HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

An inconvenient truth: More polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Old
02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
What scientific claim did I make?
Your entire thread is based around the fact that global warming is false. Your entire thread was made to discredit global warming. Don't play stupid. You normally are stupid, so pretending just seems weird.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Your entire thread is based around the fact that global warming is false. Your entire thread was made to discredit global warming. Don't play stupid. You normally are stupid, so pretending just seems weird.
The fact is he never makes a claim so as to save his ass from actually having to back up his trolling antics.

The guy is the definition of cowardly.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:59 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
For sure.

OT: That Colton Orr punch was amazing.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
For sure.

OT: That Colton Orr punch was amazing.
Agreed. Been a while since I saw something so full of awesome.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:08 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Canadian government still fighting a ban on the international trade of polar bear parts.

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/02/10/pol-canada-management-of-polar-bears-at-risk.html[url]

Quote:
Figures compiled by the U.S.-based Natural Resources Defense Council suggest the yearly number of polar bear skins offered at auction increased 375 per cent between 2007 and 2012, from 40 to 150. As well, the average price doubled to about $5,200 for a single skin.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Climate change related, so I figured I'd put it here instead of starting another thread.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...y_default.html

Antiscience “Academic Freedom” Bill Dies in Kansas

Dies because the bill was submitted too late.

Quote:

But somehow, these champions of nonsense in state legislatures always seem to want to point out only some fields of science, like climatology, biology (specifically—can you guess?—evolution), and sometimes more focused topics like the Big Bang. What all these scientific fields have in common—besides being true—is that many on the far right hate them, either for ideological or religious reasons.

Of course, reality doesn’t care what you think. The planet’s still warming up whether you know it is or not.

Anyway, isn’t it odd that the crafters of these bills always choose those particular topics? If they really care about science, why be so specific? Why not teach kids to think critically about, say, gravity? Or chemistry? Or Newton’s laws?
Odd indeed..

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...tion-disproves

Rep. Steve Scalise Claims Obama Wearing Coat at Inauguration Disproves Climate Change

Quote:
“He talked about global warming at his inauguration, I found it ironic that the President was wearing a trench coat it was so cold but he’s talking about global warming,” Rep. Scalise said
Republicans are job killers, trying to take jobs away from the writers at the Onion

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post

Rep. Steve Scalise Claims Obama Wearing Coat at Inauguration Disproves Climate Change

Republicans are job killers, trying to take jobs away from the writers at the Onion
It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

I'm sure there are idiots in my area of the country that are using this year's high snow total and recent cold snap as some sort of proof against climate change, too. Even though for November, December, and January our temperatures ran above normal, and the fact that many of our snow storms were actually fueled by tropical moisture, or how, you know, climate is not weather.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

I'm sure there are idiots in my area of the country that are using this year's high snow total and recent cold snap as some sort of proof against climate change, too. Even though for November, December, and January our temperatures ran above normal, and the fact that many of our snow storms were actually fueled by tropical moisture, or how, you know, climate is not weather.
The real funny part is where they don't understand simple scientific method procedures.

The fact is even if this year saw record lows across the board everywhere (in fact, many places, including Southern Ontario, where I am situated, have been well below normal regularly for the last 3 1/2-4 months), that still wouldn't prove anything because that's a single data point. Coming up with a theory or disproving one with a single data point is the single most unscientific thing you can do.

I really don't get these amateur scientists who think they're being smarter than the real scientists about this because they can observe what's happening. Observation is only part of the battle. Relevant and significant statistics and testing and duplicating results are what really show proper results, not simple observation.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post

Some more brainfodder for the mindless

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
I can't find our huge climate change thread, so I'll post this here:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...lly-the-deeps/

Long story short: the deep ocean has been acting as an even greater heat sink than scientists originally thought. The current model suggests we'll see an even greater increase in air temperatures when/if the sea current changes again.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:10 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I love how people care so much about polar bears but they would eat your face off in an instant if they had the chance. I have to confront my reality here and say I don't care about polar bears.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Sharpshooter1

vCash: 550
Right, because they had the ability to accurately count the numbers of polar bears 40 years ago.

And the fact that they had a hunting ban is the sole reason why more are alive today than 40 years ago.

Lastly, just because the PB population has recovered from almost being hunted into extinction, doesn't mean that climate change isn't a real threat to their natural habitat, hunting/feeding grounds, or their current numbers.

The article is a joke, but not moreso than the logic attempting to be inferred.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote