HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year?

Old
02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team does not play "river hockey", they play a tight checking game
This team with supposed "elite talent" can't score

the OKC line was dubbed "nhl ready" and is awful time and time again...5 goals in 11 games is embarassing for a 1st line

putrid ES and on the dot

they've got 1 regulation win in 11 games...let that sink in

I wasn't buying the hype as I picked them 11th in the Western Conference

My question is...do you think they're reading the press clippings?
you realize.....the season isn't over yet?

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
They are struggling mightily right now to score 5v5 but the season isn't over...

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
MIL OIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
One area where management has failed this year is adding an elite respected veteran. Reason why Detroit organization has been successful is that they've had elite players like Stevie Y, Lidstrom, Federov mentoring younger players like the Datysuk and Zetterberg. Now its Datysuk and Zetterbergs who are mentoring Flippula and Brunner. Key is there consistent mentoring going on.

Our mentors aka Horcoff, and Smyth can only relate so much to our young kids because they lack that elite level talent. Advice coming from Horcs compared to Stevie Y is taken differently due to the greatness of accomplishments of one to the other. Its been a real long time since we have had such elite veterans but doesn't stop you from adding via UFA.

My point being it would have been nice if Tambo would of added Jagr this offseason. Would of gave us three solid lines but more importantly a future HHOF that our elite talents could learn from.

Messages gets across a lot better when its coming from a veteran such as Jagr. Or when you see Jagr respect his coach, training staff... etc. It teaches the kids the professionalism that it takes to acheieve success. Ales Hemsky might be the last guy off the ice with a veteran like Jagr, because I could see Jagr challenging him to be better. Taylor Hall might learn less is more, pass and move, let the puck do the work. Nugent-Hopkins may realize the value of getting pucks to the net.

Its something management should be looking to address. Winning is contagious. Comes from players that have been succesful.
This is 100 percent true. Lack vet present big time. I find this board to be a little harsh the oilers are far from the worst team in the league and have the tools tonbe great. Taylor hall isn't some bozo running around out there either. He has insane speed and scoring ability and alought sometimes inconsistant, is a top 6 forward on any team.

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
People need to sit back and ask themselves this question. When the oldest player in your top 6 is 28 and the next oldest is 22, exactly how much are you really expecting out of them? I want the team to win just as bad as anyone else, but I also don't want the panic of the fans to force the hand on a trade that could trade in a strong future for this team, for some short term minor success.

My problem/frustration lies in the fact that we have been 'wandering in the wilderness' since 1990, albeit with the exception of 2006 and the Marchant goal.

But who among our young core are really elite? I ask in earnest. Where is our Jonathan Toews? Stevie Y? Messier?

I want this rebuild to mean something. I think we've got a few really nice pieces, but its becoming more and more of a concern with me that these young studs are maybe not as advertised.

Of all the players on this team the only guy I can project to be a HOF'er is Schultz.

When Yzerman and Towes and Stamkos etc were in their third NHL season they were dominant players.

And you dont win championships with a collection of above average guys...you always need at least one guy to be the straw the stirs the drink...

my 2 cents...

thoughts?

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
They are struggling mightily right now to score 5v5 but the season isn't over...
Agreed.

We are less than a quarter into the season and we are at .500.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
My problem/frustration lies in the fact that we have been 'wandering in the wilderness' since 1990, albeit with the exception of 2006 and the Marchant goal.

But who among our young core are really elite? I ask in earnest. Where is our Jonathan Toews? Stevie Y? Messier?

I want this rebuild to mean something. I think we've got a few really nice pieces, but its becoming more and more of a concern with me that these young studs are maybe not as advertised.

Of all the players on this team the only guy I can project to be a HOF'er is Schultz.

When Yzerman and Towes and Stamkos etc were in their third NHL season they were dominant players.

And you dont win championships with a collection of above average guys...you always need at least one guy to be the straw the stirs the drink...

my 2 cents...

thoughts?
I understand it's been frustrating that we haven't won the cup since 1990, but neither have a big chunk of teams. Beyond that though we have to look at the team in phases, the 90's team, the early 2000's, the mid-2000's, late 2000's, and then now the 2010 and on version of the team. This is a team that still has a lot of growing to do. Look at most teams that have been competing for the cup, their stars have been in the league for a while and are used to the every day ins and outs of the game. Our kids just aren't at that point quite yet.

Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz all have potential to be huge point producers over their careers, they are the guys that will be like the people you talked about above. Nuge will be a strong player in his own right and probably more of a two way force more along the Adam Oates mold. I think this year is still a year that will be up and down for them. Next year will probably see more ups then downs, and by the year after all the kids will know their games and be dangerous in their own rights on every night.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
I was expecting more scoring, that's for sure. However, goaltending has been way better than I expected.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
I understand it's been frustrating that we haven't won the cup since 1990, but neither have a big chunk of teams. Beyond that though we have to look at the team in phases, the 90's team, the early 2000's, the mid-2000's, late 2000's, and then now the 2010 and on version of the team. This is a team that still has a lot of growing to do. Look at most teams that have been competing for the cup, their stars have been in the league for a while and are used to the every day ins and outs of the game. Our kids just aren't at that point quite yet.

Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz all have potential to be huge point producers over their careers, they are the guys that will be like the people you talked about above. Nuge will be a strong player in his own right and probably more of a two way force more along the Adam Oates mold. I think this year is still a year that will be up and down for them. Next year will probably see more ups then downs, and by the year after all the kids will know their games and be dangerous in their own rights on every night.
I understand that things COULD turn out as you say. Im not even saying they won't.

But when Chicago won their Cup Towes was dominant. You could just see his hockey sense oozing. When players are that elite, you see it very early.

I'm not seeing the same thing with our group...again Schultz looks dynamite. Ebs, RNH look promising. Hall....meh. I think his career has all kinds of promise, but I worry, again as I said in my first post, he may not be the staw that stirs the drink....

But, I appreciate your input. Im certainly willing to be patient, as long as I see something to hold on to...

Maybe i just need to get out more!

Old
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I understand that things COULD turn out as you say. Im not even saying they won't.

But when Chicago won their Cup Towes was dominant. You could just see his hockey sense oozing. When players are that elite, you see it very early.

I'm not seeing the same thing with our group...again Schultz looks dynamite. Ebs, RNH look promising. Hall....meh. I think his career has all kinds of promise, but I worry, again as I said in my first post, he may not be the staw that stirs the drink....

But, I appreciate your input. Im certainly willing to be patient, as long as I see something to hold on to...

Patrick Kane really has become underrated. So much skill, it's ridiculous.

Honestly I think he might be the most purely talented player in the Western Conference. That behind the back pass or whatever it was to Hossa was ridiculous.

The other difference with Chicago is Toews is fully matured and has his man strength ... RNH will get there some day, but right now he has the build of a high school kid.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

The top 8 as it stands right now, with the exception of LA getting in, is how I saw the top 8 all along.

My only surprise with the Oilers is that the top line is not scoring more considering they all played together for a while in OKC.

Edit: crazy I posted right after you Soundwave. I think PK is the most exciting player in the league right now. His vision is just sick.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
seguino

very overhyped. i drank the whole bottle of koolaid too.
its a last place team with little upside. J Schultz is the best player we have.

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguino View Post
very overhyped. i drank the whole bottle of koolaid too.
its a last place team with little upside. J Schultz is the best player we have.
The worst part of this team is that the new players are always the best it seems. Yakupov top goal man, Schultz has been tremendous.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The worst part of this team is that the new players are always the best it seems. Yakupov top goal man, Schultz has been tremendous.
Who did you think it was going to be? Horcoff and Smid?

We knew we were bringing in elite talent with Schultz and Yak did we not?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

I have always spent a lot of time just watching small stuff in hockey, it's what my dad always taught me to do because I was never the biggest, fastest or most skilled player on the ice, so I had to always think my way through the game. Which in turn causes me to watch specifics when I watch hockey. And I actually see a lot of huge potential in all of our young guys, they remind me of various guys I've seen play in the last 25 years.

RNH - He really reminds me of Adam Oates, although he doesn't have the face off ability at this point. He sees the game very well, and moves between the zones with high efficiency. I expect him to produce to full potential within around 3 years.

Hall - I don't like the constant Messier comparisons, I actually see him as a bigger, stronger Mike Gartner. He's going to break teams with his speed, not like Messier who bullied his way into getting most of his goals.

Eberle - He's the hardest for me to make a comparison to someone else, his hands in close are insane, and he just seems to know where to be at the right time.

Yakupov - He's got a little bit of Bure and a little bit of Federov in him. You can tell he comes from the mold of Russian kids that grew up watching them. He uses his speed to try and constantly find openings in which to shoot. Although sometimes he moves around too much in the zone, making it hard for his teammates to find him.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 View Post
And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise
Man you aren't even an Oilers fan...you only care about Hall and his stats and now you call Hall a mediocre player. Your schtick has been terrible the last few years.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Who did you think it was going to be? Horcoff and Smid?

We knew we were bringing in elite talent with Schultz and Yak did we not?
Hall and Eberle should still be driving the offense and RNH should have a goal or two or three by now.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Arkham32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
One area where management has failed this year is adding an elite respected veteran. Reason why Detroit organization has been successful is that they've had elite players like Stevie Y, Lidstrom, Federov mentoring younger players like the Datysuk and Zetterberg. Now its Datysuk and Zetterbergs who are mentoring Flippula and Brunner. Key is there consistent mentoring going on.

Our mentors aka Horcoff, and Smyth can only relate so much to our young kids because they lack that elite level talent. Advice coming from Horcs compared to Stevie Y is taken differently due to the greatness of accomplishments of one to the other. Its been a real long time since we have had such elite veterans but doesn't stop you from adding via UFA.

My point being it would have been nice if Tambo would of added Jagr this offseason. Would of gave us three solid lines but more importantly a future HHOF that our elite talents could learn from.

Messages gets across a lot better when its coming from a veteran such as Jagr. Or when you see Jagr respect his coach, training staff... etc. It teaches the kids the professionalism that it takes to acheieve success. Ales Hemsky might be the last guy off the ice with a veteran like Jagr, because I could see Jagr challenging him to be better. Taylor Hall might learn less is more, pass and move, let the puck do the work. Nugent-Hopkins may realize the value of getting pucks to the net.

Its something management should be looking to address. Winning is contagious. Comes from players that have been succesful.
I think Jagr would of made a huge difference not only teaching the kids but being a leader in the locker room. When Dallas went on their 4 game skid it was jagr and the veteran core that asked coaching staff to leave the room and had a team meeting and put the team back on course. even Whitney could've been huge.

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:48 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hall and Eberle should still be driving the offense and RNH should have a goal or two or three by now.
Yeah, but really, he's not the only star slumping early. Elite goal scorers like Ovechkin went a long time without scoring. And Ovi had just as many wide open chances as RNH and didn't bury them. Sometimes when things are going bad for someone on the ice, things just always seem to go wrong. Once something goes good for him though it'll start working out.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If they lose tomorrow against Columbus, woo boy, it will be ugly on this board ...
Correction: WHEN.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Bottom 5, and still 2-3 years away from the playoffs. We still need:

1) Big physical center that can win faceoffs,
2) Size and Depth on D,
3) Some skilled size in the top 6,
4) solid goaltending .... though I believe Dubnyk will evolve into our 'guy'.

Sure looks like Tambo has a lot to do ... sadly though, he loses 9 out of 10 trades, so we have to continue to build through the draft. Remember Cole for POS ... there's a solid move.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Bottom 5, and still 2-3 years away from the playoffs. We still need:

1) Big physical center that can win faceoffs,
2) Size and Depth on D,
3) Some skilled size in the top 6,
4) solid goaltending .... though I believe Dubnyk will evolve into our 'guy'.

Sure looks like Tambo has a lot to do ... sadly though, he loses 9 out of 10 trades, so we have to continue to build through the draft. Remember Cole for POS ... there's a solid move.
Corey Perry or Getzlaf in the offseason would sure solve a lot of problems with this team.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
I have always spent a lot of time just watching small stuff in hockey, it's what my dad always taught me to do because I was never the biggest, fastest or most skilled player on the ice, so I had to always think my way through the game. Which in turn causes me to watch specifics when I watch hockey. And I actually see a lot of huge potential in all of our young guys, they remind me of various guys I've seen play in the last 25 years.

RNH - He really reminds me of Adam Oates, although he doesn't have the face off ability at this point. He sees the game very well, and moves between the zones with high efficiency. I expect him to produce to full potential within around 3 years.

Hall - I don't like the constant Messier comparisons, I actually see him as a bigger, stronger Mike Gartner. He's going to break teams with his speed, not like Messier who bullied his way into getting most of his goals.

Eberle - He's the hardest for me to make a comparison to someone else, his hands in close are insane, and he just seems to know where to be at the right time.

Yakupov - He's got a little bit of Bure and a little bit of Federov in him. You can tell he comes from the mold of Russian kids that grew up watching them. He uses his speed to try and constantly find openings in which to shoot. Although sometimes he moves around too much in the zone, making it hard for his teammates to find him.

quality post, and I appreciate your wisdom. It comes off as thoughtful, not some fan-boy who follows blindly into the abyss.

I hope you're right. I really love the Hall-Gartner comp...very astute.

Other posters have made good comments as well...Kane definitely played(s) a big part of the Blackhawks success, but man, Toews is someone that simply oozes hockey IQ...and again, when players are truly upper echelon elite it shows very early.

And we need some decent vets to support the youth movement. Why can the Leafs be a rough and tough team, adding pieces, and we can't? I dont have Leaf envy, but man they looked strong tonight and I dont even know who most of their players are...where are our depth pick-ups?

I forgot about Yak...he looks very special too, strong passion and great skills.

Cheers

Old
02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

If the Ducks move anybody it'll be Perry. It's easier to replace a scoring winger than it is to replace a centre with size. Plus Getzlaf is yet another NHLer who has been wooed by the allure of California. He doesn't want to go anywhere.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:31 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
If the Ducks keep winning they'll find a way to keep both.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If the Ducks keep winning they'll find a way to keep both.
I suspect it isn't a matter of wanting to keep them ... there is a lot of pressure on this team to make money. Broadcom as a public company does have to make money for its shareholders, and that doesnt mean continously losing in one part of the buisness while the other carries it.