HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles and Oilers talking deal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
  #26
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,202
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Watch it be Theo Peckham for a conditional 6th.
omark and peckham for a 5th

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  #27
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
I'd be shocked if the Oilers did anything significant, pretty much against their entire outlook on building a team. They are all about the 20 year plan.

I could see a minor deal though.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  #28
L0STEDT*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Why don't the Oilers try and trade for some defensemen? From anywhere? It's great that you have all the young offensive talent (despite how horrible RNH has been), but who is going to play D for them? I don't understand.

L0STEDT* is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  #29
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas30 View Post
Why don't the Oilers try and trade for some defensemen? From anywhere? It's great that you have all the young offensive talent (despite how horrible RNH has been), but who is going to play D for them? I don't understand.
Last time I checked teams don't hand over quality defenseman for rainbows and candy these days.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  #30
OILSLICK94
Registered User
 
OILSLICK94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
I could see the Oil being interested in the following:
D - Mark Streit (Visnovsky back, maybe he's available, Swiss connection with Oiler Coach Krueger)
D - Travis Hamonic (don't see how Snow moves him)
F - Nino Niederreiter (swiss connection with Oiler Coach Krueger)
F - Marty Reasoner (golden in the face-off department and Oilers need depth @ Center with the rash of injuries)
F - Kyle Okposo

But what would it take to get them? can't see anything of substance from the Oilers squad that Garth Snow would entertain in return.

The obvious Oiler dump is Paajarvi, but I don't see where he fits with the Islanders, and what else to add to the deal.

Does the following work?

F - M.Paajarvi 1.5mil (RFA at seasons end)
D - R.Whitney 4.0mil (UFA at seasons end)
FOR
F - N.Niederreiter 1.9mil (RFA in 2014)
D - M.Streit 4.1mil (UFA at seasons end)

Don't really think this move helps either then a change of scenery, its more of a lateral move for both clubs as salaries are almost a wash, where one teams failed prospect for another teams failed prospect.

OILSLICK94 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
  #31
L0STEDT*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Last time I checked teams don't hand over quality defenseman for rainbows and candy these days.
The Oilers defense has been bottom of the barrel for how long now?

L0STEDT* is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
  #32
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 50
Reasoner for a 4th rounder would be my guess.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
  #33
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas30 View Post
The Oilers defense has been bottom of the barrel for how long now?
What does this have to do with them getting defensemen?

They don't fall off trees, they have to come from a team willing to get rid of them.

And their defense isn't as bad as some people think. It's in the bottom 10 for sure, but there were quite a few teams last year that leaked goals far worse than EDM.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:08 PM
  #34
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Reasoner for a 4th rounder would be my guess.
If young guys with potential like Andrei Lok. And Keaton Ellerby are going for 5th round picks, not a chance in **** Reasoner will get a 4th.

nhlfan9191 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #35
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
I could see the Oil being interested in the following:
D - Mark Streit (Visnovsky back, maybe he's available, Swiss connection with Oiler Coach Krueger)
D - Travis Hamonic (don't see how Snow moves him)
F - Nino Niederreiter (swiss connection with Oiler Coach Krueger)
F - Marty Reasoner (golden in the face-off department and Oilers need depth @ Center with the rash of injuries)
F - Kyle Okposo

But what would it take to get them? can't see anything of substance from the Oilers squad that Garth Snow would entertain in return.

The obvious Oiler dump is Paajarvi, but I don't see where he fits with the Islanders, and what else to add to the deal.

Does the following work?

F - M.Paajarvi 1.5mil (RFA at seasons end)
D - R.Whitney 4.0mil (UFA at seasons end)
FOR
F - N.Niederreiter 1.9mil (RFA in 2014)
D - M.Streit 4.1mil (UFA at seasons end)

Don't really think this move helps either then a change of scenery, its more of a lateral move for both clubs as salaries are almost a wash, where one teams failed prospect for another teams failed prospect.
So, the isles give up the healthier and better defenseman and also the prospect, with the higher upside?

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #36
L0STEDT*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
What does this have to do with them getting defensemen?

They don't fall off trees, they have to come from a team willing to get rid of them.

And their defense isn't as bad as some people think. It's in the bottom 10 for sure, but there were quite a few teams last year that leaked goals far worse than EDM.
The point is that your organization doesn't do anything about it. You're lucky Justin Schultz basically wanted to go there, or else it would be even worse.

Oilers don't try and trade, and barely try and sign any defensemen. In 2 years, we'll still be talking about how much "potential" the Oilers have, and Jeff Petry will still be on your top pairing.

L0STEDT* is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #37
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,641
vCash: 55
Reasoner, Finley and Boulton are healthy scratches in tonight's game.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
  #38
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So, the isles give up the healthier and better defenseman and also the prospect, with the higher upside?
Just do it. It will work out well

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
  #39
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas30 View Post
The point is that your organization doesn't do anything about it. You're lucky Justin Schultz basically wanted to go there, or else it would be even worse.

Oilers don't try and trade, and barely try and sign any defensemen. In 2 years, we'll still be talking about how much "potential" the Oilers have, and Jeff Petry will still be on your top pairing.
Well, here is the main problem.

We have guys like Nick Schultz, Smid, and Petry, who are fairly good in their own right but none of them belong in a top pairing. They are all 3-5 guys IMO.

Schultz has been great, and is playing like a top pairing guy.

The problem is we don't need more 3-5 guys, we need a guy that is a bonafide top pairing guy on this team.

However, teams rarely trade those players away. If you want to give us one that would be nice though.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
  #40
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
If young guys with potential like Andrei Lok. And Keaton Ellerby are going for 5th round picks, not a chance in **** Reasoner will get a 4th.
Yeah you're right. 6th rounder wil do. I want Cizikas over Reasoner now anyway.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:19 PM
  #41
OILSLICK94
Registered User
 
OILSLICK94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So, the isles give up the healthier and better defenseman and also the prospect, with the higher upside?
I agree, like I said in my post....I don't see a match and after all its Eklund....

I'd be hard pressed to say Nino is the better prospect then MPS, Nino has done jack ****....so far.

OILSLICK94 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
  #42
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,903
vCash: 500
Just curious, but how has Eklund been good?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
  #43
L0STEDT*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
Just curious, but how has Eklund been good?
Called the Timonen re-signing and Thomas trade.

L0STEDT* is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
  #44
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1
 
Kid Dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Downtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 835
What would Islander fans be looking for if they were going to move Streit?

I would happily give a 5th/6th for Reasoner at this point.

Kid Dynamite is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
  #45
Horseradish
Registered User
 
Horseradish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London, ON
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
The most I think you'd see would be something like Whitney for Reasoner or something of that nature. Something small. Shuffling bit players.

Horseradish is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
  #46
EarlGrey
Registered User
 
EarlGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Yakupov for Hamonic + Niederreiter

EarlGrey is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  #47
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,202
vCash: 131
In rereading the OPs comment

Eklund gets only a 1/2pt for the Thomas trade--if you go back to the long off season--it was speculated by members of this board and by other talking heads that BBs might move Thomas to the NYI for a pick. Eklund is right once for every 300 rumours he toss out there--I have a better record then that


this thread will be fun to watch over the next few days when nothing happens

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  #48
White Goodman
smell that fitness?
 
White Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 6,894
vCash: 50
Reasoner + Okposo + Hickey for Whitney + MPS

White Goodman is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
  #49
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,240
vCash: 500
Eberle for Hamonic + Okposo?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
  #50
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,202
vCash: 131
I like reasonor and think he is the perfect 4th line c for the oilers. But when Horcoff and Belenger get back that causes more problems

Oilers are at 48 or 49 conctracts depending on which list is correct--so if they pick up a body they need to send one out

jumptheshark is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.