HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Old
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
the emergence of bortuzzo and despres seems to have eliminated the big need for a tough creasing clearing d-man that would be required for the playoffs.

now it seems that wingers are the penguins sole need.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
the emergence of bortuzzo and despres seems to have eliminated the big need for a tough creasing clearing d-man that would be required for the playoffs.

I kind of figured that a RW for Sid was the only absolute need. Pretty clear a true third wheel LW for Geno and Neal has emerged as a comparable need.

Their LW has had the same effect on them of a game where both Kunitz and Dupuis play like ****, like today.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

They still need depth that's a vet back there.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I kind of figured that a RW for Sid was the only absolute need. Pretty clear a true third wheel LW for Geno and Neal has emerged as a comparable need.

Their LW has had the same effect on them of a game where both Kunitz and Dupuis play like ****, like today.
well if we get the RW for Sid we'd at least have Dupuis to put in that 3rd wheel spot. Not perfect, but an upgrade over what we've had for sure.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
well if we get the RW for Sid we'd at least have Dupuis to put in that 3rd wheel spot. Not perfect, but an upgrade over what we've had for sure.
1. It would have to be a total impact guy to allow Dupuis to stay with Sid and Kunitz to slide down with Geno and Neal.

2. I still would hope, even IF it were a total impact guy, that Shero still would go for a LW for Geno and Neal and see the value of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Black Label

Obviously Phoenix has no need to trade him, but I'd love to see Bødker on the Pens. I've been a huge fan of his for a long time now. He is a LH shot, but does play the RW. He has the speed and creativity to keep up with Sid and whoever else is on the line. One of the fastest guys in the league and has hands to match. He's basically Dupuis with much more offensive potential.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Obviously Phoenix has no need to trade him, but I'd love to see Bødker on the Pens. I've been a huge fan of his for a long time now. He is a LH shot, but does play the RW. He has the speed and creativity to keep up with Sid and whoever else is on the line. One of the fastest guys in the league and has hands to match. He's basically Dupuis with much more offensive potential.
love Bødker - defensively responsible as well.

Bødker will be ours when they trade MAF to Québec. have patience. maybe they can snag Ulfie's kid as well.

Last edited by Crafton: 02-09-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I like Bodker, but I think I'd like to see more of an impact winger added for Sid. Then again, I also think I'd like to see a proper third wheel for the second line. I anticipate being disappointed on both counts, although I should temper that pessimism because I'm told that Ray Shero tries.

EDIT: I hate to give credit on this one, but this really is the best description that I've seen for the Pens LW situation:

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#pens 2nd line LW slot this season is equivalent of clearing snow for car spot then having truck plow you in anyway. #TribHKY

Last edited by KIRK: 02-09-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. It would have to be a total impact guy to allow Dupuis to stay with Sid and Kunitz to slide down with Geno and Neal.

2. I still would hope, even IF it were a total impact guy, that Shero still would go for a LW for Geno and Neal and see the value of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis.
I agree. I'm just saying as far as the NEED and WANT argument goes, that's where I think we are.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBoris View Post

People complain that we don´t have any good forward prospects
besides Bennett, but when there is a good chance that we could draft a good one in this supposedly deep draft, people want to give up that first rounder for less than sure fire players. I don´t get the reasoning behind that
Seto/Stewart/etc are surefire NHL players. There's a even chance that whoever drafted won't be... Cullen posts up the averages of players drafted that turn into NHL players (100 NHL games). I'm pretty sure that the later half of the first round isn't much over 50% - if that - but feel free to go look that up. The 2nd round goes to something like 25%.

So while you want to be very choosy about who you trade that 1st round pick for, trading that pick for an NHL player isn't always the wrong thing.

In addition, whomever is drafted won't help the team for at least 3-5 years.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
JTG

Quote:

Not sure if it completely eliminates the need, but it definitely minimizes it. I think ultimately Shero is looking for a top pairing guy to play with Letang.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I'd take Brouwer. At the time he was UFA, Pens fans were wanting him because he brought some grit to his game/team.

Cooke-Sutter-Brouwer

That would be a pretty good 3rd line.
Brouwer at 3.6 over the next 3 years has to be in the top 6 for that to work salary wise.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Andy Strickland believes that's Nathan Gerbe may now be available due not the return of Patrick Kaleta.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Andy Strickland believes that's Nathan Gerbe may now be available due not the return of Patrick Kaleta.
Honestly not sure how much he could help us. If we're expending assets, I'd rather it be on someone who's at least shown something at the NHL level. Bash Seto all you want (not you specifically) but at least he can consistently pot 20. If we're gonna take a chance on someone stepping up, I'd rather it be someone who's not 5-5.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
He's a pure energy guy (Gerbe). Definitely bottom sixer in the NHL, definitely not what we're looking for.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
They still need depth that's a vet back there.
Not really. With Nisky back, Engo/Bort is your 7th guy. You want to carry 8 defenseman throughout the season?

Tasty Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:13 PM
mpp9

I'm not seeing us dealing for an upgrade for Letang. That costs far more assets than finding an upgrade for Sid and Geno.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
WarriorScholar

With a shortened season we will probably see even less sellers than last year. Standings will be so close it's going to be hard for a squad to pack it in and let a key player go without getting a return that could help them now . Kulemin being one of the guys a lot are talking about, I don't see Toronto getting rid of him considering how desperate they are to make the playoffs. They will be 7-5 after tonight, and while I don't think they are a legit playoff team, they will hover right around that 8-10 place in the standings for most of year. Certainly by the deadline.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'm not seeing us dealing for an upgrade for Letang. That costs far more assets than finding an upgrade for Sid and Geno.
Indeed. the only way we add a d-man is if we trade one away first. Or someone gets injured long term I guess. And it would be someone to be the 6/7 guy.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
With a shortened season we will probably see even less sellers than last year. Standings will be so close it's going to be hard for a squad to pack it in and let a key player go without getting a return that could help them now . Kulemin being one of the guys a lot are talking about, I don't see Toronto getting rid of him considering how desperate they are to make the playoffs. They will be 7-5 after tonight, and while I don't think they are a legit playoff team, they will hover right around that 8-10 place in the standings for most of year. Certainly by the deadline.

I think this will be the slowest sell season we have seen in awhile. If your team is on the brink of the playoffs they may keep a normally traded player. If you can get into the playoffs you can win it all if you get hot.

I don't see any fringe team selling a decent winger to the pens unless they need decent D. Would you trade Nisky for a winger? Thats what we may have to do.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I think this will be the slowest sell season we have seen in awhile. If your team is on the brink of the playoffs they may keep a normally traded player. If you can get into the playoffs you can win it all if you get hot.

I don't see any fringe team selling a decent winger to the pens unless they need decent D. Would you trade Nisky for a winger? Thats what we may have to do.
I've been talking about that the last few days. At this point I wouldn't. Not with 2 rookie dman already plugged in there. In a full season it would have been a different situation, but this year ...having a guy like niskanen is what this defense needs in the playoffs. If this was the off season, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Niskanen has been very reliable, unless Shero can land another reliable vet at the deadline, I don't want to move Nisky. You're going to have to win 2-1 games in the playoffs...like we did during our cup runs.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
love Bødker - defensively responsible as well.

Bødker will be ours when they trade MAF to Québec. have patience. maybe they can snag Ulfie's kid as well.
I'm still kind of mad that the Pens passed on him. I really like his sense, size and he plays with some snarl too.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
He's a pure energy guy (Gerbe). Definitely bottom sixer in the NHL, definitely not what we're looking for.
Didn't he miss some time last year and not come back the same. That kids cut from stone but thats still really small.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
I dunno, maybe Maloney will repay us after the Michalek "trade"? He sure owes us one.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:26 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post

If the pens make a hockey deal like the neal deal i think edm could be a good trade partner they have all those young talent forwards but there not winning now they need to do something.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote