HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Kesler In Practice With The Canucks Today

Old
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Cliff wishes he was 5'8.
haha, true. theo fleury on cliffy: "i can eat my lunch off the top of that guy's helmet."

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I just don't get all the Booth hate. All I heard before last season was how we needed a big bodied forward who could play in our top 6 and drive the net. That's pretty much what we have in Booth, plus he's a work horse who can skate really fast.

Yes I'd prefer he was 6' 3" 220lb with a bit more speed, harder hits, Schroeder passing, elite vision, slightly better shot, with more 1on1 moves, who can play center, defensively sound, better fighter....

stop nitpicking..

EDIT: To bring this back to Kesler. He's a GREAT defensive player who's build his game around hard work. He's shown he can produce offensively but I believe he should never be put in a situation to 'produce' offense unless he's the secondary threat on the line. Put him with guys who work hard and hustle, shut down a line and the offense will come.
The Booth hate stems from 1 goal in his last 20 games last year... a pointless one against the Oilers. And now two long stretches on the IR already.

Also, Kesler and Booth played awful together, there was no creativity or play making(not like Booth will ever be able to do this) but why ruin Kesler by saddling him with Booth?

IMO Booth should be on the third line skating around bumping into guys and trying to jam the puck in the net. He's basically a really fast grinder that's terrible in his own end anyways. The Raymond and Kassians of this year >>> Booth last year.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post

Also, Kesler and Booth played awful together, there was no creativity or play making(not like Booth will ever be able to do this) but why ruin Kesler by saddling him with Booth?
The AMEX line (Kesler, Booth, and Higgens) had a short but excellent run together prior to Booth being injured.

After that Kesler and Booth never had a stretch of games where both guys were healthy and at the top of their games.

I would like to see what they look like when both are healthy and in game shape before making any further conclusions about how they play together.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
The Booth hate stems from 1 goal in his last 20 games last year... a pointless one against the Oilers. And now two long stretches on the IR already.

IMO Booth should be on the third line skating around bumping into guys and trying to jam the puck in the net. He's basically a really fast grinder that's terrible in his own end anyways. The Raymond and Kassians of this year >>> Booth last year.
Booth had 27 points in 40 games before he started slumpin...

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
The AMEX line (Kesler, Booth, and Higgens) had a short but excellent run together prior to Booth being injured.

After that Kesler and Booth never had a stretch of games where both guys were healthy and at the top of their games.

I would like to see what they look like when both are healthy and in game shape before making any further conclusions about how they play together.
Absolutely, but nobody should be pretending that he didn't generally have a poor year, whether he has a valid excuse or not.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:

This. It is no surprise all three players scored the most points when all paired together.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I think this is more or less what we will see.

I suspect Burrows and Kassian will rotate a little as well as Raymond and Booth.

I think Weise and Manny will take turns sitting out.

As far as Schroder goes I think he will have to be really good to hold down his spot for the full season.

My guess is AV and GMMG still believe the 3rd line should be a more traditional checking unit and would like to upgrade that spot either through the Luongo trade or at the deadline.

That scenario pushes Schroder back to the AHL as injury depth, which is perfectly fine in the short term. Most young players are well served by moving up and down the first few years of their NHL career.
Then I guess they haven't learned from last year. This is exactly why I refuse to support this team by actually going to games this year because of the garbage philosophy that this team has employed. But we'll find out.

Schroeder has played very well up here, and deserves to continue playing up here for the rest of the season. He's played well defensively and made things happen offensively. Sending him down for a no-offensive talent 3C would be a huge mistake, and an even bigger mistake if we waste an asset like Roberto Luongo to acquire one.

02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
RobertKron

I like that pauser is outraged about something that hasn't even happened yet.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Then I guess they haven't learned from last year. This is exactly why I refuse to support this team by actually going to games this year because of the garbage philosophy that this team has employed. But we'll find out.

Schroeder has played very well up here, and deserves to continue playing up here for the rest of the season. He's played well defensively and made things happen offensively. Sending him down for a no-offensive talent 3C would be a huge mistake, and an even bigger mistake if we waste an asset like Roberto Luongo to acquire one.
If Gillis and AV think that the aquiring of a barely talented grinding third line center is the way to go we're in trouble. If they decide to go all out and get a guy who by all rights should be in the top but for our third line like when the penguins were Crosby/Malkin/Staal then I'm fine with that.

But not letting Schroeder play would be a huge mistake.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

Not much of a protest.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think this is more or less what we will see.

I suspect Burrows and Kassian will rotate a little as well as Raymond and Booth.

I think Weise and Manny will take turns sitting out.

As far as Schroder goes I think he will have to be really good to hold down his spot for the full season.

My guess is AV and GMMG still believe the 3rd line should be a more traditional checking unit and would like to upgrade that spot either through the Luongo trade or at the deadline.

That scenario pushes Schroder back to the AHL as injury depth, which is perfectly fine in the short term. Most young players are well served by moving up and down the first few years of their NHL career.

More or less agree. The one thing that could allow Schroeder to fit that scheme is to put him at the 2C and push Kesler to the wing. I no longer think this is as unlikely as I once did.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:44 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

^ Apparently Gilman has suggested that might be a possibility, and two members of the Canucks brass were high on this idea (from PITB or Canucks Army, can't remember).

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Steve Bennett*

Apparently Booth took the game day skate along with Kesler today. That's good news. Maybe Kesler back within a week and Booth not too far behind. At 6-2-2 no rush to get them back but dam I feel more confident about this team...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
kanuck87

Kassian probably should be back on the 4th line if everyone is healthy. The only place he's ever shown that he fits is with the Sedins, but who doesn't?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti/Wiese-Lapierre/Malhotra-Kassian

This is what I'd like to see when everyone is healthy. 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that hits (with Lapierre)

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:25 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
That is the first time I have written that, and the first time I have written I think he will be sent down... So yeah

Moreover I think you need to understand the why. This is nothing about Jordan himself, I think he deserves to play on this team. However when Kesler and booth come back, two guys will need to be sent to the wolves. Jordan is waiver exempt so he goes straight through. It is better to keep your depth then lose it.

I know you are thinking but its just blank and blank, but if we get a few injuries especially in the playoffs, wouldn't you rather have a lot of NHL talent instead of none?
Wouldn't you rather have the best possible roster?

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Kassian probably should be back on the 4th line if everyone is healthy. The only place he's ever shown that he fits is with the Sedins, but who doesn't?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

This is what I'd like to see when everyone is healthy. 3 scoring lines and a 4th line that hits (with Lapierre)
ugh, what a waste.

Sends a terrible message. Hey, you have been leading the team in goals and working hard. Welcome back to playing on the 4th line!

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

no chance Kassasin is fourth line..........switch Kassasin and Hansen and third line will be a lot stronger

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:39 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Apparently Gilman has suggested that might be a possibility, and two members of the Canucks brass were high on this idea (from PITB or Canucks Army, can't remember).
Did he say something about Schroeder playing on the second line and kesler to the wing...that would be ideal

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Did he say something about Schroeder playing on the second line and kesler to the wing...that would be ideal
Botchford said that a few 'higher-ups' in the Canucks organization believe that the ideal spot for Kesler is on the right wing rather than center. That was a follow-up to a tweet about Schroeder being #2C when Kesler is back.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Yes, Gilman mentioned that it was a possibility.

Quote:
"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/8/jord...et-ryan-kesler

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

I feel comfortable having Schroeder as our #3C. It works

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Steve Bennett*

If Kesler is so willing to move over to the wing then why in the hell did we trade Hodgson?

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
Apparently Booth took the game day skate along with Kesler today. That's good news. Maybe Kesler back within a week and Booth not too far behind. At 6-2-2 no rush to get them back but dam I feel more confident about this team...
According to Jeff Patterson, he needs surgery instead... what a tool Jeff is.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Botchford said that a few 'higher-ups' in the Canucks organization believe that the ideal spot for Kesler is on the right wing rather than center. That was a follow-up to a tweet about Schroeder being #2C when Kesler is back.
It's a tough call because Kesler is so strong defensively up the middle but possesses the offensive skillset of a winger. His size, speed and elite forechecking ability make him the ideal person to get in on opposing dmen and his shoot first style and great shot fit well off the right wing.

If Kesler is the one taking draws and playing the role of centre on his side of centre while Schroeder plays as the centreman on the atacking side of the red line I think you get the best of both worlds. Though those adjustments might hurt the lines effectiveness.

It's definately something worth looking at when Kesler comes off injury and isn't at the top of his game.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Schroeder has played very well up here, and deserves to continue playing up here for the rest of the season.
He's played well but there is no entitlement when it comes to rookies. When we get healthy his play will need to stay at a high level or he will 100% be sent down.

Quote:
He's played well defensively and made things happen offensively. Sending him down for a no-offensive talent 3C would be a huge mistake, and an even bigger mistake if we waste an asset like Roberto Luongo to acquire one.
I think it depends.

If the top2 lines are killing it offensively then a defensive 3rd line is the way to go.

That said, we haven't seen that type of offensive game from our second line in a while and right now I probably feel more comfortable with a 3rd line that can score some and a 4th that can take defensive zone draws.

Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote