HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Shanhan a ranger?

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Speculation: Shanhan a ranger?

according to blueshirt bulletin, kellykisio, someone i know from another board, and a nice, honest, reliable person, said that the msg marquee showed that shanhan was a ranger. it is of course entirely possible this is a flub on MSGs part, or it is also entirely possible the rangers are really close to signing him.

regardless, i just wanted to let u know.

Old
07-06-2006, 04:02 AM
WheresBarnaby

http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...ticleid=147112

bostonherald from a about a 1 1/2 hrs ago (3:00 am) is saying Boston's in talks. Of course that's no guarantee, but I can't find anything Rangers related.

"Interim Bruins general manager Jeff Gorton confirmed yesterday there is a mutual interest between the organization and unrestricted free agent winger Brendan Shanahan."

Kings didn't want to pay 5 million plus. They did pick up Cloutier though...

"He made an effort to sign Detroit Red Wings forward Brendan Shanahan, an unrestricted free agent, but the $5-million price tag was too much, a league source said"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 07-06-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old
07-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Ace2008

Shanny would be an ideal fit for about a dozen teams...the Key is length of contract + Bonuses which could pay as little as 500K to start and escalate up to 3-5 million if he can repeat last years 81 pts. A solid team guy whose wheels are slowing down but whose hands/will are still amazing.

Old
07-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Balej20*

If we sign Shanahan, that officially leaves no room for new young blood on the roster, unless we are replacing old young blood...which I am not a fan of.

Old
07-06-2006, 04:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i disagree, most of our prospects arent ready, and oculd do with a more time in the minors. and those that are ready, i think can push some of the 3rd line guys to the 4th line, and fasciliate trades from the 4th line.

i dont think betts, moore, orts, and possibly jason ward have set in stone jobs yet.

Old
07-06-2006, 04:32 AM
IanB

I think they're safe. They've not only shown they can effectively fill their roles, but they have good chemistry together.

Although I agree with you - I dont think anyone is "ready" to play at the NHL level except for, perhaps, Immonen. Shanhan would be signed to a short term deal because of his age and salary demands. He'll be a key addition to the team, but in the long run he's just a stop gap... when he's done, THEN the young guys will get their chance, and they'll be ready.

Old
07-06-2006, 05:44 AM
KRM

I think Shanahan would be a good fit on the Rangers.

Old
07-06-2006, 05:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Shanahan is now telling Kenny Holland he needs until this weekend(if then) before making up his mind

Quote:
The Wings continue to play a waiting game with free-agent forward Brendan Shanahan. His agent, Rick Curran, told Holland on Wednesday that Shanahan won't decide until this weekend, at the earliest, on whether to accept the Wings' offer
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/storie...000.xml&coll=1

Detroit has a 1 year/$4 million offer on the table or a 2 year deal at a lower figure

Old
07-06-2006, 05:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Shanahan wants $5 million per

Quote:
He made an effort to sign Detroit Red Wings forward Brendan Shanahan, an unrestricted free agent, but the $5-million price tag was too much, a league source said
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true

He is Dean Lombardi who met with Shanahan Tuesday in LA

Old
07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Rangerboy I posted that already LOL, LOOK UP ^

Old
07-06-2006, 07:29 AM
IanB

Quote:
Please note: Blueshirt Bulletin is NOT reporting anything about Brendan Shanahan. A reader has posted a comment about something possibly seen on the MSG marquee -- we have no information whatsoever on what was seen, nor do we have any information on Brendan Shanahan.
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Old
07-06-2006, 08:41 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Shanahan would make a perfect hired gun at the deadline for a prospect/second rounder or lower, and a good PP guy for the playoffs. He's not, at this stage in his career, a guy you offer a 2-4 year deal to. He's had a very cozy situation in Detroit for a long time. Things are different here. We saw Robitaille the all-star regress the minute he got to MSG, then go back to his old form in LA.

Let's not forget this was his walk year. Also, if Nylander and Straka are playing with Jagr (a line I don't want to break up), then which playmaker is feeding Shanahan all those passes in the slot? Cullen?

Let Philly sign him for a couple, he'll stink the playoffs, then retire.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
MDurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Shanahan would make a perfect hired gun at the deadline for a prospect/second rounder or lower, and a good PP guy for the playoffs. He's not, at this stage in his career, a guy you offer a 2-4 year deal to. He's had a very cozy situation in Detroit for a long time. Things are different here. We saw Robitaille the all-star regress the minute he got to MSG, then go back to his old form in LA.

Let's not forget this was his walk year. Also, if Nylander and Straka are playing with Jagr (a line I don't want to break up), then which playmaker is feeding Shanahan all those passes in the slot? Cullen?

Let Philly sign him for a couple, he'll stink the playoffs, then retire.
Thats a little harsh criticsm for one of the top power fowards out there. He may be getting up there in age, but a 1 year deal to put him on the 2nd line with Prucha and Cullen/Immonen would really help out the team and give us a legit option behind Jagr. Also as you said if its not working out he can then be dealt at the deadline and add another decent prospect or 2 to our system.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDurst View Post
Thats a little harsh criticsm for one of the top power fowards out there. He may be getting up there in age, but a 1 year deal to put him on the 2nd line with Prucha and Cullen/Immonen would really help out the team and give us a legit option behind Jagr. Also as you said if its not working out he can then be dealt at the deadline and add another decent prospect or 2 to our system.

he's been a no-show in the playoffs the last three years. That doesn't mean he can't be a Verbeek-style producer for us on the wing, but he won't be playing with the horses he had in Detroit. But I guess you're right...a one-year deal probably won't be a bad idea.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Shannanhan fills a need bette than Sykora or Rucinsky in that he provides physical play, north-south play, with secondary scoring.

07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If he's replacing a vet from last year I say YES

He scored 40 Goals last year.

Give him a sweet 1 year deal loaded with bonus incentives for a strong year

Old
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
shoothepuck

He's just fishing, no way he turns down Detroits 2 year deal.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
robertch

I'd give Shanny the $5 million one year deal.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

is that 5 million for 1 year or 5 over 2 or 3?

If it's over 1 year then I'd probably give it to him, why not? It's not as if that moneys going to be spent elsewhere anyway, so it's ok to overpay if your only doing it for one year, hell give him 6 million over 1 year, it really doesn't matter. I would not commit that type of money to him for anymore than 1 year though.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Shanahan is like the NHLPA's most storied and vocal crusader. No way in hell he takes a paycut or hometown discount. He's going to where the money is highest, even if it was Pittsburgh or the Island. It's almost the same as with Glavine winning 20 games in his walk year, leaving Atlanta (the org he spent almost 20 years with) and their 95-win seasons for the then lowly Mets, then tanking. It took Glavine 3 years to be worth the money they paid him.

Shanahan scored 40 in his walk year. The year before he was 25-28-53. Before that he scored 30. I'm predicting under 30 goals this season wherever he goes. Offer him a one-year deal for 4-5 mill just for the sake of trying.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
I think they're safe. They've not only shown they can effectively fill their roles, but they have good chemistry together.
Chemistry, yes - effective, I disagree. Those guys have tremendous energy but are all fringe players. Moore, for example, is not an effective checking center in the least... he has nice hands and speed, but no passing or finishing skills... if his skill matched his intelligence andd heart, he would have been rookie of the year. So I really doubt Moore will be in the lineup next season.

Betts is a notch above Moore, but lacks toughness/offense altogether. Why dress a guy solely for PK and key faceoffs? We can do better.

Ortmeyer could go either way... his skills really improved during the lockout, and this might be a make or break year, where he'd be expected to reach about 25-30 pts.

Ward seems the most realistic. He has heart, smarts, physicality and he brought some complementary offense. I'd give him a 75% chance at making the team.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Chemistry, yes - effective, I disagree. Those guys have tremendous energy but are all fringe players. Moore, for example, is not an effective checking center in the least... he has nice hands and speed, but no passing or finishing skills... if his skill matched his intelligence andd heart, he would have been rookie of the year. So I really doubt Moore will be in the lineup next season.

Betts is a notch above Moore, but lacks toughness/offense altogether. Why dress a guy solely for PK and key faceoffs? We can do better.

Ortmeyer could go either way... his skills really improved during the lockout, and this might be a make or break year, where he'd be expected to reach about 25-30 pts.

Ward seems the most realistic. He has heart, smarts, physicality and he brought some complementary offense. I'd give him a 75% chance at making the team.

If they are wearing Ranger Blue the first day of training camp, chances are the holdovers from last year, barring injury, will be on the opening night roster.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Pizza

ANYTHINGG could happen, but this thing won't. Shanny's just baiting a hook to see if someone will bite. For a knuckle head number he might go else where, but I think he'd like to finish things as a WING.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
ANYTHINGG could happen, but this thing won't. Shanny's just baiting a hook to see if someone will bite. For a knuckle head number he might go else where, but I think he'd like to finish things as a WING.
I'd be shocked he doesn't retire as a Wing.

Old
07-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Plato

vCash: 100000
I dont see how signing Shanahan for 1 or 2 years could hurt the rangers considering we have the cap room and dont seem to want to spend it elsewhere and i mean lets face it, Jagr dosent have much time left with us and if were serious about a cup run an 80 point multiple cup winner wouldnt really hurt.

Closed Thread