HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Ryder opts for salary arbitration

Old
07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
isn't Luongo wanted out because the Panthers bring him in arbitration???

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
isn't Luongo wanted out because the Panthers bring him in arbitration???
Yes, last year Luongo felt hurt by the Panthers bringing him to arbitration because he felt his salary demands were very reasonable on a long-term deal. Keenan got greedy, and penny pinched, bringing him to arbitration. Voila, one year later, Luongo is no longer a Panther.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
you might be right im not sure i know it starts on the 20 th tho . i also read the arb can award a 2 year deal so that might work out best for all parties if they do indeeed end up infront of a arb i just hope they can get a deal(longterm) in place before the arb hearing ,one thing tho for ryder to file he must feel he is getting low balled. thet must be quite aways apart

# July 5: Deadline for players to file for arbitration
# July 6: Deadline for teams to file for arbitration
# July 15: Qualifying offers expire at 5pm et
# July 20: Salary Arbitration Begins
# August 6: Deadline for arbitration decisions
A lot of teams agree to contracts just before arbitration, so I see that happening for Ryder...he has lived with the hard negotiations in the past, its time for BG and the Habs to show some faith and commitment to him in a longer deal and at fair value too.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Artyukhin*

some teams might walk away from the player if they feel he gets awarded to much$$$ they have the right . tampa walked away from Cory Stillman’s arbitration award to bring back the more affordable Vaclav Prospal

guess we all seen cory with carolina in the playoffs right ? lolol

could get intresting

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
some teams might walk away from the player if he gets awarded to much they have the right . tampa did so with stillman .

could get intresting
Question about that: If a team walks away from an arbitration award, the player becomes a UFA, right?

If so then it could indeed get quite interesting.

Old
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
Question about that: If a team walks away from an arbitration award, the player becomes a UFA, right?

free to sign anywhere yup .

can lou afford gomez at 5 million a year? any cap space left?
guy in colorado named liles is making 450,000 just filed for arb . might be tight

cap space is tight all over the leauge isnt it .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-05-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

trade that Punk!

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post

Montreal ould be stupid to do so because Ryer as a UFA would be a great cheap option at $2 million per for teams looking for scoring on their top 2 lines. We haven't signed UFA's and haven't made trades so we are going to take a step backward in not signing one of our top players in points and scoring for the past two years?

If that happens I would seriously think that Gainey needs to be let go and that that I should look for another team to cheer for!

Old
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
trade that Punk!
I hope your joking...if not your an idiot!

Old
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Montreal ould be stupid to do so because Ryer as a UFA would be a great cheap option at $2 million per for teams looking for scoring on their top 2 lines. We haven't signed UFA's and haven't made trades so we are going to take a step backward in not signing one of our top players in points and scoring for the past two years?

If that happens I would seriously think that Gainey needs to be let go and that that I should look for another team to cheer for!
That's not what I meant. I was referring to other teams possibly walking away from awards of their players, putting more/new UFAs on the market.

Old
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

im not talking about letting ryder walk for free. im sayin loook over the leauge teams up tight to the cap having to go to arb with a player who made 450,000 that probally goona get 2.5 million now .

defensemen John-Michael Liles in Colorado he had 49 pts last season and just field for arbitration . what's that worth in a arb hearing ? more than $450,000 he's making now thats for sure .do the avs got enuff cap if he is awarded 2.5 million - 3.0 million a year?

can captain cash lou in new jersey afford a 5 million scott gomez?

this is where gainey will find his players hopefully thru gm's needing to trade to free cap space

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-05-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old
07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

He deserves a nice raise hope he does well.

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

contract could be one or two-year depending on some conditions

and it's right, arbitrors can't go in the middle, they must decide the contract based upon the player's or club's election

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
KaptainKourage*

Rÿdër

RDS : Ryder go to arbitrage (sorry I dont know the english word, if someone know it, let me know ). ...
http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207839.html

Well, if he ask too much, just trade him IMO

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=267605

Old
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79 View Post
RDS : Ryder go to arbitrage (sorry I dont know the english word, if someone know it, let me know ). ...
http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207839.html

Ryder is the most useless 30 goals scorer i ever saw. He really needs to improve his defensive play.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79 View Post
Yes let's trade one of the very rare goal scorer we have!

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Yes let's trade one of the very rare goal scorer we have!
I like him and I want to keep him, but, if he ask too much money (ala many UFA) so

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Squeaky

I've read the relevant sections of the CBA for arbitration, so I'm going to post a bunch of stuff that is interesting/relevant:

The clubs taking players to arbitration is indeed new to this CBA. There are two cases in which a team can take a player to arbitration:

1) the player made more than 1.5 million dollars on their last contract and are restricted, but were not necessarily qualified. In this case the player will get at least 85% of their last contract.

2) the player was qualified but did not accept their QO and did not request arbitration of their own accord. In this case the player will get at least 100% of their last contract.

Additionally, a player can only be scheduled for arbitration by a team once in their career, regardless of whether the hearing actually happens or not. A team can only take two players to arbitration in a year. Oh, and the deadline for arbitration in the first case was June 15th, so I doubt it will happen this year. The deadline for the second case is tomorrow at 5pm EST.

One interesting clause: To schedule the order of arbitration, reps from the NHL and NHLPA flip a coin. They then pick players from the list one after-another, starting with whoever won the coin toss. When they pick a player, they get to assign them to a specific arbitrator in an open time slot, not necessarily in order.

The side that was taken to arbitration (in Ryders case it would be the habs) gets to pick before the contract is awarded whether they want a 1 or 2 year deal. You can't pick 2 years if the player is going to be group 4 or 5 at the end of the first year, and the player can void the second year of the contract if he's making under the league average after the first year is up.

There are 7 categories of evidence you can provide in a hearing, they are not all limited to statistics. One of them is just how they helped/did not help the teams success last year (last year only) and another is "special qualities of leadership or public appeal" so you can get pretty creative in what you present. There's also a long list of things you can't present. If you really want to know all this stuff, read it yourself, I just skimmed it.

Finally, from what I have read the arbitrator picks the salary, he doesn't have to pick between two numbers put forward by the player and the team.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Ryder is the most useless 30 goals scorer i ever saw. He really needs to improve his defensive play.
Zednik and Rusinsky may be ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
Zednik
Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
It took years for us to finally develop a 30 goals scorer and people want to trade him after his sophomore season...

We can't do that all the time, if we develop youngsters, we need to trust them and trust our coaching staff. I want to keep Ryder and see him improve his game every year... If he plays injury-free for a full season with Koivu, he has enough potential to reach 35 goals and 70 points. Why drop a guy like that? Unless he asks for 5 a year, let's keep him.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!
Oh please. Czerkawski hit 30 goals twice in his career. He's far more useless than Zednik.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
From what he's shown me, Ryder is a very good goal-scorer... and that's about it. He's either putting the puck in the net, or he's standing around and screwing up; how much do you want to pay a guy like that?

I'd honestly consider trading him if he wants anything more than $3-million.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
bayrider

Theres no harm in re-signing Ryder, especially to a 2 or 3 year deal if possible. I say give him $2.25 per year for 2 or 3 years. If he can't up his game next season, then there will be plenty of GM's in the league drooling at the prospect of having a shot at Ryder.

IMO I don't see any harm in keeping him. He's only played 2 season, it took Lecavalier a hell of a lot longer to reach what Ryder did in goals. Since Carbo and Muller are behind the bench now, they can whip Ryder into a more defensively responsible player too. No reason to get rid of Ryder just yet. Lets not pass up on our youth.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote