HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year?

Old
02-09-2013, 05:50 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
I made a booboo.

Posts should be back here in a second.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:51 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If they lose tomorrow against Columbus, woo boy, it will be ugly on this board ...
Oh yeah, i think i'll pass on the HFOIL experience if we lose tomorrow
I just wanna win

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Agent Zero

Don't know why people are losing their minds. Times are tough considering we are missing three veterans in Horcoff, Belanger, and Ryan Jones. Yes we are not scoring goals but at least we are in contention every game. These are the growing pains of a young team. I'm not surprised with our recent performances. Younger players are consistent at one thing and that's inconsistency.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
Don't know why people are losing their minds. Times are tough considering we are missing three veterans in Horcoff, Belanger, and Ryan Jones. Yes we are not scoring goals but at least we are in contention every game. These are the growing pains of a young team. I'm not surprised with our recent performances. Younger players are consistent at one thing and that's inconsistency.
Rational thought is not appreciated on these boards. Good day to you sir.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Agent Zero

One area where management has failed this year is adding an elite respected veteran. Reason why Detroit organization has been successful is that they've had elite players like Stevie Y, Lidstrom, Federov mentoring younger players like the Datysuk and Zetterberg. Now its Datysuk and Zetterbergs who are mentoring Flippula and Brunner. Key is there consistent mentoring going on.

Our mentors aka Horcoff, and Smyth can only relate so much to our young kids because they lack that elite level talent. Advice coming from Horcs compared to Stevie Y is taken differently due to the greatness of accomplishments of one to the other. Its been a real long time since we have had such elite veterans but doesn't stop you from adding via UFA.

My point being it would have been nice if Tambo would of added Jagr this offseason. Would of gave us three solid lines but more importantly a future HHOF that our elite talents could learn from.

Messages gets across a lot better when its coming from a veteran such as Jagr. Or when you see Jagr respect his coach, training staff... etc. It teaches the kids the professionalism that it takes to acheieve success. Ales Hemsky might be the last guy off the ice with a veteran like Jagr, because I could see Jagr challenging him to be better. Taylor Hall might learn less is more, pass and move, let the puck do the work. Nugent-Hopkins may realize the value of getting pucks to the net.

Its something management should be looking to address. Winning is contagious. Comes from players that have been succesful.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Njoy Oilers

Ask this question on the main board, then never return. Infraction city!

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Johnny Canuck

I believe the pundits picked the oils to make the playoffs because of the quality of their competition. I don't think anyone expected Anaheim to be tied for the lead in pacific 10 game in. At the same time I doubt many would have thought LA would struggle like they are coming out of the gate.

So from the teams which are expected to duke it out for 7th and 8th spots, I can see why many thought oilers would make the playoffs.

Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas
Phoenix
Edmonton
Colorado

I personally like Nashville and Dallas from that group. However you can see why many felt oilers would contend for a playoff spot. Which by the way is a race they are still in.

Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:22 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
One area where management has failed this year is adding an elite respected veteran. Reason why Detroit organization has been successful is that they've had elite players like Stevie Y, Lidstrom, Federov mentoring younger players like the Datysuk and Zetterberg. Now its Datysuk and Zetterbergs who are mentoring Flippula and Brunner. Key is there consistent mentoring going on.

Our mentors aka Horcoff, and Smyth can only relate so much to our young kids because they lack that elite level talent. Advice coming from Horcs compared to Stevie Y is taken differently due to the greatness of accomplishments of one to the other. Its been a real long time since we have had such elite veterans but doesn't stop you from adding via UFA.

My point being it would have been nice if Tambo would of added Jagr this offseason. Would of gave us three solid lines but more importantly a future HHOF that our elite talents could learn from.

Messages gets across a lot better when its coming from a veteran such as Jagr. Or when you see Jagr respect his coach, training staff... etc. It teaches the kids the professionalism that it takes to acheieve success. Ales Hemsky might be the last guy off the ice with a veteran like Jagr, because I could see Jagr challenging him to be better. Taylor Hall might learn less is more, pass and move, let the puck do the work. Nugent-Hopkins may realize the value of getting pucks to the net.

Its something management should be looking to address. Winning is contagious. Comes from players that have been succesful.
We tried signing Jagr once already and he decided that Russia would be preferable.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
doubledown99

Relax. We are a young team and there will be growing pains.

The Oilers problem (still) is defense. Get a legit #1 an watch how this team improves

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Eskie Jetski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Ask this question on the main board, then never return. Infraction city!

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Soundwave

One thing I will say and I kinda hate to say it, but if the Oilers are not in serious playoff contention in say 12-15 games, and RNH's shoulder is still not 100%, I think you shut him down and get the surgery on the shoulder if that's what the docs are saying.

Better to have him 100% for next year than pointlessly putting off surgery for next summer.

Play Hall at center for the last 20+ games if need be. Might as well try that experiment now too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 800
Quote:
If they lose tomorrow against Columbus, woo boy, it will be ugly on this board ...
They are very similar to Columbus; but I expect them to beat Columbus. I live in Columbus and see a lot of CBJ games.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
People need to sit back and ask themselves this question. When the oldest player in your top 6 is 28 and the next oldest is 22, exactly how much are you really expecting out of them? I want the team to win just as bad as anyone else, but I also don't want the panic of the fans to force the hand on a trade that could trade in a strong future for this team, for some short term minor success.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

At least this year we know better to keep our mouths shut after a couple of decent games, but I'm getting tired of the media gushing about the "young talented Oilers".

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
People need to sit back and ask themselves this question. When the oldest player in your top 6 is 28 and the next oldest is 22, exactly how much are you really expecting out of them? I want the team to win just as bad as anyone else, but I also don't want the panic of the fans to force the hand on a trade that could trade in a strong future for this team, for some short term minor success.
The sad part about that is the 28/29 year old probably has the lowest or second lowest hockey IQ of the top six.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
The sad part about that is the 28/29 year old probably has the lowest or second lowest hockey IQ of the top six.
It's unfortunate, but even though all 5 of the other guys in the top 6 will be better then Hemmer at some point in their careers, he still plays the NHL game better than all but Eberle and Nuge.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Rejean31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
At least this year we know better to keep our mouths shut after a couple of decent games, but I'm getting tired of the media gushing about the "young talented Oilers".
I've said for years that Kevin Lowe must slip members of the media a $50 spot for every time they mention young and Oilers in the same sentence.

Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Byakin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise
You must be frustrated, but let's not go too overboard with such a ridiculous comment.

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Well Kronwall seems to think we're "A hell of a team."

I think you used the wrong curse word there, Nik.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
I've said for years that Kevin Lowe must slip members of the media a $50 spot for every time they mention young and Oilers in the same sentence.
Probably the same amount the Sutters/Feaster slips the Calgary media to mention "playoff contention" and "Flames" the last few years

Old
02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Probably the same amount the Sutters/Feaster slips the Calgary media to mention "playoff contention" and "Flames" the last few years
At least Feaster learned after last year not to guarantee a playoff spot.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Well Kronwall seems to think we're "A hell of a team."

I think you used the wrong curse word there, Nik.
Four years of backwards praise and condescension from opposition teams.

I especially enjoy it when the Sedins praise Edmonton's tremendous skill.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Four years of backwards praise and condescension from opposition teams.

I especially enjoy it when the Sedins praise Edmonton's tremendous skill.
Maybe they just haven't mastered English yet.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
whoa, a Rejean appearance...now you know the Oil are doing bad when he's trolling here

still would rather have the Oilers roster over the Flames old and broken roster

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Bull. Look at the performance of hall eberle hopkins the addition of Schultz, gagner playing better. If we as fans don't expect the team to be much better than last year then as a group we should be calling for the heads of management that 2 years ago bleated that 'we will not be contention for a high pick again.'
They'll be better, they already are. Failing to improve this year would be a bigger abomination than the last 5 years combined. However, they're not gonna be better to the extent of jumping 6 (or more) spots in the conference, like a lot of the national media and betting public thought just weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
With Yakupov, I was hoping for maybe an extra goal from the second line per game.

And to be fair, we've actually gotten some of that.
Perhaps an extra goal against per game too?

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote