HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Inigo Montoya slays his father's killer! Jets win 1-0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
  #76
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 950
vCash: 500
I think the defense deserves a lot of credit for that shutout. Montoya did a great job of positioning and squaring up, but there were a lot of juicy rebounds that Sens were not able to get on the end of due to close checking and busy sticks.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:08 PM
  #77
Zhamnov5GoalGame
Registered User
 
Zhamnov5GoalGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Because we won I don't see a shake up in the forward lines.
The next time they need to I would like to see.

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper

Antropov played alright but also was responsible for some big give aways especially late in the game.

Kane was very good on the PK
3 days to see if Buff or Bogo can get in the lineup.

If Mittens ever does get healthy I'm not sure if has a spot?
4th line?

Someone ask 2012 Wheeler to come back!

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:14 PM
  #78
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 663
Peluso question!!!

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
  #79
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Because we won I don't see a shake up in the forward lines.
The next time they need to I would like to see.

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper

Antropov played alright but also was responsible for some big give aways especially late in the game.

Kane was very good on the PK
3 days to see if Buff or Bogo can get in the lineup.

If Mittens ever does get healthy I'm not sure if has a spot?
4th line?

Someone ask 2012 Wheeler to come back!
haha Zhamnov 5 goal game! I remember that. Was that a 7-7 tie against the Kings or Whalers in 1995? I remember seeing the box score of that as a kid, thinking wow... crazy how some games stick in your head. Only time Alexei fixated into the top 10 in NHL scoring. He was No. 3 behind Jagr and Lindros. What a season.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
  #80
IceCapsFanNL
Registered User
 
IceCapsFanNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
He's ours now.
Not what I meant. I see Redmond as having more upside than Postma. Am I out in left field

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:30 PM
  #81
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post


Antropov played alright but also was responsible for some big give aways especially late in the game.


Someone ask 2012 Wheeler to come back!
Antropov threw the puck away all game

Jokin becoming invisible, with him and Wellwood you might as well dress Peluso and bring up any forward from St. Johns in their place

Wheeler playing like early and late season Wheeler of 2011-2012 no intensity, not skating like he did when he was the best player on the team for that large middle part of last season.

Hard to say who is the better of Redmond or Postma right now, Redmond better defensively but Postma better offensively, I would say it's a toss-up.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
  #82
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Not what I meant. I see Redmond as having more upside than Postma. Am I out in left field
To be honest it depends more on the team and need.
Postma's ceiling is a #4 PMD with 1st/2nd PPQB while Redmond is a #4 two-way D who can support 2nd PP and play the PK.

So I'd say Redmond is more valuable to us since we have Byfuglien and Bogosian on our roster, but Postma could be more valuable for other teams, even if both hit their respective ceilings.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
  #83
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
You mean something like (in no particular order):
Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Antro/Burmi
Poni-Antro/Burmi-Welly
Yup, exactly like that.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:45 PM
  #84
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,081
vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
To be honest it depends more on the team and need.
Postma's ceiling is a #4 PMD with 1st/2nd PPQB while Redmond is a #4 two-way D who can support 2nd PP and play the PK.

So I'd say Redmond is more valuable to us since we have Byfuglien and Bogosian on our roster, but Postma could be more valuable for other teams, even if both hit their respective ceilings.
I think that might be the key here. Redmond has more value to us long term because he is more of a 2-way guy. Postma is kinda redundant with Enstron and Buff and even Bogo who can put up 30 points while in a defensive role. That's a lot of offense from 3 guys. Like you said, Postma could have some pretty good value to other teams in need of an offensive guy.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  #85
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 50
Well damn what do u know! A nice 2 pts on the road and we're a game closer to buff and bogo's return! I'll take that!

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
  #86
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Not what I meant. I see Redmond as having more upside than Postma. Am I out in left field
I wouldnt say upside, but he plays a much better all around game than Postma and has been my favorite of the two since the end of last year in the AHL.

His two-way game is something we need more of than Postmas offence.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  #87
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander
 
Blackie Dammit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Interlake
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 50
I hope Buff is back for Tuesday, even though Clitsome has played pretty well, he will sit. I imagine Bogo will be pretty close to go for Thursday as he has been skating pretty hard since camp opened and should be in great shape

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:12 PM
  #88
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Because we won I don't see a shake up in the forward lines.
The next time they need to I would like to see.

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper
Agreed, those are the lines I'd like to see as well.

Kane needs a offensively creative center to feed him (Burmi), while Jokinen needs a offensively creative winger (Little) to feed him.

I don't know if we'll ever see 2012 Wheeler back. I don't think we'll see the LLW line back together since Little is playing so well on the wing.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  #89
Zhamnov5GoalGame
Registered User
 
Zhamnov5GoalGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
haha Zhamnov 5 goal game! I remember that. Was that a 7-7 tie against the Kings or Whalers in 1995? I remember seeing the box score of that as a kid, thinking wow... crazy how some games stick in your head. Only time Alexei fixated into the top 10 in NHL scoring. He was No. 3 behind Jagr and Lindros. What a season.

It was a 7 - 7 tie in LA.
The 5th goal was a breakaway "Lemieux" deke (although Zhamnov was always more impressive. Mario did it with reach and skill... Alexei did it with just skill).
He was tied for 1st in scoring late in the season. Jagr and Lindros outscored him in the last 2 days of the season.
Still highest finish for any Jet ever.
And he did that with Selanne on the shelf.

If a Jet scored 5 goals in a game now my head would explode!!!

Below is a link to an example of the deke... different game but same magic!!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:21 PM
  #90
gholas
Registered User
 
gholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 50
I remember that year, there was even talk that Zhamnov was better than Selanne; then the back problems started. I guess it was from carrying the Jets on his back that year.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:21 PM
  #91
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan
 
kk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taipei(fromManitoba)
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Damn afternoon games. Never get to catch them live.

Nice to see we hung on for the win. Needed that BADLY.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
  #92
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,715
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:46 PM
  #93
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
then the back problems started. I guess it was from carrying the Jets on his back that year.
The two packs of smokes a day sure didn't help.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
  #94
Diatidialga
Registered User
 
Diatidialga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 50
Oh my god, nhl.com puns for this game are off the charts

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  #95
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't know if we'll ever see 2012 Wheeler back. I don't think we'll see the LLW line back together since Little is playing so well on the wing.
The problem is noels system. It is not good for players like kane and wheeler who thrive on a north/south game. Our new system plugs up the neutral zone slowing down the game and gets the wingers to come deep in our zone. Very rare will they get that long stretch pass and be one on one with a defender.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
  #96
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The problem is noels system. It is not good for players like kane and wheeler who thrive on a north/south game. Our new system plugs up the neutral zone slowing down the game and gets the wingers to come deep in our zone. Very rare will they get that long stretch pass and be one on one with a defender.
Noel's system allows you to win games with the roster you were dealt with, when players deviate from it the Jets lose, the downside is less offence and the need to hold the opposition to few shots and hopefully few goals, an average goal-tender is required.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
  #97
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I was talking specifically about the last PK - our possession was at least as good as the Sens while we were on the PK, and they were able to move things out of their own zone pretty reasonably without resorting to throwing it down the ice. PK over, new line on, and we're stuck in our own zone again. I can post the video of it, if you'd like. I do trust stats (my minor was in stats - I'll skip a discussion about backwards-looking nature of sports stats - I do support it as a method to explain what you're seeing after the fact 100%), but in this case, the visual supports the claim as well as the stats will, IMHO.
AIH posted the possession stats for each player for each strength (ES, PP, PK):
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winni...ebruary-9-2013

Good news for special teams (sorta):
Nobody on the PP was negative... YAY! (that's such a sad, sad thing to be happy about haha)
Some of us on the PK were even (Burmistrov) or positive (Clitsome and Redmond)

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
  #98
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
AIH posted the possession stats for each player for each strength (ES, PP, PK):
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winni...ebruary-9-2013

Good news for special teams (sorta):
Nobody on the PP was negative... YAY! (that's such a sad, sad thing to be happy about haha)
Some of us on the PK were even (Burmistrov) or positive (Clitsome and Redmond)
Where do the raw numbers come from? Redmond was out-Fenwicked by 10? Antro was positive? Are you sure this is from the Ottawa game this afternoon?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
  #99
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Where do the raw numbers come from? Redmond was out-Fenwicked by 10? Antro was positive? Are you sure this is from the Ottawa game this afternoon?
I believe that the author is crunching them himself on a spreadsheet from the NHL.com info

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  #100
Zhamnov5GoalGame
Registered User
 
Zhamnov5GoalGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
The two packs of smokes a day sure didn't help.
If it worked for Ducky then hey...

(I wish I could find the video from the Jets reading campaign in the 90's... my man Zhamnov's contribution of "read bo-ok" is a classic)

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.