HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 05:14 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He took a risk on Cam Barker last year. We all know how that ended up.
Took a risk once
It was awful
1/10, would not recommend.

Tomorrow's game marks a quarter of the season. We need, and I repeat, need to be at .500 to be competitive in this league at the quarter mark. A convincing win would really do the trick.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And that's my point. The Oilers are not in win now mode. So we shouldn't be surprised when they don't.
What is this "win mode", and when will it ever occur.

I'll tell you one thing, the players thought it was this year, until the Colorado game, which was hugely deflating, and I said so at the time.

The wind went out of the sails of the club with that game, one they thought they should win going away. That game redefined what this club thought it could do.

That was the kind of loss that is demoralizing to a team trying to find its way. Haven't recovered since. The first line has been nothing since that game.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I'll tell you one thing, the players thought it was this year, until the Colorado game, which was hugely deflating, and I said so at the time.

The wind went out of the sails of the club with that game, one they thought they should win going away. That game redefined what this club thought it could do.

That was the kind of loss that is demoralizing to a team trying to find its way. Haven't recovered since.
If one game could wreak havoc in this team, then they are still far, far, away from success.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
HopelessOilFan

- no possession off the faceoffs ever meaning we don't get the puck for who knows how long after its dropped

- Way too much focus on cute plays

- Whitney and potter need to either wake the hell up, or sit. I'd rather see fistric and peckham

- Smyth has nothing left anymore, its sad to watch, but we need to win. When jones gets back he better be riding the pine.

- Hartikainen needs to do something else when he gets the puck other than skate towards the nearest wall so he can fight for a puck he already has possession of.

- We have absolutely zero idea on how to break out of our zone or enter the offensive zone.

This team is a mess right now, and so frustrating to watch.

We have so many good individual pieces... but for some reason things just aren't coming together.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
If one game could wreak havoc in this team, then they are still far, far, away from success.
Indeed I would say this is the case. A very fragile collective ego this club has and next to no resilience.

Is this surprising given their last 3 seasons?

This club is always either hot or cold. A bunch of emo stops and starts. With the stops typically being longer.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
And that's my point. The Oilers are not in win now mode. So we shouldn't be surprised when they don't.
I thought the mandate was to compete for a playoff spot. I specifically remember Tambellini saying that and he brought in a new coach which signals to me that he expects the team to take a big step forward. When exactly is it ok to expect this team to start winning? I always thought that this was the season to target for making a run at a playoff spot not that i expected it but i thought that was the organization's goal. This is now Year 3 of their scorched earth rebuild.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
OILFAN #81

Quote:
Exactly? What is it now? Oh man, all we need is Jones. Then oh man all we need is Ekblad and McDavid. Then it will be oh man we just need another pick and this team will be a playoff team. If it happens this year, finishing at or near the bottom of the league 4 years in a row is unacceptable and everyone should be canned. People are just making excuses every year they don't do good. The Oilers need to get out of that losing mentality and start building a winning culture.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
- no possession off the faceoffs ever meaning we don't get the puck for who knows how long after its dropped

- Whitney and potter need to either wake the hell up, or sit. I'd rather see fistric and peckham

- Smyth has nothing left anymore, its sad to watch, but we need to win. When jones gets back he better be riding the pine.

- Hartikainen needs to do something else when he gets the puck other than skate towards the nearest wall so he can fight for a puck he already has possession of.

- We have absolutely zero idea on how to break out of our zone or enter the offensive zone.

We have so many good individual pieces... but for some reason things just aren't coming together.
THIS is absolutely killing us right now.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I thought the mandate was to compete for a playoff spot. I specifically remember Tambellini saying that and he brought in a new coach which signals to me that he expects the team to take a big step forward. When exactly is it ok to expect this team to start winning? I always thought that this was the season to target for making a run at a playoff spot not that i expected it but i thought that was the organization's goal. This is now Year 3 of their scorched earth rebuild.
Laforge said the same thing. "thank you" to the fans this year was icing a competitive club. This year.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

The nice thing about afternoon games is we get an extra 8 hours to complain now.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Asher

Quote:
But it's not as if the Flames have been a playoff team either in the last 3 years.

They're basically doing the exact same thing we did before the rebuild.
I don't want to debate whether Calgary is doing the right thing, especially considering that I would blow it up if I were them. I merely gave an example of what it means to gamble on a veteran player in order to fill a need. Tambo has not tried any moves like this, and not doing anything like that this summer pretty much guaranteed a continuation of the very slow improvement we've been accustomed to watching the last few years.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post

I agree with a lot of this.

I know it's cliche, but we need to just fight and get some greasy goals. They don't all need to be pretty. They count all the same.

Once Jones is ready to go, we need to take Smyth out.

I don't understand how Potter is even on this team right now. Every time I see that he's starting a game, I cringe, and then curse Kreuger's name.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Laforge said the same thing. "thank you" to the fans this year was icing a competitive club. This year.
Doesn't look very competitive to me to be honest. Still looks like a team in the infantry stages and they shouldn't be looking like that by now.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't want to debate whether Calgary is doing the right thing, especially considering that I would blow it up if I were them. I merely gave an example of what it means to gamble on a veteran player in order to fill a need. Tambo has not tried any moves like this, and not doing anything like that this summer pretty much guaranteed a continuation of the very slow improvement we've been accustomed to watching the last few years.
I'm not really sure where a guy like Wideman would have fit though. Our top 4 are basically set and he is not a 5/6 guy, especially for the coin he's making.

Besides, didn't we try that exact thing with Souray?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Doesn't look very competitive to me to be honest. Still looks like a team in the infantry stages and they shouldn't be looking like that by now.
I've been a Tambo supporter over the years, but if we don't make the playoffs this year, we need to find another GM.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Asher

Quote:
Let's just say I'm a strong believer in that saying, "actions speak louder than words." Tambo can say whatever he wants, but I'm going to go by his actions.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
I'm not really sure where a guy like Wideman would have fit though. Our top 4 are basically set and he is not a 5/6 guy, especially for the coin he's making.

Never a bad thing to have good depth.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Never a bad thing to have good depth.
Obviously but do you think Wideman is going to sign here if he's not in the top 4? He'd laugh and hang up the phone.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:30 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Let's just say I'm a strong believer in that saying, "actions speak louder than words." Tambo can say whatever he wants, but I'm going to go by his actions.
In fairness to him, his biggest acquisition of the offseason is the best player on the team so he was proactive in that sense and it looks to be the best move made by any GM this offseason thus far or at least one of the best moves. Unfortunately, the rest of the team outside of Dubnyk isn't pulling their weight consistently enough.
I agree with you though. He clearly hasn't done enough to add quality vets to the roster who can not only supply leadership but create support for the youngsters and balance to the roster.
I guess we'll just have to remain patient AGAIN.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
SDig14

It's pretty simple.

We haven't iced a playoff team to start the year since the cup run, and it's unfortunate because the young players believe they will be.

The NHL is not a league where kids 18-23 years old dominate and win cups, or even make the playoffs consistently.

You need guys in the 26-32 year old range that are good, and you need a mix of different types of players.

We simply don't have any of them, and it won't matter if the kids struggle or all have 70 point seasons next year, they will not be a playoff team with Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger, Hemsky, Whitney, etc. as the verterans of this club.

Those players at this stage in their careers are not winners in the roles they are playing on this team right now.

I'm far less pessimistic than most around here and for the most part it is because I have managed my expectations. If you really thought this was a playoff team this year, then you were being delusional.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Asher

Quote:

I didn't like the Souray move because I thought the Oilers should rebuild instead but if they were to make a move like that now I'd be a lot more understanding. A lot of risk moves don't work (see: Jeff Carter to CBus), but sometimes they do (see: Jeff Carter to LA).

This is clearly not Tambo's approach though. His approach is more based on hope: let's hope Dubey plays like a #1, let's hope Whitney and Hemsky are healthy again, let's hope Smyth are Horc can flourish with reduced minutes, let's hope Smid and Petry continue where they left off last year, let's hope the young guys are as good or better than they were last year, let's hope J.Schultz can fit right in, etc, etc, etc. He's rolling the dice with the same roster as last year. To expect everyone to be as good or better and the team to take a quantum leap in the standings is very unrealistic.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I didn't like the Souray move because I thought the Oilers should rebuild instead but if they were to make a move like that now I'd be a lot more understanding. A lot of risk moves don't work (see: Jeff Carter to CBus), but sometimes they do (see: Jeff Carter to LA).

This is clearly not Tambo's approach though. His approach is more based on hope: let's hope Dubey plays like a #1, let's hope Whitney and Hemsky are healthy again, let's hope Smyth are Horc can flourish with reduced minutes, let's hope Smid and Petry continue where they left off last year, let's hope the young guys are as good or better than they were last year, let's hope J.Schultz can fit right in, etc, etc, etc. He's rolling the dice with the same roster as last year. To expect everyone to be as good or better and the team to take a quantum leap in the standings is very unrealistic.
To get a guy like Jeff Carter you got to give up something significant. Are you okay with potentially giving up Hall or Eberle for him?

Old
02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
HallOfGreatness4

Hall is going to finish this season with like 8 or 10 goals scored if he keeps this up. Embarassing.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
So I read to page 3 and jumped to page 10 because it is the same old posts after every loss.

I know people don't want to hear it but we are missing Horcoff. The offense has disappeared because we can't win a face off and that is killing our PK as well.
Sure we're missing Horcoff..for FO and PK...

I don't for a second believe the offense has disappeared because of that. I would have to say 'what offense'? We've pretty much got out shot, out scored and out played for almost every game this season so far. We've been going downhill since the first few games as can be attested by our points and positioning in the league. We're 3 points out of 2nd last and heading that way.

Really, nothing much has changed the last few years. Yeah, we have some great young players..Exciting to watch and, if not too messed up after this team, will be great players some day...some are on the cusp already. However, we're still in the same place we've been for years. The only reason we're even at 500 right now is because all our best players were playing during the lockout. Now, however, the rest of the league are catching up and we're showing our true colours again..

I'm going to blame this on coaching (all the players seem to wander around, skating willy-nilly without a direction), on systems (or lack thereof), on management for failing to identify and address needs in a timely manner, for having the wrong mix of players and failing to correct it, for not wanting to make any risky moves but sit back and be happy with the status quo again... to not having contingency plans when things go wrong, etc.

The top players are excellent and have tried to play great..Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky, Schultz and Schultz..even Smid and Petry have been alright. Dubnyk has played well.
We need a different mix in the top nine and just shuffling the deck chairs is not enough. Unlike many people here, I think a competant GM could build a terrific team around the young stars without having to give up any of the top 5...I believe we can use Gagner, Hemsky, 1st round pick(could be 1st overall), MPS, Whitney, young D prospects, etc, to build a different team through trades...I think Gagner, our 1st pick and a defensive prospect would probably get ROR..I would be seeing if Myers can be had out of Buffalo for another D prospect, a young forward prospect..maybe Hemsky..whatever..,.We need better support players in the bottom 6, whether we use our picks (looks like 5th rounders are popular) or other players..prospects..Get rid of Smyth, Horti, Petrell, Horcoff, Whitney, Potter, etc...Find some quality vets/role players..That's what management is paid for isn't it? Not just to stand up every summer and take a 1st overall that the average fan could do..
Management need to get off their duff and make some moves..risky they may be...That includes replacing Krueger if things don't change with 5 on 5 scoring or system play in the next few games..

Hartkainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-ROR-Yakupov
???-???-???
Eager-Belanger-??

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Asher

Quote:
To get a guy like Jeff Carter you got to give up something significant. Are you okay with potentially giving up Hall or Eberle for him?
I probably would have traded the #1 pick overall for Shea Weber. If the right deal is there, I'm certainly willing to make it. (Not that I know Weber would have come here or that Tambo didn't try, this was just an example on my part).