HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH's injury

Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I wonder what the issue is with the shoulder? Is something torn or ripped? sprained?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Continue to note the amount of times out on the ice Nuge is avoiding physical contact. Which again is uncharacteristic of this player. At times he's tentative out there and consistent with a shoulder injury that is said to be "flaring up at times".

20 games without a goal for an elite player (and goal scorer) is a little beyond struggling when you get top mimutes, topline, top PP unit.

I would almost rather think that his performance is due to injury then a rapid decline in confidence. If its the latter then what do we do?
Are you kidding me? Nuge has been backchecking like crazy, and has really worked on his defensive game - something he was quoted as wanting to concentrate on:

http://newsok.com/barons-ryan-nugent...rticle/3716658

Quote:
ďA big thing for me is I want to be a two-way centre. I take a lot of pride in my defence, and thatís something Iím definitely going to be focused on.Ē
Now i'm not saying that there isn't something up with his shoulder, as there obviously is but he's been awesome playing as a two-way center this year.

BTW he did get a goal earlier against LA, but it was waived off (incorrectly IMO).

Booya42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Are you kidding me? Nuge has been backchecking like crazy, and has really worked on his defensive game - something he was quoted as wanting to concentrate on:

http://newsok.com/barons-ryan-nugent...rticle/3716658

Now i'm not saying that there isn't something up with his shoulder, as there obviously is but he's been awesome playing as a two-way center this year.

BTW he did get a goal earlier against LA, but it was waived off (incorrectly IMO).
You must watch completely different games.

Maybe last years games PVR'ed. I should note the amount of times I've seen Nuge rushing the puck where a check is approaching and he just peels right off and leaves the puck going forward. This is something I'd not seen from his last year and that crept into his play this year. Which suggests to me that something is wrong. As far as goals scored he has no shot to speak of this year, can't control it, wide most of the time, and the one "goal" he scored was into a yawning wide open net with the goalie being interferred with. I could score that goal.

Nuge has been reasonable in own end because he's a very smart player and anticipates and understands the game well. He's cleared our zone several times and been good at mopping up there. Which he could do with a wonky shoulder. But its much harder to get a proper shot off with a bum shoulder.

Funny thing is because hockey players are tough theres just this notion that you play through it. If this is baseball and pitcher experiencing something like this would he be playing much or get the immediate medical attention? If its playoffs or world series you work through with it. There was no reason last year not to get it done. The excuse that they thought it would get better on its own is proved to be false. This is nearly a year later.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
You must watch completely different games.

Maybe last years games PVR'ed. I should note the amount of times I've seen Nuge rushing the puck where a check is approaching and he just peels right off and leaves the puck going forward. This is something I'd not seen from his last year and that crept into his play this year. Which suggests to me that something is wrong. As far as goals scored he has no shot to speak of this year, can't control it, wide most of the time, and the one "goal" he scored was into a yawning wide open net with the goalie being interferred with. I could score that goal.

Nuge has been reasonable in own end because he's a very smart player and anticipates and understands the game well. He's cleared our zone several times and been good at mopping up there. Which he could do with a wonky shoulder. But its much harder to get a proper shot off with a bum shoulder.

Funny thing is because hockey players are tough theres just this notion that you play through it. If this is baseball and pitcher experiencing something like this would he be playing much or get the immediate medical attention? If its playoffs or world series you work through with it. There was no reason last year not to get it done. The excuse that they thought it would get better on its own is proved to be false. This is nearly a year later.
From a medical pov though, without knowing the details of RNHs woes, when it comes to most shoulder issues you try and avoid surgery as far as possible and instead opt for rehab. I would assume an NHL club would ask the top of the crop when it comes to the physical health of their players.

It has to be noted though that most doctors would offer a patient different options, so it could be that RNH himself chose to rather try and stay away from surgery for the moment being.
Which makes sense to me, there's always risk involved with surgery, you might lose motility and so forth. If he can stay away from the knife it's probably preferable.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
JetsOilersfan

Well, I hurt my shoulder - the deltoid muscle (in front of the triceps). I couldn't buy my Tims at a drive through using my right hand - I couldn't reach across my left arm to pay - too much pain.

No surgery - but my doc said it would take two years. That was two years ago and it just started coming around at Xmas time - steadily improving but now I can do my pushups and bench presses with little pain (though I still feel it).

So the no surgery option is valid, and could be. But bottom line is he's not right, he's playing poor, and maybe he should just sit if every little hit he takes will set him back. He's still a boy playing in a mens league, when he gets hit, it hurt - A LOT. He's not ready physically, plain and simple. He has the skills but he can't use them. However there is no real solution other that what the Oilers are doing. We'll just have to watch him develop slowly and hope his shoulder doesn't become chronic

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:45 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
His point totals could have nothing to do with pain in his shoulder at all. He could just be snakebit and have a sore shoulder Eberle is going through a slump too, but I don't see it being blamed on injury.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:07 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I bet Nuge goes on a tear starting tomorrow.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I bet Nuge goes on a tear starting tomorrow.
Sounds like his tear started last year and it's just getting worse...

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Hey, I don't follow the Oilers at all but was just wondering if he will be in the line up today?

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Hey, I don't follow the Oilers at all but was just wondering if he will be in the line up today?
Yes RNH is slated to play today

@EdmontonOilers: "A couple days of rest were good for it ... I'm ready to go today." - RNH (upper body) who will make his return after missing last game

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Meanashell11

I guess given his performance today this thread is moot. Kid played tough, got hit a number of times and did not flinch. Seems to me this injury is not that big a deal!

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
I guess given his performance today this thread is moot. Kid played tough, got hit a number of times and did not flinch. Seems to me this injury is not that big a deal!
It seems to impact him in certain ways. this is not the RNH shot I've seen in his career. Accuracy is off consistently, not getting anything on em, and having trouble with what is otherwise a quick release. he looked like he wasn't in pain today but its a nagging injury and from the reports the pain is coming and going. We'll see.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Soundwave

He's getting decent velocity on his shot, but the accuracy is totally off.

Even just speaking from playing in a beer league, a bad shoulder can totally screw your shot up.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Even just speaking from playing in a beer league, a bad shoulder can totally screw your shot up.
Precisely. But whats he doing taking 3 shots on a last minute PP and failing miserably on all of them?

Somebody tell RNH he has nothing now. Pass, please.

Plus I don't think theres any mustard on this hot dog right now. His shot isn't even making anybody sweat this year. Slower release as well.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Meanashell11

He took and gave some hits that were shoulder to shoulder, against the boards and did not flinch. I could say the same thing about Eberle's accuracy right now. I thought RNH played a very physical game for a guy that is supposed to have some kind of season ending injury the way people here were going on.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He took and gave some hits that were shoulder to shoulder, against the boards and did not flinch. I could say the same thing about Eberle's accuracy right now. I thought RNH played a very physical game for a guy that is supposed to have some kind of season ending injury the way people here were going on.
Nobody that I know of was saying its a season ending injury.

I do see it as a shot ending injury until it improves, gets fixed. lack of shot really limits the effectiveness of this player. In tightly packed schedule of games this is only going to get worse imo.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Precisely. But whats he doing taking 3 shots on a last minute PP and failing miserably on all of them?

Somebody tell RNH he has nothing now. Pass, please.

Plus I don't think theres any mustard on this hot dog right now. His shot isn't even making anybody sweat this year. Slower release as well.
I don't have a problem with that ... he is this franchise, so take the shot, if you miss, so be it.

I don't want him cowering and bailing out on perfectly good shooting lanes because he's afraid he might miss.

As much as I hate to lose, that type of thinking is even worse in my eyes.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:09 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Nobody that I know of was saying its a season ending injury.

I do see it as a shot ending injury until it improves, gets fixed. lack of shot really limits the effectiveness of this player. In tightly packed schedule of games this is only going to get worse imo.
Lots of posters have been saying he should be shut down for the year. It's been going on for a week.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Lots of posters have been saying he should be shut down for the year. It's been going on for a week.
Honestly I had this feeling when he was yanked from OKC and given those tests before the World Juniors.

It's the same thing as Hall last year ... it was one of those things where he can play, it just will need surgery as soon as the season is over.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:27 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Its okay sometimes to pull a Jason Spezza and just do surgery asap

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
He took and gave some hits that were shoulder to shoulder, against the boards and did not flinch.I could say the same thing about Eberle's accuracy right now. I thought RNH played a very physical game for a guy that is supposed to have some kind of season ending injury the way people here were going on.
I noticed this.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I dunno. To me it seemed weak & also he seemed to take awhile/was tenative to shoot it.
Anyway you slice it, imo its really affecting him.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:39 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Yeah, it didn't seem like he was shying away from physical contact. Not in the same way we've seen Hemsky avoid taking hits to his shoulder in the past.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:43 PM
alanschu

For a team that has a reputation of not reacting to player injuries until it's too late, maybe they sat Ryan simply to be safe and not let it get worse and become one of those more serious injuries as in the past.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
beaterson

RNH is clearly still injured. Unfortunately, I think the Oilers should shut him down so he can get surgery and start next season 100%.

Just my .02

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote