

1. Smyth
2. Petrell
3. Belanger

We need replacements
Let me get this straight.

You expect Barkov, to be our top defensive centre, penalty killing and shutting down the opposition in his ROOKIE year?

Amongst the replaceds - Horcoff, Smyth, Petrell, Belanger, - our top four penalty killing forwards.

Apparently you don't think we need centres who can win faceoffs or forwards who can penalty kill to be competitive in the league.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Let me get this straight.

You expect Barkov, to be our top defensive centre, penalty killing and shutting down the opposition in his ROOKIE year?

Amongst the replaceds - Horcoff, Smyth, Petrell, Belanger, - our top four penalty killing forwards.

Apparently you don't think we need centres who can win faceoffs or forwards who can penalty kill to be competitive in the league.

Of course Barkov can not replace them all but Horcoff. Horcoff is done he will never become even average third liner. Centerman needs to do also something else than win face offs.

It would be also great to have RNH, Gagner and Barkov as top 3 center men. After a couple of years this band can really have shot to SC.

Of course another chance is UFA signing. But free agency is always expensive route.
Finally trading for third line center is possible but it will cost bullets from draft table or prospect pool

Old
02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Just get rid of Smyth please. Never understood the love for this player. He sucks this year and needs to be gone.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:38 PM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
Quote:

1. Whitney
2. Horcoff
3. Potter
4. Hordichuck
5. Peckham

1. Smyth
2. Petrell
3. Belanger

We need replacements
I would add Smyth to the first list... and I want to see the Oil hand onto Fistric.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Horseradish

For this team to be a playoff contender and still retain the majority of its youth and skill moving forward, I see a few holes that need to be filled or upgraded:

Hall Gagner Hemsky
------ RNH Eberle
Yakupov Horcoff Jones
Hartikainen ------- Smyth

ext: Eager

J. Schultz N. Schultz
Smid Petry
----- Fistric

Ext: Potter

Dubnyk
--------

The Oilers could stay with Belanger as 4C, but it sure would be nice to leverage MPS and Belanger for some tougher scoring and a tougher 4C with upside, maybe a decent d-man thrown in. I don't know what it would take to get Clowe, Braun, and Desjardins (or maybe Handzus) from SJ, but starting with MPS and Belanger and adding is on its way, I'd imagine.

Or Penner and Stoll are two guys I'd welcome back with open arms, and address two big needs for the team. Penner wouldn't cost too much, I'd imagine, and Stoll could likely be had for Belanger+. In fact, Belanger and MPS for those two is probably something I'd think long and hard about, and I imagine they would too.

I'd be totally fine with Danis as backup. Khabi played well today, but he was SO bad last year, is coming off of yet another injury, and is another year older.

Not that I want to get rid of MPS, mind you, but I think he's the most expendable of the young talent we have right now in order to get something of value in return.

This team'll take a while to succeed if they go with a lineup this green and young, so they need to add some toughness and more veteran players to augment that.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Horseradish

But honestly? For now, I'd be happy with even a borderline NHLer who can win a faceoff and a capable bottom pairing d-man. Neither of which is going to break the bank for this squad.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
For this team to be a playoff contender and still retain the majority of its youth and skill moving forward, I see a few holes that need to be filled or upgraded:

Hall Gagner Hemsky
------ RNH Eberle
Yakupov Horcoff Jones
Hartikainen ------- Smyth

ext: Eager

J. Schultz N. Schultz
Smid Petry
----- Fistric

Ext: Potter

Dubnyk
--------

The Oilers could stay with Belanger as 4C, but it sure would be nice to leverage MPS and Belanger for some tougher scoring and a tougher 4C with upside, maybe a decent d-man thrown in. I don't know what it would take to get Clowe, Braun, and Desjardins (or maybe Handzus) from SJ, but starting with MPS and Belanger and adding is on its way, I'd imagine.

Or Penner and Stoll are two guys I'd welcome back with open arms, and address two big needs for the team. Penner wouldn't cost too much, I'd imagine, and Stoll could likely be had for Belanger+. In fact, Belanger and MPS for those two is probably something I'd think long and hard about, and I imagine they would too.

I'd be totally fine with Danis as backup. Khabi played well today, but he was SO bad last year, is coming off of yet another injury, and is another year older.

Not that I want to get rid of MPS, mind you, but I think he's the most expendable of the young talent we have right now in order to get something of value in return.

This team'll take a while to succeed if they go with a lineup this green and young, so they need to add some toughness and more veteran players to augment that.
Don't like those lineups...and Penner and Stoll are useless and won't help..We need better..

I've been a big Gagner supporter for years but we need to replace him on the 2nd line..Too many small, weak players..A trade with the Avs for ROR would be nice..Gagner, our 1st and a D prospect should do it..
And Hemmer for a top 4 D...

Get rid of Horcoff, Petrell and Smyth..Keep Jones, Belanger and Eager for the 4th line..I guess that means we need a whole new 3rd line..

Hart-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-ROR-Eberle
??-??-??
Eager-Belanger-Jones

Old
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
McArthur

The only players we should consider taking on at this point should be ones willing to come in and take the hometown discount. If 6 million is the norm on "the fab 5", we have a cap to look at and could use players that aren't going to leave the club in disarray at the end( if not during) their contracts.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
McArthur

That iginla guy probably wouldn't mind winning a Stanley cup...!

Old
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Needles

Build a trade around these pieces, add assets if necessary:

To Nashville: Ales Hemsky
To Edmonton: Colin Wilson/Craig Smith, Jonathon Blum

Buy out Horcoff. Don't re-sign Whitney. Trade Belanger. Trade Smyth. Get rid of the veterans and start bringing in winning mentality, character & toughness. Give Eberle the "C".

Sign Ryan Clowe or Nathan Horton(~4M, 2-3 years)
Sign Bryan Bickell (~0,9M, 2-3 years)
Sign Colton Orr (~0,9M, 1-2 years)
Sign Zac Rinaldo (~0,9M, 2-3 years)
Sign José Théodore (~1,5M, 1 year)

2013-2014 Edmonton Oilers

Taylor Hall ($6M) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($3,75M) - Jordan Eberle ($6M)
Ryan Clowe ($4M) - Sam Gagner ($4M) - Nail Yakupov ($3,75M)
Teemu Hartikainen ($1M)- Smith/Wilson ($2M) - Ryan Jones ($2,5M)/Magnus Pääjärvi (2,5M)
Bryan Bickell ($0,9M) - Zac Rinaldo ($0,9M) - Colton Orr ($0,9M)
Lennart Petrell ($0,9M), Ben Eager ($1,1M)

Nick Schultz ($3,5M) - Justin Schultz ($3,75M)
Ladislav Smid ($3M) - Jeff Petry ($1,75M)
Jonathon Blum (~$2M) - Mark Fistric ($1,5M)
Oscar Klefblom ($1,3M), Corey Potter ($0,75M)

Devan Dubnyk ($3,5M)
José Théodore ($1,5M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Barkov will likely play 1-2 more years in Finland.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Broilers

2013 House cleaning has started

Hordichuck got waived so house cleaning has started. It would be cool to get hands to Coyotes center men. Hanzal or Vermette would fiil the void now both of them can be good long term replacements for Horcoff. Especially Hanzal would be a good fit for us. He is big can score and takes care of defensive responsibilities

Forward roster can be like this next year

Hall RNH Eberle
Yak Gagner Hemsky
Hartikainen Hanzal Jones
Pääjärvi Belanger Petrell/Eager
Vandevelde

Out: Horcoff, Hordichuck, Smyth and possibly Petrell

Old
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Hordichuck got waived so house cleaning has started. It would be cool to get hands to Coyotes center men. Hanzal or Vermette would fiil the void now both of them can be good long term replacements for Horcoff. Especially Hanzal would be a good fit for us. He is big can score and takes care of defensive responsibilities

Forward roster can be like this next year

Hall RNH Eberle
Yak Gagner Hemsky
Hartikainen Hanzal Jones
Pääjärvi Belanger Petrell/Eager
Vandevelde

Out: Horcoff, Hordichuck, Smyth and possibly Petrell
So Hanzal just comes for free? LOL.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
So Hanzal just comes for free? LOL.
Apparently Phoenix who has developed Hanzal for years, is now just going to let him go just as he's become someone valuable to them.

I mean why stop there? That Crosby guy might want to come over too.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Guys, I traded Horcoff and 2 first rounders for Crosby. They accepted.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Beerfish

I can't believe you people want to get rid of Petrell, just crazy. The guy is the perfect 3rd/4th liner. Good pk guy, has heart and grit, does everything asked of him, good enough skater.

Closed Thread