Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap Space Moves...

Old
02-09-2013, 05:44 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

vCash: 500
I'd take Ryder over Iginla based on what it would probably cost the B's to get Iggy

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
jmeehan1985

I think Jagr would be the last person out of all the players talked about that I would go after. He's not a Bruins type player. Yes he could help the PP out but I don't think he should be playing anything higher then 3rd line minutes this far into his career. I think Iginla fits the Bruins type player the best. I like Ryder as well and he knows our system. But I don't know Weiss that much but he has played with Horton in the past. I hope the Bruins do something but I don't think it's much more then a player with playoff experience who can play on the 3rd line and will give you veteran leadership but only costs spare parts like a Brian Rolston type guy.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Merk57

As much as I'd love to see someone like Iginla, or Perry pull on a Bruins jersey, I'm not so sure Chia is the type of GM to give up a lot for a rental player (or at least not again like he did with Kaberle).

I took a quick peak around for a third line winger that will be a uFA playing for a basement dwelling team. What do you guys think of Prospal in Columbus? I think he might be a good fit with Kelly and Pevs and may also have the ability to move up the line up in case of injury. With a cap hit of 2.5mil, Chia could also set his sights on some defence upgrades or depth.

Prospal may not be as sexy a name as Iginla or Perry but I'm sure he comes with a much lower price tag.

Merk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:52 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk57 View Post
As much as I'd love to see someone like Iginla, or Perry pull on a Bruins jersey, I'm not so sure Chia is the type of GM to give up a lot for a rental player (or at least not again like he did with Kaberle).

I took a quick peak around for a third line winger that will be a uFA playing for a basement dwelling team. What do you guys think of Prospal in Columbus? I think he might be a good fit with Kelly and Pevs and may also have the ability to move up the line up in case of injury. With a cap hit of 2.5mil, Chia could also set his sights on some defence upgrades or depth.

Prospal may not be as sexy a name as Iginla or Perry but I'm sure he comes with a much lower price tag.
That seems a lot more PC's style, too.

02-09-2013, 09:56 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I would only deal real assets for a guy like O'Reilly or Carlson... These one and done players don't interest me for the prices you have to pay.

Bruins need a top 9 forward. You should be able to get one for a prospect (not top 5) and a 2nd. I'm not giving up #1's or a top 5 prospect for Iginla, Ryder, Morrow et all.
That would've been a solid and applicable offer 4 years ago. With parity throughout the league, expectations and demands have risen dramatically for rentals with each passing year. What used to be considered a solid offer for a player on a non-expiring contract is now the demand of a rental.

Point is, to get any player, you're likely going to have to pay through the nose.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Iginla would cost Spooner and a first IMO. this version of Iginla is not worth that.
Not enough. If Seguin and Hamilton are off the table, Feaster will be asking to clean the Bruins cupboard of legitimate prospects. 2013 1st, Spooner, Caron, and possibly Khoko. For Feaster to swing a trade to his fanbase of Iginla to Boston without getting Seguin or Hamilton, he will need to clean our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I hear what your saying dude ... Sure other teams would ask for him The bus comment I'm referring to him leaving and only getting Iggy for what could be 1 yr 20 games or soo ... Yes he could resign I acknowledge that too.. but if he doesn't and we don't win the cup ... what would you say then ?
"At least they made the attempt when they were so close."

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 10:14 PM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Bouwmeester+Iginla for Boychuk, Kelly, Subban, Knight, 2014 2nd
I wouldn't like getting rid of Kelly that much (I think he's underrated with some qualities that don't show up on the stat sheet) but I would probably do this deal.

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

These are the guys who I think would be the most likely trade targets when taking contract status, team standings / likely standings at the time of the deadline, line roles, type of player, stature and skill set, how easily replaced would the player be if a team were to trade him, asset demands in the trade to land the player, using PC's usual cost / benefit analysis etc into consideration:

Forwards:

Penner
Ryder
Morrow
Hejduk
Antropov
Ponikarovsky
Kobasew
Larose

Defenseman:

O'Byrne
Roszival
Aucoin

Old
02-09-2013, 10:30 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk57 View Post

You're right, Prospal isn't a sexy name, but he is a solid player and still pretty productive. I would like to see if he could be rejuvenated by a cup run. The move, as you said, would allow Chia flexibility to make an additional move to bolster the D core. I wouldn't be surprised to see him or another player of that ilk added to the roster. Good suggestion.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Fwiw, I actually don't want to see it happen. I think the trade deadline is fool's gold
Not to mention how much I abhor the idea of bringing Mike Ryder back... I'll take particular exception to THIS statement.

Mark Recchi, Rich Peverley, Tomas Kaberle, Chris Kelly, Dennis Seidenberg... ALL trade deadline acquisitions and ALL contributors to a Stanley Cup in Boston.

The trade deadline generally isn't the best time to re-structure the core of your roster. But it is the PERFECT time to add the pieces you feel are missing in a playoff push. You've played enough of a season to know just what you're missing.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Not enough. If Seguin and Hamilton are off the table, Feaster will be asking to clean the Bruins cupboard of legitimate prospects. 2013 1st, Spooner, Caron, and possibly Khoko. For Feaster to swing a trade to his fanbase of Iginla to Boston without getting Seguin or Hamilton, he will need to clean our house.
His fanbase has been craving a new era for the past half of a decade. If Feaster wants the Bruins to clear their cupboards, he can go pound sand. Chiarelli is more intelligent than that, and you can bet that any legitimately successful franchise has someone with at least a half a brain at the helm. No one is trading their best prospects for Iginla... and NO ONE is even going to come close to offering a player like Tyler Seguin.

Feaster can either attempt to justify his return for Iginla at the trade deadline (less than everyone will think) OR he can spend an off-season attempting to explain why he didn't get SOMETHING for his aging star after he signs elsewhere with nothing to show.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

And looking at the cap situation for next season, I believe Chiarelli is going to make an honest stab at pulling off something substantial during our shortened year.

As much as I try to make the numbers work for the roster in 2013-14, I'm always short. That means we're very likely to see a significant member of our team (or a couple) dealt for futures JUST to make space enough to function. A couple of rooks make the team and we're in a mini-rebuild for a year or two (without being a lousy hockey club).

I have a feeling that Chiarelli is gonna go for broke while he has the space and the opportunity to do so.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:30 AM
binder19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

And looking at the cap situation for next season, I believe Chiarelli is going to make an honest stab at pulling off something substantial during our shortened year.

As much as I try to make the numbers work for the roster in 2013-14, I'm always short. That means we're very likely to see a significant member of our team (or a couple) dealt for futures JUST to make space enough to function. A couple of rooks make the team and we're in a mini-rebuild for a year or two (without being a lousy hockey club).

I have a feeling that Chiarelli is gonna go for broke while he has the space and the opportunity to do so.
I have the same feeling as you regarding Chiarelli going for it this year, and I hope he does...I see next year being a "bridge" year with 2-3 first year players on the big club. I hope he can keep the top 6 together (re-sign Horton) and Tuuka and try to save on the bottom 6 for next year and hope the cap goes up in 14-15. Probably wishful thinking but they should make a strong push this year i.e. adding to the top 9 and maybe a depth defenseman at the deadline and try to hang on this off season to the big guns by moving some of the mid tier contracts and replacing them with entry level deals.

binder19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:40 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisab123 View Post
I wouldn't like getting rid of Kelly that much (I think he's underrated with some qualities that don't show up on the stat sheet) but I would probably do this deal.
well thank god you're not the GM. I wouldn't trade Boychuk for Bouwmeester straight up, let alone do this deal.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

I don't care of the price. If Iginla is available, you just get him and enjoy another great Cup run.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:23 AM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
well thank god you're not the GM. I wouldn't trade Boychuk for Bouwmeester straight up, let alone do this deal.
As I said I would be hesitant but I still would probably do this deal, even without the defenseman swap. The ultimate goal is to win a title, Iginla changes this team on the power play and fits the system like a glove, even at his age right now, if you put him on a line with a good center that can pass the puck he could have a great impact on this team. He's also at the age where I also wouldn't mind extending him a year or two not making this a rental. Thats the difference between Iginla and the Kaberle deal, they got Kaberle to help on the power play but he never played the kind of hockey the Bruins play. Iginla is one of the most obvious Bruins type players in the league. You get him and you'll be the odds on favorite to win this year without a doubt, not that the title really means much. If it was just Iginla maybe do

Knight, Subban, and 2nd that could turn into a first if Iginla hits certain performance marks for the Bruins. Subban could replace Mikka in net about two years down the road, Knight still has value but if they press me for Spooner over him then make the deal.

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
bigbadbruins1966

I agree and I'm pretty sure Iginla would fit right way in the Bruins style of play.He's a power forward that does it all (well almost) with ''finesse'' and he is strong physically.I'm sure wearing the BRUINS Jersey that he would adopt a more physical style .
Although known as a franchise player,playing with the B's probably on the the 3rd line he wouldn't feel extra pressure ... I'm sure Chia's could get him at a very decent price and would not have to sign or give him a long term contract.In return Iginla would maximise his chance to win a Stanley Cup with the Bruins. You know,you never know and it might happen ?

bigbadbruins1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
His fanbase has been craving a new era for the past half of a decade. If Feaster wants the Bruins to clear their cupboards, he can go pound sand. Chiarelli is more intelligent than that, and you can bet that any legitimately successful franchise has someone with at least a half a brain at the helm. No one is trading their best prospects for Iginla... and NO ONE is even going to come close to offering a player like Tyler Seguin.

Feaster can either attempt to justify his return for Iginla at the trade deadline (less than everyone will think) OR he can spend an off-season attempting to explain why he didn't get SOMETHING for his aging star after he signs elsewhere with nothing to show.
That's pretty much how I see it too..

The Rangers were able to get Nash without giving up all that much when you consider they were getting a 30+ goal scorer that is in his prime.

Iginla is in the twilight of his career. Hopefully he turns out like Selanne where he's also dangerous into his 40's and so even if the Bruins were to snag him, they could perhaps get a few seasons out of him and really make it worth whatever assets they give up to get him at the deadline. (although I could also see Chia letting him walk as to use that space to re-up his current roster as well which is also important)

Like I said earlier, Iginla would have to agree to go to the team first. Then that team would have to have the space. Then that team will have to have the assets. The first two drive the price down for Iginla by quite a bit as it immediately weeds out dozens of bottom feeding or middle of the pack teams and leaves only a couple of Cup favorites that I imagine Iginla would not mind going to.

So like you said, Feaster can ask for whatever he wants but if he wants any return at all for Iginla, he's going to have to accept less. Now, if another team like the Blackhawks or Penguins drive up the price and are willing to clean out their cupboard for Iginla, I say the Bruins should immediately step out of the hunt. But I also just don't see that happening.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
I don't care of the price. If Iginla is available, you just get him and enjoy another great Cup run.
There are still people on this board who complain that the Bruins overpaid for Kaberle, even though it won them a Cup.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:02 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
There are still people on this board who complain that the Bruins overpaid for Kaberle, even though it won them a Cup.
Yeah a lot of people here had preconceived notions that Kaberle would be awful before even pulling on a Bruins sweater. At that point it's basically manifest destiny.. there was nothing the guy could do to make that trade worth it and they would say anything to not only convince themselves or others that Kaberle didn't help win the Cup.. but that he was actually detrimental and the Bruins could have won it a lot easier without him

All we know for sure is that after trading for Kaberle, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.

Didn't he have the most assists among defenseman for that run, by the way? I seem to remember something like that.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:20 AM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
I'm glad your not the GM, to mortgage the future for a guy who's best years are well behind him is not a smart move, I much prefer getting back a guy like Ryder, the cost will be much less and he already knows the guys and the system, plus he is playing great.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:52 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
before we give up Spooner, a first, Koko, Knight, Subban and extend Iginla with a NMC and 18% owership can someone splice togehter 5 minutes of good play from THIS year.

I really hate to give up the future and depth for a rental, find out he cant play like the 2010 Iginla even, and next year when the inevitable injuries come we are playing with a bunch of legit AHLers

from what I see I'd give up nothing more than Caron and maybe a conditional second if the Bruins win two rounds....

Iggy looks off people- Ryder looks faster than he ever was here (check for PEDs,,,,I kid

Ryder would be my rental, but to give up a serious chunk of prospects you have to come away with Corey Perry. That is the guy- not someone who's rep is ahead of his performance.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:54 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Almost cost them a Cup is more like it.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
before we give up Spooner, a first, Koko, Knight, Subban and extend Iginla with a NMC and 18% owership can someone splice togehter 5 minutes of good play from THIS year.

I really hate to give up the future and depth for a rental, find out he cant play like the 2010 Iginla even, and next year when the inevitable injuries come we are playing with a bunch of legit AHLers

from what I see I'd give up nothing more than Caron and maybe a conditional second if the Bruins win two rounds....

Iggy looks off people- Ryder looks faster than he ever was here (check for PEDs,,,,I kid

Ryder would be my rental, but to give up a serious chunk of prospects you have to come away with Corey Perry. That is the guy- not someone who's rep is ahead of his performance.
Iginla is a notorious slow starter. Don't judge him by not having played 10 games this year.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote