HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Canucks goalies of all time: #1

View Poll Results: Best Canucks goalie of all time
Richard Brodeur 3 1.74%
Dan Cloutier 1 0.58%
Glen Hanlon 0 0%
Roberto Luongo 148 86.05%
Kirk McLean 19 11.05%
Gary Smith 0 0%
Other 1 0.58%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #26
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/
 
Treefingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo. AINEC. And yes, I did see McLean play.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
  #27
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Which of those goalies got swept in the SCF?
The same one (and only one) that faced an actual dynasty, behind a team that had no business being anywhere deep in the playoffs.

  Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
  #28
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The same one (and only one) that faced an actual dynasty, behind a team that had no business being anywhere deep in the playoffs.
And you think the Canucks of 2011 had any business getting to game 7 of the SCF based on the offensive output they put up? Or based on their entire defensive corps being injured?

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:12 PM
  #29
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Fair enough.

McLean played well in the playoffs, but he also had some not so good games. People are far to quick to jump on Luongo for a few bad games and even blame him for games where the entire team didn't even show up. If I had to pick one for a 7 game SCF series I would take Luongo hands down. I really don't think people appreciate Luongo for how good he really is. I guess that won't come until it's too late and he's been moved to another team.
No one would be happier than me than to see Luo win a cup in a Vancouver uniform. Could you imagine the story? "The much maligned Luongo finally gets it done!"

It's just that I've seen the meltdowns that have probably cost us playoff series and I refuse to gloss over that. I know all the arguments - I've seen them time and time again and I don't want to get into them again. I also think he got a bit of a raw deal last season against LA. He wasn't playing bad. But I also understood the need for a shake-up.

McLean, Linden, they took the team on their backs in 1994 (along with Bure of course), and that was my happiest (and then saddest) moment as a Canucks fan. Maybe that's why I voted the way I did.

__________________
Uncle Jed, I decided I ain't gonna be a brain sturgeon.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  #30
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And you think the Canucks of 2011 had any business getting to game 7 of the SCF based on the offensive output they put up? Or based on their entire defensive corps being injured?
Yes, absolutely.

  Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  #31
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,079
vCash: 500
Luongo add Schneider

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  #32
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
An overall body of work with the franchise should supersede one moment.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:19 PM
  #33
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
No one would be happier than me than to see Luo win a cup in a Vancouver uniform. Could you imagine the story? "The much maligned Luongo finally gets it done!"

It's just that I've seen the meltdowns that have probably cost us playoff series and I refuse to gloss over that. I know all the arguments - I've seen them time and time again and I don't want to get into them again. I also think he got a bit of a raw deal last season against LA. He wasn't playing bad. But I also understood the need for a shake-up.

McLean, Linden, they took the team on their backs in 1994 (along with Bure of course), and that was my happiest (and then saddest) moment as a Canucks fan. Maybe that's why I voted the way I did.
Are you seeing Luongo melting down, or are you seeing the Canucks team melting down? I contend that Luongo took this team on his back in 2011 and that's the reason why we got as far as we did, and had the opportunity to win a Stanley Cup. The offensive showing from our key players was appalling. If we trade Luongo this season and don't get any impact players in return, I guarantee you'll see the first "Schneider meltdown" in these playoffs. Of course hopefully by then people will realize it's more than just the goalie melting down and that the team we have is a lot more mentally fragile, lacking leadership, and doesn't have the heart that the 1994 team had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Yes, absolutely.
I don't understand this at all, but okay.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:21 PM
  #34
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Luongo add Schneider
Schneider doesn't have the body of work here to be judged accurately yet. He would be competing with players that started in goal for years. Feel free to use the "other" option though and state your case if you haven't voted yet.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:21 PM
  #35
kootenayfan
Registered User
 
kootenayfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southeastern BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
It's a real toss up for me between Luongo and McLean

McLean was the best goalie the Canucks ever had up to that point, and Luongo is the best goalie since McLean.

They have both been the same distance..Game 7 of the Cup Final..but that's where the comparison gets harder, they were on two different type of teams and in different era's. The '94 team had no problem scoring in the final..whereas the '11 team did.

I would take either in a Cup run.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:22 PM
  #36
MTechnik
Clutch
 
MTechnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 105
Luongo AINEC seriously people need to forget 94 and move on.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:23 PM
  #37
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayfan View Post
It's a real toss up for me between Luongo and McLean

McLean was the best goalie the Canucks ever had up to that point, and Luongo is the best goalie since McLean.

They have both been the same distance..Game 7 of the Cup Final..but that's where the comparison gets harder, they were on two different type of teams and in different era's. The '94 team had no problem scoring in the final..whereas the '11 team did.

I would take either in a Cup run.
I strongly believe that Luongo behind that 1994 team would have won the Cup, whereas McLean behind our 2011 playoff team probably loses in 5.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
  #38
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,793
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Are you seeing Luongo melting down, or are you seeing the Canucks team melting down? I contend that Luongo took this team on his back in 2011 and that's the reason why we got as far as we did, and had the opportunity to win a Stanley Cup. The offensive showing from our key players was appalling. If we trade Luongo this season and don't get any impact players in return, I guarantee you'll see the first "Schneider meltdown" in these playoffs. Of course hopefully by then people will realize it's more than just the goalie melting down and that the team we have is a lot more mentally fragile, lacking leadership, and doesn't have the heart that the 1994 team had.
Told you I'm not getting into it. Your argument is and always has been a case of whatabouterry. You refuse to see that Luongo has laid a huge turd at times and to deflect from that you point out other turd layers. One turd layer does not excuse another turd layer.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:25 PM
  #39
Intoewsables
 
 
Intoewsables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 717
I could buy an argument around the idea that Luongo has yet to reach another level in his game during the postseason, but suggesting that he's mentally weak/unstable is such media-generated drivel.

Not to suggest that anyone picking McLean/Brodeur over Luongo is saying that, but I imagine it'll come up soon enough.

Intoewsables is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
  #40
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,775
vCash: 500
Remember our goalie situation before 2006....yeah...

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
  #41
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 24,688
vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Which of those goalies got swept in the SCF?

Which of those goalies posted 2 1-0 shutouts in the SCF?

Here's an interesting stat: Richard Brodeur had more offensive support in the first 2 games against the Islanders (that he lost both of) than Luongo had in the entire 7 game series versus the Bruins.
Comparing total goals across different eras is a poor tactic.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  #42
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Told you I'm not getting it. Your argument is and always has been a case of whatabouterry. You refuse to see that Luongo has laid a huge turd at times and to deflect from that you point out other turd layers. One turd layer does not excuse another turd layer.
That's not true at all. I have recognized his bad games. My point is there are some people, like yourself, who clearly want to lay blame to Luongo for the teams bad games. A goalie can only do so much, but when the team in front of him clearly quits on the game or is grossly outplayed by the other team of course the goalie is going to look bad. That 1994 team had no quit in them and they played hard in every game they played in. The 2011 team was prone to quitting midway through the game if things weren't going their way.

As I said in a previous post, I think Luongo with the 1994 team would have won the Cup, whereas McLean behind the 2011 team wouldn't have even gotten to game 7. Based on that I pick Luongo and it's not even close. McLean's other playoff years were pretty up and down too.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  #43
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 24,688
vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I strongly believe that Luongo behind that 1994 team would have won the Cup, whereas McLean behind our 2011 playoff team probably loses in 5.
Yet, you have no facts to support this ridiculous claim.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
  #44
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I strongly believe that Luongo behind that 1994 team would have won the Cup, whereas McLean behind our 2011 playoff team probably loses in 5.
Because it's totally fair to compare the stand-ups of the 80's/90's to the butterfliers of today

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  #45
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,592
vCash: 500
I voted McLean. Big fan of both him and Luongo - and it was a close call for me, I got to see them both in their primes - but I give McLean the edge.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
  #46
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evil Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,310
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Yet, you have no facts to support this ridiculous claim.
That would be why he said, strongly believes and did not end that sentence with the word fact.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  #47
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Yet, you have no facts to support this ridiculous claim.
Yet, you have no facts to support your claim that my beliefs are ridiculous. At least I stated it was my belief, and not hard fact.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
  #48
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 24,688
vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Yet, you have no facts to support your claim that my beliefs are ridiculous. At least I stated it was my belief, and not hard fact.
I believe Luongo would have caved under pressure during the 94' run. Calgary would have won in five games. See how dumb it is?

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
  #49
Steve Bennett*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
I went with Luongo as he has been pretty consistent over his tenure here. His playoff numbers have been inconsistent but the team's offensive numbers have been worse and never really gave him that many breaks. McLean was excellent for a couple years and one long playoff drive with perhaps the biggest save in franchise history against Reichel (the other big save you could argue was Luongo on Sharp in game 7 OT - but the save was not as impressive but maybe as important)...

The only reason Cloutier has any kind of positive numbers with the Canucks was because of the talent in front of him. He was a pretty bad goalie for NHL starter level. Still to this day I curse that goal from Lidstrom at centre ice in game 3 in Vancouver that led to that game's demise, that series' demise, and Dan Cloutiers' confidence, and the team and fans confidence in him. After watching what the Kings did last season as the #8 seed you could argue the Canucks looked like that back in '02 until that unfortunate goal...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
  #50
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
We know this much - three of those goalies were good enough to get us into the finals - any ranking of those three should also acknowledge that they were all good enough to win it all, in slightly different circumstances.


Last edited by Dado: 02-09-2013 at 06:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.