HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Nick Petrecki on waivers (Cleared)

Old
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
WTFetus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Mirror View Post
think we'll try to claim tyrell?

speedy bottom 6er
Doubt it (or hope not). Sharks have enough of those type of players (they already have to scratch one of Desjardins/Galiardi/Wingels every game).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
the more i think about both those moves, and the healthy scratch of murray for tonights game.

could there possibly be a trade actually coming?

they dressed 12-6-2. if i remember correctly for the majority of the games they have dressed 7 D.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Cant Irwin just report to San Francisco and then return to the team on Sunday ?
If he were on an ELC they could do that, but they can't on a subsequent contract without the player's permission (and the NHLPA doesn't let players accept assignments to the ECHL).

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I hope he gets picked and gets a chance to play some NHL games. He's been a project player for us for a couple of years now to be honest - sounds like his game is as decent is as ready for NHL as ever, he just needs to play at that level.

The we have allot of depth on D and Nick just won't get the ice time here, so long and good luck Nick.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
here are the next TEN picks after Petrecki:

Jim O Brian
Nick Ross
TJ Brennan
Brett Maclaen
Taylor Ellington
Josh Godfrey
Tommy Cross
Joel Gistedt
Stefan Legein
Bill Sweatt

....it's not like the draft after him was any good
You mis-understand my point. It was not that Petrecki was a bad pick, it's that DW is throwing him onto waivers and essentially giving up on him. DW has a habit of treating 1st-round picks like they don't matter, and it shows up in the teams lack of depth in forwards (at the moment) and defense (in the past).

I believe DW doesn't largely pick the actual guys taken in the first round, but I think the fact that the org is generally so bad at them is why DW continues to waste them, rather than holding on and trying to get a few gems here and there. Since DW has been GM:

2003 - Takes Michalek 6th overall, passes over Ryan Suter (who went next) despite a need for defensive depth at the time.

2003 - Trades up from 21 to 16 to take Steve Bernier, passing up Parise (#17), Getzlaf (#19), Brent Burns (#20), and Corey Parry (#28).

2004 - Trades up from #28 to #21 in order to draft Kaspar. Passes up Meszaros (#22), Cory Schneider (#26), and Mike Green (#29).

2005 - Trades up from #12 to #8 to take Setoguchi. Passes up Kopitar (#11) and Marc Staal (#12).

2006 - Trades up from #20 to #16 in order to take Ty Wishart. Claude Giroux goes #22 and Patrick Berglund #25. #20 is used to take David Fischer.

2007 - Trades the 2007 Sharks 1st (#22) and Josh Gorges for Craig Rivet. #22 is used to take Max Pacioretty.

2007 - Trades pick #26 (acquired from the Devils as part of the Malakhov deal) plus Niememan and Barribal for Bill Guerin. Pick #26 is used to take David Perron.

2007 - Trades up from #13 (acquired from Toronto in Toskala deal) to #7 to draft Couture. #13 is used to take Lars Eller

2007 - Trades two 2nds (2007 and 2008) for pick #28, which is used to draft Petrecki.

2008 - Trades the 2008 1st (#26) plus Bernier for Brian Campbell. #26 is used to draft Tyler Ennis.

2009 - Traded away 2009 1st (#26) with Carle and Wishart for Dan Boyle. The 26th is used to draft Kyle Palmieri. Dylan Olsen goes #28.

2010 - Actually uses 2010 1st (#28) to draft Charlie Coyle.

2011 - Trades Coyle, Setoguchi, and 2011 1st (#28) for Burns (who he passed over in 2003 for Kaspar). #28 becomes Zach Phillips.

2012 - Actually uses 2011 1st (#17) to draft Hertl.

If DW would simply hold on to the Sharks 1st-rounders, this team would have been so much better off by now.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Thats how I feel as well. Much like Brian Burke did with Bryzgalov.
Well, your the only one who responded to my post, so I have to wonder if others would just rather just pretend they didn't see it and keep repeating their predetermined opinion that DW just sucks, a la Vaasa or passively agree and don't want to admit it.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Well, your the only one who responded to my post, so I have to wonder if others would just rather just pretend they didn't see it and keep repeating their predetermined opinion that DW just sucks, a la Vaasa or passively agree and don't want to admit it.
Logical thinking has no place here.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Its the only option. Who is Nick going to supplant? Hes NHL ready according to one of the greatest defenseman to ever lace up skates and I'm sure DW sent out feelers and got nothing. Give the kid a chance to play elsewhere. NYI is an ideal spot or even Carolina. Edmonton as well.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

What is this 4 page discussion about? There is literally no other option but to waive him.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:17 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I missed your post until now (didn't both really reading the first 3 pages), but I agree. DW looked at his options and figured waiving him was the best option. He's not going to get any better just sitting in the press-box, and he probably couldn't trade him (worth pretty much nothing alone, won't add much value as a bonus). If he gets claimed, oh well. He was quickly losing his spot on the depth chart. If he doesn't get claimed, then the Sharks can still hope that he pans out in the future.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
What is this 4 page discussion about? There is literally no other option but to waive him.
A chance to question and bash DW of course.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
No other option?

Instead of waiving him they could have set him on fire. It's a tad over the line, but they could have done it.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Instead of waiving him they could have set him on fire. It's a tad over the line, but they could have done it.
Good. Next time we'll draft a first rounder, they'll work extra hard not to bust.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Good. Next time we'll draft a first rounder, they'll work extra hard not to bust.
I'm suddenly liking this plan more and more...

Old
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
You mis-understand my point. It was not that Petrecki was a bad pick, it's that DW is throwing him onto waivers and essentially giving up on him. DW has a habit of treating 1st-round picks like they don't matter, and it shows up in the teams lack of depth in forwards (at the moment) and defense (in the past).
The bulk of your post seems to contradict this.

Regarding "first round picks don't matter".

They do matter. It is just that with this team, the value is diminished. Those first-round picks are typically going to bring moderate talent to a roster that requires much more than that to crack it. This is why DW/Burke keep swinging for the fences...a safe 3rd/2nd liner will do nothing here. We saw what happened to players like Marcel Goc, etc. They floundered because they could not get playing time.

Quote:
2003 - Takes Michalek 6th overall, passes over Ryan Suter (who went next) despite a need for defensive depth at the time.
At the time, DW's stated goal was to make the playoffs, and we had a need for a player who was NHL ready. Michalek was not only a former candidate for the first overall pick, but was widely considered the most NHL-ready.

Quote:
2003 - Trades up from 21 to 16 to take Steve Bernier, passing up Parise (#17), Getzlaf (#19), Brent Burns (#20), and Corey Parry (#28).
At the time, people were quite excited with this pick. Sharks chose to take someone who had more of the power-forward reputation. At the time, I know that the Sharks were considering taking Getzlaf at that position, but did not due to concerns over skating speed and over an organizational belief that they already had too many centers. Remember, that at the time, San Jose had Marleau, Goc, and Boyes at the center position. SJ felt that they could work with Bernier over his defensive-zone responsibility.

I'm 80% certain that Parise was passed because of size.

Quote:
2004 - Trades up from #28 to #21 in order to draft Kaspar. Passes up Meszaros (#22), Cory Schneider (#26), and Mike Green (#29).
Kaspar was billed as a potential Marian Hossa at the time, someone who could provide more value to our lineup. Schneider would have never had a role in an organization so deep in net. Mike Green most likely would never have developed as he did in our system. Meszaros hurts, but you can't win them all.

Quote:
2005 - Trades up from #12 to #8 to take Setoguchi. Passes up Kopitar (#11) and Marc Staal (#12).
This one hurts. Kopitar would have been a great pick, but remember, the Sharks were not the only organization to pass him over. Many had concerns over him. I would also be reasonably certain that SJ passed on Staal due to organization depth at that position. Remember, at the time, they had Carle (looking like a potential Norris winner), Stuart (looking like a potential Norris winner), Preissing (had a fantastic rookie season), Hannan (just come down shutting down Peter-freaking-Forsberg), Fahey (another great rookie season; would have won the Calder with a full 82-games), Ehrhoff, and Gorges.

Quote:
2006 - Trades up from #20 to #16 in order to take Ty Wishart. Claude Giroux goes #22 and Patrick Berglund #25. #20 is used to take David Fischer.
Not much explanation I can give here, save that 21 teams passed on Giroux....Wishart was, IIRC, Giles Cote's man.

Quote:
2007 - Trades the 2007 Sharks 1st (#22) and Josh Gorges for Craig Rivet. #22 is used to take Max Pacioretty.
Again, a late first-round pick usually ends up in a top-9 forward or a #4/5 defenseman. That player was not going to provide too much value for the Sharks. Besides, Rivet was eventually traded for two seconds.

Quote:
2007 - Trades pick #26 (acquired from the Devils as part of the Malakhov deal) plus Niememan and Barribal for Bill Guerin. Pick #26 is used to take David Perron.
See above argument. You can't just use who WAS picked at that position (and even given that, that he would develop the exact same way). That pick coudl just have easily been Angelo Esposito or Petrecki....

Quote:
2007 - Trades up from #13 (acquired from Toronto in Toskala deal) to #7 to draft Couture. #13 is used to take Lars Eller
This one I give to you. Couture, after all, is a terrible player.

Quote:
2007 - Trades two 2nds (2007 and 2008) for pick #28, which is used to draft Petrecki.
I love how this time, you omit the players taken with those second-round picks. Without even looking, I'm going to guess those players are busts or fringe NHLers.

Quote:
2008 - Trades the 2008 1st (#26) plus Bernier for Brian Campbell. #26 is used to draft Tyler Ennis.
See the above argument.

2009 - Traded away 2009 1st (#26) with Carle and Wishart for Dan Boyle. The 26th is used to draft Kyle Palmieri. Dylan Olsen goes #28.

I would trade Carle, Wishart, and Palmieri for Boyle alone. No question. Have you seen how important Boyle is to the Sharks? And about Olsen...has he even scored a goal in the AHL yet?

2010 - Actually uses 2010 1st (#28) to draft Charlie Coyle.

Quote:
2011 - Trades Coyle, Setoguchi, and 2011 1st (#28) for Burns (who he passed over in 2003 for Kaspar). #28 becomes Zach Phillips.
And the Sharks acquired a 2nd-round pick. Why do you omit that?

That trade is actually looking better and better for the Sharks. Ironically, Burns is exactly the player you want the Sharks to acquire when they trade youth, just like you were for the offer sheet the Sharks made to Hjlamarsson. Burns is young and signed long-term...

Quote:
If DW would simply hold on to the Sharks 1st-rounders, this team would have been so much better off by now.
Assuming that they drafted the same players, with the same development route, as they did in this reality. Which, considering the Sharks's depth, would have been highly unlikely.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Doug Wilson has made some great moves and some bad ones. I'm sure if he could go back on some of them he would.

The way I judge him is the team and franchise is in much better shape than when he took over it. I know he isn't the reason for all of that, but he's a huge one.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
The one I'm really pissed about is Setoguchi over Kopitar. Ugh.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
The one I'm really pissed about is Setoguchi over Kopitar. Ugh.
Worst result <insert biggest bestest exacerbated troll face ever> EVER!!!

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post

Assuming that they drafted the same players, with the same development route, as they did in this reality. Which, considering the Sharks's depth, would have been highly unlikely.
This is the reason why I don't buy your argument about Sharks' drafting. Development is integral and changes need to be made there as well. They need to hold these guys back until they are chomping at the bit. It is not that "poof" and they are instantly mature. Holding the carrot of an NHL job back until they are absolutely ready is a great motivator to growing up and encouraging work ethic. And work ethic has been a major factor for most of their busts. Sommer needs a lot work on how to encourage work ethic for those who are a bit short in that area.

My critique of the late first drafting for DW is that they emphasize size too much. Most of the late first/early second gems are guys who take a bit of time and are on the smaller side. And DW has passed over guys who would clearly have a job with the Sharks NHL team drafted in that area. He has missed repeatedly in that area of the draft with the criteria that he currently uses, moreso than a majority of teams. I don't want DW to overlook size, but I would prefer that he wait for guys like Doherty who don't hurt so much if the Sharks miss.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
EastBayShark

vCash: 895
"Hindsight is 20/20"

Some of you people are out of control.

EastBayShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The only way I would be okay with this decision is if sometime soon Douglas Murray and one other d-man is traded to keep Irwin in the lineup. Keeping him as a #7 is utterly pointless when he can play in Worcester. It's of little consequence regardless but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything to lose him just to create a roster spot when you could've sent Irwin down with no problems.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:39 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The only way I would be okay with this decision is if sometime soon Douglas Murray and one other d-man is traded to keep Irwin in the lineup. Keeping him as a #7 is utterly pointless when he can play in Worcester. It's of little consequence regardless but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything to lose him just to create a roster spot when you could've sent Irwin down with no problems.
And did.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Phu

Ok so ... there was a point to doing both moves, right? Sending Irwin down allowed them to start Burns tonight. Sending Petrecki is the actual preferred move, which they also did. Maybe they intend to being Irwin back sooner rather than later, and it was just procedural?

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:55 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Maybe they intend to being Irwin back sooner rather than later, and it was just procedural?
Don't see why they'd do that though. Playing 20+ minutes a night in Worcester is better than sitting in the press-box. They still have 7 NHL defensemen without Petrecki or Irwin.
Maybe it's partly a financial thing. Didn't feel the need to cover his road expenses when they don't have to.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Don't see why they'd do that though. Playing 20+ minutes a night in Worcester is better than sitting in the press-box. They still have 7 NHL defensemen without Petrecki or Irwin.
Maybe it's partly a financial thing. Didn't feel the need to cover his road expenses when they don't have to.
That is true, I mean if they don't plan to play him anytime soon then why keep him up. I guess same with Petrecki.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote