Bruins reflect on Tim Thomas

Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It's horse pucky that the greatest goalie- possibly in the history of the franchise -is traded and the only full story looking back on his time in Boston is a bunch of half assed questions to players and the coach about if his personality was a distraction.

Here's hoping there is a full page spread on his legacy in Sunday's paper.
In time... likely after the official retirement happens. Doubtful before as there is a slim chance the guy could be an Islander next year after all.

I find myself hoping he does come back, but its for selfish reasons. I don't want his career ended like this... playing a year in NYI, making them far better then they actually are, and getting a rousing standing ovation on his first game back in Boston would be a far better ending to what was looking like a great fairy tale until all this.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
OrrCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Julien must be wrong when he said that he didn't think it was a distraction ... the media told us time & time again how big of a distraction Thomas was. Who's he to say otherwise?
Really? Why must Julien be wrong when he suggests he didn't think TT was a distraction? He was such a distraction that he led the team it's the first cup in nearly 4 decades.

And why would we believe the media over the coach? When it comes to hockey or anything else, especially anything with the slightest political flavor that runs counter to their worldly views, if the liberal media told me it was raining outside, I'd have to go check. Who's he to say otherwise? He's the coach!

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
Really? Why must Julien be wrong when he suggests he didn't think TT was a distraction? He was such a distraction that he led the team it's the first cup in nearly 4 decades.

And why would we believe the media over the coach? When it comes to hockey or anything else, especially anything with the slightest political flavor that runs counter to their worldly views, if the liberal media told me it was raining outside, I'd have to go check. Who's he to say otherwise? He's the coach!
I think the overrated was being sarcastic.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Errrrmmm... you might want to get this checked?

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:27 PM
81ragnaH

Quote:

Don't sweat it man, my sarcasm detector breaks frequently too. Just blame it on exhaustion from shovelling .

81ragnaH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
But the media told me snubbing the Dear leader was a crime against humanity.

Unless you snub Bush, then it is sticking up for what you believe in!
If we were to look at this in a truly objective manner, it would be clear that a lot of the negativity toward Thomas was media generated and of course as anyone with a pulse knows, the majority of the US media leans left. If the White House situation was handled objectively, we'd have read over and over again how the Red Sox GM snubbed Bush when they visited the White House. As far as I'm concerned, any article by a Boston writer about Thomas' choice to skip that visit, that didn't include the Theo angle, was unprofessional at best and biased at worst.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
If we were to look at this in a truly objective manner, it would be clear that a lot of the negativity toward Thomas was media generated and of course as anyone with a pulse knows, the majority of the US media leans left. If the White House situation was handled objectively, we'd have read over and over again how the Red Sox GM snubbed Bush when they visited the White House. As far as I'm concerned, any article by a Boston writer about Thomas' choice to skip that visit, that didn't include the Theo angle, was unprofessional at best and biased at worst.
Politically I believe George McGovern was a raging conservative, and I never gave two hoots about Thomas's non-visit to the White House.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Politically I believe George McGovern was a raging conservative, and I never gave two hoots about Thomas's non-visit to the White House.
If only the Boston sports media followed your lead. If they had just reported Thomas' explanation rather than comment on it and subsequently fanned the flames, I bet no one would have even remembered that he snubbed Obama.

I didn't even know that Theo snubbed Bush until a poster here brought it up.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
If only the Boston sports media followed your lead. If they had just reported Thomas' explanation rather than comment on it and subsequently fanned the flames, I bet no one would have even remembered that he snubbed Obama.

I didn't even know that Theo snubbed Bush until a poster here brought it up.
Not only did he snub Bush, he, Larry, and the ownership group openly campaigned for Kerry.

Yet Schilling got continually vilified for his support of Republican causes.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Not only did he snub Bush, he, Larry, and the ownership group openly campaigned for Kerry.

Yet Schilling got continually vilified for his support of Republican causes.
Disgusting. That kind of blatant hypocrisy should not exist in journalism period, never mind sports journalism.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:48 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
the more I read "conservative" and "liberal" in here, the more I want to point you all to the political forum. Please take it as the hint that it is.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
look, i respect what you're doing, but any discussion of tim thomas, for better or worse, is going to go the direction you worry it will, because there are three schools of thought with him

- don't care, play hockey
- his character was assassinated because of the lieberal media
- dude's a nutjob and we're glad he's underground now

so long as there are any members of the latter two classes that so much as post, it's going to slide down into the mud like the cesspool this place can be

i suppose there's also category four, which is going to troll everyone, but it's the internet, that's to be expected

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
- his character was assassinated because of the lieberal media
Despite my previous post where I pointed out the bias in the media, I do not fall into this group. I don't care if the kid who beat me up in elementary school became the President, I still would not snub the opportunity to visit the White House and meet the POTUS. It's a tremendous honor, and you'd think someone as patriotic as Timothy Jr. Thomas would get that.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I think the overrated was being sarcastic.
I think the sarcastic was being underrated.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Despite my previous post where I pointed out the bias in the media, I do not fall into this group. I don't care if the kid who beat me up in elementary school became the President, I still would not snub the opportunity to visit the White House and meet the POTUS. It's a tremendous honor, and you'd think someone as patriotic as Timothy Jr. Thomas would get that.
It's not an honor when you think the POTUS is an unconstitutional traitor. Just like how prior athletes refused to visit the WH when Bush was in office. It's never a wrong time to stand and up speak your mind when you feel strongly about something.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:14 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
It's not an honor when you think the POTUS is an unconstitutional traitor. Just like how prior athletes refused to visit the WH when Bush was in office. It's never a wrong time to stand and up speak your mind when you feel strongly about something.
Yep. For a lot of people it's not as simple as "well just because you're on the other side of the aisle you should go do it cause it's an honor!"

When you think the President is ruining the Country (whether you were democrat and hated Bush for similar reasons or conservative and hate Obama now), that moderate mindset of "just suck it up and do it for the team" is literally non-existant.

Don't have to like it.. it's just the way it is.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Yep. For a lot of people it's not as simple as "well just because you're on the other side of the aisle you should go do it cause it's an honor!"

When you think the President is ruining the Country (whether you were democrat and hated Bush for similar reasons or conservative and hate Obama now), that moderate mindset of "just suck it up and do it for the team" is literally non-existant.

Don't have to like it.. it's just the way it is.
Dead on, says the poli sci guy

For me, it'd be like going back stage to meet Maroon 5. I just would have zero interest in meeting them because I don't like them and there would no prestige on my end.

It's a real shame that a guy like Muhammed Ali can make a political statement and be glorified by the media in retrospect, but Tank gets vilified. Not looking to turn this into a political discussion, but it's obvious that some in the Boston media had an axe to grind for sure when it came to TT.

As for TT "quitting on the team", I mentioned this in another thread. How is he a bad guy for wanting to spend time with his family, yet the guys on the Big Bad Bruins that took the money and bailed for the WHA get a free pass?

02-09-2013, 08:32 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

because one person's politics were right and supported by a majority of persons in the area where he was popular, while the other guy's aren't and weren't

massachusetts is a cool place to live and also heavily liberal (one might even argue that the things go hand in hand) so is it any surprise that a guy who eschewed the first and lambasted the second got killed for it

Old
02-09-2013, 08:45 PM
NHRonin

Timmy was clearly a distraction....to the Habs, Flyers, Bolts and Canucks!

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
I think the sarcastic was being underrated.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Dead on, says the poli sci guy

For me, it'd be like going back stage to meet Maroon 5. I just would have zero interest in meeting them because I don't like them and there would no prestige on my end.

It's a real shame that a guy like Muhammed Ali can make a political statement and be glorified by the media in retrospect, but Tank gets vilified. Not looking to turn this into a political discussion, but it's obvious that some in the Boston media had an axe to grind for sure when it came to TT.

As for TT "quitting on the team", I mentioned this in another thread. How is he a bad guy for wanting to spend time with his family, yet the guys on the Big Bad Bruins that took the money and bailed for the WHA get a free pass?
I don't disagree that the Boston sports journos had a double standard with regards to TT and the White House, but the point of comparison should be Theo Epstein (whose non-show went mostly unnoticed), not Muhammad Ali, for pete's sake.

Ali keeps getting brought up in relation to TT, but the comparison is ludicrous on so many levels. Ali (Clay) was in fact vilified by the mainstream media for his draft evasion on conscientious objector grounds, but that's hardly the entire price he paid. He was arrested, stripped of his title and license, and couldn't box for several years (four IIRC). He fought his case all the way to the Supreme Court. He was also a black man in an era of highly polarized racial tensions, a Nation of Islam convert, and, oh yeah, the single most famous athlete in the planet (quite possibly the single most famous name worldwide, period). What's more, he was not shy about expressing his opinions in any forum...quite the contrary.

I respect Thomas for expressing himself as a citizen as well as for the struggles he's had to overcome on his road to the summit of hockey, but you just can't compare him with Ali without simplifying reality to the point of falsehood, and without, in a sense, doing a disservice to both men. So please, let's keep Ali out of this.

I do wish TT well, am grateful for what he gave to this franchise, and hope Tuukka will clear the crease of Canucks and the like with as much bear-like ferocity!

Last edited by Bone for your jar: 02-09-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

well, yes, there are few things more disgusting than white conservatives trying to use the name of minority crusaders to further their own aims, but i was trying to keep this thread from going subterranean

then again why bother

Old
02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In an NHL locker room, Thomas's views probably were in the minority.
But there's nothing wrong with that, and that's simply what Julien was saying. People of different social or political opinions work together and even live together (it happens in families too) all the time. The media wanted to make a Big Deal about it because controvesy sells.
i'll bet the fact that he has any views at all is what put him in the minority.

Mid 80's, a Soviet team comes to play an exhibition with the B's (not the red army team) and Nevin Markwart is asked "do you think games like this will help to foster mutual understanding and tolerance between our two countries?"

Markwart's answer - "huh, umm, I'm just a hockey player, I don't know about those things" (with that goofy Markwart grin on his face).

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:58 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

I'm so glad that people here can see through Hagg's and the mainstream sports media's ******** and close-to opinion tabloid perspective on the whole saga. The man believed in something, stood up for it, was demonized and politely asked to stop further questioning because it wasn't owed to the media (it was only owed to ownership and his teammates as far as I'm concerned), yet they kept pushing his buttons and they kept making it a story by creating the perceived and fictionalized distraction themselves!

If you keep publishing articles on it, of course it's going to linger because the same story keeps getting published and the same questions kept getting asked over and over and over again. Now that Claude has come out and said it was never a distraction, the only distraction that could have possibly been there was that the media kept bothering the players to ask the same damn questions and that itself was the distraction to the players. The media was the distraction, not the political stance.

Who knows, perhaps Timmy pissed off Haggs or brushed him off at some point during his coverage on any other odd story, and this was Haggs' way at getting back at him? Either way, Timmy is yet another athlete run out of Boston by the media in this town. I have no doubts in my mind that this whole ordeal played into the man's mind in deciding not to come back, giving the media a big "**** you" by having to cover a team that would be negatively impacted in the cap room department. Who in the right mind would want to come back to play in a situation where you're constantly getting berated by fans and the media alike after asking them politely to stop being bombarded by futile questions on an opinion-based matter outside of the sport you play and job you do?

If his buttons hadn't continued to be constantly pushed and his politely asked request to stop being asked all those dumb questions that no one benefited from, and many fans were frankly tired of hearing, had been followed, then perhaps we would be saying goodbye to Timmy this year on much better terms by celebrating perhaps the greatest goaltender this franchise has ever had. Instead we have this pile of filth.

The victor writes the history books and shapes the perceptions of the masses, and it's blatantly obvious here. If this whole thing had just washed over, there would be no angry callers to the radio stations decrying Thomas to be a selfish ego-driven man who distracts his entire team and we would most certainly not still be having these types of questions posed to his former teammates / coaches / the Bruins front office. There would be no reasoning that "he didn't even want to have a conversation his stance, thus it creates a distraction." Excuse me, but who are you as a sports journalist to ever demand something from a player in an opinion based area that is entirely outside of the world of sports?

While I'm glad this is over, I just wish it could've ended on better terms for both Timmy, the fans of the Bruins, his teammates, and the front office. The media can go suck it and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Thank you for running a two time Vezina winning, Conn Smythe Winning, Stanley Cup Playoff Record setting and Champion goaltender out his crease.

And for the record, I don't even happen to agree with all of Timmy's stances.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.
DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:45 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Firstly, even as a Habs fan I would love to somehow see Thomas come back to Boston one more time to finish his career in style, perhaps even with another cup. The way he was treated by the media and even several fans is exhibition A on what made me turn away from the left-wing agenda: it is nothing more than modernized sensational righteousness. Now, if I were to get into a political discussion with the guy, then I would probably disagree more than not, but I refuse to vilify a guy for that when his job is to play hockey.

Secondly, I hope no one ever suggests that Tim Thomas quit on his team. Did they not see what he did the year before to lead Boston on their cup run? Heck, has everyone forgotten the path he had to take to get him to where he landed? This man is a fighter. He would not take the season off if he felt he could, that I am convinced of.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote