HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 08:42 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
For some reason I hope we get 4th overall and draft Barkov. He seems legit, and there's so much less pressure at the 4 spot than the 1 or 2.
I would be very pleased if we draft Barkov. Kid is dominating SM-Liiga already...

Old
02-02-2013, 11:10 AM
GamingGiant

If the Avs end up with a top-5 pick I would be happy with any of the available players.

Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, etc. All would help this team.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
If the Avs end up with a top-5 pick I would be happy with any of the available players.

Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, etc. All would help this team.
Agreed I would be happy with any of the 4 as well as Lindholm or Nichushkin

Old
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

If we end up in a 7-11 range I'd like to see us take Ristolainen or Nurse. Think Ristolainen will be a damn good Dman in the NHL, but Im not sure management will be interested in him since we already have a similar prospects in Siemens.

Then again we also have a couple offensive guys in Barrie and Elliott. So I could probably see management go for a forward in this draft unless theres a Dman they're really high on. Shinkaruk or Domi would be good pick ups too.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
If we end up in a 7-11 range I'd like to see us take Ristolainen or Nurse. Think Ristolainen will be a damn good Dman in the NHL, but Im not sure management will be interested in him since we already have a similar prospects in Siemens.

Then again we also have a couple offensive guys in Barrie and Elliott. So I could probably see management go for a forward in this draft unless theres a Dman they're really high on. Shinkaruk or Domi would be good pick ups too.
Ristolainen has some offense in his game, but I'm not sure if he will be used for that or if that translates to the NHL.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Jones being the son of an NBA player might make the Kronke's aware they own a hockey team.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Let`s say we get the third overall, who would be better for us to get Barkov or Drouin?

Old
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Foppa Frossa

Goaltending in WSH will lead them all the way to number one (overall pick)

Old
02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Goaltending in WSH will lead them all the way to number one (overall pick)
So glad that the Avs got Varlamov from Washington. I wonder how the Caps (both the management and fans) think of the trade now?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:24 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
Let`s say we get the third overall, who would be better for us to get Barkov or Drouin?
I think it depends on the O'reilly situation. If they trade O'reilly than Barkov and Duchene could be our 1-2 punch going forward. If we keep him than Drouin would be great, I think he would really mesh well with Duchene.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So glad that the Avs got Varlamov from Washington. I wonder how the Caps (both the management and fans) think of the trade now?
Why would they think any differently now? They got another team to overpay for an asset that wasn't going to stick around.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Why would they think any differently now? They got another team to overpay for an asset that wasn't going to stick around.
How is a first round pick for a starting goaltender an over-payment?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Varlamov wasn't going to the KHL. He made it clear during THIS lockout that he prefers the NHL. That doesn't mean he loves his home country any less, but he is a competitor, and wants to compete at the highest level, and that's the NHL.

And for the last effing time, we didn't overpay. Considering the word was that we were shopping the 11th overall pick in the draft (that we used for Siemens) HARD leading up to the draft (rumors we were talking to either LA or Vancouver, potentially both) means that we were going to have to give a 1st rounder for a young, up-and-coming netminder.

Add to that that I think we got the most talented one in Varlamov, then I don't think it was bad at all. Remember, we traded JML for a 2nd rounder (Boston's) and then used THAT 2nd round pick and coupled it w/ our 1st rounder and got Varlamov.

So you're telling me that you wouldn't trade a 1st and JML (essentially) for a goalie of Varlamov's talent AND potential?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Varlamov wasn't going to the KHL. He made it clear during THIS lockout that he prefers the NHL. That doesn't mean he loves his home country any less, but he is a competitor, and wants to compete at the highest level, and that's the NHL.

And for the last effing time, we didn't overpay. Considering the word was that we were shopping the 11th overall pick in the draft (that we used for Siemens) HARD leading up to the draft (rumors we were talking to either LA or Vancouver, potentially both) means that we were going to have to give a 1st rounder for a young, up-and-coming netminder.

Add to that that I think we got the most talented one in Varlamov, then I don't think it was bad at all. Remember, we traded JML for a 2nd rounder (Boston's) and then used THAT 2nd round pick and coupled it w/ our 1st rounder and got Varlamov.

So you're telling me that you wouldn't trade a 1st and JML (essentially) for a goalie of Varlamov's talent AND potential?
Holy heck stop with the hindsight.
We did overpay. Varlamov was in an uglier contract dispute than ROR. He was all said to go to the KHL and a had a ton of questionmarks. Sherman did McPhee the biggest favor ever and traded an unprotected 1st for him.
After finishing 2nd!!!!!!!!!!! worst in the league.
This was horrible valuewise. We lucked out and in hindsight I would make this deal certainly every time. But we got lucky.

If you trade Ryan O'Reilly for a 2nd round pick it is a horrible trade.
If the second round pick turns out to be the next Crosby, we got very lucky and will be happy with the trade.
Does not change the fact that we horribly overpaid.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:06 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Holy heck stop with the hindsight.
We did overpay. Varlamov was in an uglier contract dispute than ROR. He was all said to go to the KHL and a had a ton of questionmarks. Sherman did McPhee the biggest favor ever and traded an unprotected 1st for him.
After finishing 2nd!!!!!!!!!!! worst in the league.
This was horrible valuewise. We lucked out and in hindsight I would make this deal certainly every time. But we got lucky.

If you trade Ryan O'Reilly for a 2nd round pick it is a horrible trade.
If the second round pick turns out to be the next Crosby, we got very lucky and will be happy with the trade.
Does not change the fact that we horribly overpaid.
I don't see what hindsight you're referring to.

We were shopping our KNOWN 11th overall pick in the 2011 draft but none of the teams would bite on JUST that, we would have had to give more.

We traded our 2012 1st overall, yes it was an unknown pick at the time, but we also added the 2nd round pick that we acquired for JML.

So it breaks down, essentially, as 1st overall and JML (2nd Round Pick BOS) for Varlamov.

I will make that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Sherman makes ballsy trades, like a lot of us said at the time of that trade. The EJ and Varlamov trades GAVE us KEY players in positions that we needed them in. We had been searching for that #1 Defensemen, and that's EJ. We had been in desperate need of a QUALITY starting goaltender, and Varlamov gives us that in spades.

And please, like I said. Varlamov going to the KHL was all leverage in my opinion. He LOVES playing in the NHL, as evidenced by the fact that the as soon as the lockout was announced to be over, he was on the first flight back. In fact, in Eurolanche's interview with O'Reilly, he touched on this

Quote:
How it was played against Varlamov?

It was great. He did not in get until the third period. He is great goaltender. I would rather have on my team (laugh).

What did you told him at the end of the game?

We talked a little bit. We talked how different is Russia from Denver. He is from that city, he is happy to home playing. He is excited for the season got again. He definitely likes play in the NHL.

http://wwww.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2313

But really, I guess it doesn't matter. Everyone has already formed their opinion of the trade, some liked it, some don't (although are happy that we have Varlamov).

Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
How is a first round pick for a starting goaltender an over-payment?
11th overall pick plus a 2nd rounder for a goaltender that didn't want to be with Washington, and where the franchise in question had depth in that position. You have the blinders on if you don't think it's an overpayment from a supposedly rebuilding team.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:14 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Sherman makes ballsy trades, like a lot of us said at the time of that trade. The EJ and Varlamov trades GAVE us KEY players in positions that we needed them in. We had been searching for that #1 Defensemen, and that's EJ. We had been in desperate need of a QUALITY starting goaltender, and Varlamov gives us that in spades.
We aren't that much better of a team now than we were a while ago despite the 'ballsy trades'. The team just needs to suck its way into winning because it certainly isn't being managed very well.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Foppa2118

It was an overpayment at the time because the 1st was unprotected, and given the injuries, inconsistency, and KHL factor. McPhee swindled Sherman into thinking he didn't really have to move him and given such his value was high, and Sherman was desperate because he missed out on his other targets and needed a goalie badly. Luckily it appeared to work out though.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
We aren't that much better of a team now than we were a while ago despite the 'ballsy trades'. The team just needs to suck its way into winning because it certainly isn't being managed very well.
There is one constant theme in that equation.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:20 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
There is one constant theme in that equation.
There are clear personnel and coaching issues, but management takes the blame for both. It was unfathomable that they extended Sacco this off-season! And for those expecting a Sacco firing, while it's possible, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was waiting for that the past few years and it never came around. The front office needs to be cleaned out from top to bottom.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
There are clear personnel and coaching issues, but management takes the blame for both. It was unfathomable that they extended Sacco this off-season! And for those expecting a Sacco firing, while it's possible, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was waiting for that the past few years and it never came around. The front office needs to be cleaned out from top to bottom.
I won't argue with that, but PL ain't going anywhere, and his philosophies on coaching styles, and GM's, and the players they pay and don't pay the big bucks are what drives everything. Kroenke don't know the difference. All he sees is his two stanley cup rings, and thinks, well he must know something, and since I know nothing about hockey, I'll keep him. He can't do any wrong, because the Kroenke's don't have any barometer for wrong when it comes to hockey.

If PL wiped his ass with a blank piece of paper, and gave it to Stan and said that was the roster and coaching staff they were going with this season, Kroenke would say, "Great Job once again Pierre, keep up the good work!"

Old
02-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

I wonder if we can outtank washington for Jones.

But anyways people are probably right in saying that Drouin is as Pracey as it gets and will probably be who we take if he's on the board - if we pick 3rd/4th I would rather take Barkov.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Glasscog

I kind of want monahan now cuz blandisi now plays with him..

Old
02-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I wonder if we can outtank washington for Jones.
We can. On paper at least, they're much, much better. And Leonsis won't sit idly by and let the current ****show in Washington take place for much longer. I'm gonna guess that McPhee will be on his way out if indeed Oates is fired, which is criminal if he's the guy headed out the door before Howson in Columbus.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 302
It's hard predicting where Avs will end up, but I think they'll end up closer to 20th than 30th. They just have, and this has been going on for five years, stretches where they look like they will never beat anyone. But I think the team, despite the fundamental problems, are too good to bottom out.

It's easy to despair right after being shut out, but remember Avs are 16-15 in even strength scoring this far and we usually get special teams into an acceptable state.

Closed Thread